The Rotary Nostalgia Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell 206B G-BBEU (cn.1121) as seen at Battersea in 1978

The tail of Alan Mann's Bell 47 G-BBRI also visible in this shot.

G-BBEU was imported to the UK in 1973 by Ben Turner Helicopters (of which the Colonel was a director) and sold to Heli-Air almost immediately. In 1975 she was bought by Alan Mann and in '78 she was sold to a friend of the Colonel's, Andrew Walters (current leaseholder of Biggin Hill and former owner of IML Messengers which Andrew sold to UPS in the 80's). Andrew then sold her to Air Hanson in 1981 and in the following year Bill Armstrong (again with the involvement of the Colonel) sold her to the Uganda Police Air Wing.

Who's That Driver?

Does anyone recognise this driver?

With Ferranti's pilots wearing 'white' gloves, some competitors took to supplying their drivers with 'black' gloves, although this was mainly the practice (in those days) of Air Hanson, so this 'might' be an ex-Hanson driver.

We should probably invite caption suggestions for the groundsman looking skywards!

Comment

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      And for my next trick, I will catch the tennis ball tie-down in my mouth !

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha .. yes quite!

• Another shot of G-BBEU, this time without Alan Mann logo

Photo from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely shot Elipix. I wonder if this was at Old Warden?

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks possible for Old Warden.

• More shots of G-BAFN

Photos from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely shots Elipix!

• UK 212's

A few more Bell 212 helicopters in the UK.

G-BFJB of British Airways and G-BIGB when owned by Bristow Helicopters. BIGB was restored to the UK register in September 2018

Photos from the Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie Elipix. Yes, it was interesting to see BIGB's old registration returned after flying as UHUK.

• JetRanger Nostalgia

A couple of shots of JetRangers in car parks/hotels.

The first, G-COAL at the Post House Hotel, London Heathrow Airport and the second G-TOYZ at the Lord Daresbury Hotel, Warrington.

Photos from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      That photo of G-COAL certainly evokes some memories, having landed in that same spot at the Heathrow Post House more times than I can remember.

Nice to see car parks being used 'properly'. Do you happen to know the identity of the 206 hiding behind G-TOYZ?

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      I will have to look at my Log book, thats one of the many days we landed there. Probably G-ODIG

• Rotary Memorabilia

A couple of Pin badges. The first one I recieved from Dollar Helicopters, the second one a Hughes 500 looks like its the same scheme so possibly aimed at Dollar Helicopters. Sadly I cannot remember where I got the Hughes 500 from ? Excuse the background it was easiest to stick them into a potato !

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice, even when stuck into a tattie! Had you used a neep it could have been a tribute to Roy Neep, an engineer who worked with Dollar after whom the JetRanger G-NEEP was named!

IIRC, Dollar briefly operated a 500 in the early 80's in the form of G-BEJY.

• G-JUMP

The picture below is such a rare shot, found by a good friend at Tang photos. Its taken at Redhill.....and so far I think the only photograph that exists of this JetRanger.

Photo with thanks to Tang Photos

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Well well .. you've done it again Elipix! I can't remember just how long I've been asking you about G-JUMP, but its got to be going on five years now. Bravo amico! This is lovely to see.

This was almost certainly taken within her first year of delivery, for she would go on to highs (high skids) I think by her second year.

What a joy to see this craft again, especially after waiting so many years for a photo to emerge .. grazie mille Elipix !!!

G-JUMP belonged to Douglas Bunn (founder of the Hickstead All England Jumping Course). Dougie received G-JUMP in June '78 as a replacement for his existing 206A (later upgraded to a 'B') which was none other than the 'Dancer' G-AYTF. The Dancer would later be bought by Colin Chapman (Team Lotus) and which was when I began to fly her.

Dougie's son Jonathan bought a former RAF Gazelle (WA1228) in 2001 which became G-BXZE, but which he sadly pranged the following year at Hickstead while contending with the Gazelle's 'Tail Swing Bite'.

Bristow used to perform the maintenance on the Dancer as well as G-JUMP.
Working...
X