No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341G I-PNIC as seen departing Aeroporto di Verona-Boscomantico on 17th January 2015 (Photo: Davide Olivati)

Comment

• xbdt
      xbdt commented
      Editing a comment
      Which s/n is this experimental Gazelle?

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to admit that I do not properly understand the allocation of the experimental construction/serial numbers which have been assigned to this and other aircraft, but .. the record states that I-PNIC is 002 and that I-PJGC (which was written off) was 001.

• SA341G N700SH (cn 1154) as seen at Halfpenny Green on 13th March 2014

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      Me and Nige were visiting Halfpenny - taking a look at a Dauphin. I think this was on the ferry flight to Belgium to hand-over to the new owner KURT.

• SA341G(S) YU-HVZ (cn 1295) as seen at Rennes–Saint-Jacques Airport - date unknown (Photo: Maurice)

Comment

• Re I-PNIC s/n

"Special airworthiness certificates may be issued in the experimental category for:
      • Operating amateur-built aircraft: to operate an amateur-built aircraft in which the major portion has been fabricated and assembled by persons for their own recreation or education. ..."
      So the owner marked it as 002 after rebuilding his first (also a home-built) Gazelle I-PJCG #001.

Comment

• ​Speaking of home-built Gazelles, it reminds me of this "Down Under Thunder" a full-scale (although not very accurate!) replica.

Despite its appearance on auction sites, the project apparently remains unsold. Pity because the legendary Blue Thunder could exist again at least as a static display, like the Australian version.

Comment

• A friend of mine served as the chief training captain for the LAPD Air Support Division and I was able to visit him on several occasions during his time there. In fact I flew with him three times, twice on day sorties and once at night. It was a great experience - although (and especially at night) I did ask myself .. "where are we going to land if something fouls up?" .. and which raises the old 'single vs. twin' reliability question! Thankfully, given the number of hours they've flown, they've had remarkably few incidents.

On one occasion when I visited it was just some months after they had concluded the filming of Blue Thunder and there were still a number of mementos around the offices from the film crew as well as various 'gifts' from the film studio. Back then their roof-top pad was a sea a JetRangers .. plus one Huey which they used for SWAT training.

Hooper Heliport in Los Angeles, home to the LAPD's Air Support Division and where much of the movie 'Blue Thunder' was filmed

I-PJCG

There are very few photos of I-PJCG but .. I was able to 'recover' this from an article in an Italian aviation magazine, courtesy of Zishelix!

SA341G I-PJCG cn: 001 as seen in Italy c. 1989

Regarding the serial numbers .. all a bit confusing .. especially when you take into account the fact that the Soko Gazelles also commence with 001, as Steve mentioned the other day.

(Will try and 'recover' another photo of I-PJCG from the same article just as soon as I can clean it up a bit).

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
            ... seen in Italy c. 1989
            The photo was taken back in 1998.

Actually the first Soko's Gazelle was s/n 007 sine the first 6 ones was just re-assembled Aerospatiale machines.

Comment

• Additional Gazelles for Lebanon

Lebanon is to receive a new batch of Gazelle helicopters from 'Airbus'.

Lebanon is set to receive more Gazelles

The procurement of these aircraft will be funded by Saudi Arabia.
              http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...w149/22395597/

Comment

• Crabtree .. ??

Steve, was this a Crabtree Gaz?

SA341G HA-LFT (cn 1413) as seen at Breighton Aerodrome on 22nd September 2013

SA341G HA-LFT (cn 1413) as seen at Breighton Aerodrome on 22nd September 2013 (Photo: Malcolm Clarke)

Originally registered as YU-HBO then became G-BRNH in 1989 and the same year was re-registered as G-UZEL. She also seems to have spent some time in Ireland before going onto the Hungarian register in 2012. Then last year she seems to have gone onto the US register to become N341GL.

She was manufactured in 1978, so I am wondering if she was in Yugo-land from then until being put on the UK register in '89?

Comment

• md600driver
                  md600driver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes she was, in Yugo land with my other 341G, HA-LFM (1301). HA-LFT had varoius other regs then went on to the Hungarian register for Paul. He later sold it to a dealer in Ireland who sold her on to America where she lives now I belive.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Steve, great stuff! So many Crabtree craft to keep track of!

• As G-UZEL s/n 1413 appeared in this music video:

Comment

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and they dubbed it with a Huey sound... fail

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol .. yes, it is so annoying when they do that!

• UK Gaz ..

Unidentified Gazelle 'somewhere' in the UK seen with Beth Meyer and unidentified person in 2014

SA341G(S) N340SM (cn 1509) 'somewhere' in the UK in 2014

Comment

• Black Pete's sister ..

SA342J(S) YU-HPZ (cn 1473) as seen at Edinburgh's Turnhouse Airport in July 2012 (Photo: Martin Third)

Comment

• md600driver
                    md600driver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like Rob Lamplough's Gazelle in the camo colours.

• Q: What happens when you take-off without latching your transmission cowling?

A: See below ..

SA341G N565F (cn 1182) as seen at Deauville Saint-Gatien Airport in Normandie on 30th April 2005 (Photo: Stephane Pichard)

Comment

• We recently mentioned the fact that the Gaz main rotor is notorious for its 'droop', and also how her tail gets dirty right across the fenestron .. and I think this photo captures both of these fairly well:

SA341C G-DFKI (cn WA1216) as seen at Dundee Airport on 24th August 2005 (Photo: Wallace)

Comment

• xbdt
                      xbdt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think this one is not burning JET-A1, but more likely something heavier like diesel or heating oil maybe?

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol, yes maybe. Her tail is certainly VERY black! Out of interest .. how many hours flying does it take before the tail starts to become noticeably blackened with exhuast soot?

• md600driver
                      md600driver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The owner of this helicopter never ever cleaned it!

When it was based in my hanger at Crabtree, I tried cleaning it - but it was too dirty and all the paint had become porous and any dirt showed up straight away.

It has now been resprayed and looks lovely!

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                    Steve - could you say what the artwork/design is on the stabiliser end plate?

I like this handwritten note on the sticker! Steve, was that Girls & Fun part true?

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha ha .. nice one Zis! What a good find! The Russians obviously like the Gaz seeing as they put it on their sticker. Helis, Girls & Fun! Looks like Russia is the place to compete!!

• md600driver
                      md600driver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I could not possibly comment!

I loaded HA-LFQ yesterday into a container, with a tear in my eye, as she is bound for South Africa where it will be based alongside ex HA-LFG.

I did however manage to get the sticker off, and it is now on my toolbox.

Steve

• md600driver
                      md600driver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The handwritten part was actually printed on, and on the Russian helicopters it said something in Russian not English!

• Oh, fresh info indeed... thanks for sharing!

Any chance you know her new ZU-reg?

Comment

• md600driver
                      md600driver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      She will be staying on the HU reg for the time being.

• Steve, sorry about LFQ.

Sometimes people look at us askance when they see that we form emotional attachments to these assemblages of perspex and aluminium, but, for all but the most 'thickly skinned', it is near impossible not to!

The memories of people carried, places visited .. experiences encountered, are all intertwined with the fabric of the craft, which soon takes on a personality of its own. I realise though that some may never appreciate this.

Hopefully she's gone to a good home and the new owner will keep you informed of her 'progress' down south.

Comment

• SA342J(S) F-GIBU (cn 1470) as seen at Val de Loire Airport (in the Loire Valley, central France) on 2nd May 1990 (Photo: Alphajet)

Comment

• Here is some footage of a crash involving a Serbian HO-42 (SA.341H) Gazelle which occurred on December 30th, 2003.

The helicopter was part of a New Year's celebration progam. All 4 escaped with just minor injuries. Beside the pilot and a co-pilot, there was a "Santa Claus“ and a child onboard delivering sweets to a couple of hundred children who were waiting inn a square just a few hundred meters away from the crash site. Thank God, they were not hurt.

The cause of crash – the helicopter hit a cable between the buildings!

Comment

• Nothing to say, just marking my 300th post here

Comment

• Bravo on your 300th post Zis!

The Gaz crash is an astonishing video. Very glad that no one was seriously injured - amazing really.

It does throw up some obvious questions though, including .. did the driver perform any sort of pre-landing reconnaissance of the landing site and approach area?

A useful document for teaching students about such things can be found here.

Comment

• SA341G HB-ZEU (cn 1111) as seen at Samedan Airport (St. Moritz) on 9th January 2005 (Photo: Marco Pianca)

You've got to love the construction number of this craft! Still no news as to what has actually happened to her?

Comment

• Army Air Corps SA341B Westland Gazelle XX386 (cn WA1284) being refueled at an undisclosed location. Date unknown

Army Air Corps SA341B Westland Gazelle XX386 (cn WA1284) as seen in Luxembourg on 18th March 2005 (Photo: Emmanuel Perez)

I am sure those sheepskin seat covers are most comfortable!

I 'think' that this aircraft has been withdrawn from use, for sale when the MoD auction off the last of their remaining Gazelles.

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Ex-Marine cab? Note the SAS.
                                  UK Army didn't have any SAS on theirs, but when the inherited the Marine cabs they got some which were fitted with SAS.

• Gary Gazelle
                                  Gary Gazelle commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  12Flt (Bruggen) ac, so pre Apr 2009. Looks like one of the US airbases in Germany? it was one of the 30 sold to Withams.

• Girl in Gaz (with more sheepskin seat covers) - no further details

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The sheepskin covers stop you sweating. Its a military thing. All Army ones use them.

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Also quite popular on airline crew seats, and very comfy!

• Some of the Gazelles at Crabtree Farm

Comment

• Steve, lovely to see the Crabtree Gazelles!

Originally posted by md600driver View Post
                                Ex-Marine cab? Note the SAS.
                                This could get confusing, didn't the SAS use Army cabs - as in 8 Flight!

From what I've been able to find, XX386 seems to have spent her life with 12 Flight Army Air Corps. Another photo (below) states that the craft was demobilised from Germany on 17th March 2009 and was among the Gazelles auctioned off which, if so, begs the question to where was cn WA1284 sold or, perhaps. she has yet to be sold, as I understand from your past comments that there are still come cabs at Shawbury.

Army Air Corps SA341B Westland Gazelle XX386 (cn WA1284) as seen at RAF Shawbury in 2009

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Sorry, was referring to the SAS [Stability Augmentation System] not the Hereford cowboys, but yes they did use Army cabs. However, the Army didn't get any SAS fitted on their cabs although the Navy, RAF and Marines did.
                                  There are still some cabs in store at RAF Stawberry!

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Lol, yes, I was just kidding about 8 Flight!
                                  XX386 seems difficult to trace though. Some records say she was among the cabs which were auctioned, but then there's no record of her (that I can find) after 2009.

• Gary Gazelle
                                  Gary Gazelle commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  we had SAS on the Army ac in Yeovil (3BAS/847NAS) and 2 Flt at Netheravon - last to have them was 12Flt in Bruggen.
                                  XX386 was amongst the ac that went to Withams

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post
                                Some of the Gazelles at Crabtree Farm
                                And a very nice toy box it is too!

I'm interested to know how much time (and how many hands) it takes to fold/unfold the main rotor blades?

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  It takes 2 about 10 mins.

• Gary Gazelle
                                  Gary Gazelle commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  sub 60 seconds with 4 people on the back of a ship

• Oh, so it's not too complicated to "put the bird in the bed" this way. Very handy!

G-ZZLE/XX436 WA1402 of The Gazelle Squadron Display Team over Kemble in May 2014. (Photo: Tom Houquet)

Re Sav's question about XX386 - it ended up with MW Helicopters back in 2012.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Grazie Zis! Just got a message from Steve saying the same thing, and that she may be heading out of Europe soon!

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Re Sav's question about XX386 - it ended up with MW Helicopters back in 2012.

are you sure? it was one of the 30 that got sold to paramount and they are stored in a seperate hanger [not anything to do with MW] at stapleford mw has over hauled 4 of these for the owners ,but AFAIK they dont own any- more so 386

• A Crabtree Gazelle from the Helipix Collection:

SA342 Gazelle HA-LFH

Comment

• Welcome back Helipixman! Nice one, keep them coming.

Comment

Working...
                                  X