X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zishelix
    started a topic Shrieking Gazelles

Shrieking Gazelles

This thread is for the appreciation of the SA.341/342 series Gazelle helicopters of which I am an enthusiast.

Over the years I have collected a considerable amount of material relating to Gazelles, some of which I will be pleased to share here with those who are interested.

I will be happy to discuss anything relating to the history of the Gazelle (now almost almost 50 years old) as well as anything and everything relating to its operations around the world. I hope to meet other Gazelle enthusiasts along the way!

Finally, the Gazelle produces a unique sound as a result of a harmonisation which occurs between the fenestron and the main rotor blades. This effect is sometimes known as "shrieking."

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Sergey, I believe I speak on behalf of all Aviaforans when I thank you for these exclusive in-action photos of your lovely Gazelle taken in such gorgeous scenery! Well done!

• Savoia
    replied
    For Zishelix from Sergey in Abkhazia

Zishelix wrote: Lovely images indeed! Please keep 'em coming, Sergey
    Sergey replied: I am gald you like them. I have send some more photo to Enrico/Savoia. This is taken near Lake Dzou on Mount Arabika in the Gagra Range of the West Caucasus Mountains in Abkhazia when I took a group of people there on July 2nd.
    Zis, Sergey has sent me quite a few photos plus one video, so I shall split them in two and post the remainder tomorrow or Friday (God willing).

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) belonging to 'Fly Sky' as seen in the vicinity of Mount Arabika near Lake Dzou in Abkhazia on 2nd July 2018. Photos by Sergey and Denis Mircushev

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    We are bound to have at least one member going, will get back to you.

• md600driver
    replied
    2018 World Helicopter Championships

Next week in Minsk, Belarus the World Helicopter Championships are taking place from 23rd to 29th July.

Is anyone up for going?

Click on logo for details

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    A joint venture on the horizon?

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Err .. yes, just a little!

Let's see, some possible explanations:

1) XB has started a Gazelle stud and 901 was brought in to sire offspring, possibly with 341DT who had to remain stabled after the event.
    2) In the midst of Europe's recent heat wave, Stefano was hit with an overwhelming desire to sample one of Belgium's famous beers and flew over to meet with fellow Aviaforan to assuage his thirst!
    3) XB invites Stefano over after Belgium beat England in the football to offer his condolences.

Well, there are probably some other reasons, but I'm going with these for now.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Wow x 2! Bravo XB !!!

What a shame though that 'DT' had to remain inside, otherwise you would have had a five-Gaz line up!

• Rotorspot
    replied
    Originally posted by HELIPIXMAN View Post
    Just as interesting on page 5 of the brochure is the helicopter behind ? If the photo is taken at Aeromecanic, France then the AS350 behind the Gazelle is most likely G-PLMB thats who PDG sold it to !
    G-PLMB did become F-HFPP. The picture shows her in the same colours as seen on G-PLMB.

Leave a comment:

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
    WOW, what a view!! Lot of countries has less Gazelles in their hangars than you XB
    I bet that that photo gets people thinking !!

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Dear Mr. Wilson, welcome aboard! Looking forward to see more of your Gazelle photos here

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    WOW, what a view!! Lot of countries has less Gazelles in their hangars than you XB

Thanks for share!

• xbdt
    replied
    Time to Clean the Hangar!

N341DT had to stay inside unfortunately.

N901B, 2-WILD, N341GG, N341AS.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341B XX458 WA1469 the 100th Gazelle to be produced at Yeovil as seen in 1976 (Photo by Clive Wilson)

The 100th Westland-Built Gazelle

I worked on the first two development Gazelles at Yeovil in 1972 and then helped assemble the next 200 helicopters until production was transferred to the Weston-super-Mare factory.

There were only 12 real civil Gazelles made at Yeovil, the thirteenth civil version was never bought and it was sold to the RAF as a training aid/simulator.

I worked for Westland for 43 years in various positions.”

— Clive Wilson
    With thanks to Clive for this photo, and for this info, oh .. and I almost forgot to mention that Clive is also signing-up to Aviafora!

1469 Additional Info

First flight: 21st May 1976
    Delivery date: 8th June 1976
    Written off on 1st September in Soltau, Germany during target operations

SA341B XX458 (WA1469) (Photo by Johan Visschedijk)

The location for the above shot is not given, but I hope Clive may be able to confirm whether it is Yeovil.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at Booker on 15th June 2018 (Photo: Jon Wickenden)

Gaz Bits ..

Ex-Crabtree Gaz T-shirt for sale here.

This classic Aérospatiale-commissioned model of the very first Gazelle has now been sold (I think we advised about this when it originally came up for sale a year or so ago) hopefully it has gone to an Aviaforan.

Original Gaz model.

Anyone attending the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix, be advised that 'Gaz transfers' remain available.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Brilliant Stafano! Grazie.

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    I would say, based on your investigations, that this could indeed be Aeromecanic's Marseille hangar.

Sure would be interesting to find out which craft this is.

This photo was indeed taken at the Aeromecanic hanagar at Marignane near Marseille.

The black Gazelle was an ex-French military bird and was the first (and I think only) one which they overhauled.

I saw it there many years ago while buying parts. Also there was a 342J which went to a friend of mine in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Bravo Jos and Elipix!

I would say, based on your investigations, that this could indeed be Aeromecanic's Marseille hangar.

Sure would be interesting to find out which craft this is.

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    Just as interesting on page 5 of the brochure is the helicopter behind ? If the photo is taken at Aeromecanic, France then the AS350 behind the Gazelle is most likely G-PLMB thats who PDG sold it to ! Just don't remember it being in those colours, maybe repainted by them. Still does not identify the Gazelle but maybe a location for the photo.

Helipixman

• Rotorspot
    replied
    The pictures of Zis' unidentified Gaz come from the brochure at http://asiandragoninternational.yola...20SA341-F2.pdf

The brochure seems to offer for sale 8 former French Army SA341F2 Gazelles (that are even 'Google' compatible).

The brochure lists the following 9 c/n's (where known I have added their civil registration):

1384 to N497MM
    1433 to N1433W
    1448 to N2MF
    1482 to N341MG
    1558 to N321VV
    1575 to N2TW, N9334W

I have not been able to link any of these to the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    And 'improved' skids too!

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Re 'uniquely accurate' Gaz model above, it's actually an vintage Radio Controlled model of Gazelle from early 1970's a bit 'improved' in it's tail section

• Savoia
    replied

SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen at Hillhead Quarry, Buxton on 28th June 2018 (Photo: Mike Powney)

SA341G(S) YU-HEY (cn 1320) as seen at Hillhead Quarry, Buxton on 28th June 2018 (Photo: Mike Powney)

SA342J YU-HES (cn.1057) as seen 'somewhere' in Cheshire on 8th June 2018 (Photo: Bryan Crawford)

Black Pete (YU-HVZ) 'fights' with EC130 OO-SUZ for the same spot (Photo: Jimmy van Drunen)

Not quite sure of the location of Black Pete and the EC130, but perhaps XB can assist?

Here's another take on Zis' unidentified Gaz:

She looks to be an 'F2' and I'm suspecting these shots may have been taken a while back. Still trying to track down her ID.

Also for Zis: Another 'uniquely accurate' Gaz model, and this one really is unique. As it happens, this piece of .. umm .. 'workmanship' is for sale.

Staying with the models:

Alouette and Gaz as seen at the Kreuztal Littfeld Turbine Meeting in Germany in June 2018

And back to full size:

SA341F2 departing Space Coast Regional Airport in Titusville, Florida on 14th July 2018

Can anyone assist with an ID for this bird?

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    replied
    G-CBSK at Weston-super-Mare in June 23rd, 2018 (Photo: Kris Dul)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie Jos!

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely images indeed! Please keep 'em coming, Sergey

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Félicitations aux amis Français pour gagner!
    Last edited by Zishelix; 2 days ago.

• Rotorspot
    replied

Change of Ownership

N383GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1383, changed ownership to EXCEL POWER VENTURES INC, WILMINGTON (Delaware) on 05-Jul-2018

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen on Mount Arabika (6800ft) near Lake Dzou in Abkhazia in July 2018

With many thanks to Sergey for these lovely shots!

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

3/3 Squadron SA342M 'GEX'

3/3 Squadron, Les Félins advise that they will be flying over Paris tomorrow during this year's Bastille Day celebrations!

Bonne chance Les Félins!

HA-LFH 'The Haelo Gaz' landing at Church Fenton yesterday

Leave a comment:

Working...
X