Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    XB, me and Zishelix and the Avia readers would be very happy if you, Kurt, Peter and the owner of N505HA could one day get together in the same place at the same time with your craft and take a photo of them. AFAIK, since the creation of the Gazelle there have never been four civilian examples living in northern Belgium/Netherlands - so this would be something to record for posterity!
    Hi Savoia, this is a great idea !

Perhaps I can organize something at EBUL? A little Belgian/Dutch Gazelle fly-in?

Lunch in the club and a photoshoot of the 4 gazelles? Will talk to Peter and Arnaud. Are you in XB? Think so.

Perhaps Mr Crabtree and Nige will fancy crossing the North Sea to join us at the Belgian Gazelle day?

To be continued!

Cheers,

Kurt

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      kurt i am up for that nige would be also

• Hey, so glad to see some new faces on the thread. Welcome aboard!

Excellent idea about Belgian/Dutch (and possible some UK) Gazelle fly-in. Maybe I should consider to visit Belgium in near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
      Maybe I should consider to visit Belgium in near future.
      You and me both! Actually, I have some relatives in Brussels I need to catch-up with so we shall see.

Seeing as we are talking about a Belgian Fly-In, this would be a good time to show a couple more photos from when Kurt and XB were at Koksijde Air Base:

N700SH in front of the X-Craft at Koksijde on 3rd August 2014

XB looking for cans of beer!

The X-Craft and N700SH

XB next to Kurt's craft which is looking splendid with its maroon paint!

XB departs in front of a Catalina - very nice!

As mentioned, we are happy to welcome Avia member MD600 (Steve) among us - and, seeing that has taken the time to post various comments throughout the thread, I've summarised a few of them and which I am sure will be of interest:
      • Responding to comments on up-turned exhausts on Page 1 Steve explained that initially the exhausts were uncovered. Steve also has an exhaust cover available should someone need one.
      • Responding to discussion on Ecuadorian Gazelles on Page 2 Steve informs us that 7 Gazelles were sold by the Ecuadorian Army/Military to South Africa earlier this year.
      • Relating to comments on stretched Gazelles on Page 4 Steve writes: "The stretched Gazelle can be a bit of a problem with weight and balance issues and, as a resultm is not the preferred type of Gazelle among many of the experienced gazelle pilots. For the same reason there are also limitations on IFR flight operations in the stretched version due to instability."
      • Responding to Helipix's comments regarding G-CIEX and G-CIEY on Page 13 Steve confirms that these are both 'Crabtree Gazelles.'
      • Regarding G-CBSH which I mentioned on Page 16 had been sitting for some time at Rochester Airport in the UK, Steve informs us that this craft is now being made airworthy.
      • Steve has responded to our follow-up story on 'Hebrew Gazelles' on Page 16 confirming that 4X-BHH became a Crabtree Gaz which was then sold to South Africa and that the owner has since purchased a second Crabtree Gaz, an SA342L1.
      • Regarding the lovely photo we posted on Page 18 of HA-LFH, Steve writes: "I flew her from Crabtree Farm in the UK to Phalsbourg-Bourscheid Air Base via Belgium and returned a week later. The French Army drivers main comment was "You have carpets and leather seats!" (Yes, I imagine their Mil spec Gazelles are quite bare by comparison).
      • Regarding the 'very nice' photo of HA-LFO posted on Page 18 Steve mentions that this was taken at Hidroplan Nord in Vesprim, Hungary.
      • Concerning Philippine Gazelles (mentioned on Page 19) Steve confirms that two examples from the Philippines became Crabtree Gazelles.
      • Of G-CBGZ which appears on Page 21 Steve mentions that he flew her to the Polish Heli Games earlier this year.
      • Regarding G-BAGL which appeared on Page 21 Steve says that the craft was rebuilt in Yugoslavia and is now flying on that registration.

Comment

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        a little correction
        Of G-CBGZ which appears on Page 21 Steve mentions that he flew her to the Polish Heli Games earlier this year.
        the owner of G-CBGZ flew his own gazelle to the polish heligames I flew HA-LFQ with Big Nige to the heligames

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      Steve informs us that 7 Gazelles were sold by the Ecuadorian Army/Military to South Africa earlier this year.
      I heard about these Gazelles and I am keenly searching for their serial numbers. Any suggestions welcomed.

Comment

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        serial numbers 5011,1887,1881,1434,1427,1423

• I don't know whether these guys Hover Sales South Africa have anything to do with them. You could try and ask?

Gaz Bits Wanted

Gazelle/Alouette tail pipe wanted - Location: Dade City Florida, Telephone: 813-690-7937 - I need a tail pipe for Astazou 2 or 3.

ps: Can anyone confirm whether another batch of 30 Gazelles are up for sale in the UK?

MoD Sales - Batch of 30 Gazelles For Sale

Comment

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        mod sale ??? not to my knowkledge there are some in shawbury but not that many and the mil are using parts of them

• Well .. it seems rude not to!

SA341G HA-LFM as seen at Ascot on 19th June 2008 (Photo: Ben Allsup)

Comment

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        HA-LFM is in hungary having her 12 year check and will be back to uk in feb /march

• Grazie Steve!

Great to have all this info.

Re: the MoD Gazelles the confusion on my part was because they had a 'November 2014 For Sale' banner on the page but evidently it points to something else.

Thanks for the news on 'LFM', is this the one you flew to Russia?

Also, do you happen to know what a 12 year check involves (the main things) for the un-Gazelled among us.

Comment

• Steve, thanks for info regarding demobbed Ecuadorian Gazelles.

Btw, I thought s/n 1887 was written off since 1996 ?!

Comment

• Fancy briefcase for a Gazelle owner.

(from eBay)

Comment

• And in case one doesn't want a hard cover .. there is also a soft bag!

Not sure if we've looked at this example before?

SA341G N101CL (cn 1061) as seen at San Jose Airport in October 1989 (Photo: Sid Nanson)

Any ideas as to whether she's still running?

Comment

• Chino Airport, CA, April 2011... sadly, no further info.

Comment

• This was Bob Bondurant's Gazelle. He used to keep it at his race track in Phoenix, Arizona.

Bob was a famous racing driver and still runs a race driver training school and a special police high speed driver training school.

He treated this helicopter like his baby. I flew with him in 2000 - he wasn't as adventurous in the helicopter as he was on the track!

After Bob sold it, this aircraft was advertised as some sort of co-ownership helicopter where you bought blocks of time.

Comment

• There was article in an old issue of the Motor Trend Magazine about a race between the N101CL and Lamborghini Countach.

But I don't know who won the race!

Comment

• Great stuff Steve, so interesting to hear about this ship's history!

Also, to discover the seemingly endless locations you have been to where there are Gazelles. I'm sure if there were one or more in Antarctica you would probably go there too!

Am interested in your earlier comments regarding the stretched Gaz and issues of instability. Do you think that a lack of vertical stabilisers at the end of the horizontal stabiliser also allows some unwanted yaw? As you know, the Hughes 500 (D model and up) has pretty small 'end plates' on either side of the stabiliser and what I found was that in the 'zone' between accelerating from translational lift through to about 50-60 kts you would get some unwanted 'yawing' - I don't know whether this is something which could be rectified by larger 'end plates' but I do recall flying the LongRanger which, for a time, had about the largest vertical stabilisers in its category and there was very little uncontrolled yaw.

I'm guessing too that with the 'stretch section' being forward of the mast that running short of rear cyclic 'could' be an issue in some configurations (I really don't know, just guessing).

Belgium next year ..

Comment

• md600driver
                      md600driver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Running short of cyclic is a great problem especially if you're trying to land at one of the gates at the Epsom races. Pull back on the stick to stop and there isn't any! Run on landing was performed without embarrassment. Next time in I didn't let the air traffic rush the approach and the expedite was slow. Fixed it for the next year by taking a non-stretch.

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ah ha! Thought that could be an issue, especially if the stretch was something of an after-thought by Aerospatiale. In the LongRanger it can be unpleasant if you end up with passengers occupying the aft-facing seats while the forward facing seats are empty and if you also have a passenger next to the driver. (This configuration in not permitted in the flight manual) but, it can happen, as indeed it did to me. Again, it is possible to run out of rear cyclic and which, as you know, it not pleasant.

• Just to illustrate differences between tail fin plates:

Full fin plates (standard Gazelle)

Short fin plates (stretched Gazelle)

By the way, does anyone know who the lady Gazelle pilot is in France?

(Photo: Jerome Mervelet)

Sav, nice logo of the future Fly-In!

Comment

• Yes this is the daughter of the owner. This aircraft is now in my hangar and will get a new tail number. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                        This aircraft is now in my hangar and will get a new tail number. :-)
                        Wow, wow, wait a second... does that mean N341AS will get a "sister" soon?

Comment

• XB .. this is great news!

Please post a photo of your 'visitor' when you are able - especially when she's wearing her new registration.

Comment

• No it is not mine but belongs to a customer. I'll take a picture as soon as the new registration will be completed (at least one month from now).

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Guessing a new registration might mean new ownership or maybe just onto the US register for the present owner?

If you have flown this one (or other stretched versions) it would be interesting to hear your comments after the recent remarks about stretched Gazelles.

Comment

• Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                                No it is not mine but belongs to a customer.
                                Yes, but it is good to know you have Gazelles visiting Zomergem and that you are becoming a Gazelle service centre.

Regarding skid fairings, an idea!
                                What is the possibility of making one's own fibreglass mold and then producing them for sale because there are quite a number of ex-military Gazelles without them and some Gaz owners may be interested in getting a set of skid fairings if they were available at a reasonable price.

In the US there are several companies which make 'alternative' spares parts for Bell helicopters so I assume there must be some way for a company to make such accessories. I can't imagine that the testing and certification process for such an item would be 'impossible' - One imagines that the main safety feature an aviation authority will look for is whether the fairing remains attached and does not fly off! Just a thought.

SA342J YU-HEV (cn 1393) at seen at Shoreham Airport on 1st November 2014 (Photo: Martin Stephen)

Comment

• No worries, I have tons of fairings now :-)

Comment

• Bravo XB!

Zis, I don't have too much info on this Gaz except that it is apparently cn 1263. Any clues as to whether she's still flying?

SA341G C-GUSA (This is a Vera Lynn photograph)

Comment

• S/n 1263 is presently N341L (previously N569RD) and is registered to Centerline Holdings of Kent County in Delaware. As you know, there are lots of US Gazelles registered in Delaware! Something to do with the IRS.

When flying as C-GUSA this aircraft had an accident in March 1995 at Moose Lake, Alberta. The pilot reported hearing a loud bang just after liftoff, followed by the sight of flames and smoke near the engine area. He quickly landed and extinguished the flames with a portable extinguisher. The helicopter was heavily damaged, but there were no injuries.

Comment

• Grazie Zis! I don't know where we would be without all your input.

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                        When flying as C-GUSA this aircraft had an accident in March 1995 at Moose Lake, Alberta. The pilot reported hearing a loud bang just after liftoff, followed by the sight of flames and smoke near the engine area. He quickly landed and extinguished the flames with a portable extinguisher. The helicopter was heavily damaged, but there were no injuries.
                                        Okay wow! Let me hope that 'exploding' Astazous are not a common occurrence!

SA341G I-PNIC, Aeroporto di Trento-Mattarello (Gianni Caproni) 21st November 2014 (Photo: Cristian Margo)

Comment

• South African Gaz ..

SA342L ZU-RHH as seen at Grand Central Airport in South Africa on 18th September 2014 (Photo: John Yates)

One sees that this craft is still wearing the Hungarian fin flash. Is this an ex-Crabtree Gazelle?

Comment

• md600driver
                                            md600driver commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Yes, it is sn: 1787. Ex-Syrian Air Force, ex-Israel and ex-HA-LFG. As mentioned in your notes, it's a 342L.

• Sitalat Gazelles Participate in Exercise 'Aozou'

The French army aviation unit (ALAT) has conducted its first exercise with its new digitised helicopter networking system.

Started on 24 November and running until 5 December, Exercise 'Aozou' in eastern France has seen two Système d'Information Tactique ALAT (Sitalat) equipped SA342M1 Gazelle Viviane helicopters working with an SA330 Puma equipped with the upgraded Hélicoptère de Manoeuvre Poste de Commandement (HMPC) Valorisé command and control kit.

The exercise marks a significant move towards a more fully digitised ALAT, with datalinks allowing information to flow in flight between the helicopters and the regimental headquarters. The ALAT has been working for several years on the prototype version of this tactical information system applied to legacy helicopters, with the 3rd Regiment d'Hélicoptères de Combat (RHC) leading the way with its Gazelles.

Gazelle with Sitalat installed

Today 3 RHC has six of these modified Gazelles (with a prototype version of the Sitalat), with two being deployed to the Central Africa Republic (CAR) since May. The Regiment should receive its first production version early next year.

Current plans calls for 81 Gazelle to be upgraded with the Sitalat system: 58 SA342M1 Gazelle Viviane (with day/night anti-tank capability) and 23 SA342Ma Gazelles, which are to be equipped with the M134 minigun. These 81 helicopters are intended to remain in service for a further 20 years, before being fully replaced in the scouting and anti-tank missions by the EC665 Tiger HAD and a future light helicopter.

The Sitalat datalink system is the most prominent part of the upgrading effort that will allow the Gazelle to remain relevant despite the age of the platform. The ALAT is also modernising its helicopter fleet to meet the ICAO standard - with the Gazelle to benefit from this, along with the Pumas and AS532 Cougars.

As a consequence of the legal aspect of coalition led operations, the French Gazelles also received the Système d'Enregistrement en Vol d'Images Référencées (SEVIR) system, providing real-time recording of all firing actions.

Another milestone for the Gazelle concerns the integration of the M134 Gatling machine gun. The integration has been conducted in two variants: a handful of special forces Gazelles will have the Minigun mounted through the rear door, with a gunner. On the other hand, 23 regular force Gazelles will have it mounted alongside the fuselage on a fixed support. Qualification is expected later this year and early 2015 respectively. Meanwhile, validation of a new support system for special forces sharpshooters operating from the Gazelle, called 'Strike', is also expected soon.
                                          http://www.janes.com/article/46451/f...mation-systems

Comment

• If I recall well, the Gazelle was originally designed to be a LOH (Light Observing Helicopter).

However, I suppose this is a long shot but... couple of years ago I noticed this magazine cover and since then I'm trying to find out ID of this Gazelle as well as some other photo of the machine. At the time of the photo, the helicopter belonged to Sunwest Helicopters Ltd.

Comment

• Well at least you know she was with Sunwest in 1996, that makes things considerably easier. But this of course needs input from Canada. Perhaps contact Sunwest owner Brian Sallows because he bought the company in that very same year .. 1996. His email is: sunwestbrian@shawcable.com

French Gaz ..

SA341G(S) F-GEHF as seen at Toussus-le-Noble in north-central France on 3rd June 1998 (Photo: Jon Wickenden)

Comment

• Sav, thanks for the tip, I've tried that way (several times since 2006) but only got "please stop bothering" reply... so I did.

Comment

Working...
                                                X