X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zishelix
    started a topic Shrieking Gazelles

Shrieking Gazelles

This thread is for the appreciation of the SA.341/342 series Gazelle helicopters of which I am an enthusiast.

Over the years I have collected a considerable amount of material relating to Gazelles, some of which I will be pleased to share here with those who are interested.

I will be happy to discuss anything relating to the history of the Gazelle (now almost almost 50 years old) as well as anything and everything relating to its operations around the world. I hope to meet other Gazelle enthusiasts along the way!

Finally, the Gazelle produces a unique sound as a result of a harmonisation which occurs between the fenestron and the main rotor blades. This effect is sometimes known as "shrieking."

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for this last photo, Sav. I was looking for some similar pic http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=4747#post4747

• Savoia
    replied

Gazelle over Skegness, Lincolnshire in October 2018 (Photo by Sean Scott)

But which Gaz?

SA341C G-ZZLE (WA1402) ex-XX436 with Westland Wasp as seen at Kemble Airfield on 30th September 2018 (Photo by Bob Symes)

SA341F2 'BDK' (Photo by Ad Vercruijsse)

SA342J YU-HES (cn.1057) NFI

Gazelles over HMS Hermes

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Also reported on Shrieking Gazelles:
    http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=8522#post8522

• Zishelix
    replied
    Interesting patch from Cyprus, commemorating 30 Yrs of Gazelle in their military forces

Speaking of Cyprus Gaz, in November last year there was announcement of obtaining four more machines for National Guard
    https://cyprus-mail.com/2017/11/28/h...ational-guard/

Didn't notice the plans come true so far...

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    It's difficult to see exactly what kind of set-up they are using, but I am sure you are right Stefano.

Speaking of damage to the fuselage, this bird 'also' seems to have a dent on the rear pax door. I say 'also' because I seem to remember one or more Gazelles in past posts having a dent in the same area.

In Italy we have a dent repair service 'Levabolli' which is good a repairing such things without paint or filler! https://www.levabolliebattilastra.com/

• md600driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Helipixman View Post

Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    One observes that they are using a strap across the cabin floor to secure the trapeze. Bell employed a similar arrangement with their very first lifting strop for the 206. Only problem is .. it can send the CofG uncomfortably forward (especially on a stretched bird) and which is probably why there is someone seated behind the driver. It think I would have been inclined to remove the rear doors and put the lifting strap across the cabin floor as far aft as it would go (so that the lifting strop hung down aft of the front skids) - better still would have been something below the mast, but .. the craft doesn't appear to have been fitted with a hook.

I would have thought that would damage the side of the helicopter if it was a simple strap, I think it must have been a more substantial rigging.

Surprisingly, the C o G does move that much.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied
    BosPol

SA341H E7-AAB (cn.037) engaged in police diver-drop operations in Banja Luka, Bosnia, October 2018

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Ha ha, what a great photo Elipix, bravo!

Francecopter? I think this may be the first time for this title to appear on the thread, not sure, never heard of Francecopter before.

One observes that they are using a strap across the cabin floor to secure the trapeze. Bell employed a similar arrangement with their very first lifting strop for the 206. Only problem is .. it can send the CofG uncomfortably forward (especially on a stretched bird) and which is probably why there is someone seated behind the driver. It think I would have been inclined to remove the rear doors and put the lifting strap across the cabin floor as far aft as it would go (so that the lifting strop hung down aft of the front skids) - better still would have been something below the mast, but .. the craft doesn't appear to have been fitted with a hook.

See page 94 via the link below for a photo of this craft when she flew in the UK as G-SKUL:
    http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=8192#post8192

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely shot Zis!

• Savoia
    replied

SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) on the Angara River 150kms SE of Bratsk in Russia on 17th October 2018 (Photos by Kirill)

On Wednesday 17th October, Avia member Kirill took the Cyrilcraft (aka '709') 150 kms southeast of Bratsk in the province of Irkutsk in Russia, for the purpose of dropping-off a spare part required for a logging operation.

In these photos, 709 is seen having landed on a barge in the Angara River while delivering the part.

With our thanks to Kirill for these photos!

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    replied

Flashback on the Gazelle 50th Anniversary Commemorative Fly-in at Middle Wallop April 7th, 2017 (Photo: Paul Longshaw)

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Many thanks for this photo, Helipix! I saw many pics of other helicopters with trapeze artists and wondered how come nobody got idea to use Gazelle for such performance. Now I see F-GFEB did it

• Helipixman
    replied
    It's amazing the lengths some people will go to for a Gazelle flight !

Photo: Helipixman Collection

Leave a comment:

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    Its third owner was Association Rotor Club Alpin 8.3.90

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Rotor Club Alpin

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Zis, this must surely be connected with some sort of testing for the missile sight.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    And there's even a light dusting of snow on the hills!

Any idea of the name beneath the 'Rotor Club' wording?

• Zishelix
    replied
    Since it's too early for posting Snow Gazelles, here's another one of Sav's favourite themes - Yellow Gaz!

SA341G F-GEHE s/n. 1170

One more pic of the same machine here

Leave a comment:

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Hopefuly someday our French friends will 'discover' this thread and help us to solve this and other Gazelle mysteries

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Having enquired, one suggestion is that it is a tactical simulation kit which you shoot at with a laser. When it is shot at, the light on top of the unit illuminates and the light circle indicates which aperture was hit, revealing the relative direction of the hit.

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    1285/BSI was a test bed machine for various equipment and armament, but I have no clue about this stuff purpose. Maybe for calibration of the polyvalent tube?

Great and rare pics, Helipix. Much appreciate!

• Helipixman
    replied
    I am currently going through my thousands of Gazelle images and found this interesting equipment, it's on both sides of the Gazelle and what seems to be a control box inside - any ideas what it is ?

Its on an ALAT Gazelle FM-BSI c/n 1285

Helipixman Collection

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Ah .. once again .. Elipix pulling rare photos from the depths of his commendable collection!

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely shots Elipix, bravo!

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie Elipix!

• Helipixman
    replied
    I-OLLY Here is another shot of this Gazelle in all white complete with Jolly Club titles and Eli Dolomiti on mast housing.

Leave a comment:

• Helipixman
    replied
    A couple of shots of E7-VDH Soko Gazelle (060) ex YU-HFL, Jrv12817. NFI

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Always nice to see, but just to let you know .. the 'Snow Gazelles' (for the past few years) have begun on or around 20th December in the days immediately running-up to Christmas - so hopefully you will still have one or two remaining for then!

• Zishelix
    replied
    One more for Sav's favorite Snow Gazelle section

Leave a comment:

Working...
X