X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zishelix
    started a topic Shrieking Gazelles

Shrieking Gazelles

This thread is for the appreciation of the SA.341/342 series Gazelle helicopters of which I am an enthusiast.

Over the years I have collected a considerable amount of material relating to Gazelles, some of which I will be pleased to share here with those who are interested.

I will be happy to discuss anything relating to the history of the Gazelle (now almost almost 50 years old) as well as anything and everything relating to its operations around the world. I hope to meet other Gazelle enthusiasts along the way!

Finally, the Gazelle produces a unique sound as a result of a harmonisation which occurs between the fenestron and the main rotor blades. This effect is sometimes known as "shrieking."

• Savoia
    replied

SA341G(S) G-ZELL (cn.1280) as seen at Athens Hellinikon Airport in Greece in the 1990's (Photo courtesy of George Pantalos)

New Gazelles Delivered to Mozambique

Aside from the mercenary Gazelles currently operating in Mozambique, two new Gazelles have also recently been delivered as per below:

SA341B FA-085 (WA1435) as seen at Nacala Airport, Mozambique in February 2021 (ex-XX445)

SA341B FA-083 (WA1966) as seen at Nacala Airport, Mozambique in February 2021 (ex-ZB673)

With our thanks to the Avia reader who supplied these photos.

If you have any Gazelle news, photos or videos you wish to see posted on Shrieking Gazelles, please write to: aviafora1@gmail.com

Elipix, do you remember how you recently enquired about the whereabouts of some of the Gazelles stored at Stapleford and how I replied that there may have been some which were sold and which we were unaware of .. well here are two which are confirmed (thanks to one of our reader's) as having been stored in Martin's warehouse.

Leave a comment:

• Rotorspot
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the help and updates.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie Fabrizio, so much appreciated! ๐Ÿ‘

• Fabrice
    commented on 's reply
    '๐™๐™๐™š ๐™†๐˜ผ๐™ ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ก๐™–๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™ ๐™˜๐™ช๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™ง ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™Ž๐˜ผ342, ๐™ž๐™š. ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™›๐™ž๐™ง๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™˜๐™ช๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™ง ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฉ๐™จ๐™ž๐™™๐™š ๐™ค๐™› ๐™๐™ง๐™–๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ง๐™š๐™˜๐™š๐™ž๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™จ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ?'

Actually, Kuwait was the very first worldwide customer to have 342s. The ALAT had its own 342M some years later (from 1980 on). The 342 with the Astazou XIV was not designed according to any official requirement, but only as a private initiative from Aerospatiale.

I don't think that the high gear is linked to any specific version, I believe it is simply an option you can add, or not, like sand filters, armament and so on.

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    Also I see it has the high gear.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie XB! ๐Ÿ‘

Fabrizio, the KAF were the launch customer for the SA342, ie. the first customer outside of France to receive this version?

• Fabrice
    commented on 's reply
    Indeed, Kuwait was the launch customer for the 342, with the SA 342K version. I still need confirmation, but I believe the 342K was limited to 1800kg MTOW. At some point (I don't have the date, unfortunately), they have been upgraded to become 342Ls, probably with a stronger MGB to sustain the 1900kg TOW. Not all the Kuwaiti Gazelles sport the SA 342L title on the fin however.

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    I think the K was delivered with the sand filter and MAYBE the Astazou 14M where the 342L has the 14H engine.

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    Yes of course the latest french 342M's will be with the 355 blades but probably many years from now. It is not just a matter of fitting the 355 blades, but the blade root fixtures are different (so they suit the gazelle sleeves and drag damper) and the pitch links are shorter. Probably the inertia is lower due to the lower rrpm on the 341 and the lighter weight of the blades so maybe therefore they only allowed these to be fitted on the 342.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    I think Fabrizio is the one to help us.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie XB! ๐Ÿ‘

'๐˜ฝ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™š๐™ฃ 3 ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ 4 ๐™›๐™š๐™š๐™ฉ' โ€” Exactement, c'est ce que je pense.

'๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™ง๐™š๐™–๐™จ๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ก๐™ค๐™–๐™™ ๐™ค๐™› 200๐™ ๐™œ.'; โ€” This is what I imagined, a significant performance enhancement (as if this was needed on a privately operated Gazelle). Perhaps because of the varying rrpm this would be more suited to civilian-owned 342 and presumably in the future some ex-ALAT 342's will be sold to civilians with the Fennec blades fitted. I think you may encounter a small speed increase too if for example you were to fit these to a 342J and then put it on the experimental category (if one wanted to do such a thing).

'๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™จ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™‹๐™„๐˜พ ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™๐™„๐˜ผ๐™ 2019.' โ€” Bravo Julien ๐Ÿ‘ tu es une โญ

• Rotorspot
    replied
    Originally posted by Savoia View Post

SA342L KAF501 (cn.1085) as seen at Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait in July 2016 (Photo by S. Teliks)

Seeing the nice picture of the Kuwaiti SA342L, reminds me of a question that I have. I think the Kuwaiti Gazelles were delivered as SA342K models. Some are now known as SA342L model. Have they been modified? If so, when did that happen?

Leave a comment:

• Tasty
    commented on 's reply
    Between 3 and 4 feet and I confirm that this Gazelle is wearing Fennec blades (like all the 342M1 and MA).

I donโ€™t know if you can fit these blades on a 341B but it could increase the payload of 200kg.

I was the PIC for the RIAT 2019.

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    Yes these are 355 blades, not allowed to be fitted on a 341 for autorotation reasons (that is what I was being told). The 341 spins at 378 rpm and the 342 at 387 rpm. Also Airbus gave only permission to be fitted onto 342M.

• Savoia
    replied

SA342MV F-MGBE (cn.2053) as seen at RAF Fairford on 20th July 2019 (Photo by Lee Adcock)

Estimated Blade Height Competition!

Approximately how high do you think GBE's forward main blade is from the ground?

a) 2 feet
    b) 3 feet
    c) 4 feet
    d) 5 feet

Please offer your best estimate in the comments below.

Fabrizio, can you confirm that this aircraft is wearing Fennec blades. Also, can anyone say whether you can fit Fennec blades onto an SA341B for example and what the increased performance would be?

SA341B XZ333 (WA1622) as seen at RAF Mildenhall on 29th May 1988

Digital SA342MV's

Gazelles engaged in mercenary operations in the Cabo Delgado province of Mozambique in February 2021

The current mercenary rotary force in Mozambique consists of 2 x Gazelle, 2 x Alouette III and 1 x Bell 407.

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie Fabrizio! ๐Ÿ‘

A lot of misinformation being sent with these photos, but we are so glad for your input.

• Fabrice
    commented on 's reply
    Not in Mali, an pre-2009 picture. From 2009 on, all the ALAT Gazelles have been coded with lifelong regs, beginning with a G. On this one, the reg indicates the unit as per the old system, in this case Etain's 3รจme RHC. It's a SA 341F2 btw (no doppler fairing under the aft fuselage, which makes the most noticeable difference with the ALAT 342s).

• Savoia
    replied

SA342L KAF501 (cn.1085) as seen at Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait in July 2016 (Photo by S. Teliks)

SA342M as seen in Mali in 2013

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA342M's at ร‰tain-Rouvres Air Base in February 2021

SA342M F-MGEC near ร‰tain-Rouvres Air Base in February 2021

SA341D XZ936 (WA1743) as seen at RAF Fairford on 22nd July 1989

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie Jakub!

That's really helpful to have the right construction number. ๐Ÿ‘ I am wondering though whether it is an F2?

Jos has this aircraft as being on the US register as N341KJ, although I have never seen a photo of this.

• Jakub Cikhart
    commented on 's reply
    Great pic !!! It looks like it is 1483 not 1438, with BWN (I have it wrongly as BWH) with 34 tail code. I have it as an SA-341F1, 3e RHC, green camo, JVN, NAVSTAR (HAP). Really great great pic !!!

• Savoia
    replied

SA341F2 N2MF (cn.1448) as seen at North Las Vegas Airport on 19th January 2021 (Photo by Robert Domandl)

SA341B XX384 (WA1276) as seen at Gutersloh in Germany on 16th June 1999 (Photo by Joop de Groot)

F-MBWN as seen at Phalsbourg in May 1991 (Photo by Gilles Tariol)

Jakub, I am not sure if this was a Gulf War Gaz, but she seems to be wearing the appropriate markings.

I am also unsure as to which model this is (341F2?) and of her construction number. There was mention of 1438, but on Jos' list this is recorded as a 342L with Ecuadorian markings. Hopefully Fabrizio can assist us.

Arms Dealers Facing Prosecution

Erik Prince (American) and Amanda Perry (British) are among those accused by the United Nations of violating an arms embargo through their association with 'Operation Opus' which involved the supply of weapons and armaments to Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar in 2019. Also supplied were a number of aircraft including three Gazelle helicopters.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/blackw...ions-un-report

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/u...ftar-mjztpc29d

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341G ZU-ROO (cn1301) as seen at Mossel Bay Airport on 26th November 2020 (Photo by Cassie Nel)

While the above photo was taken by Cassie Nel, it was sent to us by Duncan Gillespie who also sent us all the photos and videos relating to ZU-RLD's recent event. Grazie mille Duncan!

SA341B XW865 (WA1119) as seen at Calgary Airport on 16th July 2020

SA341B XX405 (WA1343) as seen at Aldergrove in Northern Ireland on 17th February 2021 (Photo by Jonas Verner)

Leave a comment:

• Savoia
    replied

SA341G G-BAGJ (WA1039) as seen at Cirencester Park in Gloucestershire on 13th June 1973 (Photo by Trevor Bartlett)

The lovely G-BAGJ seen attending a balloon meet in 1973, and just visible behind BAGJ .. the equally lovely G-AWGU which I had the pleasure of flying many times in the late 70's and early 80's.

SA341G HA-LFA (cn.1097) as seen in Hungary NFI

Leave a comment:

• xbdt
    commented on 's reply
    There were 28 helicopter and plane accidents in SA last month only. They are now investigating the fuel as possible cause to all these accidents.

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    '๐™ƒ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ข๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™™๐™–๐™ข๐™–๐™œ๐™š ๐™™๐™ค๐™š๐™จ ๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™™๐™ค ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š/๐™œ๐™š๐™–๐™ง๐™—๐™ค๐™ญ ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™˜ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ง๐™จ ๐™จ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ž๐™ก ๐™—๐™ค๐™ค๐™ข? ๐™๐™š๐™—๐™ช๐™ž๐™ก๐™™๐™–๐™—๐™ก๐™š ๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™š๐™ญ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™จ๐™ž๐™ซ๐™š?' โ€” Such an event classifies as a 'sudden stoppage'. In such circumstances manufacturers and national aviation authorities require that all dynamic components be stripped, inspected and overhauled. The fuselage must also be inspected and necessary repairs made. In brief, its expensive.

Regarding whether an aircraft is rebuildable; technically most accidents in which the aircraft has not been destroyed by impact and/or fire can be rebuilt, the question is whether it is economic to do so. Oftentimes it is cheaper, and certainly quicker, to buy another aircraft. When it comes to the airframe, the cost of a rebuild is greatly influenced by whether or not the airframe needs to be repaired with the aid of a jig, which usually indicates that the fuselage's structural integrity has been compromised to such an extent that major repair work is required.

Yes, the craft has been repainted and I believe has a new owner also (to be confirmed).

• Savoia
    commented on 's reply
    Grazie Jos, this information is much appreciated! ๐Ÿ‘

• Helipixman
    commented on 's reply
    Agree with your history, I have notes on this Gazelle stating it was built as an HT.2 but issued to the RAF so did change to HT.3. It was noted as stored at Wroughton in 1979 along with a few other HT.2s which also went to the RAF. I have it as being with Central Flying School coded Z, then to ETPS still as Z then as you quote to Qinetiq and then G-CLGO.

• Zishelix
    commented on 's reply
    Bad news, indeed
Working...
X