• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG-ASM (see post #35) instrument table

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Zis, do you know where this bird ended-up?

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no clue. Let's hope some other Aviaforan would be able to provide such info.

• What a classy umbrella bucket!

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      A great memory aid for those times when trying to remember where you stashed the spare exhaust!

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

SA318C Alouette II HA-LFZ (cn.2043) as seen at an unconfirmed location on 22nd April 2006 (Photo: Robert Hodgson)
    HA-LFZ . Photo taken outside my hangar at Breighton Yorkshire. Heli owned by the late great Graham Snook (aka the 'Leg End').
    Last edited by md600driver; 11th July 2018, 22:34.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha, not sure if everyone will understand the reference to 'Leg End' but there we are .. Il barone Snooks!

This is Breighton Stefano? What are those white buildings (on the left) in the background please?

• Gazelle Down: Abidjan, Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire

An SA342M Gazelle belonging to the 3RHC (3rd Combat Helicopter Regiment) crashed on 10th July 2018 at approximately 5pm local time 15 km east of Port Bouet in the Ivory Coast while engaged in a reconnaissance flight. The exercise was conducted in cooperation with Ivorian forces. One report suggested that the aircraft had hit a power line.

Both crew members suffered serious injuries and were taken to the medical centre at the French military base at Port Bouet. Some hours after being taken to this facility the pilot, Lieutenant Alexandre Arnaud, died from his injuries while the remaining crew member was flown to France for further treatment.

Photos from yesterday's crash site:

Updates

Update 1: This aircraft 'may' be SA342M 'GNI' 3866 (cn.1866) — Awaiting confirmation

Update 2: Identity of crew member who perished confirmed

Comment

• Croatia Celebrations !!!

So .. obviously .. massive congratulations to Zishelix, who on good authority is a devout football fan and loves nothing more than to watch this sport while drinking crates of beer with his friends!

I understand that 11th July is to become a permanent national holiday, that football is to become compulsory for all students in all schools, colleges and universities and that the government plans to borrow €3bn from the ECB in order to give every Croatian a complimentary pension boost!

Celebrations all round !!!

Comment

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Congratulations to all in Croatia (Stipe). Thoroughly deserved with a fantastic come back. England have a severe problem, they cannot seem to score unless it is a set piece..... corners free kicks etc. The amount of chances they created and missed it was inevitable that Croatia would score more. Well done and I hope your countrymen can go on and beat France in the final

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheer up my friend, UK still wins in terms of the number of Gazelles you operate

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Félicitations aux amis Français pour gagner!
      Last edited by Zishelix; 15th July 2018, 18:54.

• SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) by the river Chuna in Eastern Siberia, accompanied by boys from the nearby village of Vydrino in July 2018

With thanks to Kirill for this photo.

Comment

• Anyone able to identify this Gazelle? I'd say it's G-LEDR parked behind.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I seem to recognise this black Gaz, but from where I cannot at present recall!

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        I have seen photos of this Gazelle before but so far remains a mystery.. agree would be great to find out its identity.

• No sure if this has been on here before ?

Interplanetary Taxi - by Andy Hazell

Apparently purchased as a shell from MOD Boscombe down. I am told it was stripped of any Identity and when purchased was painted military green with red/white and blue doors. It was then mounted on the chassis of an Daihatsu HiJet van and is regularly used to visit shows and fairs.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, Mr. Hazell re-branded his 'spacecraft' again

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I have it feeling this contraption has appeared before on the thread.

• SA341B XZ291 (WA1492) as seen in 1977

If anyone has an idea as to the location of this craft, please advise.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Allegedly went to Gabon (National Parks Agency for Anti-Poaching tasks) two years ago.

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        So she's gone to Gabon, grazie!

• 'If Van Gough ever painted a helicopter' by Tod Burns

British Army Gazelle by Robert Calow

Concerning the BAG above, umm .. err .. hmm .. well .. I'm just not sure what to say, so I shall say nothing!

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh well, there are also some Gazelle scale models 'unique' in terms of accuracy

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm liking your diplomacy Zis!

Unique models indeed! But credit to YU-HEN having a sky background.

• 3/3 Squadron SA342M 'GEX'

3/3 Squadron, Les Félins advise that they will be flying over Paris tomorrow during this year's Bastille Day celebrations!

Bonne chance Les Félins!

HA-LFH 'The Haelo Gaz' landing at Church Fenton yesterday

Comment

• SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen on Mount Arabika (6800ft) near Lake Dzou in Abkhazia in July 2018

With many thanks to Sergey for these lovely shots!

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely images indeed! Please keep 'em coming, Sergey

• Change of Ownership

N383GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1383, changed ownership to EXCEL POWER VENTURES INC, WILMINGTON (Delaware) on 05-Jul-2018

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Jos!

• G-CBSK at Weston-super-Mare in June 23rd, 2018 (Photo: Kris Dul)

Comment

• SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen at Hillhead Quarry, Buxton on 28th June 2018 (Photo: Mike Powney)

SA341G(S) YU-HEY (cn 1320) as seen at Hillhead Quarry, Buxton on 28th June 2018 (Photo: Mike Powney)

SA342J YU-HES (cn.1057) as seen 'somewhere' in Cheshire on 8th June 2018 (Photo: Bryan Crawford)

Black Pete (YU-HVZ) 'fights' with EC130 OO-SUZ for the same spot (Photo: Jimmy van Drunen)

Not quite sure of the location of Black Pete and the EC130, but perhaps XB can assist?

Here's another take on Zis' unidentified Gaz:

She looks to be an 'F2' and I'm suspecting these shots may have been taken a while back. Still trying to track down her ID.

Also for Zis: Another 'uniquely accurate' Gaz model, and this one really is unique. As it happens, this piece of .. umm .. 'workmanship' is for sale.

Staying with the models:

Alouette and Gaz as seen at the Kreuztal Littfeld Turbine Meeting in Germany in June 2018

And back to full size:

SA341F2 departing Space Coast Regional Airport in Titusville, Florida on 14th July 2018

Can anyone assist with an ID for this bird?

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Re 'uniquely accurate' Gaz model above, it's actually an vintage Radio Controlled model of Gazelle from early 1970's a bit 'improved' in it's tail section

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            And 'improved' skids too!

• The pictures of Zis' unidentified Gaz come from the brochure at http://asiandragoninternational.yola...20SA341-F2.pdf

The brochure seems to offer for sale 8 former French Army SA341F2 Gazelles (that are even 'Google' compatible).

The brochure lists the following 9 c/n's (where known I have added their civil registration):

1384 to N497MM
          1433 to N1433W
          1448 to N2MF
          1482 to N341MG
          1558 to N321VV
          1575 to N2TW, N9334W

I have not been able to link any of these to the pictures.

Comment

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            Just as interesting on page 5 of the brochure is the helicopter behind ? If the photo is taken at Aeromecanic, France then the AS350 behind the Gazelle is most likely G-PLMB thats who PDG sold it to ! Just don't remember it being in those colours, maybe repainted by them. Still does not identify the Gazelle but maybe a location for the photo.

Helipixman

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Bravo Jos and Elipix!

I would say, based on your investigations, that this could indeed be Aeromecanic's Marseille hangar.

Sure would be interesting to find out which craft this is.

I would say, based on your investigations, that this could indeed be Aeromecanic's Marseille hangar.

Sure would be interesting to find out which craft this is.

This photo was indeed taken at the Aeromecanic hanagar at Marignane near Marseille.

The black Gazelle was an ex-French military bird and was the first (and I think only) one which they overhauled.

I saw it there many years ago while buying parts. Also there was a 342J which went to a friend of mine in the USA.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Brilliant Stafano! Grazie.

• SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at Booker on 15th June 2018 (Photo: Jon Wickenden)

Gaz Bits ..

Ex-Crabtree Gaz T-shirt for sale here.

This classic Aérospatiale-commissioned model of the very first Gazelle has now been sold (I think we advised about this when it originally came up for sale a year or so ago) hopefully it has gone to an Aviaforan.

Original Gaz model.

Anyone attending the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix, be advised that 'Gaz transfers' remain available.

Comment

• SA341B XX458 WA1469 the 100th Gazelle to be produced at Yeovil as seen in 1976 (Photo by Clive Wilson)

The 100th Westland-Built Gazelle

I worked on the first two development Gazelles at Yeovil in 1972 and then helped assemble the next 200 helicopters until production was transferred to the Weston-super-Mare factory.

There were only 12 real civil Gazelles made at Yeovil, the thirteenth civil version was never bought and it was sold to the RAF as a training aid/simulator.

I worked for Westland for 43 years in various positions.”

— Clive Wilson
            With thanks to Clive for this photo, and for this info, oh .. and I almost forgot to mention that Clive is also signing-up to Aviafora!

1469 Additional Info

First flight: 21st May 1976
            Delivery date: 8th June 1976
            Written off on 1st September in Soltau, Germany during target operations

SA341B XX458 (WA1469) (Photo by Johan Visschedijk)

The location for the above shot is not given, but I hope Clive may be able to confirm whether it is Yeovil.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Dear Mr. Wilson, welcome aboard! Looking forward to see more of your Gazelle photos here

• Time to Clean the Hangar!

N341DT had to stay inside unfortunately.

N901B, 2-WILD, N341GG, N341AS.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              WOW, what a view!! Lot of countries has less Gazelles in their hangars than you XB

Thanks for share!

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow x 2! Bravo XB !!!

What a shame though that 'DT' had to remain inside, otherwise you would have had a five-Gaz line up!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
            WOW, what a view!! Lot of countries has less Gazelles in their hangars than you XB
            I bet that that photo gets people thinking !!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Err .. yes, just a little!

Let's see, some possible explanations:

1) XB has started a Gazelle stud and 901 was brought in to sire offspring, possibly with 341DT who had to remain stabled after the event.
              2) In the midst of Europe's recent heat wave, Stefano was hit with an overwhelming desire to sample one of Belgium's famous beers and flew over to meet with fellow Aviaforan to assuage his thirst!
              3) XB invites Stefano over after Belgium beat England in the football to offer his condolences.

Well, there are probably some other reasons, but I'm going with these for now.

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              A joint venture on the horizon?

• Originally posted by HELIPIXMAN View Post
            Just as interesting on page 5 of the brochure is the helicopter behind ? If the photo is taken at Aeromecanic, France then the AS350 behind the Gazelle is most likely G-PLMB thats who PDG sold it to !
            G-PLMB did become F-HFPP. The picture shows her in the same colours as seen on G-PLMB.

Comment

• 2018 World Helicopter Championships

Next week in Minsk, Belarus the World Helicopter Championships are taking place from 23rd to 29th July.

Is anyone up for going?

Click on logo for details

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                We are bound to have at least one member going, will get back to you.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                I have checked with Piero (owner of I-PTEC) and he is not going.

I have also checked with Denissimo who 'was' going, but as the freestyle component of the competition was cancelled he has decided not to go. He has also told me of the lovely gift you presented to him at his 'retirement' bash, and I wish say thank you Stefano for being such a gentleman to someone who is so dear to me. God knows that if it had been possible for me to return I would have, but Denissimo knows the score.

So I'm not sure who that leaves, but I will continue asking.

• For Zishelix from Sergey in Abkhazia

Zishelix wrote: Lovely images indeed! Please keep 'em coming, Sergey
              Sergey replied: I am gald you like them. I have send some more photo to Enrico/Savoia. This is taken near Lake Dzou on Mount Arabika in the Gagra Range of the West Caucasus Mountains in Abkhazia when I took a group of people there on July 2nd.
              Zis, Sergey has sent me quite a few photos plus one video, so I shall split them in two and post the remainder tomorrow or Friday (God willing).

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) belonging to 'Fly Sky' as seen in the vicinity of Mount Arabika near Lake Dzou in Abkhazia on 2nd July 2018. Photos by Sergey and Denis Mircushev

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Sergey, I believe I speak on behalf of all Aviaforans when I thank you for these exclusive in-action photos of your lovely Gazelle taken in such gorgeous scenery! Well done!

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Let me second Zis' remarks by also saying thank you/Спасибо to Sergey for these lovely photos.

I have checked with Piero (owner of I-PTEC) and he is not going.

I have also checked with Denissimo who 'was' going, but as the freestyle component of the competition was cancelled he has decided not to go. He has also told me of the lovely gift you presented to him at his 'retirement' bash, and I wish say thank you Stefano for being such a gentleman to someone who is so dear to me. God knows that if it had been possible for me to return I would have, but Denissimo knows the score.

So I'm not sure who that leaves, but I will continue asking.
              Dennis is the man! It was a honour to be invited to his retirement bash, it was a fantastic evening.

I leave Sunday and hope to arrive Monday at Minsk, it should be a good week. Shame Den isn’t going.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                God speed Stefano, and have a pleasant trip.

• SA342J I-PTEC sitting on the helicopter dolly at her homebase in April 30th, 2015 (Photo: Piero Campi)

Btw, I'm still looking for info about owner/operator of this machine... so thnx in advance!

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Amico, Piero Campi is the owner of I-PTEC. He used to own an Alouette II (I-PCET) but sold this after making I-PTEC airworthy.

Piero is a member of Aviafora and reads Shrieking Gazelles: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/member/317-piero-i-ptec

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh well, seems I somehow missed that info. Thanks and hopefully Mr. Campi will post some more pics of his lovely Gazelle here!

• Part II of Sergey's Recent Visit to Mount Arabika and Lake Dzou

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) belonging to 'Fly Sky' as seen at Lake Dzou in Abkhazia on 2nd July 2018

Photos by Sergey and Denis Mircushev

Comment

• xbdt
                xbdt commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice scenery! not like Holland for example, sorry Peter ;-)

• XB wrote: .. not like Holland for example ..
              Indeed, a little different. Here's what we can expect in Holland ..

A 'Super Gazelle' in Holland (many years ago)

Comment

• More 901 ..

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at Denham Airfield on 7th July 2018

Stefano's 901 seen here while attending Denissimo's retirement bash. For a video of Denissimo's Enstrom display, see here.

Please remember to like and follow Avia's FB page.

Comment

• SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at Weston-super-Mare on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Tom Jones)

SA341D G-CBSI (ex-XZ934) (WA1736) as an unknown location on 8th October 2017

SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) NFI

Comment

Working...
                X