Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at the Weston Air Festival on 24th June 2018 (Photo: Peter Harrison)

Nice to see Stefano 'stretching' 901's legs!
    A spirited departure too I here!!

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if so, then bravo to Stefano! It is always very kind when drivers give a little something back to visitors and spectators some of whom travel great distances to see aircraft.

I thank God for people with spirit!

It is small matter to perform 'spirited manoeuvres' safely. Moreover, such displays are often the mark of a skilled and proficient driver who knows his craft well. In Italy you will witness spirited displays of flying regularly, it is almost 'expected' as a means of celebrating the gift of flight. Proficient pilots (whether private or professional) can quickly determine which type of manoeuvre is suitable and how best to perform it while taking into account the specific circumstances - and these little displays of 'character' are so much appreciated by onlookers, especially youngsters and children whom I have seen literally shriek with joy on occasion.

We are born to live! And live we must, and I say again, a proficient driver can and will be able to perform encouraging manoeuvres safely and securely.

The clip below is advertised as in 'incredible' departure .. when it is just a normal departure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oji2dkNq5Zs

Here is an 'Italian departure' which some are bound to criticise, but it is quite safe, the driver is simply performing a pedal turn with the gradual introduction of forward cyclic midway through the turn in order to introduce airspeed asap. He's doing this with no pax on board and while the manoeuvre 'looks' dramatic, it isn't really so dramatic with an exposure to the more spirited component of the departure lasting less than three seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NMD3r70CU

We've spoken of spirited departures .. but then there are spirited arrivals .. and well .. some people simply 'arrive' better than others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3OTMCMCB0w

• Originally posted by N48284 View Post
    A spirited departure too I here!!
    I wouldn’t say so !! Was it ?

Comment

• Andy wrote: In the shots from Oz, OIW has EXPERIMENTAL on the door and OIZ has LIMITED. Whats the difference between them? and is it something to do with one being ex Navy and the other ex Army?
      Any ideas anyone?

Comment

• Introducing ..

I am pleased to introduce Sergey and Alexey who are pilots with 'Fly Sky' based in the autonomous republic of Abkhazia which is located on the western border of Georgia and on the southern border of Russia.

They fly the former Navy Gazelle RA-05708 and are readers of Aviafora.

Sergey says:

"I read the comments about towing the skier, and what I can say is that before doing this we make assessment to make sure we can do this safely."
        Sergey and Alexey offer a variety of services including heli-ski, water ski, filming, photography, tour flights and general charter.

We take this opportunity to welcome Sergey and Alexey to the Aviafora community while wishing them all the best in their flying activities.

Sergey flying RA-05708 in Abkhazia in June 2018

Sergey inspecting the rotorhead on 708

Welcome to Fly Sky

Alexey flying 708 for rotorwake boarding experience

Rotorwake boarding in action

Welcome to Abkhazia

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to know the pilots of RA-05708 reading Aviafora! I hope both Sergey and Alexey will decide to post here some more photos of the Gazelle taken over their lovely country

• More Blue Gazelles ..

SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) as seen at Weston-super-Mare on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Ashley Middleton)

Aviation Requirements Sherborne

Using our wealth of Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) experience we have delivered numerous Rotary and Fixed Wing RCM contracts. These include recent support to both the Gazelle helicopter and the SPMAP Defender & Islander platforms all of which required full Master Maintenance Schedule Reviews (MMSR) of the Topic 5 series of publications for the respective platforms. These have delivered improved maintenance regimes, cost savings and enhanced airworthiness.
        http://www.aviationrequirements.co.u...gineering.html

It seems as if Aviation Requirements Ltd. are one of the companies which have been involved in supporting the UK's Army Gazelles.

Comment

• 'cause Sav asked for it

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Fantastico Zishelix!

As I've mentioned before, these civilian Gazelles from the 70's are my all time favourites!

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Artistic moon touch, well done

• S/n 1066 & 1075 during filming the Blue Thunder movie back in 1982.

Comment

• goose814
            goose814 commented
            Editing a comment
            My favorite Gazelle of all time. It's the movie that inspired me to become a helicopter mechanic back in 1985. My first aviation job was working for Petroleum Helicopters Inc.

• RA-05708 in the mountains of Abkhazia, June 2018

Comment

• Visiting friends with N341DT :-)

Comment

• G-EZZL in May 2015 by Paul Beale

Comment

• SA342 in Valencia (Photo: André Bour)

Montenegro Air Force Gazelle in Podgorica in June 2018

Serbian Police Gazelles during operation 'Joint Strike' 2018

Please remember to like and follow Avia's FB page:

Comment

• We are pleased to welcome Kirill, from the town of Bratsk in the province of Irkutsk, Russia, as the latest member of Aviafora. Kirill is the owner of RA-05709.
                Kirill we welcome you and wish you many years of safe and happy flying!

Kirill with RA-05709

Kirill's Gazelle RA-05709

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome aboard Kirill! Looking forward to see more pics of your Gazelle here

Btw, Sav please check whether the registration is 05709 or 06709?

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad Zis, it is 05709, now amended.

I have already received a batch of 'Snow Gazelles' from Kirill (who's name is derived from St. Cyril of Jerusalem) so these (God willing) shall be posted in December.

Kirill is reading this site (along with around 25 other Gazelle owners and counting) so he will see your comments.

This is all your fault Zis! I just wanted to post historic helicopters on the Nostalgia Thread, but because you were the only person I could chat back and forth with, your 'Shrieking Gazelles' thread became the place for conversation, and now many Gazelle enthusiasts are reading .. and I STILL haven't flown the craft so that when every Gazelle owner tells me they prefer to fly the Gazelle, I still don't properly understand why - but one day I will!

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Re my 'fault' - Guilty as charged.

I'm glad Aviafora is becoming a reference website for Gazelle enthusiasts.

• Alouette II Down in Croatia

Check Avia's FB page for all non-Gazelle news and other items.

Comment

Alouette II Down in Croatia
                  Zoltán the pilot is okay.

He recons he may have hit something such as a bird or droon (his spelling not mine).

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Many thanks for this info Stefano. As I wrote to Zis earlier in the day, we are just thankful that everyone is basically okay. The bits of aluminium and perspex can be repaired or replaced but people .. that's another matter.

Will update the Alo thread.

I've heard a Scotsman refer to a drone as droon, so its just possible Zoltán has some Celtic ancestry.

• SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) as seen in Pervouralskiy, Sverdlovskaya, Russia in May 2018

I have given this Gaz the Avia name 'Cyrilcraft' after her owner as well of course as her abbreviated registration '709'.

Comment

• Dauphin For Sale

Helitours of Slovenia are selling their 365C2 Dauphin S5-HCK.

These tail-dragger Dauphin's really are a rare catch and are such a lovely aircraft with a great ride given their four-bladed main rotor.

I am hoping that this bird will not move too far away from this area.

As Zishelix will confirm, I absolutely love these tail-dragger Dauphins!
                    • 8 Place passenger accommodation
                    • 1-2 Place crew seating
                    • 2 x Turbomeca Ariel 1A2 engines producing 670shp each
                    • 1,400 kgs payload
                    • 137 kts cruise

You may contact Helitours by phone on: +386 3 752 30 30 or via email at: info@helitours.si they are open to (sensible) offers.

Helitours website

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes I remember you saying you liked the original 'Dauphins'. Good choice Sir, right behind Gazelle

• Received from Sergey this morning:

Miss 'Fly Sky' in the mountains of Abkhazia in June 2018

Here we see the consequences of standing beneath the tip-path plane during start-up in the windy mountains, thankfully though Miss Fly Sky's jeans were all that were ripped!

Sergey flying RA-05708 yesterday

SA341D G-RBIL (WA1199) as seen at Loch na Keal on the Isle of Mull on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Martin Wren)

I was just saying the other day how we haven't seen the 'Gerbil' in quite some time, and now we get two shots of her in a row!

But we are glad to see her.

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Abkhazia appear to be full of natural beauties

• ZU-HHP

In case we haven't had this attractive footage here:

If it's already posted here... well, it's worth to see it once again

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, on page 103, but as you say its worth seeing again .. everything is worth seeing again !

• How It Works - Helicopter blades (educational video on Gazelle example)

Well done Mr. Karp!

Comment

• SA341G N565F (cn.1182) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 5th July 2008 (Photo: Paul Johnson)

I believe this was GazEngineer's favourite colour scheme from those painted at Stapleford.

Go to original post.

See also a camouflaged Alouette II 'flash back' (HA-LFZ) on Alouettes & Lamas.

Comment

• Angel Ivoninskaya with RA-05706 near St. Petersburg

Comment

• GazEngineer
                          GazEngineer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The picture was taken here at Stapleford as the Gazelle is with us at the moment, or should I say was it left Friday to be shipped back to Russia.

The concrete pad and how the grass is cut in the left of the picture was the giveaway!

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          GazEn you're back! And I just mentioned you in the post above.

Thanks for the correction, much appreciated.

To our readers the above post should read .. 'From Essex with Love!'

• SA341F2 N321VV (1558) at Rotor Leasing's Colorado base

N321VV in the workshop

Inside N321VV's fuel tank which had to be replaced

Seems that many of the military ones are suddenly having fuel leaks due to the break down of the fuel bladder. NATO changed the Jet-A formulation and it's causing the fuel cells to deteriorate at a rapid rate. We have changed 4 of them just this year!

— Chris Bateman, Rotor Leasing

SA341B ZU-RLH (cn WA1600) as seen at Quoin Rock Winery, Stellenbosch, South Africa in July 2018 (Video by Jason Maydew)

It seems they really do enjoy flying this craft without her engine cowlings!

Comment

• xbdt
                          xbdt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not a Gaz sound at the end, more like an R44 or something.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes indeed, or a Bell 47. Oftentimes its a Huey. For whatever reason, numerous film and video editors feel they are doing everyone a service if the employ a helicopter sound effect rather than use the actual sound. Shame really.

• SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) departing Weston-super-Mare on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Kevin Slade)

SA341C G-ZZLE (cn WA1402) ex-XX436 attending the Armed Forces Day ay Gilingham, Kent on 30th June 2018

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice G-ZZEL photo!

• TG-ASM (see post #35) instrument table

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Zis, do you know where this bird ended-up?

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have no clue. Let's hope some other Aviaforan would be able to provide such info.

• What a classy umbrella bucket!

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A great memory aid for those times when trying to remember where you stashed the spare exhaust!

SA318C Alouette II HA-LFZ (cn.2043) as seen at an unconfirmed location on 22nd April 2006 (Photo: Robert Hodgson)
                        HA-LFZ . Photo taken outside my hangar at Breighton Yorkshire. Heli owned by the late great Graham Snook (aka the 'Leg End').
                        Last edited by md600driver; 11th July 2018, 23:34.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ha ha, not sure if everyone will understand the reference to 'Leg End' but there we are .. Il barone Snooks!

This is Breighton Stefano? What are those white buildings (on the left) in the background please?

• Gazelle Down: Abidjan, Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire

An SA342M Gazelle belonging to the 3RHC (3rd Combat Helicopter Regiment) crashed on 10th July 2018 at approximately 5pm local time 15 km east of Port Bouet in the Ivory Coast while engaged in a reconnaissance flight. The exercise was conducted in cooperation with Ivorian forces. One report suggested that the aircraft had hit a power line.

Both crew members suffered serious injuries and were taken to the medical centre at the French military base at Port Bouet. Some hours after being taken to this facility the pilot, Lieutenant Alexandre Arnaud, died from his injuries while the remaining crew member was flown to France for further treatment.

Photos from yesterday's crash site:

Updates

Update 1: This aircraft 'may' be SA342M 'GNI' 3866 (cn.1866) — Awaiting confirmation

Update 2: Identity of crew member who perished confirmed

Comment

• Croatia Celebrations !!!

So .. obviously .. massive congratulations to Zishelix, who on good authority is a devout football fan and loves nothing more than to watch this sport while drinking crates of beer with his friends!

I understand that 11th July is to become a permanent national holiday, that football is to become compulsory for all students in all schools, colleges and universities and that the government plans to borrow €3bn from the ECB in order to give every Croatian a complimentary pension boost!

Celebrations all round !!!

Comment

• Helipixman
                          Helipixman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes Congratulations to all in Croatia (Stipe). Thoroughly deserved with a fantastic come back. England have a severe problem, they cannot seem to score unless it is a set piece..... corners free kicks etc. The amount of chances they created and missed it was inevitable that Croatia would score more. Well done and I hope your countrymen can go on and beat France in the final

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cheer up my friend, UK still wins in terms of the number of Gazelles you operate

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Félicitations aux amis Français pour gagner!
                          Last edited by Zishelix; 15th July 2018, 19:54.

• SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) by the river Chuna in Eastern Siberia, accompanied by boys from the nearby village of Vydrino in July 2018

With thanks to Kirill for this photo.

Comment

• Anyone able to identify this Gazelle? I'd say it's G-LEDR parked behind.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I seem to recognise this black Gaz, but from where I cannot at present recall!

• Helipixman
                            Helipixman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I have seen photos of this Gazelle before but so far remains a mystery.. agree would be great to find out its identity.
                        Working...
                        X