Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More G-BCHM

Sav, in addition to your nice photo of G-BCHM here is a shot of her classic interior at the time.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastico Zis! 👌 This is the first close-up photo of her interior that I have seen! 👍

Interestingly, the diamond-pattern employed in the headlining (which was quite common in the 70's and which featured in Ferranti's aircraft) is now a popular design for seats.

The photo I posted was courtesy of Ken Haynes who last year scanned a whole batch of previously unseen 206 photos for me and who has recently released a couple of Gaz images from the 70's which I will also post.

• SA341G #1022 N505HA at Breighton in July 2009 (Photo: Simon Willson)

AAC Gazelle over Belfast, art print

https://www.derekblois.co.uk/

Comment

• Following on from yesterday's post featuring G-BCHM, I am sharing another one of Ken's photos, this time showcasing McAlpine's G-BBHW.

I referred yesterday to the tail of a 206 visible in Ken's shot of G-BCHM and went on to share that I had flown to and from Farnborough aboard G-BFAL during Farnborough '78. Now in this shot, taken a year later, G-BFAL's tail is visible. Also just visible behind BFAL is I-CDVM which I flew in during Cranfield '79 when this photo was taken. This was a LongRanger II owned by Agusta and used as a demonstrator despite the fact that Agusta didn't actually produce any LongRangers.

Regarding G-BBHW, she was owned by McAlpine's from 1974 to 1991. In the early 80's (1981 I believe) she was resprayed by former Avia member the late Adrian Batchelor and was thereafter seen wearing a black and cream livery.

SA341G G-BBHW (WA1098) as seen at Cranfield on 6th September 1979 (Photo by Ken Haynes)

Comment

• SA341G #1072 C-GOCA as seen in Courtenay Airpark in May 2005 (Photo: Neil Aird)

I came across this poster of a movie filmed in 1988:

Any idea which SA341G this could be?

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          There are a couple which are similar, namely N18BC and N505NM, but I don't think it is either of these.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
        There are a couple which are similar, namely N18BC and N505NM, but I don't think it is either of these.
        Looks a bit like the one from the rooftop landing in MacGyver which encountered the onset of ground resonance.

Comment

• As we near the end of this little batch of Gaz photos from Ken Haynes, we look today at the lovely G-BBSI, the second of two Westland-built Gazelles bought by the McAlpine brothers. G-BBHW (which featured in my previous post) was acquired in July of 1974 and was so liked by the brothers that a second Gazelle (for family use, primarily younger brother Kenneth and his family) was immediately ordered and delivered just two months later in September of the same year.

SA341G G-BBSI (WA1138) as seen at Old Warden on 30th May 1976 (Photo by Ken Haynes)

Comment

• Re: the unknown Gazelle from the previous post, I think we got it!

It's RP-C224 #1490 'stretched' one. I should read more carefully where the movie was filmed
          https://www.imcdb.org/m96511.html

Btw, marking Sav's words about 'lovely nostalgic photos kicking around the Philippines'
          http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...2621#post12621

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Bravo Zis! 👍

My concern however is that a mechanic (or someone) appears to be trying to conduct an unconventional inspection of the Fenestron while lying on his back!

Did this become part of the Crabtree collection or go somewhere else?

• New Gazelles Delivered to Niger Army

Two more SA342M Gazelles have been delivered to the Niger Army: 5U-MHL and 5U-MHM.

Details of the 5 delivered thus far (all ex-French military) are as follows:

5U-MHE c/n 3477
          5U-MHF c/n 3531
          5U-MHG c/n 3547
          5U-MHL c/n 3851
          5U-MHM c/n ????

Comment

• Mini ALAT Gazelle

https://dev2.heli-factory.org/en/aerospatiale-gazelle/

Comment

• UR-ACCA

SA341G #1072 UR-ACCA NFI

This was formerly C-GOCA, a photo of which I posted just recently.

It saddens me to witness the tragic loss of life on daily basis in Ukraine. Let us hope that sense will prevail.

Comment

• 1975 RAF Helicopter Formation Demonstration Team - The Gazelles

Comment

• Per Dunstano!

SA341G(S) N341SG (1310) as seen Stateside in 1977 (Foto per gentile concessione di Zishelix)

Mack Truck Corporation's SA341G(S) N14MT (1455) as seen
                over New York in 1978

Comment

• dunstan
                  dunstan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  very nice video, thank you from northern California
                  dave d

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My brother, Carlo, lived in San Francisco for some 30 years and I have visited there many times. He has since moved to New Jersey. When visiting him I would self-fly-hire 206's and later AStars from AstroCopters at Oakland Airport and take him and his family flying. Astro's chief pilot, who used to check me out, was an absolute gem.

Not so many Gaz vids from California, but there is this one in case you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g4lEDOdtiM

• SA341D G-ONNE (WA1089) as seen at Duxford on 12th November 2022 (Photo by David Whitworth)

Unconfirmed Gaz News

As yet unconfirmed, but this 'may' be a new SA341B being prepared at Stapleford in the style of G-UNNS.

New Garmin panel for South African SA342.

Comment

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is a 341F2 not a 342.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie XB. Do you happen to know the reg?

• Continuing the North American theme posted by Sav here is SA341G #1262 N341ZL as seen near Burbank, California in 2019

SA342M1 F-MGAS c/n 3947 fires a training missile during Exercise Semper Thunder on Camp Lejeune, North Carolina in June 29th, 2019.

Comment

• I was delighted when I came across a video clip (below) featuring SA341G c/n 1509 N401S in its original livery:

(See from 2:04 to 5:30 min)

Since good quality images of Gazelles from the early production periods are quite difficult to find, this discovery encouraged me to announce

Request for Leads or Contacts

Together with other members of Aviafora, I am still on my search for historic Gazelle photos. In particular I am looking for photos of early Gazelles in North America as there seems to be a gap in the photo record of these aircraft.

I am looking for any leads or contacts with people who used to work with Vought Helicopters Inc. later Aerospatiale Helicopter Co. in the US, mechanics, pilots, admin staff, anyone in fact who may have photos of the Gazelles which VHI / AHC imported from France.

If anyone is able to help please send me a PM or email me at stipe2y@gmail.com

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated!
                  Last edited by Zishelix; 22nd November 2022, 13:49.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice one Zis! 👍

It would be great if you could track down some of the original Vought staff.

• Gazelles Returned to Hungarian Register

A recent Hungarian aircraft register (dated 04-Nov-2022) shows the following two 'new' entries:

HA-LFJ SA341G (1277), ex 2-WMAN, HA-LFJ, YU-MAN, G-WMAN, ZS-HUR, N4491L, YV-54CP;
                  registered to JAMES WIGHTMAN, BALLYNAHINCH CO-DOWN, N-IRELAND

HA-PJB SA341G (1392), ex 2-PJBA, HA-PJB, YU-PJB, G-BZLA, N2TV, N49534;
                  registered to STEVEN ATHERTON, CRABTREE FARM, DEIGHTON, YORK

Both have an Airworthiness Review Certificate (ARC) dated 05-Oct-2022

Comment

• md600driver
                    md600driver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes that’s true.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grazie mille Jos, much appreciated! 👍

It would be very interesting (as well as extremely useful for our readers, as we always have one or more potential Gaz buyers at any given time) to know what the experience was like on the '2' reg and to hear some comments about the advantages and disadvantages of registering with specific countries.

Nice one Zis! 👍

It would be great if you could track down some of the original Vought staff.

I can put you in touch will the senior sales representative from Vought/Aerospatiale USA. He may have photos as he sold many Gazelles in the states as well as far off countries.

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll be more than grateful! Please check your email.
                    Last edited by Zishelix; 25th November 2022, 07:13.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You see Zis, already some answers!

• SA341G c/n 1042 N341AS at Aérodrome de Namur, Temploux à Suarlée, Belgium in March 2022 (Photo: Kelvin Jahae)

Soko's 342L c/n 118 YU-HEA operated by the Serbian Police NFI

Comment

• Chinese Army SA342L LH-4301, NFI

Restored airframe of SA340-002 F-ZWRA at Ailes Anciennes Museum in Toulouse

Comment

• Another New Gazelle on the UK Register

G-CMLO Westland 341B Gazelle AH.1, c/n 1506, ex XZ294

Registered 22-Nov-22 to STEPHEN ATHERTON, CRABTREE FARM, YORK

(What a remarkable date )

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow, another one at Crabtree Farm! Congrats Steve!

Thanks for info, Jos

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie mille Jos! 👍

'𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆' — 22.11.22

𝐄𝐥𝐢𝐩𝐢𝐱, seeing as you are developing a UK Gaz list, can you give us the current tally (from publicly available info) on the current number of Crabtree Gazelles?

• Wishing our US members and readers ..

Comment

• UK Army Air Corps advanced Gazelle simulator!

Comment

• SA341G G-BBSH (WA1124) as seen at Cranfield on 5th September 1975 (Photo by Ken Haynes)

The last in this series of classic Gaz images from Ken Haynes.

After operating in the UK during the early 70's this aircraft was exported to Switzerland.

Comment

𝐄𝐥𝐢𝐩𝐢𝐱, seeing as you are developing a UK Gaz list, can you give us the current tally (from publicly available info) on the current number of Crabtree Gazelles?

Waiting to see if anyone gets it correct I got it wrong earlier this week.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bravo Jos, nice work! 👍

I think Elipix is distracted with the footie at present. ⚽ 🥱 😄

'.. 𝑰 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌.' — 🤣 Ah Stefano, you make me laugh!

Btw, this would be Zishelix's definition of heaven, struggling to accurately count the number of Gazelles in one's care! 😆

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment

• Helipixman
                              Helipixman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Typical I have not got my Gazelle records with me again til next weekend, on the whole I agree with Jos but there are others, think three AH.1s still to be registered and there are other ex military in his stable ! Yes I am watching the footie but may not be after Wales go out on Tuesday !

• SA341C G-CBGZ (WA1915) as seen on 18th November 2022 (Photo by Mark P.)

If anyone has any clues as to where the above photo may have been taken, please leave a comment below, grazie.

SA341B XZ320 (WA1613) as seen at Manchester Barton on 25th October 1022 (Photo by Michael Powney)

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                            Don't forget my favorite one!

You mean HA-PJB, is that your favourite Crabtree Gaz? Do you prefer stretched Gazelles over the regular ones? Also, do you know what happened to that Philippine registered bird in the photo?

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I meant the Philippine one, it looks like even the owner 'forgot' her.

Re: stretched or regular, I like all Gazelles but it is their livery, operating history and ownership details that I find most interesting.

Also, do you know what happened to that Philippine registered bird in the photo?

She’s in Hungary awaiting the completion of some work on her engine.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie Stefano! 👍

There you go Zis, the Philippine bird is being worked on.

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for info! I'd love to see her gracing the sky again

• SA341G c/n 1032 N341AH featuring in 'The Cat From The Outer Space' movie 1978

Comment

• SA341G c/n 1115 G-SFTH at Eastleigh during Spitfire Anniversary 1986

SA341G #1012 JA9098 belonging to Toho Airways as seen in 1987

Comment

• The first Soko built Gazelle, HO-42 (341H) c/n 007 12615

This Gazelle is currently for sale on the GazMart

SA341G(S) #1295 YU-HVZ as seen in September 2015

Comment

• SA341B ZB669 (WA1950) as seen at Glasgow Airport on 1st November 2022 (Photo by Iain Mackenzie)

SA342MV F-MGCG as seen at Aérodrome de Grenoble on 19th September 2020 (Photo by Thierry Gay)

Comment

Working...
                                  X