The Rotary Nostalgia Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More memories from PNG ..

Bell 212 P2-PHJ (on lease to Pacific Helicopters from Bristow) as seen aboard Barge Pegasus in the Sepik River in 1987

Comment

• The name doesn't ring a bell. I flew there in the late 80's and early 90's.

Of 500's and Papua New Guinea ..

Rotorwork Hughes 500D P2-AHN outside Manam Island Catholic Church, Papua New Guinea, in 1988

This shot is from 1988 when I was flying a short contract for the local Volcanological Observatory.

When it came to Sunday I wanted to attend Mass .. and this was quite literally the only place to park.

Just so happens that Manam Island (which is a volcano) erupted this morning.

Have some more shots of 'shooting' laser distance measurements between the mainland and Manam Island, and which I will post at a later date.

Comment

• The only information provided with this photo was 'Westland Whirlwind'. If this is in fact the case, and it is not a US-based S-55, then there is every possibility that this could be one of the Christian Salvesen 'whaling' Whirlwinds - see page 3.

Comment

• RAF Westland Whirlwind HAR.2 XL109 (cn. WA148) as seen in Borneo in 1965 (Photo: Ronnie Bell)

Seen here with members of the Gordon Highlanders.

This craft was written-off on 17th October 1970 after suffering an engine failure over the sea off Sai Kung in Hong Kong. The airframe was recovered and taken to RAF Kai Tak, although she never flew again.

Comment

• Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger III EI-BKT (cn 8562) as seen at Fairyhouse Racecourse in County Meath c.1980s (Photo: Martin Dignam)

Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger III EI-BKT as seen at Fairyhouse Racecourse, County Meath on 21st August 1983 (Photo: Ken Meegan)

Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger III EI-BKT as seen at Westpoint Heliport, Dublin on 15th August 1990 (Photo: Markus Herzig)

Comment

• Tarman
              Tarman commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not often that I can say 'I've flown that' but I have flown EI-BKT when it was registered as G-SKII around about 2007 flying from Cumbernauld to Kintore !

• Hoveratsix
              Hoveratsix commented
              Editing a comment
              Badly damaged in 2002 after suffering engine failure.

• Hughes 300B (269B) G-AVVS (cn 0284) as seen at Biggin Hill on 1st June 1971 (Photo: David Tanner)

At the time of this photo, this little craft was owned by Ryman Ltd. Two years later she was bought by Walter 'Wally' Holmes of Heli-Leeds, and in 1998 she was sold to Italy where she became I-SCVB.

Before coming to the UK she flew in the Republic of Ireland as EI-APN, although for how long I am not sure.

Comment

• THAMESDOWN HELICOPTERS....

As promised for Phil (how many of these did you fly) here are some shots from my collection of Thamesdown Helicopters 206's G-RODS, RODY & ROGR

Helipixman

Comment

• G-RODS used to be Noel Edmonds' machine, of course.

Rod Crook had a thing about resurrecting scrapped aircraft, of which G-ROGR was one, and which was refurbished by Skyline at Wycombe. On one occasion before one bout of pleasure flying I was doing the preflight whirl of the controls (freedom of movement check) when the cyclic came off in my hand!

I will dig around and see what else I can come up with!

I also flew at Kilroes in Manchester and I think I have some shots of theirs in deepest Wales lifting stuff up a mountain.

Comment

• G-TREE....

Seen below during pleasure flying at Ingliston, Edinburgh on 25.7.15

G-TREE Bell 206B JetRanger III s/n 2826 was an Alan Mann import and registered to them on 15.6.87. It was for new owner LGH Aviation Ltd (Ian Leslie Craig-Wood) hence the registration and registered on 7.3.88. Its current owner from 7.6.04 is Roger Eaton who trades as Bush Woodlands. Just wonder if he purchased this machine for the registration ?

Comment

• Tarman: Great to hear of your involvement with 'BKT'. I never got to fly her, but did 'ride shotgun' in her with John Barnicle from Ballydoyle to Dublin one time when EI-BFK was in for maintenance.

Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II G-SKII (cn 8562) as seen at Cork on 28th May 2008

Originally posted by Phil Croucher View Post
                    On one occasion before one bout of pleasure flying I was doing the preflight whirl of the controls (freedom of movement check) when the cyclic came off in my hand!

I also flew at Kilroes in Manchester
                    I can imagine this must have been somewhat disconcerting!

Re: Air Kilroe .. G-TKHM was originally owned by the aircraft collector Doug Arnold and this craft (together with G-OIML) was among the first Agusta-built JetRanger III's delivered to the UK. She wore 'Ferrantiesque' colours for many years, although the hue of her yellow was tinged with a slight gold/bronze finish.

Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger III G-TKHM (cn 8557) as seen at Otterspool Promenade, Liverpool, in 1983

Regarding 'Roger' (G-ROGR) .. this is how she looked when I knew her:

Bell 206B JetRanger II G-ROGR (cn 405) as seen at Cranfield on 7th July 1984 (Photo: Alan Mosiezny)

This was while she was owned by Roger Woodward (although the craft was registered in his wife's name). Met Roger a couple of times at his London office which, IIRC, used to be just off Park Lane.

ROGR/RODY/WLLY did of course start out as G-AXMM, imported by Bill Armstrong (Autair). She originally wore a brown-tone scheme (below):

Bell 206A G-AXMM (cn 405) as seen at Luton on 4th December 1977 (Photo: Peter Nicholson)

Elipix: G-TREE was after my time in the UK but .. speaking of trees (and Roger Woodward above) ..

Beechcraft Baron G-WOOD as seen at Ostend-Bruges Airport on 8th September 2007 (Photo: Stefan De Sutter)

G-TREE Refuelling in 2008:

Comment

• For Elipix and Wiggy ..

Dickson Motors Agusta-Bell 206A G-AWLL (cn 8076) as seen at Glasgow's Abbotsinch Airport in 1975 (Photo: Hugh McMillan)

Visible behind 'Double Lima' is McAlpine's SA341G G-BBHW. As it happens G-AWLL, which was delivered to the UK in 1968, started out as a McAlpine bird.

Comment

• I'm from Glasgow too Sav !!

G-AWLL was the first aircraft, let alone helicopter, that I flew in.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great stuff Tarman. I shall try and dig up some additional shots of this craft!

I may have to pass by bonnie Scotland in the future!

• Helipixman
                          Helipixman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well that's three of us now....

Wiggy, Tarman and Elipix. We will have to start a Scottish Nostalgia page. I have plenty of shots taken in Scotland from about the 90s onwards.

Helipixman

• Of Abbotsinch, McAlpine, 70's JetRangers, and aircraft with the letters A, W, and L in their registration ..

HS125-3B G-AWWL (cn 25169) with Bell 206A G-AVTE (cn 066) as seen at Glasgow's Abbotsinch Airport on 12th February 1974
                        (Photo: Paul Thallon)

Seen here at Abbotsinch is G-AVTE alongside McAlpine's HS125. G-AVTE was the first Bell-built 206 in the UK, and the tenth JetRanger overall delivered to the UK. Of the first ten 206's registered in the UK, only two were non-Bristow - G-AVTE (above) and which was owned by BSR of Staffordshire, and G-AVSN (the fourth to be registered in the UK) and which belonged to Ferranti.

While considering Scotland, can anyone recall whether there was a "Heli-Scot" prior to its current manifestation, ie. during the 70's or 80's? I wouldn't mind drawing-up a list of Scottish (domestic) helicopter operators between 1960-1980.

Btw, the Colonel had a story regarding the origins of this airport's name but, as applies to many of his stories, it is unrepeatable in public.

Comment

• Does that Jetranger still have wheels attached to the pop outs ?

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Tarman yes, the ground handling wheels are still attached. This issue cropped-up on the old thread when someone piped-up and explained that in such cases they were bolted onto the undercarriage. Ferranti never allowed this practice; though, (sadly) not for safety reasons, but because the Colonel didn't like the look of them still attached!

As you probably recall, in those days 206 'boot extenders' didn't exist, and the float inflation bottles occupied the for'ard section of the boot. If you you also stowed the ground handling wheels and overnight covers there, you quickly began running out of space, and which became a nuisance if you had pax with baggage for example.

• McAlpine Helicopters

The McAlpine company colours were red & black on a white background as can be seen on G-BBHW above. However, G-AWLL and its replacement G-BBSI carried the same pale green livery; this was taken from the McAlpine coat of arms. This was appropriate as they were Kenneth McAlpine's personal helicopters.

Comment

• De Havilland, many thanks for this info. Great stuff!

Another shot of 'Double Lima':

Agusta-Bell 206A G-AWLL (cn 8076) as seen at Gloucester Staverton Airport in August 1974 (Photo: Keith C Wilson)

Owned at the time of this photo (and as pointed-out by Ahh de Havilland) by Kenneth McAlpine.

And another take of G-AVTE .. still wearing her ground handling wheels!

Bell 206A G-AVTE (cn 066) as seen on the General Aviation Apron at Heathrow on 7th July 1976 (Photo: Trevor Warne)

Comment

• This is a shot of G-TKHM from Kilroe - i was slinging cement and stuff up a mountainside at Blanaeu to stop the mountain falling on the village but low cloud stopped play.

Phil

Comment

• And when the weather cleared-up a bit:

Comment

• Been digging around the log book and came up with the following:

Flying G-COIN when she belonged to Cabair

Flying G-ROGR at about the time the cyclic decided to come 'undone' during a pleasure flying job somewhere following the steam fairs.

Flying visitors to the Isle of Mann TT races with G-TKHM and ended-up with a drinking partner ..

Comment

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Some nice nostalgia there Filippo!

I hope the guys from Booker bought you a bottle of your favourite tipple in compensation for the inconvenience of having a disconnected cyclic in your hand! Surely a most disconcerting experience!

G-COIN is of course ex-EI-AWA which used to belong to Denis Ferranti.

• One for Sav ..

G-JLBI (the Alton Towers LongRanger) in her hangar at Tilston Hall:

Comment

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Lovely to see the 'Towers Ranger" in her home. JLB was reviewing the plans for this by the time the Colonel left, so I never got to see the end product .. till now!

• HELISCOT LTD

There was another Heliscot based at Inverness in the 70-80s. It was founded by Andrew Neal & Francis Chamberlain in 1974. I think an additional director was Peter Scott - Peter Scott Agriculture at Walton Wood (G-BDFO, G-BEFY, G-BFLR)

Heliscot had Hillers G-BDFO, G-BEDK, G-BEFY, G-BFLR and Skeeter G-SARO.

No connection to the current Heliscot Helicopters (Scotland) Ltd, that is Graham Martlew who operates Longranger G-PTOO.

I also have a list of all Helicopter operators in Scotland from beginning to present day (Hope to type it up for SAV 60-80s only)

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Bravo Elipix! I thought this was the case.

Looking forward to seeing your Scottish operators list, and which I am sure will include PLM.

• This is my first underslung load with Burnthills - a washing machine that someone won as a prize, delivered to a destination somewhere in Edinburgh. The Hoover sign was about to fly off by the time we were finished!

G-CHOP on pleasure flying duties somewhere in South Wales, being flown by Peter Boitel-Gill

Comment

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Ah .. "Katie" (G-BAKT) .. the first helicopter I ever flew in! She will always be so special to me. One day I will share some photos from that memorable day.

Re: G-CHOP .. ex-Army Air Corps Westland Sioux XT221, which after being de-commissioned, was bought by Alec Wortley. I read that this craft appeared in a 2011 movie called "X-Men: First Class"?

To see G-CHOP from 1980, click on the link to the right >>> http://alecwortley.co.uk/hg14.htm

• Air Hanson's Bell 206L G-BFTR (cn 139) as seen at Shoreham on 30th July 1980 (Photo: Ray Barber)

Comment

• Ferranti Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II G-AZZB (cn 8327) as seen at Cranfield Aerodrome on 8th September 1979 (Photo: Ray Barber)

Flew frequently in this craft as a youngster (along with the other Ferranti 206's) and got to fly her myself in the early 80's when the late Colin Bates gave me a base check.

'ZB' was bought by Air Hanson in 1981 and then sold to what used to be known as Valley of Gleneagles Helicopters (later Gleneagle Helicopters) in 1984.

Comment

• United Marine's Agusta-Bell 206A G-AYBE (cn 8192) as seen at Cranfield in September 1976 (Photo: Mike Springet)

Shortly after this photo, this craft was exported to France where she flew as F-GALU for the best part of two decades. She returned to the UK in 1996 and was eventually registered as G-GUST prior to being withdrawn from use in 2011.

Comment

• Island Helicopters Bell 206L (possibly N16959) over Manhattan c. 1979

Island helicopters Bell 206L N16959 as seen at East 34th Street Heliport in New York on 15th April 1981

Comment

• Some more nostalgia from Filippo's days ..

Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II G-RODS (cn 8435) as seen at Gloucester Staverton on 15th May 1988 (Photo courtesy of Zishelix)

Seen here on hire to Blades Helicopters.

Comment

• Lawrie Barratt with Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II G-BEKH (cn 8531) c. 1978

G-BEKH in action ..

Comment

• Bell 206B G-BAUM (cn 987) as seen at Gloucester Staverton on 9th June 1974 (Photo: Bernard Mills)

This Bell-built 206 was delivered to Fairoaks Aviation in 1973 before being sold to SG Blair & Co. of Runcorn in Cheshire (a plumbing and heating firm). In 1977 she was sold to Brands Hatch-based Shawline Helicopters and the following year joined the PLM fleet at Dalcross in Inverness.

Sadly, ten years after her arrival in the UK, on 13th July 1983, this craft came a cropper at Glen Almond in Perthshire during an external load-lifting operation (accident report).

Comment

• SCOTTISH Companies 1960-80s - for Sav

I have more in depth info on each company/individual, but to start with here is a list of company names.....
                                                I have left out the main oil related offshore companies which we all know about.

Airgo Ltd (Glasgow)
                                                Air Service Training Ltd (Perth)
                                                Airwork Services Ltd (Perth)
                                                Burnthills Plant Hire Ltd (Glasgow)
                                                David McKenzie Carnegie (Laurenckirk) Agricultural spraying
                                                Francis Fitzralph Chamberlain
                                                Christian Salvesen Ltd (Edinburgh)
                                                Dickson Motors (Perth) Ltd
                                                Dollar Air Services Ltd
                                                Fife & Kinross Motor Auctions Ltd
                                                Forfar Potato Co Ltd
                                                Fras-Air Ltd
                                                Alexander Muir Simpson Gilmour (SAGIL Helicopters)
                                                Walter Glen
                                                Gleneagles Helicopters Ltd (Edinburgh)
                                                Heliscot Ltd (Inverness)
                                                Jack Tatties Ltd
                                                Mackan Group Ltd (Aberdeen)
                                                Management Aviation Ltd (Aberdeen)
                                                Daniel Simpson McGillivray (Heli Highland/ Wasp)
                                                Alexander George Norrie (Turriff)
                                                North Scottish Helicopters Ltd (Aberdeen/Inverness)
                                                PLM Helicopters Ltd
                                                Sims Automatics Ltd (Glasgow)
                                                Taxicabs (City) Ltd (Glasgow)
                                                Thistle Metallics Ltd (Motherwell)
                                                Valley of Gleneagles Helicopters Ltd
                                                Western Air (Scotland) Partners Ltd (WASP) (Glasgow)

I'm sure more will be added

There were a few companies with helis before the 60s and hundreds more between the 80s and current date... but that's another list !

Helipixman

Comment

Working...
                                                X