UK Out of Sequence/Personalised Registrations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Out of Sequence/Personalised Registrations

I've been comparing notes with Sav on UK out of sequence/personalised registrations based on a database I compiled many years ago. Listed below are the first fifty issued on the UK register.

Please feel free to make any contributions with photographs or comments.

Here are photographs of the first five... many more to follow:

Helipixman

Great stuff Elipix!

A fair few memories for me among that lot!

It seems as if the initial registrations were issued on condition of maintaining the first in-sequence letter, which in the 70's was 'B'. Would be glad to have this confirmed though.

If this was so, then the first 'truly' out-of-sequence registration would have been G-WASP in 1977, followed later the same year by Peter Cadbury's G-CHOC.

The list includes two of the 'stars' of the Nostalgia Thread, G-WIZZ which was delivered from Frosinone by Geoffers, and G-TALY which was the craft I performed my PPL training in.

Meanwhile James McCaughey's G-JAMI remains one of the fairest LongRangers I have seen, even to this day, while the Agusta-built and Ferranti-equipped G-OJCB was well-known within certain circles and was flown by the late John 'Chalky' White, someone whom I got to meet numerous times as a youngster. Chalky's flying never failed to entertain!

Douglas Bunn's G-JUMP was the first JetRanger I saw landing at Battersea without pop-outs fitted, in fact just some weeks after Douglas bought her, while G-BTWA was Charles Hughesdon's runabout, commonly flown by Geoff Cox for Tradewind's charter assignments, and which craft I encountered frequently, typically at Battersea and Brooklands during the early 80's.

Douglas Arnold's G-DOUG was, IIRC, originally intended for delivery to Ferranti who sold her (pre-delivery) back to Mann's amidst uncertainties surrounding Ferranti's future, while G-WOSP ended-up being flown by Aviafora co-founder Filippo (Phil Croucher) who also flew G-DOUG when she was registered as G-TKHM.

G-DWMI was John Dicken's 'breakout' machine in the forming of a new company resulting in what is today known as Starspeed. John was an ex-Ferranti driver and was a good friend to the Colonel.

I remember Heliwork's Don Donnelly inviting the Colonel to fly G-SOLY in order to provide feedback on its performance as part of their publicity for the Soloy conversion, and which he duly did, while G-LONG was Air Hanson's first personalised registration and their second LongRanger and a craft I encountered frequently.

Similarly, I came across G-HEAT numerous times at various airports in the months following her delivery and G-HELY I remember was the first 109 in the UK to wear a personalised registration.

More notes to share, but these to begin with at least.

Absolutely love the shot of G-BBTV (if anyone knows the location please advise) as well as the fact that while revealing G-BDAW you 'quietly' incorporated G-HUSH!

Comment

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Many memories for me too. Visiting the Beehive at Gatwick, Battersea Heliport, Redhill and Fairoaks — places where most of the heli ops were at the time.

My interest in helicopters started in 1974 and I managed to see most of the first fifty. I regularly flew in G-OJCB when owned by Yorkshire Helicopter Centre and used by Lothian Helicopters. G-WOSP I flew in many times when owned by Lakeside Helicopters and lastly G-BMAV at Cumbernauld with PLM Dollar Group.

Helipixman

Western Air (Scotland) Partners seemed to like the Out of sequence registrations having four of the first 50...
    G-BUZZ, G-CHIC, G-WASP and G-WOSP.

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, just great shots Elipix, fantastico!
Working...
X