X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zishelix
    started a topic Shrieking Gazelles

Shrieking Gazelles

This thread is for the appreciation of the SA.341/342 series Gazelle helicopters of which I am an enthusiast.

Over the years I have collected a considerable amount of material relating to Gazelles, some of which I will be pleased to share here with those who are interested.

I will be happy to discuss anything relating to the history of the Gazelle (now almost almost 50 years old) as well as anything and everything relating to its operations around the world. I hope to meet other Gazelle enthusiasts along the way!

Finally, the Gazelle produces a unique sound as a result of a harmonisation which occurs between the fenestron and the main rotor blades. This effect is sometimes known as "shrieking."

• Savoia
    replied

SA342L1 YU-HEA (cn.118) NFI (Photo by Igor Salinger)

SA341B XW848 (WA1013) as seen at Middle Wallop on 25th August 1993 (Photo by Peter Davis) Assigned to 671 Squadron

SA342 RA-0682G in Russia NFI

Red Bull digital Gazelle

Gaz vs. F-16

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Bravo Stefano, grazie mille! πŸ‘

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    If I'm not mistaken then I think that one of Stefano's early ex-mil Gazelles had this arrangement fitted.

I did ask (many years ago) about the reason for this set up, and I believe it was Stefano who provided the response, but right now I can't remember what that was, but I'm supposing it was simply an alternative exhaust mounting.

This mounting was fixed to rails on the upper surface of the tailboom. The purpose of this arrangement was to solve problems with cracking which had occurred with the original upturned exhaust as a result of the extra weight of the heat insulation material surrounding the exhaust.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    That's the one, grazie Elipix. πŸ‘

Looks like Nige with Stefano.

• Helipixman
    replied
    It was G-CDXE that had a similar exhaust set up as per photo...

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    If I'm not mistaken then I think that one of Stefano's early ex-mil Gazelles had this arrangement fitted.

I did ask (many years ago) about the reason for this set up, and I believe it was Stefano who provided the response, but right now I can't remember what that was, but I'm supposing it was simply an alternative exhaust mounting.

I think this 'exhaust-sitting-on-a-box' design was exclusive to Westland, and of the various exhaust options available, I always felt this was the least attractive.

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    The BAG looks like the exhaust fitting is on a set of guide rails, maybe for a quick on/off fitment ?

• Jakub Cikhart
    commented on 's reply
    Great pics ! One question - why some British Army Gazelles has that 'pylon' under the upturned exhaust ? I never noticed that before. Thanks !

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie mille Jos! πŸ‘

I was wondering about the aircraft in the background, so this is much appreciated.

• Savoia
    replied

BATUS Gazelles as seen at Rocky Mountain House Airport in October 2017 (Photo by Simon Longworth)

SA341B as seen in Colchester on 13th March 2011

SA342MV F-MCXH as seen refuelling in Afghanistan NFI

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) NFI (Photo by Lance)

Leave a comment:

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
    Does anyone know which Gazelle this is ? Or has it been seen on here before ? It is from an advert with ACS Aero India from January 2020 !

Ex-French military SA341F fitted with a non-standard baggage door.

Leave a comment:

• Helipixman
    replied
    Does anyone know which Gazelle this is ? Or has it been seen on here before ? It is from an advert with ACS Aero India from January 2020 !

Leave a comment:

• Rotorspot
    commented on 's reply
    Nice. Next to her is SA365N Dauphin 2 VT-MAA (c/n 6080) of Mesco Airlines, which became F-GMTR.

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    Another interesting order in 1972 for Gazelles was by Air Gregory. They placed an order for 1 Gazelle and options for 2 more. At the same time Point to Point placed an order for 1 Gazelle (G-BAGJ United Marine). The Air Gregory order must have been cancelled ?

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    Just to complete the history of G-AVTE it went through two more owners after Mr Smith and then went to SFT where it met its tragic end. On 25.9.83 a foreign military pilot was doing solo training when he flew it into a ridge on Mid Standard Hill near Galloway losing his life.

• Savoia
    replied

BAGS in Kosovo NFI

SA342M (cn.1870) as seen at Middle Wallop on 14th May 1994 (Photo by Ray Barber)

SA341G F-GEST (cn.1113) as seen at Toussus-le-Noble on 11th March 2003 (Photo by Mike Kell)

Note that GEST is wearing something on her feet!

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Bravo Elipix! πŸ‘

That would have made this Twyford's second Gazelle.

G-AVTE was the first Bell-built 206 on the UK register and the tenth overall delivered to the UK (in the summer of 1967). She was initially owned by BSR of Staffordshire before going on to A. Smith & co.

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    A Smith (Culcheth) Ltd were a construction company based at Bond Street, Leigh, Lancashire. They had G-BBHV from 13.2.74 - 23.11.78. Director was Alf Smith. I saw an advert in pilot looking for a pilot for this company by Broseley Estates, by a Danny Horrocks. There was another company Horrock Smith so I guess they were both involved with this Gazelle ? Danny Horrocks and Alf Smith were partners in Broseley Estates from around the 1950s as estate agents. Prior to this they had a Bell 206A G-AVTE.
    Also of interest G-BBHV was originally ordered by Twyford Moors but they cancelled the order and it went to A Smith instead.
    Last edited by Helipixman; 3 days ago.

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    This Gazelle went to Shawbury 12.4.06 and was stored there for quite a while. It then moved to Gazelle Depth Support Hub (GDSH) by road on 20.6.11 where it remained with them before being re-named Multi Platform Support Unit (MPSU). It was noted back at Shawbury 2014 and is there with AM & SU where it is currently rumoured to be for sale by tender or reduced to produce ! If the latter happens it would be a great shame.

• Savoia
    replied

Gazelle as seen at Stapleford on 27th November 2020

SA341B XZ347 (WA1713) as seen at Boscombe Down in June 1992 (Photo by Stuart Mitchell)

SA341B ZB671 (WA1958) as seen at Middle Wallop on 16th March 2000 (Photo by Stefan Szrama)

SA341G N341DT (cn.1110) departing Lotenhulle in Belgium on 26th November 2020
    (Video courtesy of Avia member Kurt, Gazelle flown by Avia member XB)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341G G-BBHV WA1096 (Photo by Elipix)

It seems as if Westland were able to find some closely-coloured paper with which to cover the lower portion of the cabin doors!

This photo is similar to a photo of G-BAGK posted in 2014. G-BAGK wore almost identical colours (though she had a white base coat instead of cream) and also had a dirty tail, though not as dirty as this one. Btw, allowing one's tail to get this mucky causes real problems with the paint. Better to clean the craft more regularly if one can.

This Gaz was built in 1973 and after a short period being registered to Westland, was bought by A. Smith (Culcheth) Ltd. of Lancashire who owned her from 1974 to 1978 after which she was sold to France where she became F-GBLK.

Regarding the above photo and in terms of aesthetics, this should be the maximum allowable size for a registration!

Elipix, some years back on the Nostalgia Thread we discussed this company (A. Smith Culcheth), but I don't remember what it was that we discussed, although I seem to remember they bought a number of aircraft. Can you remember anything about them?

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    As 1692 is one of the 'prized' mil Gazelles (due to her registration) it would be interesting to know where she ends up.

• Zishelix
    replied

Anyone able to shed some light on present status of WA1692 XZ341?

Leave a comment:

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    Hopefully an open-top container, otherwise it won't fit. Not sure if that is a good idea for the long trip over the salty sea.

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    Looking at the vehicle lifting N685ZB and the container I hope it gets there in one piece ?

• Savoia
    replied

SA341F2 N2MF (cn.1448) as seen at North Las Vegas Airport on 25th November 2020 (Photo by Houston Moore)

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (1608) as seen in South Africa NFI

N685ZB Leaves for South Africa

SA341B N685ZB (WA1994) being readied for shipment to South Africa in November 2020

WA1994's container

Military Fleets Culled in 2020

The French army’s combat helicopter fleet underwent major change, with its Aerospatiale SA341/342 inventory trimmed from 165 examples to 112.
    https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-...141218.article

Look out for more ex-ALAT Gazelles coming onto the market in 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Jakub Cikhart
    commented on 's reply
    Great, thanks for all the replies !!! Looks like Nec is from Latin Nec plus ultra = Nothing better. So I guess "The ultimate" could be the meaning And yes, A/C DUPRE is probably below that. Thanks !!!

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm .. 1kg of Osmium costs around USD 12,000.

Anyone got any cheap Gaz tail-sections for sale?

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Well done guys! Fingers crossed. 🀞
Working...
X