No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded instrument panel of Montenegrin HO-42 12657 (c/n 025). Photo taken at Podgorica AB in September 9th, 2010 by Joop de Groot.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice shot there Zis.

• France Considers Accelerating Light Helicopter Acquisition

France will decide next year whether to advance the timeline for a wide-ranging procurement that seeks to replace hundreds of light and medium helicopters operated by all three branches of its armed forces.

Under the nascent hélicoptère interarmées léger (HIL) programme, Paris intends to begin the acquisition process in 2020.

However, with a number of aged types rapidly reaching the end of their operational lives – notably its navy’s 22 Aérospatiale Alouette III's – the DGA procurement agency is studying whether it needs to accelerate the replacement effort.

The DGA says: “The timeline is still under study and will depend on choices that remain to be made. Possible solutions are being assessed; the feasibility to accelerate the program will be studied by 2017.”

But HIL seems a daunting undertaking. France is seeking to replace a broad range of helicopters across different weight classes running up to around 7t, and performing a variety of missions. These include the air force’s Airbus Helicopters AS555 Fennec light attack rotorcraft and SA330 Pumas; the Puma transports and SA341/342 Gazelles used in the reconnaissance and light attack role by the army, plus its Fennec trainers; and the navy’s multirole AS365 Dauphin and AS565 Panthers, as well as the Alouette IIIs.

The French Army is considering the replacement of its Gazelle helicopters

If Paris replaces its inventory on a like-for-like basis, some 422 new helicopters could be required, based on data in Flightglobal's Fleets Analyzer database. However its eventual acquisition is likely to be well below this figure.

Key to its deliberations will be whether it attempts to acquire single or multiple platforms for the wide-ranging requirement. “Several options are being studied – a single or several platforms to match the whole spectrum of missions,” says the DGA.

“The choice, which has not been made yet, will have to optimise requirements, calendar and resources.”

If it chooses to increase the pace of procurement, new helicopters could begin to arrive in the early 2020s, indicate army sources.

Speaking at a recent conference, Maj Gen Olivier de la Motte, commander of French army aviation, said although its need is less urgent – its Gazelle fleet is scheduled for retirement in 2028 – given the attrition from operations, notably in Mali, “it could be interesting to have a new helicopter in 2022”.
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-acqui-421307/

Sav's Note: Could we see a 'glut of Gazelles' five years from now?

Zis/Jos - Do either of you have any idea as to the total number of Gazelles operated by l'armée de Terre?

Gaz Roundup
    • Are you interested in a Gazelle Engineer's Training Manual? If so contact Avia member Steve.
    • Would you like the combined Aérospatiale/Soko production list for the Gazelle, showing the registration record of each aircraft? For a free copy contact Avia member Jos.
    • There is a current vacancy for a Gazelle engineer in the UK. This position seems to have been additionally advertised (yesterday) with Lodahl and now indicates that the job will involve traveling to service Gazelles in the UK, Ireland and Canada, see here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      Zis/Jos - Do either of you have any idea as to the total number of Gazelles operated by l'armée de Terre?

My database shows a total of 363 Gazelles having seen active French military service (171 SA341F, 162 SA342M, 30 SA342L1). Of these 231 still seem to be actively used (62 SA341F, 140 SA342M, 29 SA342L1).

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie mille Jos, you're a star! Wow, 200+ ships, that's a lot of Gazelles!

I think (as Zis has mentioned before) France will try and sell as many of these as they can to developing nation defence forces but, I am sure that a fair number will make it onto the civilian market.

Let's hope that Turbomeca's commitment to the Astazou holds up.

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        With a couple of machines more or less in each group but that's it, according my database as well
        Well done Jos!

• Flying ex-ALAT Gaz 'GHL' Stateside

Is this the same gentleman who previously had custody of 901?

Also, the filter around the engine air intake on this craft, its different to the semi-circular sand filters used on l'armée de Terre Gazelles when operating in Mali for instance, and it isn't a muffler. Can anyone provide a little more information about this particular filter please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
        Is this the same gentleman who previously had custody of 901?

Also, the filter around the engine air intake on this craft, its different to the semi-circular sand filters used on l'armée de Terre Gazelles when operating in Mali for instance, and it isn't a muffler. Can anyone provide a little more information about this particular filter please.
        That's Jeffrey's Gazelle, last name escapes me. He told me that it's a modified off-the-shelf diesel truck air intake filter, also that he suffers no power loss or temp rise. As it's registered as experimental in the U.S. you can get away with such stuff. I'll get more info next time I see him.

Here is a closeup picture of the filter:

Comment

• md600driver
          md600driver commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure if I would be happy flying this one. If that filter gets clogged the engine will stop!

The standard Gazelle sand/particle separator is much safer as it does not filter the air.

• Quickstop,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your comments on GHL's unique air filter, very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Comment

• Quickstop,

With the Filter how do you ensure that you don't blind / block the filter?
          How quickly does the flow diminish once the pleats start to fill with dust / dirt?
          It looks like a Paper Element, what happens when it rains?

Thanks

Nigel

Comment

• Originally posted by Nigel F View Post
            Quickstop,

With the Filter how do you ensure that you don't blind / block the filter?
            How quickly does the flow diminish once the pleats start to fill with dust / dirt?
            It looks like a Paper Element, what happens when it rains?

Thanks

Nigel
            All very good questions, I'll ask the owner next time I see him.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Please also feel free to invite the owner to join Shrieking Gazelles!

I'd love to find out more regarding effectiveness of that improvised air intake filter.

• Dear Quickstop

A warm welcome to Aviafora!

I see you joined in 2014, but we celebrate your first post with us and are most glad to have the participation of 'Gazellers' from America.

You can imagine my surprise after proffering my query in relation to the Gaz Video above, to discover that a member of Aviafora knows the craft in question! Great stuff! Thank you too for the information about this aircraft's air intake. I had a good chuckle when I read your comments, imagining the 'home made' nature of this device. I have to say that it seems to fit quite neatly in front of the engine area, although I think it may have looked a little better if the white strips around the outside of the filter had been painted in black.

Some of our experienced Gazellers are making some valid points regarding the safety and efficiency of this modification though, so it would be good to learn a little more about it.

Please keep us informed of anything that's happening Stateside.

With regards and, once again, welcome aboard.

Sav

Comment

• C'est pas sorcier (an interesting magazine) also covered 'the helicopter' :-)

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice one XB!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
              Quickstop,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your comments on GHL's unique air filter, very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more from you!
              I do know that filters for helicopters are replacing particle seperators, known as inlet barrier filters, they have many advantages over particle seperators, but what they do have is an alternate air inlet door if the filter becomes clogged. Does this gazelle have one... I don't believe so, but is is in a spot where it's very easy to inspect. I know he lands off airport frequently, so I'll make sure to ask the owner when next I see him.

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                It would be very kind of you, thanks in advance !

• Seeing as we're having a run on l'armée de Terre ships ..

SA341F2 ZU-HHP (cn 1597) ex-ADT 'GHP' as seen at Swartkops Aerodrome in South Africa on 8th February 2014
              (Photo: Malcolm Reid)

So very helpful when they paint the construction number on the nose!

Plus a little something to brighten up your Monday.

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, is this a 'fen stall' phenomena illustration?

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Could be, or perhaps a new tail known as the 'henstron'!

• SA341B ZA731 (cn 1800) as seen in Canmore, Alberta, Canada in December 2015 (Photo: Chris)

Part of the AAC's 29 BATUS Flight.

Comment

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice squadron badge!

• I just heard that Turbomeca is no longer supporting the Astazou IIIA engine in the civil model Gazelle. Can anyone verify this or let me know if it's incorrect.....thanks.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh boy, what a 'killer' if that's true. Please can someone verify !!!

• Vulcan from a Gaz

But who's Gaz?

Comment

• Nigel F
                  Nigel F commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its not an ex mill Gazelle

• Gazelle Depth Support Hub (GDSH)

Until the 1st April 2006, Gazelle depth support had been carried out at Middle Wallop, Wattisham, Fleetlands, Netheravon, RAF Leuchars, Bruggen, RAF Shawbury and BATUS in Canada. This was carried out by a mix of people including soldiers, civil servants, Serco, FBHeliservices and Vosper Thornycroft. As military cutbacks were approach, the decision was taken to combine all these units to one location. The location chosen was AAC Middle Wallop and also supported the Lynx to make maintenance more efficient. The MoD contracted FBHeliservices to carry out the maintenance with around 60 personel on the task. The plan was to reduce the time taken to conduct major servicing by 22% and minor servicing by 50%. GDSH aspired to increase productivity by 33% and aimed to release an aircraft from GDSH fit to fly, every 11 days.

I hope the plan was a success and GDSH spered some money for MoD

BATUS Flight's ZB671 arriving at Middle Wallop for a maintenance works (Photo: Rick Ingham)

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting info Zis.

• G-VOIP & G-ZZLE

These craft (both ex-military) changed registered owners in January.

G-VOIP is now registered to Edward Coventry (Who I seem to recall Elipix mentioning at some point in the past).

While G-ZZLE is now registered between three parties, namely Paul Whitaker, Sandra Qardan and Andrew Moorhouse.

A note to 'Shrieking Gazelles' readers - Please help us to keep 'Gaz News' up-to-date by sharing any Gaz news you may have or may know about. Simply pop a post on the thread or, if you prefer, email the news and we shall post it for you, either on your behalf or anonymously, whichever you prefer. Email: aviafora1@gmail.com

Grazie!

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sav, thanks for info regarding G-VOIP & ZZLE ownership.

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Eddie Coventry also had G-DFKI for a short while registered to him 23.3.15 but its currently noted as Potential Change of owner, so looks like he has gone for a newer airframe in G-VOIP. Anyone know who has purchased DFKI ?
                  Mr Coventry is not new to the heli world having had Enstrom and Squirrel helis in the past.

• WA341D G-ONNE (s/n 1089) at Duxford Airport in September 29th, 2012 (Photo: Eric Fishwick)

This aircraft was also mentioned here. Anybody able to shed some light on her present status?

Comment

• Fuselage pod of the formerly Blue Eagles display team aircraft ZB686 (s/n 1998) relegated to being part of the Army Air Corps publicity and recruitment programme. Seen at Farnborough in July 22nd, 2006 as part of the Blue Eagles travelling display. (Photo Howard J Curtis)

I'd like to find out when and why this WA341B was w/o.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                  Fuselage pod of the formerly Blue Eagles display team aircraft ZB686 (s/n 1998) relegated to being part of the Army Air Corps publicity and recruitment programme. Seen at Farnborough in July 22nd, 2006 as part of the Blue Eagles travelling display. (Photo Howard J Curtis)

I'd like to find out when and why this WA341B was w/o.
                  ZB686 is c/n 1995, preserved at the International Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare.

I think you mean ZB687, c/n 1998, w/o after being hit by small arms fire while on border patrol in Northern Ireland on 11-Feb-1990. See accident details here.

Comment

• Rotorspot
                    Rotorspot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You must be joking, Zis. Lol.

I repeat: ZB686 was #1995, ZB687 was #1998.

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh well, maybe it's time for me to start with some anti-dementia treatment

• Gary Gazelle
                    Gary Gazelle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have this as ZB686 - I walked past it last week, so will go back and check sometime. I don't have a record of a Gazelle in WSM and recall them asking us for one when we had loads in storage? Will have to pop down there and check

• Royal Navy SA341C XW890 CU-53 (cn 1161) as seen c. 1977

Attached to 705 Squadron and flying at the time of this photo with the Sharks display team. Not entirely sure of the location, so anyone with any ideas, please pipe up.

See more XW890 here.

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                    Gary Gazelle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would hazard a guess that it's RNAS Culdrose (hence the CU tail markings), which is where the Sharks were based.

• Diving on the Gazelle wreck

Comment

• ZU-RLD 'Rear View'

SA341F2 ZU-RLD (cn 1659) as seen at Wonderboom Airport, South Africa, in 2015

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This bird looks very nice in her civilian livery

• Gazelles from Niger, 5U-MHG and 5U-MHE

Anybody knows MHE's s/n?

Comment

• Nice one Zis, so rare to see these Niger cabs.

This must be the hangar DefenceWeb wrote about, and which means the photo was most likely taken at 'Base Aérienne 101' in Niamey, also the site of Diori Hamani International Airport.

Here's my only shot of MHE:

Niger Air Force SA342 5U-MHE

Unfortunately I don't know the craft's construction number.

She's obviously an ex-l'armée de Terre bird but .. which one?

Jos, any ideas?

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just guessing, if 5U-MHG had last marking in ALAT 3547/GJG, MHF was 3531/GJF then MHE could be s/n 1546 since she was 3546/GJE.

• Rotorspot
                        Rotorspot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice and interesting thought, Zis. I am not that much into those military codes, but I do know that they have been changed several times. I have found c/n 1546 as 3546/GJF and c/n 1531 as ALAT 3531/GJE.
                        I also have heard that Niger may have upto 6 former French Gazelles by now.

For those of you that are interested in details: there are 15 pages full of close-up pictures for ALAT 3547 at
                        http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/pi.../sa-342m_3547/

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You're right, 3546 had GJF code (I misread out of the pic) and 3531 was GJE. Looks like last letters on present 5U-regs of these two machines doesn't reflect their last code letters they have had in ALAT (i.e. 5U-MHG 3547/GJG). However, it's highly like s/n 1546 is in Niger now.

By the way, it's quite a challenge to track down French military Gazelles by the code because some of them getting new „registration“ almost every year. So if the number on its nose isn't clearly visible, it's hard to be sure about the helicopter's ID.

• Another classic interior!

Sadly, no info regarding the Gazelle's ID.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha ha, a classic interior indeed! Almost as 'classic' as 901's before Steve had her revamped!

• New Gazelle on UK Register

This is to advise that a 'new' Gazelle was entered onto the UK register yesterday.

This is an ex-Army SA341B AH.1, formerly XW909, c/n 1227, which was based for several years at Army Air Corps Dishforth. Records indicate that this aircraft was sent to Shawbury in 2008 to be used for spares.

The aircraft was registered as G-HSDL on 10th Feb 2016 to MW HELICOPTERS LTD. of Stapleford Aerodrome.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done Jos, grazie!

GazEn: Can you tell us whether this will be used for spares or if this a project to return to flight?

• GazEngineer
                        GazEngineer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        She will be returning to flight currently she is away receiving a new coat of paint ready to come back to us to be put back together and a re trim in the cockpit

• BAG's of another kind ..

No details on this cab unfortunately, despite the obvious, that she is another kind of BAG .. (British Army Gazelle).

All attempts at enlarging and enhancing this photo failed to yield an ID but, at least we've secured another shot for the BAG file!

Comment

• CompuGaz!

Computer generated Gaz.

Comment

Working...
                        X