X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zishelix
    started a topic Shrieking Gazelles

Shrieking Gazelles

This thread is for the appreciation of the SA.341/342 series Gazelle helicopters of which I am an enthusiast.

Over the years I have collected a considerable amount of material relating to Gazelles, some of which I will be pleased to share here with those who are interested.

I will be happy to discuss anything relating to the history of the Gazelle (now almost almost 50 years old) as well as anything and everything relating to its operations around the world. I hope to meet other Gazelle enthusiasts along the way!

Finally, the Gazelle produces a unique sound as a result of a harmonisation which occurs between the fenestron and the main rotor blades. This effect is sometimes known as "shrieking."

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie mille Jos! 👍

• Rotorspot
    replied

Two Gazelles Cancelled from USA Register

N281GZ, SA341F2, 1281; 04-Sep-2020
    N341L, SA341G, 1263; 16-Sep-2020

Fates still unknown.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA342M F-MGCD 4161 as seen at Aérodrome Grenoble-Le Versoud on 17th September 2020 (Photo by Laurent Quérité)

As seen during Exercise Baccarat 2020.

SA341C G-SWWM (WA1033) ex-XW853 as seen at Blackbushe Airport on 8th April 2007 (Photo by Michael Duffield)

Anyone for swimming?

SA341H YU-HEH (cn.011) as seen at Silverstone in July 2003 (Photo by Bill Teasdale)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA342M F-MGCD as seen at Aérodrome de Grenoble-Le Versoud on 20th September 2020 during Exercise Baccarat
    (Photo by Romain Baheu)

SA342MV + 3 during Exercise Baccarat in France, September 2020

SA341B G-BZYD (WA1648) ex-XZ329 as seen at Shoreham Airport on 20th September 2020 (Photo by Piers Hulford)

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen at Akwaaba Wildlife Park, in Rustenburg, South Africa on 19th September 2020
    (Photo courtesy of Avia member Jean-Pierre)

SA342L ZU-RMX (cn.1887) as seen at
    Wonderboom on 20th September 2020

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats to the owner for choosing one of the classic Gaz c/s for his bird! Hopefully he'd also consider to ad one more detail - a genuine 'Gazelle' lettering on it's tail. I can gladly help with a drawing, if needed

• Zishelix
    replied
    2003 Tiger Gaz

SA342M 3964/BYB in Tiger livery back in 2003

And the detail from it's tail fin

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA342MV as seen in Marne, France in 2013

SA341B XX379 (WA1261) as seen at RAF Jurby Head on the Isle of Man on 29th May 1977 (Photo by Ian Howat)

RAF Jurby Head was an air weapons range located on the north west coast of the Isle of Man.

SA342L ZU-RNB (cn.1881) as seen at Wonderboom Airport in South Africa on 12th September 2020 (Photo by Andre Venter)

With both Zis and Elipix favouring traditional paint schemes, ZU-RNB's tribute to a classic Aérospatiale design must surely have been a welcome choice. It will interesting to see if any future Gaz owners will do something similar.

Sav's Styling Comments: I think if you are going to go for skid fairings then, if possible, also go for a fenestron driveshaft cover and fenestron hubcap, because these go together as part of the 'civvie fit'. Also, I think RNB would benefit from having the skids painted the same colour as the skid fairings. And finally, my pet hate (of course you know it) if you can't cover the battery, then at least paint the instrument panel pedestal matte black. Have you seen across our pages these instrument pedestal sides appearing in different colours to match the aircraft exterior? I really don't care for it so much, but each to their own. While I recognise that black is a fairly popular colour on aircraft and cars, it isn't really my favourite but when it comes to instrument panels then black is the way to go, although there are some nice options other than black when it comes to the facia, but that is for another time.

Leave a comment:

• goose814
    commented on 's reply
    I would think that with the cabin being stretched ahead of the main rotor mast, that would cause a shift of the CG towards being slightly more nose heavy, which would require it to have more weight aft of the rotor mast to balance it out. A decrease in the size of the end plates would lessen the weight aft and shift the CG forward even more, so I don't think their purpose is for weight & balance.

Savoia, I have seen the photo of the stretched Gazelle with larger end plates. It was posted by xbdt in post #4357 (SA341G c/n 1310 N47300). Like you mentioned, I believe it was a prototype. I'd like to see what it looks like currently.

xbdt, when you say lower boot which part are you referring to? I'm not familiar with where that is. Thanks.

Zishelix, hello to you too. It's been a while.

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    I have a complete wire strike kit for gazelle if interested 🤓

• Savoia
    replied

Mystery Gazelle RF-14009

Gazelle flown by Avia member Sergey

BATUS Gazelle Visits Bomber Command Museum in Canada

SA341B ZA736 (WA1805) as seen at the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, Alberta on 10th September 2020

On Thursday 10th September a Gazelle from BATUS visited the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, Alberta, Cananda. Three members of BATUS arrived with the Gazelle while a further fifteen came by road to participate in a four-hour tour of the museum led by museum vice-president Dan Fox together with the assistance of museum directors Doug Eaglesham and Karl Kjarsgaard.

Following the tour, the soldiers from BATUS were treated to an al fresco lunch during which Capt. Julius Coventry made a presentation to the museum.

Of the visit, museum director Karl Kjarsgaard said: "A great day was had by all involved as we continue to strengthen the bonds of goodwill between Canada and the UK. Today we especially remembered the costly sacrifice made by members of the British, Commonwealth and Canadian forces who helped achieve an allied victory which purchased the freedoms we enjoy today."

I think this is from the Trucks and Firepower meeting at Dunchurch on 30th August

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced Stefano must have some Italian blood in him.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely Zis! 👍

• Zishelix
    replied
    Another one Gazelle leaflet from early 1970's

Vought Helicopter Corp. promo material with demo machine #1003 (F-OCRX) on the photos
    https://www.vought.org/special/html/shelicopter.html

Very Low Flying Gazelle!

(See from 3:11 to 3:16 especially!)

Quite good piloting skills. Let's hope 'the rider' would always have such a lucky day in the air
    Last edited by Zishelix; 4 days ago.

Leave a comment:

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    They wont be happy with that thing (read: POS) :-)

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    'That' is a replacement for their Gazelles?!

Excuse my subjective remark

• Savoia
    replied

SA341G(S) N71FR (cn.1274) as seen over Gorda Island in the BVI on 15th September 2020
    (Photo courtesy of Avia member Stephen W.)

SA341B at Middle Wallop in August 2014 (Photo by Martin Sutton)

SA342J YU-HES (cn.1057) as seen at Shoreham Airport on 5th September 2020 (Photo by Stephen Duquemin)

Montenegro Receives First Gazelle Replacement

The Vojska Crne Gora (VCG, Montenegro Armed Forces) have received their first Gazelle replacement training aircraft, a Bell 505 and which occurred on 15th September 2020. The technical acceptance took place in July 2020 at Bell's facility Prague while the delivery of a second Bell 505 is scheduled for January 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    replied
    Gazelle Memorabilia

A vintage Gazelle promo leaflet:

Btw, F-WIEP wasn't painted yellow but overall white, but this is a vintage leaflet and the colour has probably changed!

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341D G-CBSI XZ934 (WA1736) as seen at Northrepps Airfield on 14th September 2020 (Photo by David Moth)

SA342MV F-MGCG as seen in the French Alps region during 'Exercise Baccarat' in September 2020 (Photo courtesy of 5eRHC)

SA342J YU-HET (cn.1204) as seen at Gloucester Staverton on 10th July 2014

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Nice one Zis. 👍

• Zishelix
    replied
    F-GFEB NFI

And the same one with another c/s: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=1818#post1818

Leave a comment:

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    Okay, like HA-LFQ.

Yes, like FQ, FM, 682, 1663, 451.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Okay, like HA-LFQ.

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    Ah well, there you go Elipix! You've been wondering about this craft for a long time now, so hopefully this will assist in keeping your 'Gaz Tracker' up-to-date.

I wonder what colour G-LOYD is now?

Subaru blue. I bought enough for 5 airframes.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341F2 F-MBYG 4189 as seen at Étain-Rouvres in May 1991

Jakub, did the French use the same three-stripe Gulf War markings, if so then this could be another bird for your collection.

SA342L1 as seen at Paphos Air Base on 10th November 2018

SA341G(S) G-OGAZ (cn.1274) as seen at Manchester Airport on 28th June 2002 (Photo by Lee Archer)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Ah well, there you go Elipix! You've been wondering about this craft for a long time now, so hopefully this will assist in keeping your 'Gaz Tracker' up-to-date.

I wonder what colour G-LOYD is now?

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
    I wonder where G-LOYD is ? have not seen any reports of her anywhere since the CofA expired in 2008, not reported at Breighton or Bourne Park ? Just wonder if Mr Crabtree has a secret stash of Gazelles and spares somewhere else ?

G-LOYD was painted during the lockdown. I wouldn’t say secret. But definitely yes.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA342L ZU-RNB (cn.1881) as seen at Wonderboom Airport in South Africa on 12th September 2020 (Photo by Andre Venter)

SA341B ZB691 (WA2006) as seen at SPTA on 1st June 2020 (Photo by Charles Cunliffe)

SA341D XX406 (WA1344) as seen at RAF Lindholme on 27th Jul 1977 (Photo by Ian Howat)

YR-BOS

SA341H YR-BOS (cn.008) as seen at Deva Airport in Romania on 8th October 2018 (Photo by Ian Grove)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Let me make some enquiries Fabrizio!

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    You're right, I also have 'KAF 402' as c/n 1394 (mistype in previous post) but looks like it had #1384 on the tail

Then again, c/n 1384 is SA341F N497MM so probably it's just poor quality of the photo I have

• Rotorspot
    replied
    Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
    My 'Flashback Friday' contribution:

Rare Kenyan Air Force SA342L c/n 1884 KAF-402.

Thanks for this most interesting picture, Zis. In fact this is SA342K c/n 1394. This particular helicopter was w/o on 07-Mar-1978.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X