Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XX380

Royal Marines SA341B XX380 (WA1268) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 4th June 1994 (Photo: Andrew Haynes)

Comment

• Who on here is going to the Gazelle 50th?

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        AFAIK XB, plus other members of Benegaz. Elipix mentioned he may go. I don't know if Fene Strong is planning to attend?

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Elipix has a family commitment and cannot find suitable flights down and back in one day. Too far to drive or waddle (Penguin) from Scotland and back in one day. So sadly will probably miss this great event. Could have given my Black and white suit an airing ? Unless anyone knows of a spare seat from the North of England then this Penguin might fly
        Last edited by Helipixman; 27th March 2017, 20:09.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      AFAIK XB, plus other members of Benegaz. Elipix mentioned he may go. I don't know if Fene Strong is planning to attend?
      any penguins going ?

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        If you mean RAF ground crew, I'm not sure, but hopefully Andy will give us an update of others who are attending over the coming days.

• No not Raf. Penguins Non flying personnel , people not with aircraft

Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      If you mean RAF ground crew, I'm not sure, but hopefully Andy will give us an update of others who are attending over the coming days.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        A penguins, LOL!

Kiwy could mean the people from Down Under, Ostrich might not be suitable and Dodos are long time extinct.

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        I shall be attending, without aircraft (as i don't have one and cannot legally fly one!)

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Great stuff FS! Be sure and say hi to fellow Aviaforans including event organiser Andy and Steve who should be arriving in N901B (a white Gazelle). Also XB from Belgium is due to be there with possibly some other Gazelles with him.

• SA341D G-CBSI (cn WA1736) as seen at Bourne Park on 5th March 2016 (Photo: Martin Needham)

Comment

• N341GG

SA341G N341GG (cn 1181) as seen at Kortrijk-Wevelgem Airport on 26th March 2017 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

Comment

• New name needed PENGUINS can fly !

Comment

• ZB625

SA341D ZB625 (cn WA1905) as seen at Salisbury Plains Training Area on 29th March 2017 (Photo: Laurie Hughes)

SA341D ZB625 (cn WA1905) as seen at Salisbury Plains Training Area on 29th March 2017 (Photo: Laurie Hughes)

Comment

• An RAF HT3 Training Gazelle 'exercising'

Original post.

G-HSDL, N150SF & G-OGEO

SA341B G-HSDL (cn WA1227) as seen at the Helicentre Manchester on 4th March 2017 (Photo: Kevin Donegan)

SA341G(S) N150SF (cn 1584) as seen at Cheltenham Racecourse on 14th March 2017 (Photo: Paul Beale)

SA341G(S) G-OGEO (cn 1417) (Photo: Lee Burling)

Gaz 50

The owners of G-HSDL and N150SF have both been invited to next Saturday's fly-in at Middle Wallop but, Andy reports that he is still awaiting their responses. The cut-off for responses for those flying-in is this coming Monday, so let's keep our fingers crossed for some last minute confirmations.

Regarding Elipix's former neighbour G-OGEO, we are still awaiting further details as to where specifically she is going, although Stefano has indicated that she could be off to the Caribbean.

Heli-Racing

See here to watch an example of Hughes 500 racing. Is there a case for Gazelle racing and, if so, who will be the first to try?

New Members
            New member Goose814 has finally responded to his welcome posts see here and is requesting a photo of the lever which operates the landing gear which can be locked and unlocked.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes indeed, my mistake.

• N48284
              N48284 commented
              Editing a comment
              HSDL has confirmed they can't attend, still waiting on anything from 150SF. My cut off is midday(BST) on Monday to have all PPR details logged with ATC. I am also missing N505HAs insurance certificate which also must be in before the same time as PPR details.

If anyone knows anyone who has a helicopter and would like to flyin (landing fee to be paid) please get them to email me on gazelle50@threshold.aero asap.

• Fene Strong
              Fene Strong commented
              Editing a comment
              Reference the locking of the Bar-B-Que plate, not seen this before, why would you want to do this? Is this part of the ALAT aircraft due to additional power and lift?

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
            Regarding Elipix's former neighbour G-OGEO, we are still awaiting further details as to where specifically she is going, although Stefano has indicated that she could be off to the Caribbean.
            Yes, only that it was G-OGAZ that I referred to.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah yes quite right, G-OGAZ it was.

• Montenegrin Air Force SA341's landing at Å piro MugoÅ¡a Airport, Podgorica, in March 2017

FINAL REMINDER

The Fly-In commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the first flight of the Gazelle takes place one week today at AAC Middle Wallop. See details here.

For those flying-in, either with a Gazelle or any other type of aircraft, the last day for notifying your intention to attend is this coming Monday 3rd April.

If you still haven't notified your intention to attend, please email Avia Member Andy at: gazelle50@threshold.aero as soon as possible.

For Avia member Arnaud, please can you email your aircraft's insurance certificate to Andy asap. Grazie.

Gaz Landing Gear

See XB's photos of the Gaz rigid landing gear.

Comment

• Just found this....

Could be ex G-OGAZ rumoured to be owned by Profollia Inc

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Great stuff Elipix. I'm afraid though that you'll have to unravel a little more of the 'Profollia' clue in order for me to appreciate it though, lol!

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Profollia re-arranged is April Fool

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, get it now .. a bit slow on the uptake!

• ZU-RZR

SA342L ZU-RZR (cn 1854) as seen in Magaliesburg South Africa on 16th March 2017 (Photo: Justin Kennerley)

Comment

• Originally posted by XBDT:

Some pictures of a Gazelle with rigid gear currently in overhaul process:

Goose814 wrote:

Thanks for those. So that would be the pin that locks and unlocks the flex plate, and I see that the lever it's attached to has a cable that I assume leads to the lever in the cockpit. This brings up two other questions for me. One, since it is a cable and not a push/pull rod, would there be some type of spring that would keep the pin in until the lever is pulled to unlock it? Two, would you have any photos of the lever in the cockpit for this mechanism. I'm aware that the Gazelle has several numerous overhead levers that have different functions, most of which I've been able to identify, however I'm not sure which lever this is. Again, thank you very much for helping to educate me.
                Fene Strong wrote:

Reference the locking of the Bar-B-Que plate, not seen this before, why would you want to do this? Is this part of the ALAT aircraft due to additional power and lift?

Comment

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This applies only to Gazelles with rigid gear.

s/n of aircraft with rigid gear are: 1003, 1008, 1012, 1015, 1017, 1020, 1022, 1023, 1025, 1031, 1032, 1034, 1035, 1036, 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1052, 1058, 1059, 1060, 1061, 1063, 1064, 1066, 1072, 1075, 1076.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting info, thanks XB!

• Well done, Nosco!

One more photo of SFTG taken at Carlisle back in 1985. Although the photo isn't the sharpest one, hi-viz main rotor blade is visible.

Photo by Fergus Abraham

Comment

• N505HA

SA341G SA341G N505HA (cn 1022) as seen at Ascot Racecouse on 18th June 2009 (Photo: Ben Allsup)

Comment

• Nice picture. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is the purpose of that 'beam' sticking out above the right aft strut of the skids? I do not remember having seen that on other Gazelles.

Comment

• A British Army, or more likely still Royal Marines, Gazelle in the Falklands in 1982

Comment

• Oh, I haven't seen this one before! Grazie mille, Sav

Serbian Gazelle Demo Team Strsljenovi (Hornets) 'dancing' ballet over Skadarsko jezero in 1997 (Photo: Zoran Milovanovic)

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very nice Zis!

• Happy 50th Birthday to the Gazelle!

Fifty years ago today, on 7th April 1967, Sud Aviation test pilot Jean Boulet conducted the first flight of the Gazelle prototype designated SA 340, registration F-WOFH, construction number 340-001. The flight took place at Sud Aviation's Marignane facility near Marseilles in southern France.

The prototype flew with skids, transmission and tail rotor borrowed from the Alouette II.

All photos from the Sud Aviation archives.

Aviafora wishes 'God speed' to those readers and members who will be attending tomorrow's fly-in at Middle Wallop!

http://www.mlggazettes.co.uk/gazelle-50th-fly/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Received this morning:

We are working on a post for the Gazelle. As soon as it is online (we will post it on our Facebook page), I invite you to put your link in the comments. I will probably take a part of the text used on Aviafora for our post.

— Airbus Helicopters, Marignane
                      https://www.facebook.com/AirbusHelicopters/

Comment

• What a nice reminder Sav!

Wishing a joyful day tomorrow at Middle Wallop to all participants!

Comment

• The plains of Middle Wallop 31 years ago!

Photo Milosz Rusiecky… a Polish aviation enthusiast, my dear friend and the author of so far the only Gazelle publication.

Let's hope he'd consider to make an English version as well.

As far as I know, Milosz will attend tommorow's meeting!

Comment

• Thinking of our friends at Middle Wallop today!

A sea of Gazelles at Army Air Corps Middle Wallop on 15th June 1996 (Photo: Paul Thallon)

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm so impatient to see some pics from today party! C'mon guys, don't let us wait too long

• First Shots from Gaz 50

Armée de Terre SA342 'GEC' at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ian Frain)

The 'Gaz Squad' at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Richie Willis)

Gazelles at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Matt Abbott)

SA341G SA341G N505HA (1022) at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ollie Brake)

Bravo Arnaud!

SA341C G-CBGZ (cn WA1915) at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ollie Brake)

SA341G G-GAZA (cn 1187) at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ollie Brake)

Nosco, in case you happen to read this .. the above aircraft is ex G-STFG, also ex G-RALE .. the 'pharmaceutical bird'!

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sav, thanks for quick response. Let's hope some fellow Aviaforans who attended will also share their impressions

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I am sure they will. But for now they will want to have a glass of beer, some dinner and relax for the evening!

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You're right, think I can understand such 'selfish' needs... moreover, pretty sure I'd do the same

• More Gaz 50

G-CDNO & G-CTFS at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ross Sullivan)

GEC & GBI at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ross Sullivan)

N341AS at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ross Sullivan)

Bravo XB!

N505HA at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ross Sullivan)

Nice landing Arnaud!

N901B at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ross Sullivan)

Ah, Stefano with 901!

YU-HEY at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Ross Sullivan)

Comment

• N341AS at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photos: Roger)

Comment

• N901B at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Roger)

Comment

• ALAT SA342 at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Scuba)

YU-HEY and G-CDNO at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Roger)

~ ~ ~

THANK YOU from Aviafora !!!

Great thanks are extended to Avia members Steve and XB, not only for their participation, but for having encouraged the involvement of other Gazelle owners.
                                  Thanks also to those Avia members who supported the event through attending by ground.

Our 'super congratulations' to Andy for having put this event together, and to the Museum of Army Flying for their assistance in helping to facilitate this!

And last but by no means least .. thank you God for the glorious weather!

ps: Next time please ask the Army not to cut the grass the day before the fly-in, as it interferes with the pictures (never mind about the turbines)!

Comment

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Indeed, according so far posted pics and vids seems it was a great day at Middle Wallop! Congrats to all involved! A big anniversary marked in such a big style Good job well done!

• Fene Strong
                                    Fene Strong commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Yes, Thanks indeed to all those involved with organising it, a lovely day and well supported.

• SA341G N341L as seen at Brown Field Municipal Airport in San Diego California (Photo: Kyle Ahrensberg)

This is evidently an ex-Canadian Gazelle.

Comment

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Wow, a 'new' one! Interesting c/s as well. Let's hope there are some more pics of this nice looking bird around

• Zishelix wrote: Let's hope there are some more pics of this nice looking bird around.
                                  Hope these will do for now:

N341L as seen in San Felipe, Mexico - possibly associated with the Baja 1000 race (Photos: skywonders)

Comment

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks, Sav! Any idea about ID of this machine?

• xbdt
                                    xbdt commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    According to FAA N Number Enquiry: s/n 1263

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Ah, N569RD finally found a new owner and changed the livery!
                                Working...
                                X