No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341G(S) N150SF (cn 1584) as seen at Cheltenham Racecourse on 17th March 2016 (Photo: Tony Jarvis)

SA341B G-CDNO (cn 1385) as seen at Swansea Airport in Wales on 29th May 2016 (Photo: Derek Flewin) Ex-XX432

Also .. see ZB691 touch down at the Helicopter Museum on Friday.

Elsewhere on Aviafora: See Ukraine's V-52 project here.

Plus .. Sav's 'mini-rant'

Share the link to Storm Clouds with friends and family and help others discover why it is sensible to be skeptical about continued integration with the EU. If the UK withdraws from the EU it will strengthen the case for other European nations to pursue their fight for a referendum. Many in northtern Italy want out but, unlike the Brits, we don't have the privilege of a referendum .. yet!

To the naysayers and Europhiles among our readers, for the record I am not anti immigration, I am anti 'mass uncontrolled' immigration. Controlled legal immigration and responses which are measured according to a nation's willingness and ability to assist in the event of crisis are both normal and acceptable in my view. However, long before immigration became an issue the EU (or EEC as it was then) was a blight upon both small and medium sized businesses (which in Italy are the backbone of our local economies). This remains the case, more so than ever, with small and medium sized businesses having suffered extensively under the 'reign' of the EU. The EU agenda (in addition to the thousands of corrosive and debilitating pieces of legislation they churn out each month) is depriving Europeans of every vestige of personal freedom, whether it be religious, political or economic. Doubtful? Well, just wait a while longer, as the damaging consequences of this bureaucratic monstrosity are becoming increasingly clear with each passing year.

Finally, for Britain to exit the EU will require nothing short of a miracle, for it is evident that the British PM and the UK's political class are hell-bent on forcing (if possible) the remain agenda. Nevertheless if you research the longterm implications of a bureaucracy such as the EU when applied to such a diversity of nations in the manner conducted so far, it is obvious that the end result is anything but positive. History contains numerous examples of such 'systems' of governance - all of which have utterly failed!

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Matthew 6:34

Let's use this thread as kind of escapism

• Another take on G-CDNO ..

SA341B G-CDNO (cn 1385) as seen at Swansea Airport in Wales on 29th May 2016 (Photo: Alun Jones)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      An eye-catching c/s

• An old photo of F-WTNV probably taken during one of her many promo flights back in 1970s

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely to see these shots from the 70's.

• Another 'blast from the past' ..

SA341 (cn 1001) F-WIEP c.1972

This craft was (to the best of my knowledge) the first production Gazelle and went on to become F-WTNA which has featured at various times throughout this thread. Sadly, and as can be seen, this photo has had the edges cropped - its enough to make you wiep!

Army Gaz

SA341B XZ318-R (cn WA1609) as seen at Oxford Kidlington on 13th July 1991

YU-HES

SA342J YU-HES (cn 1057) as seen at Bourne Park on 24th May 2016 (Photo: Andrew Morley)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like XZ318 is going to get her Desert Storm livery.

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Jos' list indicates that she may have been written-off but, as yet, I haven't found the accident details.

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      She survived Gulf War but 'killed' in Bosnia several years later when technicians tried to remove the ice (after a snow storm) with a nylon mallets. Suffered Cat.4 damage and w/o 1997. Scrapped cabin section at Tong Paintball Site, Shropshire since March 2008.

• HA-LFK

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Niiice video!

• Please if any of you guys know what do the letters "IAT" stand for?

Aerospatiale's test pilot Jean Boulet with N62406 at Alaska during cold weather trials in February 1975.

Comment

• *** ADVANCE NOTICE ***

Sav will be ranting about the EU and Brexit during the month June! (Sorry, can't be helped!).

THIS VIDEO posted today nicely addresses many of the issues I have been highlighting over the years. If you can invest the time to watch this, then it comes with my recommendation (hence the post).

More truth at Storm Clouds!

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, some folks can afford to say f*** off EU (excuse my French )

However, let's try not to infect this thread with too much politics, OK? I wouldn't like to lose this virtual resort when trying to flee from reality

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't make any promises as the issue is one of great significance and far outweighs any hobbies I may have. Britain has the 'chance of a lifetime' to unshackle themselves from the demonic EU which, if they succeed, could make it easier for several other European nations to push for their own referendum. This could affect many millions for many years.

However, I've noted your request and will do my best!

• IAT was the name of the company in anchorage Alaska who owned the 341. it was leased for the test. IAT was a anchorage company and had a fleet of Gazelles. I have forgotten what the IAT meant, but I think it was International Air transport I believe, The company eventually moved some of their machines to Utah and from there went out of business. Dave Dunstan

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Dave, thanks for your kind assistance!

I browse the Internet for 'International Air transport, Anchorage' but couldn't find anything. Instead, I came across 'Interagency Aviation Training'. Is there a chance Gazelles were operated by them?

• dunstan
      dunstan commented
      Editing a comment
      IAT went out of business in the 80's I believe -it was International Air, Dave

• Zishelix wrote: She survived the Gulf War but 'killed' in Bosnia several years later when technicians tried to remove the ice (after a snow storm) with a nylon mallets. Suffered Cat.4 damage and w/o 1997. Scrapped cabin section at Tong Paintball Site, Shropshire since March 2008.
    Just to understand .. the mechanics used mallets in an attempt to clear ice from the aircraft and ended-up writing it off?

Nigerian Gaz

Nigerian Gazelle (Photo: Tom Antonov)

F-GEHE

SA341G(S) F-GEHF (cn 1320) (Photo: Guy Brochot)

Now flying as YU-HEY.

Comment

• Fene Strong wrote: Interesting DASOR came out after this visit, whilst on the ground one of the rear seat passengers decided to open the rear door using the jettison handle (contrary to briefing), door was refitted and serviceable.
      And was there a recommendation which involved something other than handcuffing the pupils?

Also .. do you have any knowledge about XZ318 (see post further up) which was apparently written-off by 'engineers' hammering ice off the craft. I mean how does one write off an aircraft by doing that? Unless of course the ground crew were on some sort of drug-fuelled bender and began to literally destroy the aircraft with their hammers!

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, what a story, grazie mille Stefano!

I imagine this may have been a little bit of a shock to the ground crew. Perhaps next time they will use de-icer, boiling water or perhaps even a bottle of Rakia!

Presumably they did have some sort of airframe de-icing procedure for Gaz ops derived from their numerous cold weather exercises in Norway.

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        Savoia, In Norway the aircraft were covered when not in use and then a heater blew warm air under the covers for about 30 minutes before taking the covers off.

• Gary Gazelle
        Gary Gazelle commented
        Editing a comment
        not engineers (plural) but one avionic engineer who believed that he was helping out by de-icing the ac when it was called for a casevac

• Nigerian Gazelles

Regarding the Nigerian Gazelles I was led to believe that they were all ex-French, but the one shown in Sav's post is ex-UK military.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, no additional info on the subject from my side

Btw, Sav let me remind you about
        http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=5445#post5445

Looking forward to see your patch proposal!

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I won't be able to address this immediately but will put it on my 'to do' list!

• Rotorspot
        Rotorspot commented
        Editing a comment
        All I know is the following (from https://beegeagle.wordpress.com/2016...s-my-findings/ ):
        – Nigeria directly acquired five units of Gazelle helicopters from France. These were first seen in combat deployment in Feb 2015.
        – SOUTH AFRICA’s Paramount Group are upgrading them by installing the FLASH system, “an advanced development on the SAWS system that they did for Iraq’s Eurocopter helicopters” Herewith, all the relevant details of the FLASH.
        – The said combat module is fully day/night combat-capable and incorporates Ingwe anti-tank missiles, 70mm guided rockets, Head Up Display system, Helmet System, Sighting System, 12.7mm gun pod and 20mm cannon.

Cheers, Jos.

• A Round-up of Hitherto Unposted Shots from Tiger Meet 2016

L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain in May 2016 (Photo: Rami Khanna-Prade)

Note the Tiger atop the gun sight!

L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain in May 2016

L'armée de Terre SA342M 4146-GBY (cn 2146) Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain in May 2016

L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain in May 2016 (Photo: Ignacio Ferre)

L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain on 20th May 2016 (Photo: Miguel Angel Zapata Lopez)

​L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain in May 2016

L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain on 21st May 2016 (Photo: Carlos Enamorado )

Three additional Tiger Meet shots on the previous page.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice collage of Tiger Gazelle pics! Well done

• G-CTFS

SA341C G-CTFS (cn WA1081) as seen at RAF Elvington in the summer of 2015 (Photo: Neil Watson)

Comment

• SA.342J (s/n 1470) was 'born' as standard 341G but „stretched“ into 342J model back in 1982. Seen here as F-GIBU at Sheffield Airport in August 12th, 2007 (Photo: Jason Nicholls)

Before F-GIBU, she was Air Zermatt's HB-XMU and previously N9000A. Spent few years in UK Register as G-IBME and today flying as N342WF.

Comment

• SA.341G N30PA (s/n 1224) and her sister ship N31PA (s/n 1225)

The same company logo visible on both machines, but not sure to whom they belonged at the time.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice. Would be great to find out some more about these craft.

• Serbian Air Force SA342L1 12918 (cn 131) from 714 POHE "Senke" Helicopter Squadron as seen over Pešter highlands during "Morava 2016" military exercise in Pešterska visoravan, Serbia on 2nd June 2016 (Photo: Dimitrije Ostojic)

One more from Tiger Meet 2016 ..

​L'armée de Terre SA342M 3862-GAL (cn 1862) as seen at Zaragoza Air Force Base Spain in May 2016

G-CBGZ

SA341C G-CBGZ (cn 1915 or 1923) as seen at Gloucester Staverton on 29th May 2016 (Photo: James)

SA341C G-CBGZ (cn 1915 or 1923) as seen at Gloucester Staverton on 30th May 2016 (Photo: James)

G-RBIL

SA341D G-RBIL (cn 1199) as seen at Jersey Airport on 29th May 2016

It's been a while since we've seen the Gerbil, so it was very nice to come across this shot!

Comment

• Fene Strong
            Fene Strong commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, Just for my own sanity, isn't G-CBGZ cn1923?

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Just checking to see if our readers are paying attention FS .. lol!

The conundrum occurs as a result of Jos' list recording G-CBGZ as 1923 while the CAA website has her listed as 1915, see link: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapp...llregmark=CBGZ

• Gary Gazelle
            Gary Gazelle commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe that this was one of a couple of errors on the Westlands production list. I spoke to the owner of CBGZ several years ago and physically checked the serial number plate because 1915 was listed as being underwater in the mediterranean! Interestingly, CBGZ/646 is the ac that went to Eurocopter in 1993 for the yaw divergence trials.

• G-BCHM

SA341G G-BCHM (cn WA1168) at Weston Heli Days (Photo: Elipix)

I know we've seen a previous shot of G-BCHM when she wore this blue livery in the 90's, but I think this may be a different angle.

Note the Morris Minor estate with its now classic exterior woodwork, and behind that the tail of another Gaz,

Does anyone know the final fate of G-BCHM? Some suggest she was used for parts.

Jos, in seeking to answer Fene Strong's query about G-CBGZ (further above) do you have any idea why the CAA have this listed as cn. 1915?

Elsewhere on Avia: See Alouettes & Lamas for details on UR-KRL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
            Does anyone know the final fate of G-BCHM? Some suggest she was used for parts.
            Probably, she was badly damaged at Springfield Farm, Melton Mowbray in July 1997 and seen stored at Long Stratton Airfield since 1999 to 2002. She was with MW Helicopters Ltd at the time.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Zis.

• GazEngineer
              GazEngineer commented
              Editing a comment
              She is still with MW Helicopters.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie GazEn, nice one!

• SA341G(S) 'Crabtree Gazelle' N901B (cn 1410) aka '901' as seen at her home base at Crab Tree Farm in May 2016

Photos by Steve.

Nice to see some recent shots of 901 plus .. what appears to be one of Steve's labs in the top photo!

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Some nice pics of a lovely machine!

• Escape from Santa Fe Prison

Helicopter pilot Charles Bella was hired to fly a real estate agent around the Santa Fe area. As he was flying his Aerospatiale Gazelle his charter client pulled a gun on him and forced him to land in the courtyard of Santa Fe prison in New Mexico.

Three inmates jumped in and he flew the aircraft to another site. Police helicopters claimed the Bella tried to force them down through aggressive maneuvers, however other helicopters were able to tail him and federal agents were able to greet the helicopter every time it touched down. Two of the prisoners, Francis Mitchell and Randy Lackey, were captured almost right away while Danny Mahoney was later captured with assistance from a canine unit.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...prison_escapes

http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/morgu...jailbreak.html

Zis, do you happen to know which Gaz this was?

Unable to take-up full-size Gazelling just now? No problem, you can do this in the meantime!

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure, it was N505KH which you can read about here:
              http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=2678#post2678

For a photo, see the post immediately above the one I have lnked

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Zis. I sometimes fail to remember all the various issues we discuss!

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              No wonder, it's quite a challenge to remember almost 2000 posts we had so far at this thread

• ZU-HBH at Zwartkops Airshow on May 6th, 2015 (Photo: Wesley Moolman)

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice one Zis!

Steve, while you were in SA did the guys working on this project say whether they had successfully apprehended any poachers?

• Classic RAF Gaz

RAF Gazelles as seen at Greenham Common Air Base in 1976 (Photo: Ken Videan)

This is just a guess but, this shot looks as if it could be of 'The Gazelles' which were an RAF display team formed in the 70's from No.1 Central Flying School Squadron at RAF Ternhill.

The first craft in the line up (F) is XW870 (cn WA1146).

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, grazie. Does that mean she was used for fire practice?

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably, and I'm affraid the remains (hull) was burnt out in the meantime

• N48284
              N48284 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking at my Dad's log, the CFS aircraft on the Sunday were XW870/F, XW898/G, XX396/N, XW910/K, XX374/L and XX406/P. Also, looking at the flying display programme 'The Gazelles' were there displaying on both days.

• More RAF

SA341D XW855 (cn WA1050) possibly at RAF Northolt c. 1990's

This craft was apparently built in 1973 whereafter she was assigned to the Central Flying School at Ternhill before joining 32 Squadron in 1992. In 1996 having flown a total of 3,958 hours she was stored at RAF Shawbury and in 2003 sent to the museum at RAF Hendon.

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
              Gary Gazelle commented
              Editing a comment
              converted to 341E at some point (HCC4) - hence the paint scheme.

• Gazelle Squadron Display Team Cleared to Fly for 2016

On Tuesday 31 May 2016, the Gazelle Squadron Display Team flew to RAF Abingdon in Oxfordshire with a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Display Authorisation Evaluator. The CAA display authorisation is a mandatory process for any pilot that wishes to perform a flying display in the UK, and involves many months of planning, practicing and evaluating flying display routines, aircraft and aircrew performance. At the end of the briefing, the CAA evaluator provided the news that allows to display as either a single aircraft or a pair at events throughout 2016!
            More details and pictures at: http://helihub.com/2016/06/06/gazell...-fly-for-2016/

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats! Wishing them a successful season!

• BAG

SA341B ZB673 (cn WA1966) as seen at Bournemouth Hurn Airport on 29th June 1986 (Photo: Chris Hicks)

Ex-671 Squadron.

And a couple more shots of the 'Gerbil'

SA341D G-RBIL (cn 1199) as seen at Jersey Airport on 29th May 2016

SA341D G-RBIL (cn 1199) as seen at an unknown location on 28th May 2016 (Photo: Keith Harbor)

Comment

• N505HA over Breighton Airfield in November 2008 (Photo: Dave Marshall)

And a cub of the same Gazelle.

Comment

• Gazelle Down Montenegro

An SA342 Gazelle helicopter of the Montenegrin Air Force has crashed on the outskirts of Podgorica injuring two crew members, one seriously.

A spokesman for the Air Force said the aircraft was on a routine training flight when it crashed in a field southwest of the nation's capital earlier today.

Before ambulances arrived at the crash site, locals pulled the two crew members from the helicopter, one of whom one was unconscious.

One crew member suffered severe head injuries while the other remains in intensive care, although hospital staff have said that his injuries are not life threatening.

The Montenegrin Air Force Gazelle which crashed outside of Podgorica earlier today injuring its two crew, one seriously

"I heard a sound and came out and saw a helicopter trying to land. Then it crashed," eyewitness Rasim Softic said.

It wasn't immediately clear what caused the Gazelle helicopter to crash.

SA342L1 No. 12941 (cn. 161) which crashed today in Montenegro (Photo: Aldin Abazović)

The Balkan state, which is slated to become NATO's newest member, has a small air force that includes five Gazelle helicopters which were made by the Mostar-based Soko Corporation in former Yugoslavia under license from Aérospatiale (now Airbus Helicopters) in France.
                http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...ontenegro.html

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...cer-06-10-2016

Comment

• Oh no, a great loss for Montenegro's small Gazelle fleet.

Glad to know the crew survived. I wish them a quick and full recovery!

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We pray for God's healing hand to be upon the crew member who has suffered serious head injury, as well as comfort and support for his family.

From one thing to another, I wonder whether this accident will generate any recommendations for the mandatory wearing of helmets as part of MAF's standard helicopter pilot apparel?

• F-HGUN Becomes N342ET

SA342J, c/n 1058 (formerly F-HGUN) became N342ET on 01-Jun-2016; registered owner given as Satanas and Co Inc Trustee, Wilmington, USA.

And yesterday I noticed 'Black Pete' (aka YU-HVZ) in Best, The Netherlands, when I drove past its base.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think HGUN's owner must have been speaking with XB, LOL! Do you think we are going to see and exodus from 'F' to 'N' reg among the French Gazelles?

Jos, next time please take a photo!

• Astazou
                    Astazou commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting ... F-GIBU is now N342WF and is also registered in Wilmington Delaware. It looks like someone in the area (most likely the same person) has N342ET as well.

Obviously someone who is a fan of the very rare ....stretched SA342J Gazelles.

• Interesting. Thanks for the info, Jos!

I wonder if she has changed home base also, or whether its just her registration?

(Photo: Gilles Paccalet)

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Someone really must tell HGUN's owner to give his craft a wash!
                Working...
                X