commented on 's reply
    Nice one Warty!

• Warty
    replied
    The Good Days: A Scout Video

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied
    628 certainly seems to have been in the wars!

Here's another take of her in McPhee Pond:

Plus some additional photos:

Lt. Col. Anthony Farrar-Hockley as seen with Major General Anthony Ward-Booth in 1984

Tony Ward-Booth was known to my late godfather. I met his son Tim (who sadly passed away) in East Africa in the mid-80's.

XR628-B (cn F9528) as seen at Plymouth Airport on 25th July 1970 (Photo: Chris England)

XR628 (cn F9528) as seen at Southend Airport on 6th August 1978 (Photo: Peter Nicholson)

Leave a comment:

• Warty
    replied
    Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    Swimming Scout
    Westland Scout XR628 as seen on 8th June 1982 in McPhee Pond, the Falkland Islands
    Carrying on with the Para connection - Dick was Para Reg - this particular aircraft (XR628) was shot down on 24 May 1964, carrying 3 Para CO (Lt Col Farrar-Hockley) in the Radfan/Aden. He was in this Scout reconnoitring the Wadi Dhubsan area, Radfan. The aircraft was hit by enemy fire and the pilot made an emergency landing behind enemy lines. Farrar-Hockley rejoined the unit and was awarded the Bar to his Distinguished Service Order for his leadership. The aircraft was subsequently recovered.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Ah Warty, you are truly spoiling us with these fantastic shots. Wonderful!

• Warty
    replied
    Another picture of Dick Kalinski getting out of a Scout. This time above Sek Kong in the New Territories (Hong Kong).

(from the Army Air Corps Journal 1984)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied
    Swimming Scout

Westland Scout XR628 as seen on 8th June 1982 in McPhee Pond, the Falkland Islands

This photo shows the event detailed in post #1 under the 'Falklands' sub-heading.

From 656 Squadron Association:

While the Squadron was preparing to move to Fitzroy on 08 June the devastating air attack on the LSL's Sir Tristram and Sir Galahad took place. Some of the attacking Skyhawks gave Dick Kalinski and Lance Corporal Julian Rigg in Scout XR628 a very unpleasant surprise; Kalinski immediately took evasive action by getting down as low as possible, bringing the helicopter to a hover a few feet above McPhee Pond.

His day did not improve as, when the coast was clear and he engaged power to resume tasking, he suffered a tail rotor driveshaft failure, with the result that the Scout had to make a rapid forced-landing in the shallow freshwater pond. The crew suffered not much more than wet feet, using the cabin door as a raft to reach the shore, but it would be several days before the helicopter could be recovered. John Greenhalgh picked up the crew,

‘I located the rather wet and bedraggled team on the lakeshore and so I closed down to establish what had happened. While I was being briefed, a Skyhawk flew over us very low and it was being followed by another so we cocked our weapons and prepared to fire at the second as it bore down on us when one of the aircrewmen, who was more able at aircraft recognition than the pilots shouted “Harrier!!” So we desisted!’

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! Brilliant .. wonderful stuff Warty! What a 'blessing' to have the failure on start-up as opposed to some other time.

• Warty
    replied

Late 1981 in northern Germany. Engine failed on startup and the exercise was moving to a different location. No time to do an engine change so it was airlifted back to second line.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Great stuff and thank you for these wonderful photos which are fantastic. When and wherever possible I try to credit the photographers but .. this information is not always available and among those of us who collect aviation images there are countless thousands of shots which are exchanged between collectors which have little or no information and which I personally refer to as 'Vera Lynn' photographs!

• Warty
    commented on 's reply
    it was about a four day trip home in appalling weather.

• Warty
    commented on 's reply
    PS: I am not getting at anybody here, I released these to the public domain so anyone can do what they want with them. Just trying to get things as accurate as possible

• Warty
    commented on 's reply
    Another of my photographs ... 1983, probably September but possibly August

• Warty
    commented on 's reply
    Caption needs correcting - I know, I was that soldier ( I took the photograph. ) It was the end of Excercise Clockwork 1979 and I got back to Plymouth on 23 March.

• Savoia
    replied

Westland Scouts at AAC Middle Wallop on 4th August 1977

I would like to disclose the purpose of the 'M' shaped paintwork on the nose of the 'resting' winch-equipped Scout but .. I am at a loss to explain it at present.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Westland Wasp HAS1 (P-531-2) G-KAXT (cn F9669) as seen at Old Warden on 5th June 2016 (Photo: Tom Howe) Ex-XT787

I suppose we can accommodate the occasional Wasp!

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie FS - Lovely to eventually find out the answers to these queries, many thanks!

• Fene Strong
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, it has been quite a few years since i worked on Scouts but i think the reason for not being painted was for ease checking for cracks, so you didn't have to remove the paint for regular penetrant dye testing, these were common areas of cracks. Was also a good contact point for static discharge prior to connecting underslung loads.

• Savoia
    replied

Westland Scout in snow at Hobart Barracks in Germany in the late 1970's (Photo: J. Williams, via Andy Ottaway)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Westland Scout XT626 as seen at Middle Wallop on 7th November 2015 (Photo: Gary Beale)

Army Air Corps Historic Flight.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Army Air Corps Westland Scout XT624 (cn F9630) as seen at Greenham Common on 7th July 1973 (Photo: RA Scholefield)

Assigned to the AAC Development and Trials Squadron at Middle Wallop.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Army Air Corps Historic Flight Westland Scout XT626 as seen at Middle Wallop on 19th July 2012 (Photo: Lloyd Horgan)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Army Air Corps Westland Scout XV121 (cn F9696) as seen landing at Middle Wallop on 19th July 1993 (Photo: Joop de Groot)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Army Air Corps Westland Scout, from 660 Squadron, landing at Ping-Chau Island (Hong Kong), on excercise from RAF Sek Kong c. late 70's or early 80's

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

Westland Scout attached to 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron landing on HMS Hermes off the coast of northern Norway on 1st March 1970

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied
    Scout Landing

Scout videos are fairly rare so I appreciated happening upon this clip.

No soundtrack although one can hear some faint commentary in the background, though unrelated to the clip.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied
    Some Scout and Wasp images posted on behalf of Denissimo!

Westland Scout (cn F9630) G-NOTY as flown by Denissimo

Westland Scout (cn F9740) G-BXRR

L-R: Denissimo, Blades Editor Dave Calderwood and photographer Dave Spurdens with Terry Martin's Westland Wasp

Dr. Terry Martin and Wasp 430

Westland Wasp panel

All photos from Dennis Kenyon's Personal Collection.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Kenyon
    replied
    Hallo Scout lovers ... Like most pilots, I have an especially soft spot for the lovely old war horse. Sadly I was not able to fly one in my Royal Air Force days, but that was put right a few years back when I was invited to fly both the Scout, (G-NOTY) and Doctor Terry Martin's beautiful Wasp version. The task was arranged by what was then the LOOP aviation newspaper so I could submit a 'write-up' for publication. The resultant article appeared around 2006 or 2007 I seem to remember, but brain cells! etc.

I remember the type so well, as when meeting a certain Rob Copplestone at Thuxton alongside my young son who had just secured his PPL at age 17. Dennis Junior certainly had an aptitude for rotary flying and by the time his PPL (H) was issued, he already had some 200 hours in his log book having officially trained since 14. He did actually manage a solo flight at Redhill at some earlier point which may have broken an age world record, but I'll make those details public when I think I'm about to fall off my perch!

Dear Mr Copplestone actually offered my son his first flying job as a safety pilot for the purchaser of the G-NOTY machine. Dennis Junior couldn't accept though as he was studying for his entrance to University (sadly never to happen).

As I've mentioned on another thread, I'm always available for our newer pilots for advice where I may have some expertise.
    I'll ask the mod to post a picture of the Thruxton occasion.

Safe flying to all. Dennis Kenyon.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied
    Its a nice shot for sure!

Word is that XR635 now resides at the Midland Air Museum, Baginton.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Always loved this photo, don't know who took it but it looks late 1960's going by the uniforms.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X