Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341F2 N9334W (cn.1575) as seen in Nevada in 2019

Check out the lastest Gaz on the GazMart!

Comment

• SA341G N341GG (cn.1181) as seen in Belgium on 1st June 2019

Comment

• A look at the painting process of this year's Tiger Gaz.

SA342M F-MGAB 3476 being repainted at Étain-Rouvres in May 19 (Photos by Régis Rocca)

SA342M F-MGAB 3476 during the Tiger Meet exercise in May 2019 (Photos by Anthony Pecchi)

Comment

• Members of the Gaz Squad at Old Warden on 2nd June 2019

SA341B XW847 (WA1011) as seen at Killymeal Barracks in Northern Ireland in the 1980's

Comment

• Crabtree Gazelles Transferred to Hungarian Register

The following Crabtree Gazelles have recently been transferred to the Hungarian register:

G-CIEX SA341B (c/n WA1987)
            G-CLBC SA342M (c/n 1615)

Both were cancelled from the UK register on 15-May-2019.

I have no new registrations (yet).

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie mille Jos! Perhaps Stefano will offer us some more info on the future of these birds.

Btw, are you able to shed any light on the registration/construction number of the latest Gazelle for sale on the GazMart because the owner is saying it is 1098 http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...0877#post10877

• UR-ABBA c/n !!

Its interesting that the CAA have two different helicopters listed with the same c/n 1098... G-BZFJ and G-WDEV ?

This is what I think is correct:-

1098 is G-BBHW, G-IZEL, G-WDEV (The original paper document shows G-BBHW registered as WA1098)
            1102 is XW861, G-BZFJ, UR-ABBA

The owner must have paperwork with the correct c/n or has the CAA told him its 1098 (because thats what they have it as) when it was exported from the UK ? Its over to the owner to show us the correct paperwork, and then we will know for real and problem solved !

Helipixman

Comment

• xbdt
              xbdt commented
              Editing a comment
              For me it is 1102 SA341C

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              I have requested a photo of the ID plate, but why is the CAA listing 1098 as G-BZFJ?

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
            Crabtree Gazelles Transferred to Hungarian Register

The following Crabtree Gazelles have recently been transferred to the Hungarian register:

G-CIEX SA341B (c/n WA1987)
            G-CLBC SA342M (c/n 1615)

Both were cancelled from the UK register on 15-May-2019.

I have no new registrations (yet).

G-CLBC was de-registered as sn.3615. The CAA confirmed this serial number after checking with Airbus.

No new registration details as yet.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Stefano. We look forward to seeing these aircraft in the times ahead.

• UR-ABBA

Herewith is the CAA cancellation of registration document for UR-ABBA, but as mentioned above, we've also asked for a photo of the data plate.

The discouraging thing (for me at least) is when the national aviation authorities 'get it wrong' so to speak, by failing to confirm the facts, for as Elipix noted, how can both G-BZFJ and G-WDEV be allocated the same construction number?

Comment

• SA342J(S) YU-HPZ (cn.1473) as seen at Lee-on-Solent Airfield on 29th May 2019 (Photo by Chris Terry)

ZB627 with XX436 at Old Warden on 2nd June 2019

SA341D ZB627 (WA1914) as seen at RAF Fairford on 25th July 1993 (Photo by Graham Tiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                UR-ABBA

Herewith is the CAA cancellation of registration document for UR-ABBA, but as mentioned above, we've also asked for a photo of the data plate.

The discouraging thing (for me at least) is when the national aviation authorities 'get it wrong' so to speak, by failing to confirm the facts, for as Elipix noted, how can both G-BZFJ and G-WDEV be allocated the same construction number?

The photos of UR-ABBA show an ex-UK military bird whereas G-WDEV was a civilian bird I believe.

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Correct MD600

UR-ABBA is a 341C HT.2 and WDEV was a 341G

Helipixman

• SA341D XW852 (WA1024) NFI (Photo by Rupert Kelley)

SA341B XZ334 (WA1673) as seen at RAF Wethersfield on 30th July 1983 (Photo by Robert Nichols)

Comment

• Gaz with Mil 8, probably 1980's

There is probably an interesting story behind this photo, but as yet I am not aware of it. Let us see however what information may unfurl in times ahead.

Comment

• Montenegrin Air Force SA342L1 12943 (cn.163) as seen at Cerklje ob Krki Airport in Slovenia in May 2019

SA341D G-CBKA (WA1746) as seen at Breighton Airfield on 22nd September 2013

Btw, does anyone know the current status of G-CBKA?

SA341F2 (cn.1541) at the RotorLeasing facility in Colorado

Comment

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      G-CBKA sadly the owner John Windmill passed away while on holiday in the USA on 1.4.17.

The permit to fly expired on 9.1.18 so probably stored at his private location with other helicopters he had. The last pictures I can find of KA are visiting a heli day at Breighton in 2013.

• VH-PWS Gazelle c/n 1293

Having just read an aviation magazine from the 1980s, it seems this Gazelle (or at least the remains) was noted at Chalmington Manor Airfield in the late 80s.

This is the first I have heard of this Gazelle being in the UK and I doubt we may ever find out what happened to it after reading the following !

Brian Woodford owner of the Manor and airfield was and apparently is still wanted for smuggling military parts into Iran via his company Monarch Aviation.
                    He had another company in the UK Wessex Aviation & Transport Ltd and had a large collection of aircraft including: 5 X Dornier DO.27s, a Fox Moth, MS.500 Criquet, Westland Lysander, Antonov AN-2 and a 180hp American registered Cessna 152.

Anyone else heard of this Gazelle in the UK ?

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think Zis once posted a shot of some tailbooms stored in the UK, were parts of 1293 among them I wonder?

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                    G-CBKA sadly the owner John Windmill passed away while on holiday in the USA on 1.4.17.

The permit to fly expired on 9.1.18 so probably stored at his private location with other helicopters he had. The last pictures I can find of KA are visiting a heli day at Breighton in 2013.

John's family are still discussing the issues surrounding the disposal of his assets.

I clearly remember when John and a few other Gazelle owners visited for the annual helicopter day at Breighton.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perhaps someone could support the family by going over there and running the engine once in a while?

• SA341H HA-LFW (cn.096) as seen at Graz Airport in Austria in June 2019

A Gaz Squad Gazelle flown by Mark Fairchild with Andy Foxley next to him (Photo by Greg)

If anyone has any further info on the above photo, please advise.

SA342L L815 at Beirut–Rafic Hariri Airport in January 2019

SA341F F-MCMA (cn.1131) as seen on 29th July 2009 (Photo by Philippe)

No location for the above shot, but this is ALAT's desert scheme, so somewhere hot!

SA341F F-MAFE (cn.1522) at the live fire site on Île du Levant, France in March 2004 (Photo by Brigadier Mangin)

SA342M 3458 (cn.1458) as seen off the coast of the former Yugoslavia in May 1995 (Photo by Christian Malcros)

A recently completed mini-Gaz

Elipix is this similar to the one you made?

Comment

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Difficult to gauge the scale of the above looks like 1/72 going on the size of the typewriter label. The two models I purchased were 1/48 scale Alouette and Gazelle.

Have not completed them yet, working on the Alouette first then the Gazelle, will post pictures of each when complete.

Helipixman

• UR-ABBA

We have now received a photo of the data plate for the latest Gazelle advertised in the GazMart.

The data plate is a little worn (navy boots) but the outline of the numbers is still just visible.

Therefore, my understanding of this aircraft's history is as follows:

Construction No. WA1098
                    • 1973 Westland-built Gazelle delivered to the Royal Navy and initially registered as XW861
                    • Decommissioned from the military and placed on the British civilian register as G-BZFJ in May 2000
                    • Exported to the Ukraine in September 2006 and entered on the Ukraine civil register as UR-ABBA
                    The only thing which has thrown me out a little is that the data plate identifies the craft as a series 'G' instead of 'C'.

Comment

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am honestly amazed, what can you say with evidence like that. Every mention of G-BBHW/IZEL/WDEV shows the construction number as 1098 (even the CAA ?)

So as Sav has pointed out G-BZFJ being a 341C model, surely the data plate would show it as a C model not G ?

What would be great would be having a look at the data plate of WDEV if it still exists. This craft was a G model !

Still confused
                      Helipixman

• Looking to buy a Gazelle?

Then check out the latest offerings on the GazMart.

Comment

I am honestly amazed, what can you say with evidence like that. Every mention of G-BBHW/IZEL/WDEV shows the construction number as 1098 (even the CAA ?)

So as Sav has pointed out G-BZFJ being a 341C model, surely the data plate would show it as a C model not G ?

What would be great would be having a look at the data plate of WDEV if it still exists. This craft was a G model !

Still confused
                      Helipixman

I have seen quite a few Gazelle data plates, but I have never seen one with series G written on it!

I think this could have been altered after it left the UK military.

Comment

• noscoavia
                        noscoavia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The 'Yeovil dataplate' iillustrated, is also devoid of the Date of Manufacture and the factory quality control inspectors stamps, traditionally found on a aerospatiale/eurocopter/airbus helicopter 'pukka' dataplate.

• c/n 1098 UR-ABBA

I contacted the CAA earlier today after seeing the photo of the data plate and received a very courteous reply from the head of aircraft registrations who basically admitted that there was an error, but that since the aircraft has been out of the UK for so long they will leave their records as they are.

Apparently this had been queried in 2004 by an Aviation Historian group and I have contacted them to see if there was a final outcome.

Having seen this reply I still believe UR-ABBA is actually 1102 but somehow has a data plate showing 1098 ?????

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow, great work Elipix!

I wonder where G-WDEV's airframe ended-up?

G-BBHW (also 1098) seems to have been a civilian bird from the beginning, so I agree that it doesn't make much sense for 1102 to be 1098 .. and yet .. this is what the CAA records show and now also the aircraft itself !!!

Motivation? Alright, we understand that there can be some advantages to owning/operating a civilian Gazelle compared with an ex-UK mil bird, particularly when that craft is operating outside the UK, so let's assume the worst for a moment, but if we do that we must ask the question .. 'How does someone 'feed' 1098 into the CAA's registration database while declaring that the aircraft was formerly XX861?' — and this being done 'before' G-WDEV was written off, ie. while another 1098 was active ???

• SA341G(S) YU-HHH (cn.1307) as seen at Stapleford on 10th June 2019

For some reason the photographer thought it necessary to remove the registration .. and to place a Honda CFR 1000L Africa Twin in front of it!

SA342L1 F-MBXG 4230 (cn.2230) as seen at Étain-Rouvres in September 2006 (Photo by A. Auguste)

SA342MV as seen near Mitrovica, Kosovo on 8th March 2006 (Photo by Stève Le Grall)

SA342MV F-MCXH dearting Kabul, Afghanistan on 15th October 2008

Comment

• Above: SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) as seen at Bratsk Airport in Russia on 10th June 2019

Below: '709' on the banks of the Lena River in Russia on 5th June 2019

Avia member Kirill displaying the fruits of a recent fishing expedition

With our thanks to Kirill for these lovely shots!

Comment

• New registration... G-TSTR

G-TSTR
                          Westland SA341D Gazelle HT.3
                          C/n: 1905
                          P/i: ZB625
                          Owner: The Gazelle Squadron Display Team Ltd, 11.6.19

This Gazelle is an ex Qinetiq machine and I assume the registration is to reflect the work they do... Tester !
                          She has 10,960 hrs as of the end of May 2019 and is awaiting permit issue.

Lets hope someone from the Squadron can post some images soon.

Helipixman

Comment

• SA341B XZ345 (WA1705) as seen at Tintagel in Cornwall on 1st June 2017 (Photo by Peter)

Another reminder .. the days of seeing actively serving military Gazelles in the UK are drawing to a close. Enjoy (and photograph) them while you can!

SA341's as seen during Exercise 'Dam Tam' in Solenzara, Corsica on 25th April 1989 (Photo by Gilles Tariol)

Comment

• Gazelle C/n 1098

I have had a reply from an Air Britain member who has stated:-

Two military Gazelle helicopters had their data plates stamped incorrectly !
                            They are:-

XW860 real c/n 1100 plate stamped as 1096
                            XW861 real c/n 1102 plate stamped as 1098

He also mentions that many Lynx helicopters received wrongly stamped data plates and some were changed two or more times ?

Hope this helps

Helipixman

Comment

Gazelle C/n 1098

I have had a reply from an Air Britain member who has stated:-

Two military Gazelle helicopters had their data plates stamped incorrectly !
                              They are:-

XW860 real c/n 1100 plate stamped as 1096
                              XW861 real c/n 1102 plate stamped as 1098

He also mentions that many Lynx helicopters received wrongly stamped data plates and some were changed two or more times?

Hope this helps

Helipixman

Not sure about that. Whenever I have had an inspection of an aircraft for its first Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA), the authority inspector always checks the data plate, and if the data plate was wrong they wouldn’t issue the CofA.

If a data plate is incorrect, you can order one from Airbus as a purchasable item from their parts book.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                Helipixman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ah yes I assume you are talking CAA for your first inspections. These are both military machines, so who would inspect the data plate when they were delivered to the military ? It seems 1102 was built and given a data plate 1098 at the factory !

Even the CAA let the wrong 1098 get through the system (they must have inspected the data plate) when it became G-BZFJ and apparently decided to let it go or just assumed the plate was correct.

It was only when someone pointed it out to them, they realised that two Gazelles had the same number. Because G-BZFJ had been exported they didnt feel the need to change it. Another reason it might have slipped through was that on the paperwork one was recorded as 1098 and the other as WA1098

Ah yes I assume you are talking CAA for your first inspections. These are both military machines, so who would inspect the data plate when they were delivered to the military ? It seems 1102 was built and given a data plate 1098 at the factory !

Even the CAA let the wrong 1098 get through the system (they must have inspected the data plate) when it became G-BZFJ and apparently decided to let it go or just assumed the plate was correct.

It was only when someone pointed it out to them, they realised that two Gazelles had the same number. Because G-BZFJ had been exported they didnt feel the need to change it. Another reason it might have slipped through was on the paperwork one was recorded as 1098 and the other as WA1098

Yes, but 1102 was sold as 1102, and when you register an ex-mil aircraft you have to provide the invoice from the military as part of the initial registration requirements.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                Helipixman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                From what I understand

1102 XW861 was wrongly stamped at the factory as 1098. So surely it was sold to the military as 1098. I don't suppose the military had any reason to query the construction number and it has had paperwork and data plate for 1098 all of its life. They would not have any reason to suspect there was another 1098 out there on a civilian machine. So when the military sold it they would have passed it on as 1098 because that's what the paperwork/Invoice/data plate showed and then to UR-ABBA.

We may never get to the end of this, only Westland know what really happened, I doubt they will admit there were two Gazelles with the same Construction number.

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Did you read Nosco's comment above:

The 'Yeovil dataplate' iillustrated, is also devoid of the Date of Manufacture and the factory quality control inspectors stamps, traditionally found on a aerospatiale/eurocopter/airbus helicopter 'pukka' dataplate.

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...0916#post10916

I am wondering why this aircraft's data plate is seemingly non standard.

• Polizei Niedersachsen SA342J D-HOPL (cn.1095) NFI

SA341F F-MBOE (cn.1693) landing aboard the assault ship 'Ouragan' in November 1986 (Photo by Gilles Tariol)

'Harry' painting the 2019 Tiger Gaz

Comment

• SA341F2 as seen at King Khalid Military Base, Saudi Arabia in September 1990 after a rare night of desert rain (Photo by Gilles Tariol)

SA341G N2FW (cn.1363) as seen in California in June 2019

SA341D XZ935 (WA1742) + 2 as seen at MoD Lyneham on 20th February 2019 (Photo by Liam Daniels)

Mystery Gaz?

Unidentified Gazelle with no location details

Any guesses as to which bird this might be?

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Mystery Gaz! — Definitely an ex-UK military Gazelle, either RAF or Navy HT2 or 3, not Army or Marines.

Best guess is G-LEDR (sn.1081) shortly after being placed on the civil register and prior to having her seats recovering with leather.

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Grazie Stefano!

So how do you distinguish between the RAF and RN Gazelles and those of the Army and Marines?

From what I understand

1102 XW861 was wrongly stamped at the factory as 1098. So surely it was sold to the military as 1098. I don't suppose the military had any reason to query the construction number and it has had paperwork and data plate for 1098 all of its life. They would not have any reason to suspect there was another 1098 out there on a civilian machine. So when the military sold it they would have passed it on as 1098 because that's what the paperwork/Invoice/data plate showed and then to UR-ABBA.

We may never get to the end of this, only Westland know what really happened, I doubt they will admit there were two Gazelles with the same Construction number.

But military records show it to be 1102 and when sold it would have been 1102.

Here is a photo of the original auction page from Phillips of Bond Street on 24 September for XW861. Two Gazelles were sold that day.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                  Helipixman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Cannot see on that page, where does it state the construction number ?

So if the military sold it as data plate 1102 who changed the plate to 1098 ?
                                  The CAA registered it to European Marine Ltd as 1098. Why if it had paper work for 1102 and a data plate for 1098.

If, as you say the inspectors check this it should have been spotted. If it was sold with the data plate 1102 in the helicopter how could a new owner change it to something else. As the historian who checked this out told me, he found it was stamped at the factory as 1098.

Seems this is going to rumble on.
                              Working...
                              X