• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341H RA-1341K (cn.003) as seen in Moscow, Russia in August 2018

SA342J YU-HEV (cn.1393) departure in 2016

Comment

Comment

• SA342M Viviane 'CXI' (cn.2079) as seen in Côte d'Ivoire in 2003 (Photo by Benjamin Dhouailly)

Comment

• Gazelle Engineers Required Immediately

Excel Technical Consulting have an immediate requirement for experienced Gazelle Engineers for a UK-based contract starting immediately, running until October 2019.

You will be part of a team supplying high quality maintenance in support of our client's Gazelle operations. Your duties will involve carrying-out daily checks as well as aircraft maintenance. A minimum of six-months exposure to Gazelle maintenance during the past two years is required.

Your work regime will entail a 45 hour week, Monday through Friday, paid at a competitive rate.

So ,if you have recent experience on the Gazelle and are available to start ASAP, then we would like to hear from you today!!!
          http://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/a...al-consulting/

Comment

• Heli-Dog 'Jak' as seen with RA-05708 in Tsalkoti, Abkhazia in March 2019

Avia member Sergey is very kindly introducing us to a new heli-dog 'Jak', seen above with RA-05708 and below with 'Riziy' (Redhead) who recently appeared in Heli-Dogs.

Heli-Dog 'Riziy' as seen with new heli-dog 'Jak' with RA-05708 in Tsalkoti, Abkhazia in March 2019

Once again, our great thanks to Sergey for these lovely shots!

To see more rotary canines, visit Heli-Dogs.

N341ZL Update

Mark Rowlands, owner of N341ZL, advises that he has begun receiving enquiries for his aircraft.

Aviafora is pleased to assist Gazelle owners and buyers in sourcing and selling Gazelles and related equipment through the GazMart.

Mark has also sent us a different photo of N341ZL and which is now showing on the GazMart.

Calling Gazelle Owners with Dogs!

Do you have a Gazelle .. and do you have a dog?

If so we'd like to see them together in a photo .. if you can manage it.

Please send your photos to: aviafora1@gmail.com

Grazie mille!

Comment

• SA341G(S) YU-HVZ (cn.1295) as seen at Katowice Airport in Poland on 16th June 2017 (Photo by Jacek Siemiński)

Custom Nose

Customised carbon fibre nose-piece being fitted to a Gazelle

Would presumably suit black and/or grey Gazelles.

Comment

• G-BKLW

SA341G(S) G-BKLW (cn.1295) NFI

G-BKLW went on to become YU-HVZ aka 'Black Pete'.

Btw, does anyone know the story behind G-BKLW's partly-painted tail? Perhaps Elipix has a better shot of the craft?

Response from Andy

Originally posted by Savoia View Post

Tim Peake with unidentified SA341B at Middle Wallop on 23rd April 2018 (Photo by Andy Brooks)

Not sure if Avia member Andy can help us with the ID for this craft. She was flown to Wallop by the British astronaut to attend a fund-raiser at the Museum of Army Flying.
              Andy replied: It was G-BZYD flown in by Tim Peake under the supervision of John Davis.
              Grazie Andy!

G-BZYD is now owned by Avia member Carl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                Btw, does anyone know the story behind G-BKLW's partly-painted tail?
                The tail fin tip was probably borrowed from her sistership G-BKLV c/n 1307 since both machines were with the same operator (Helicopter Services Ltd.) back in early '80s.

Btw, great finding Sav!

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Elipix does have another shot of G-BKLW but I will need to scan it at weekend. There are two other black markings on the Gazelle. One on the front of the rotor housing and one between the orange lines just aft of the cab -infront of the boom ?

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha, well I am not surprised .. you have photos of 'everything' Elipix!

Grazie Zis. Perhaps we will get a closer look at her unorthodox paint scheme through Elipix's photo.

• SA341G G-BAGL (WA1067) as seen at Farnborough in September 1978

Ferranti JetRanger G-AWJW behind.

Comment

• Avia Member 'Stefano' Takes Delivery of the UK's First SA342M

SA342M G-GLBC (cn.1615) ex-3615/BWA as seen at Crab Tree Farm on 22nd March 2019 (Photo courtesy of Stefano)

Stefano has today received the latest addition to the Crabtree stable, the first SA342M to feature on the British register.

Although Stefano acquired this French fighting bird almost a year ago, the craft has been engaged in a lengthy process of 'de-militarisation' and which meant that she could not be delivered until now.

Today however, the UK's first SA342M landed at Crab Tree Farm to take-up residence as the newest member of the Crabtree collection.

We wish Stefano and those who fly in her, many safe, happy and memorable hours.

Congratulazioni Stefano!

Comment

SA342M G-GLBC (cn.1615)

The dataplate inside the aircraft actually reads 3615 and the airframe log book (from when the aircraft was manufactured) also shows 3615.

According to the French authorities, this is the first 342M to be sold to a private (non-government) owner.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bravo Stefano! I can only say again .. Congratulazioni!

Interestingly, when you first mentioned this project I was reasonably convinced that this was going to be the first private 342M, as indeed is now confirmed.

Is the 342M fitted with stabilisation of some sort?

Regarding her construction number, thank you for this info. It is a curious decision by the French military to prefix these numbers with 4's and 6's because sequentially they belong to the 1's and 2's. Not sure if anyone has a better understanding of this. Jos/Elipix if you are reading this do you have any suggestions as to why ALAT have left the 1 & 2 sequence and have prefixed these with 4 and 6 instead, even to the point of this being recorded on the dataplate?

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congratulations....

I assume we are talking about G-CLBC... somehow in the text its been changed to G-GLBC ????

• Rotorspot
                      Rotorspot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      3615 is the French military serial, 1615 its (official) c/n. And indeed, the correct UK registration is G-CLBC.

Is the 342M fitted with stabilisation of some sort?

Yes the 342M has both Autopilot and SAS.

There is a 342M in USA, but I don’t know it’s history.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This could be the first Crabtree Gaz with full autopilot fitted.

Does anyone know the identity of the US 342M?

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think N342GZ registered to Oregon company Universal Pacific Investment Corp on 8.7.16 serial No.4055 is a 342M

• Fabrice
                      Fabrice commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Indeed, N342GZ is a former ALAT SA342M ("4055" it has been N-registered in 2011.

• Avia Members Who've Been Gazelling Recently

Avia member Anja with Serbian Air Force Gazelle, March 2019

Avia member Adriano with the 'Haelo Gaz' earlier this week

HA-LFH 'Haelo Gaz' at the Devonshire Arms, March 2019

Comment

• SA341G ZU-RLU (cn 1097) as seen in South Africa in March 2019

Serbian SA342 12880 with Mi17

Comment

• Photo of G-BKLW (from my collection, photographer unknown) and one of sister ship G-BKLV showing the same tail fin colours.

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And BKLV having MGB-turbine intersection part from BKLW

Well done Elipix, helpful & resourceful as always!

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie Elipix, lovely shots, thanks for scanning these, much appreciated!

c.1984 for these photos I would say. Both birds (stretched) ended-up with Mike Wood, to become G-MANN (now YU-HVZ) and G-OLDH (now YU-HHH).

• SA341GC I-PNIC (cn.002) seen taking-off in Italy in March 2019

SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen lifting-off from Manchester Barton Airport on 25th March 2019

SA341F2 night flying in South Africa in March 2019

SA342M Viviane 'GBX' as seen in March 2019

3/3 Squadron Les Félins have identified this year's 'make-up' candidate for NATO's Tiger Meet, namely SA342M 'GBX'. Look out for her new paint scheme in the weeks ahead!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
                          3615 is the French military serial, 1615 its (official) c/n. And indeed, the correct UK registration is G-CLBC.
                          What is your source for the official c/n?

I have some original Aerospatiale production documents that show each of the aircraft in the "no Appareil" column as 3615 etc with the first digit underlined. Agreed it is "line number" 1615, but on that paperwork it is clearly shown as 3615 with 1614 and 1616 before and after it.

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wilts, could you post a scan of that doc as it would be interesting to see.

• Helipixman
                            Helipixman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            So a line number is basically a construction number and a French military serial number is what it flies as ?

From what I can see all the French military SA341F variants use the line no/construction number and also fly as the same.

Any French military 342M variant has the 3 or 4 number instead of the 1 or 2 of the line number/construction number. so if the line no. is 1475 it flies as 3475 or if its 2177 it flies as 4177

I can see this discussion going on for a while, so in the meantime I will continue to keep my records as they are and use the Line No/Construction number as it is and use the different number as its flying serial.
                            Last edited by Helipixman; 26th March 2019, 17:59.

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                          So a line number is basically a construction number and a French military serial number is what it flies as ?

From what I can see all the French military SA341F variants use the line no/construction number and also fly as the same.

Any French military 342M variant has the 3 or 4 number instead of the 1 or 2 of the line number/construction number. so if the line no. is 1475 it flies as 3475 or if its 2177 it flies as 4177

I can see this discussion going on for a while, so in the meantime I will continue to keep my records as they are and use the Line No/Construction number as it is and use the different number as its flying serial.

I have the original manufacturing records and that states 3615 and the data plates show this also.

Await change from UK CAA.

Comment

• Helipixman
                            Helipixman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I agree, for as owner you will have the correct documentation showing the number as 3615. That being the case, what will construction number 1615 be, or does it not exist. Or is 1615 a line number as Jos pointed out ?

So basically what is the Gazelle sequence...... line numbers, construction numbers or serial numbers ?

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Agreed, we should sort this out, because on Jos' production list (and which is my 'go to' list for all Gazelle numbers) there would need to be various amendments to '3' and '4' as you have mentioned.

AFAIK construction numbers are essentially the same as serials, with different manufacturers referring to them as one or the other. I am not sure of the definition of a 'line number'. I tend to use construction number, because factually .. that's what it is.

I understand where Jos is coming from, because (quite clearly) the sequence remains in the 1's and 2's and the jump to 3's and 4's is therefore illogical, much as it is (at least to me) when the numbers jump from 2237 to 5001 and which I totally don't understand.

Back to the Crabtree 342M .. would the CAA identify a different construction number?

Oh .. and getting back to Elipix's comment on the French military birds, I think each of them also possess a 'civilian' registration (as weird as that sounds) from which the three letter fuselage code is derived. I believe Zis may know more about this.

• Helipixman
                            Helipixman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            French military registrations....

Interestingly I can use G-CLBC as an example, when it was 3615 it's reported as being at Otterburn ranges, Northumberland on 11.10.92 as code BXE so this would make the french military registration FM-BXE.

I am sure I have cockpit shots of another French military Gazelle which show the use of this type of registration. Another one for me to dig out of my collection.
                            Last edited by Helipixman; 26th March 2019, 23:16.

c.1984 for these photos I would say. Both birds (stretched) ended-up with Mike Wood, to become G-MANN (now YU-HVZ) and G-OLDH (now YU-HHH).

Don’t you mean Martin Wood?

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sì Stefano, I meant Martin. Age creeping-up on me! In former times I had a check and training captain named Mike Wood whereas I have yet to meet Martin, although Elipix knows him.

• Here is a Shot of a French military Gazelle cockpit showing the piece of tape with the serial number 3548 and the French military registration FM-BSB

Photo from the Helipixman collection

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice one Elpix!

• French Consul General to Australia Monsieur Jacques Dircks-Dilly (left) and Australian Minister for Lands Bill Crabtree, in front of SA341G VH-WLS (cn.1361) at Nielsen Park, Vaucluse in Sydney on 25th October 1976 at the launch of the National Parks and Wildlife Service helicopter operation

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Another Crabtree associated with a Gazelle!

• I note md600driver states on post #3762 await change from UK CAA regarding his Gazelle G-CLBC

Currently it shows serial no as 1615 and previous identity as 3615. So this begs the question where did they get that information from regarding the serial number ? As the owner states he has documentation showing 3615.

Comment

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think the specific 342M & L airframes have genuine production line 1... and 2... c/ns but for some reason (maybe to avoid double-marking with some other ALAT helicopter type) they mark them with 3... & 4... serials. Sadly I can't find any photo of any ALAT Gaz data plate to check this assumption.

However, let's hope some French Gazelle expert will join Aviafora and help us with this enigma

• md600driver
                            md600driver commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Got confirmation today from CAA that they now accept the serial no is 3615 not 1615
                            Just before deregistration to Hungarian register happy days hopefully flying soon

• Fabrice
                            Fabrice commented
                            Editing a comment
                            French ALAT SA 341s retain their original CN (ie 1027, 1562...), but all the SA 342M and L1 have their original Aérospatiale CN augmented by 2000 (except, for some reason, cn 1732, SA342M noted as... 1732!), so "3615" is CN 1615, "4035" is 2035, "4225" is 2225 ans so on...
                            But, please, don't ask me the reason!

• SA341H 12806 (cn.033) as seen in Serbia in 2013 (Photo by Igor Salinger)

L'Armée de Terre, training between the EHRA2
                          (Squadron of reconnaissance and attack helicopters 2)
                          and the Black Devils of the 61st Artillery Regiment
                          (61eme régiment d'artillerie)

Comment

• SA341G G-IZEL (WA1098) as seen at Weston-super-Mare in the 1990's (Photo courtesy of Collezione Elipix/Helipix Collection)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post

N419GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1419 changed ownership to Michael Hsing,Yarrow Point,Washington (state) on 16-Jul-2018.
                              The next day (17-Jul-2018) Michael reserved N981MH for this machine (reflecting his initials).

Registration N981MH finally taken up on 19-Mar-2019.

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Jos!

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Jos, thanks for info!

• Serbian Air Force Gazelles

SA342L1 4225 (cn.2225) 'GET' as seen in Valencia, Spain on 23rd June 2018 (Photo by Sylvain Gourheu)

Comment

• SA340 Prototype 01

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  A real piece of Gaz nostalgia there. Interesting to see the Alouette III stabiliser end-plates and what is probably an Alouette II tail-rotor. Nice one XB!

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Great finding XB! A Gazelle before Gazelle

• Hi guys! Long time no posted here, I hope you don't mind me

I wonder if any of you might know what's the story behind this Gazelle airframe which could be seen at the Heli Technique website https://helitechnique.com/photos/ (see 'Maquette Gazelle' section)

Judging by the detail on it's nose I guess it's one of Germany Police 341Gs. It was 'converted' into those fake UK AH.1 as the pictures show. Any clue when these pics were taken and where is it now?

Comment

• Sent you a photo of dataplate by email I can’t get the hang of posting here

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                I think the specific 342M & L airframes have genuine production line 1... and 2... c/ns but for some reason (maybe to avoid double-marking with some other ALAT helicopter type) they mark them with 3... & 4... serials. Sadly I can't find any photo of any ALAT Gaz data plate to check this assumption.

However, let's hope some French Gazelle expert will join Aviafora and help us with this enigma

Comment

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Much appreciated! The 'catch' is in the fact the genuine 1615 was made in 1977 as 341F but upgraded during 1980 into 342M standard and got new c/n!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                I wonder if any of you might know what's the story behind this Gazelle airframe which could be seen at the Heli Technique website https://helitechnique.com/photos/

Judging by the detail on it's nose I guess it's one of Germany Police 341Gs.

It was 'converted' into those fake UK AH.1 as the pictures show. Any clue when these pics were taken and where is it now?

South Africa.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  1014 F-GGPH is in South Africa?
                              Working...
                              X