Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post
    Just being picky, but HA-LFH is a 342'J' and not an 'L'.
    It's J indeed

Jos, thanks for info regarding HB-ZEU's present ownership status!

Comment

• Si, grazie Jos! I wonder if Herr Graf is using this craft as a static display given that she appears to be flying no longer?

Steve many thanks for the clarification. We want to get it right so such details are important! I guess I was confusing the craft with your ex-mil 342's. I see though that LFH is a 'late' serial no. and I am guessing therefore that she must have been among one of the last batches of civilian Gazelles to be built? I see too that was previously on the Philippine register. Do you suppose that she was delivered new to the Philippines from Aérospatiale?

L'armée de Terre SA342M 'GBG' as seen at Aerodrome D'Albertville, Rhone-Alpes on 21st June 2015 (Photo: Sébastien Locatelli)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
        Si, grazie Jos! I wonder if Herr Graf is using this craft as a static display given that she appears to be flying no longer?
        I was speaking with Ulrich Grafs engineer today, he said they would be looking to refurbish HB-ZEU after the Alouette is done.

If not then hopefully she will end up at Crabtree!
        Last edited by md600driver; 2nd July 2015, 07:00.

Comment

• While checking some ex-UK military Gazelle whereabouts I noticed on a website that 5 military Gazelles are rumoured to have gone to H.J. Hirst & Sons Ltd, St Mary Bourne, which is just east of Bourne Park (Gazelle Squadron).

The five machines in question are quoted as XW893, XX388, XX393, XX413 and XX450. (all ex Robs Lamplough (Aerocars) I thought).

What is disturbing is they also state they are for SCRAPPING?

Checking for a website for Hirst shows they are scrap merchants, but also deal in Army & Navy surplus?

Anyone know anything about these, and if its true, surely they can be saved from scrap.

Helipixman

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
            While checking some ex-UK military Gazelle whereabouts I noticed on a website that 5 military Gazelles are rumoured to have gone to H.J. Hirst & Sons Ltd, St Mary Bourne, which is just east of Bourne Park (Gazelle Squadron).

The five machines in question are quoted as XW893, XX388, XX393, XX413 and XX450. (all ex Robs Lamplough (Aerocars) I thought).

What is disturbing is they also state they are for SCRAPPING?

Checking for a website for Hirst shows they are scrap merchants, but also deal in Army & Navy surplus?

Anyone know anything about these, and if its true, surely they can be saved from scrap.

Helipixman
            These aircraft were sold with the proviso that they would be reduced to parts.

Steve

Comment

• Steve Hamilton's N342J sitting in the bush near Reno, Nevada, on June 28th, 2015.

Photo: Courtesy of the proud owner of the machine.

Comment

• Steve: This is good news. Hopefully she will make it into the Crabtree stable! Is she a relatively low time Gaz?

Btw, HB-ZEU sports one of my preferred colour schemes for the Gaz .. only that you need a 'hangar boy' to maintain the white ring surrounding the fenestron in a state of constant cleanliness!

Also, you mentioned an Alouette. Do you know if it is a II or a III, and do you also know the registration?

Elipix: Nice avatar! I see you've gone for the 'Gaz' look!

Army Air Corps SA341B ZB668 as seen at the UNFICYP DANCON base in Cyprus, Kokina Camp, in 1990 (All photos by Jens Voigt)

This Gaz was damaged during a forced landing in the Troodos Mountains in Cyprus, after suffering a bearing failure in the clutch and freewheel device. It was then sent to the Fleetlands store, pending a decision on a rebuild, and was later rebuilt and allocated to the School of Electronic and Aeronautical Engineering (SEAE) at Arborfield in June 1996, where it became TAD015.

Comment

• Nice one Sav!

Some time ago I came across this small and blur image of that UNFICYP AH.1 but I didn't know her ID:

However, this is how she looked in 2010 at Arborfield (Photo: Phil Adkin)

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                    Gary Gazelle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have XZ323, ZB667, 679 & 690 in 16Flt (Dhekelia) until it shut in 2003 but I think the 4 x UN flight (Nicosia) ac rotated through from UK/BAOR units?

• Two more photos of Steve Hamilton's N342J taken in the same time & place as posted previously in #1176:

Let's hope he'll bring a bigger camera next time!

Comment

• Two new additions to South Africa's Gazelle population:
                    • ZU-HGZ 1728 Gazelle HT MK3, c/n 1728 (ex N931XZ, XZ931); Saphire Blue Trading (PTY) LTD; 29-Jun-2015
                    • ZU-RZR 1854 SA342L Gazelle, c/n 1854 (ex HA-LFQ, 241); Sheziphase (PTY) LTD ; 08-Jun-2015
                    Cheers,
                    Jos.

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Jos! Seems as if South Africa's "flock" of Gazelles has grown rapidly in recent years!

By the way, can anyone explain the purpose of the metal strip riveted to one side of the exhaust below?

Comment

• Yes, Grazie Jos for the Gaz updates.

Zis, nice shots of N432J, such a great reg.

SA341 (cn 1001) F-WTNA as seen 'somewhere' in France in the 1970's

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post

Two new additions to South Africa's Gazelle population:
                          • ZU-HGZ 1728 Gazelle HT MK3, c/n 1728 (ex N931XZ, XZ931); Saphire Blue Trading (PTY) LTD; 29-Jun-2015
                          • ZU-RZR 1854 SA342L Gazelle, c/n 1854 (ex HA-LFQ, 241); Sheziphase (PTY) LTD ; 08-Jun-2015
                          Cheers,
                          Jos.
                          There will be another 341G Gazelle leaving the UK in the next two weeks for Sheziphase.
                          Last edited by md600driver; 3rd July 2015, 18:23.

Comment

• SA341C G-OJCO (cn 1081) as seen at Norwich International Airport on 28th June 2015 (Photo: Bradley)

Most likely in company with HA-LFH either on the way to .. or returning from ... Benegaz 2015.

Comment

Most likely in company with HA-LFH either on the way to .. or returning from ... Benegaz 2015.
                              We were returning, for we had passed via a friend on the way out.

Comment

• Grazie Steve!

XB/Steve please take note for when you record your next video.

Comment

• South African Gazelles

As well as the two new registrations of ZU-HGZ and ZU-RZR, I notice a couple have been registered to new owners....

ZU-RLD to Die Louis Claassen Familie Trust, 23.4.15
                                  ZU-RLE to Leithcon Earthmoving CC, 19.5.15

I also note that the SAN Parks Gazelle G-CHMF (c/n WA.1999) was cancelled to South Africa on 8.4.14 but has so far not shown up on that register?

So that makes the South African population... ZU-HBH, ZU-HGZ, ZU-HHP, ZU-RHH (still officially registered), ZU-RIH, ZU-RLD, ZU-RLE, ZU-RLH, ZU-RNE, ZU-RZR plus G-CHLW, G-CHMF.

Comment

• FYI: ZU-RHH is going to be rebuilt as they now have a replacement cabin.

Comment

• So are we saying there are now 14 Gazelles in South Africa?

I know there used to be a handful running around on the Swazi reg (3D) within South Africa, but I believe most of these are now on the ZU register.

Seeing as we recently discussed stretched 342's, as well as craft on the HB reg ..

Air Zermatt's SA342J(S) HB-XMU (cn 1470) as seen at Sion Airport, Switzerland in 1986 (Photo by Guido Bühlmann)

Now flying as N342WF in the US, registered to Walton Lynn.

Comment

Seeing as we recently discussed stretched 342's, as well as craft on the HB reg ..

Now flying as N342WF in the US, registered to Walton Lynn.
                                        I remember doing a survey on this cab for Waltons, and then packing it into a container to send Stateside. She was painted black at that time, and on the French register. A nice pretty stretched 342J Gazelle.

Comment

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post

I remember doing a survey on this cab for Waltons, and then packing it into a container to send Stateside. She was painted black at that time, and on the French register. A nice pretty stretched 342J Gazelle.
                                          Ah Stephen .. is seems as if no Gazelle has escaped the attentions of the Crabtree stable!

I am still waiting (one day) to hear just what it was that 'bit' you about the Gaz. From what I've heard you went from an Enstrom to an MD600 (you need to get a more Gazelle-sounding username btw ) to the Gaz.

It can't have been the craft's operating cost, so I'm imagining it must be her handling qualities and perhaps the sound of the Astazou! Either way, its all great stuff!

SA342J(S) F-GIBU (cn 1470) as seen at Toussus Le Noble (Photo by Frank Cohen)

See more F-GIBU on page 28

Comment

• Sav

I've actually had the following rotorcraft:

Enstrom F-28A, F-28C, 280FX, 480, 480B, MD600, Gazelle x (I've lost count!), Hiller 12C, Alouette II and III.

The Gazelle is simply pure fun to fly, and also has great speed - and both of these I appreciate.

I'm off Stateside in a couple of weeks to collect the latest addition to the Crabtree stable.

Comment

• F-GIBU

Steve mentioned that F-GIBU was black when it was shipped to the USA? Was it repainted or was it a scheme that changes colour in the sun ? see photo below!

Photo Helipixman collection (by GL)

Also F-GIBU was actually cancelled from the French register and became G-IBME 4.3.11 to 20.2.14 before becoming N342WF. So if it was exported still as F-GIBU I assume it did not use its marks of G-IBME ? Unless Steve knows different ?

Of note is that both registrations reflect the previous owner's initials - George Inglis Begg.

Comment

• Steve grazie, much appreciated!

Aviafora and its little band of readers are very happy to be able to receive up-to-date news relating to the Crabtree Gazelles (thanks) so, whenever the time is right to divulge the details of your latest purchase, please let us know.

XB: Among the helicopters you have flown would you also say that the Gaz is one of the most enjoyable to fly? If so, do you put this down to the rotor system?

Elipix: In the shot I posted of F-GIBU (and in the linked photo on page 28) she looks black but agreed .. in your shot she's looking distinctly 'VOIP-ish' - she must have had a re-spray at some point but .. much would depend on the date of your photo I suppose.

Comment

• More Stretched Gaz ..

SA341G(S) G-EHUP (cn 1407) as seen at Abingdon Aerodrome in 2011

Previously F-GIJR, now flying as YU-HWF, and seen here with a delightful Scout in the background!

Comment

• Some nice shots of the Kurtcraft (N700SH) on an outing on 4th July 2015 (awaiting confirmation of the date).

All photos by Tom Buysse:

Kurt, can you please confirm these photos were taken on 4th July, and also, can you say over which part of Belgium you were flying.

Grazie.

Comment

• Steve, well done on all those helicopters!

Helipixman, congrats on your avatar.

Great shots of F-WTNA, G-OJCO, HB-XMU and the Kurtcraft.

XB do you have any idea what that strip of metal might be on the exhaust in post #1182?

GazScout

Unnatural matrimony of a Gazelle cabin and Scout's tail boom at Mayham Paintball in Abridge, Essex.

(Photo: Ian Haskell 2011)

The last role in life of once to be G-TURP (c/n 1455)

The cabin itself spent some time at Redhill after the accident G-TURP had in September 1991.

(Photo: Jon Wickenden, April 1997)

But let us remember this nice stretched machine from the time she was just a new Gazelle in UK Register (G-BKLS)

(Unfortunately, no details about this b/w image so any help much appreciated!)

Comment

• G-TURP

So if I am correct thats G-TURP at Mayhem Paintball in Essex ?

This begs the question did it ever go to the Gatwick Aviation Museum, Charlwood (Peter Vallance Collection) ? I ask this because after the sad loss of Mr Vallance, some airframes were to be sold off and I emailed asking about the Gazelle. They said they never had the Gazelle there ?

Anyway here is a photo of this Gazelle as G-BKLS:

Helipixman Collection (photographer unknown)

Comment

• Zis/Elipix: You've struck upon some nice Gazelle nostalgia this afternoon!

However, using a Gaz airframe as a paintball park accessory seems a bit of a waste, given that you can give a local welder a few hundred Euros and he will knock up something just as suitable!

Zis, I'm going to take a 'stab in the dark' and say that the black and white photo of G-BKLS 'may' have been taken at Weston Industrial Estate where Helicopter Services were based. This would place the photo in the mid-to-late 80's.

Ah Elipix, what am I going to do with you??? You've done it again! You've managed to find an otherwise impossible-to-find photo! You know what you've got there? This is G-BKLS still wearing her Mack Truck Corporation paint .. I can't believe it! I've been searching for evidence of the Mack Truck copters (aka Bulldog Airlines) for such along time, and have found almost nothing.

Just recently we have been blessed with the company of Ahh de Havilland on Aviafora, who signed-up and posted a rare photo of the Pork Farms JetRanger G-BALC on the New Nostalgia Thread, but here's something he wrote on the old thread:

Originally posted by Ahh de Havilland

Mack Trucks established its flight department in 1965, soon after the appointment of Zenon C.R. Hansen (a proponent of business aviation) as company President. The flight department was colloquially known as "Bulldog Airlines" (so named after the company's logo) and with each aircraft given a “Mack number” signifying its sequence in the fleet.

Most of the Bulldog Airlines fleet was fixed wing and included 2 Beech 18's, an HS125, a Volpar Turboliner, 2 Learjets, a Falcon 20, a Navajo Chieftan, and a Merlin).

The rotary-wing fleet is a little harder to identify and is derived from the registrations which were known to be used by Mack. Initially they employed registrations N10-1B with the third digit (-) representing the fleet no, then later N--MT with the middle digits (--) being the fleet number.

Mack were known to have the following helicopters: A JetRanger N14MT, two Bell 212's both using N12MT, an FH-1100 N10MT, a Gazelle also using N14MT (which later became G-BKLS/G-TURP), and an S-76 again using N12MT.

Mack Truck Corporation's Bell 212 N12MT (flying as Mack XII) as seen at New York's East 60th St. Heliport in the 1980's
                                                          (Photo: Gerard McNulty)

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                                                            So if I am correct that's G-TURP at Mayhem Paintball in Essex ?
                                                            If you look closer there's still Lenval Essex Ltd. logo on the tank service access door... beside shadow of stripped paintwork and caracteristic stretched cabin.

By the way, nice G-BKLS photo!

Sav, thanks, in that case maybe I'm wrong about the registration she had at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X