No announcement yet.

The Rotary Nostalgia Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell 212 G-BAFN (cn.30550) as seen at Humberside on 3rd July 1983 (Photo by Ian Atkinson)

Comment

• Bell 206B G-BBEU (cn.1121) as seen at Battersea in 1978

The tail of Alan Mann's Bell 47 G-BBRI also visible in this shot.

G-BBEU was imported to the UK in 1973 by Ben Turner Helicopters (of which the Colonel was a director) and sold to Heli-Air almost immediately. In 1975 she was bought by Alan Mann and in '78 she was sold to a friend of the Colonel's, Andrew Walters (current leaseholder of Biggin Hill and former owner of IML Messengers which Andrew sold to UPS in the 80's). Andrew then sold her to Air Hanson in 1981 and in the following year Bill Armstrong (again with the involvement of the Colonel) sold her to the Uganda Police Air Wing.

Who's That Driver?

Does anyone recognise this driver?

With Ferranti's pilots wearing 'white' gloves, some competitors took to supplying their drivers with 'black' gloves, although this was mainly the practice (in those days) of Air Hanson, so this 'might' be an ex-Hanson driver.

We should probably invite caption suggestions for the groundsman looking skywards!

Comment

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        And for my next trick, I will catch the tennis ball tie-down in my mouth !

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha .. yes quite!

• Another shot of G-BBEU, this time without Alan Mann logo

Photo from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovely shot Elipix. I wonder if this was at Old Warden?

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks possible for Old Warden.

• More shots of G-BAFN

Photos from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovely shots Elipix!

• UK 212's

A few more Bell 212 helicopters in the UK.

G-BFJB of British Airways and G-BIGB when owned by Bristow Helicopters. BIGB was restored to the UK register in September 2018

Photos from the Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Elipix. Yes, it was interesting to see BIGB's old registration returned after flying as UHUK.

• JetRanger Nostalgia

A couple of shots of JetRangers in car parks/hotels.

The first, G-COAL at the Post House Hotel, London Heathrow Airport and the second G-TOYZ at the Lord Daresbury Hotel, Warrington.

Photos from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        I will have to look at my Log book, thats one of the many days we landed there. Probably G-ODIG

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking at Log book it was G-ODIG, the company had also not long obtained G-IANG a LongRanger

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, nice one!

• Rotary Memorabilia

A couple of Pin badges. The first one I recieved from Dollar Helicopters, the second one a Hughes 500 looks like its the same scheme so possibly aimed at Dollar Helicopters. Sadly I cannot remember where I got the Hughes 500 from ? Excuse the background it was easiest to stick them into a potato !

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice, even when stuck into a tattie! Had you used a neep it could have been a tribute to Roy Neep, an engineer who worked with Dollar after whom the JetRanger G-NEEP was named!

IIRC, Dollar briefly operated a 500 in the early 80's in the form of G-BEJY.

• G-JUMP

The picture below is such a rare shot, found by a good friend at Tang photos. Its taken at Redhill.....and so far I think the only photograph that exists of this JetRanger.

Photo with thanks to Tang Photos

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Well well .. you've done it again Elipix! I can't remember just how long I've been asking you about G-JUMP, but its got to be going on five years now. Bravo amico! This is lovely to see.

This was almost certainly taken within her first year of delivery, for she would go on to highs (high skids) I think by her second year.

What a joy to see this craft again, especially after waiting so many years for a photo to emerge .. grazie mille Elipix !!!

G-JUMP belonged to Douglas Bunn (founder of the Hickstead All England Jumping Course). Dougie received G-JUMP in June '78 as a replacement for his existing 206A (later upgraded to a 'B') which was none other than the 'Dancer' G-AYTF. The Dancer would later be bought by Colin Chapman (Team Lotus) and which was when I began to fly her.

Dougie's son Jonathan bought a former RAF Gazelle (WA1228) in 2001 which became G-BXZE, but which he sadly pranged the following year at Hickstead while contending with the Gazelle's 'Tail Swing Bite'.

Bristow used to perform the maintenance on the Dancer as well as G-JUMP.

G-JUMP is of course one of the few nostalgic craft to have its own anthem! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-potK_7Ts

• Bell 206L B-BFTR and S-76A G-OHTL as seen in Porthcawl, South Wales in January 1982

During the winter of '82 the Australian national rugger team known as the 'Wallabies' were visiting the UK. While visiting South Wales (as opposed to New South Wales ) they lodged at the Seabank Hotel in Porthcawl whereupon they were snowed-in for several days.

Although not widely reported, they were ultimately rescued from Porthcawl by helicopter, courtesy of the chaps at Air Hanson!

Comment

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh wow that brings back some memories for me. I spent many a good summers day on the promenade and on the beach in Porthcawl. My father was born in Swansea, just along the coast and when not playing football, he was a keen golfer and played the Royal Porthcawl Golf Club many times. A challenging course when the wind was blowing.

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        So you've been to Porthcawl! Did you ever see snow there? I thought it was rare to find snow right on the cost, especially on the windward side (ie. from the Atlantic). It must have been some winter that year in Wales.

I actually wouldn't mind passing through Wales on my next trip to the UK as it has been long since I was there.

Sounds like papà Elipix was an all round sportsman!

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        In all the time I spent on the South Wales coast, Swansea, Porthcawl, Cardiff and the beautiful Gower I never saw snow. Plenty of rain but never snow !

Yes Papa Elipix was an all rounder when it came to sport, Football, Golf, Cricket and Snooker. I tried many times to beat him at Snooker to no avail.

• AS355F2 G-WWWW (cn.5355) as seen at Silverstone c.1989 (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

This aircraft was bought by Chivas Brothers of Renfrewshire in February 1987 but was sold back to McAlpine just three years later in April 1990.

She is seen here wearing the Chivas corporate colours of blue and gold and carries a somewhat unique registration.

Now, you've got to ask yourself just how clunky it would have been to employ this registration in RT exchanges? But there is a reason that this aircraft flew as 'Four Whisky' and the reason is that the heritage of the Chivas distillery was built upon four legacy whiskeys, namely: The Glenlivet, Ballantine's, Chivas Regal and Royal Salute.

Some Tuesday trivia on Rotary Nostalgia!

For more details and discussion on UK personalised helicopter registrations, visit this thread.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha .. some nice complementary information there Elipix!

Thinking about it, the Distillers Co. could probably have applied for 'DCWW' had they wanted. Around the same time (mid-70's) Robertson Foods had a Piper Navajo registered G-OLLY complete with the 'Golly' logo on the tail. That was probably one of the first personalised registrations I encountered in the UK. Interestingly, Robertson's were initially located in Renfrewshire, although their Navajo spent much of its time at Biggin where I saw her frequently.

Following-on from your remarks about G-DOOK .. after G-TALY became G-CSKY I only every used the call sign 'Charlie Sky' which had become standard practice with the Skyline craft. This is because Denissimo had all the aircraft registered ending with the letters 'SKY' which was fine .. until you had three or more craft in the pattern all ending with 'Kilo Yankee' (and remember this was a training school). So the controllers at Booker took matters into their own hands and began the practice of using the first letter and then pronouncing 'sky' as a word. Individual drivers then chose to utilise these call signs beyond the circuit and most of the aircraft flew using these 'new' call signs wherever they went.

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Personalised registrations are a fascinating subject, trying to work some of them out ! I remember seeing G-OLLY all over the place, but like you mainly Biggin Hill. In todays current PC world it would have probably been banned. Remember the Badges they produced. That reminds me of G-JAMI nothing to do with Jam but another great registration. Think I need to look out more personalised photos !

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        '𝑰𝒏 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒄𝒖𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝑷𝑪 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒚 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒅.' — There's no doubt Elipix. In fact Robertson's were forced to withdraw the use of their 'golly' in the mid-to-late 80's, but the icon remained on G-OLLY's tail throughout her tenure with Robertson.

I remember not only the badges (I either had one or a school friend did, can't remember which) but also the golly figurines which included a football-playing golly!

Political 'correctness' is a bane on society and is nothing less than the manifestation of Orwell's 'thought police'. It destroys freedom of speech and gives licence to government, industry and the media to dictate to society what it should and shouldn't do. Political correctness unchecked, is the beginning of the end of personal liberty.

Ah .. G-JAMI .. my favourite LongRanger colour scheme of all time, followed very closely by 3A-MSX. She was a real beaut! Would absolutely love to one day discover more about her owner and 'Heart of England Helicopters'.

• G-JAMC and G-JAMI

Not really much known about James Anthony McCaughey and his company Heart of England Helicopters Ltd. Here are photographs of his two helicopters....

G-JAMI Bell 206L Longranger (46605)
      G-JAMC Bell 222 (47050)

An one of 3A-MSX but not the colour scheme you probably liked ? Was your fav the old LOTUS scheme ?

All photos from the Helipixman collection

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Always a delight to see JAMI & JAMC! 👍

'Heart of England' kind of burst onto the scene, first with the beautiful JAMI in early '78 and then with the lovely JAMC in '81, but by 1983 it was all over! Never really got to know anything about James McCaughey but hope to discover more about this short-lived company in times ahead.

I've not seen 3A-MSX in this scheme before so this is very interesting. 👍

For 2-3 years Monaco-based David Thieme and his 'Essex Oil Company' became sponsors for Team Lotus. MSX was Thieme's personal aircraft and had been painted in a deep blue with a reflective 'chrome' and scarlet stripe which had originally been worn when the aircraft flew as F-GCGZ, so I am imagining your photo must have been taken in the mid-to-late 80's perhaps immediately after Thieme sold it?

During the time that Essex Oil sponsored Lotus most (if not all) of Colin's aircraft were painted in the Essex colours including 'The Dancer' (G-AYTF). In fact, the first time I flew the Dancer she was in the 'Team Essex' colours. Colin's Citation N12ME was also painted in the Essex colours and .. one of those responsible for painting it was none other than former Avia member the late Adrian Batchelor.

• AndyM
        AndyM commented
        Editing a comment
        G-JAMC photograph taken at the back of Dollars hangar Coventry. They also looked after G-JAMI in 1979
        The rusty car bodies and hangar are unmistakeable!!!!

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Andrea! 👍

• Bell 206A G-AWUC (cn.323) as seen at Luton in 1972 (Photo by Carl Ford)

Owned and operated at the time of this photo by Heli-Jet Executive Ltd.

Seen here with her tail-mounted anti-collision light missing. This was a common occurrence among 'A' model JetRangers, perhaps something to do with the mounting arrangement. I recall at least four JetRangers in the UK from the late 70's and early 80's which had this missing.

If this craft looks familiar, then this may be because she appeared on page 3 in a photo taken two years later in 1974 when she flew with Inverness based Kestrel Helicopters.

Comment

• Civilian Chinooks

Boeing-Vertol 234LR Chinook N225RA as seen at Linden Airport in New Jersey in 1990

One of two Chinooks flying for the Trump Corporation in 1990. Both were later sold to Columbia Helicopters.

Comment

• Bell 206B G-KFDF (cn.1748) filming during the Needles Trophy near the Isle of Wight in 1988

G-KFDF from 24:14 mins

Comment

• Westland-Bell 47G-4A G-AXKY (WA729) as seen at Redhill in May 1970

From a time when Bristows trained many of their pilots in house.

Comment

• AndyM
              AndyM commented
              Editing a comment
              Surely that is Middle Wallop? Bristow had the initial helicopter training contract for the army

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay grazie, will amend my photo notes accordingly.👍

• Grønlandsfly (Greenlandair) S-61N OY-HAN (cn.6487) as seen at Narsarsuaq Airport in Greenland on 1st January 1970
            (Photo by Mat Herben)

Comment

• Nostalgia News

G-WIZZ Forced Landing

Agusta-Bell JetRanger G-WIZZ, a helicopter which has featured many times on Rotary Nostalgia, has suffered a forced landing and severed it's tail boom. Hopefully there is no other damage and it could be put back into the air soon.

The ASN report states that the aircraft suffered a "loss of engine power" but that none of the three people on board were injured.

The accident happened on Humberston Fitties Beach in Grimsby, Lincolnshire on 15.10.21. Looking at the photo, the marks in the sand show a run on and boom severed.

Strange that I found this photo via Albanian News!

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh no 😲 WIZZ has come down with a bang! 😫 How thankful we are though that all on board are okay! 😊👍

Yes, WIZZ has featured at various time on the Nostalgia Threads (old and new). I first got to see her in 1978, just months after her delivery. She was one of the first (if not the first) 206 delivered to the UK on 'highs' (ie. high skids without pop-out floats).

'𝑺𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒉𝒐𝒕𝒐 𝒗𝒊𝒂 𝑨𝒍𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒂𝒏 𝑵𝒆𝒘𝒔!' — Oh yes, Albania is 'the' place for news these days! 🤣

• Ronald Harvey Osborn

In the late 80's I came across the log books of Ronald Osborn who was one of the first commercial helicopter pilots in the UK. I went on to spend nearly thirty years trying to locate his family in order to return them.

Ron learnt to fly in Southern Rhodesia during the war, and remained there as a flight instructor. After the war, he continued to instruct for the R.A.F at Sywell. As chance would have it, in the early 80's we lived in Sywell, opposite the churchyard, and I later discovered that Ronald was buried about 50 yards from our front door!

He went on to convert to helicopters and flew Whirlwinds for Helicopter Whaling in the early 50's. In his log book it shows that his conversion from fixed wing to helicopters was undertaken by Alan Bristow and John Fay.

The photos below are from Ron's photo album and depict various scenes from his life. This were given to me courtesy of his daughter Maureen, whom I have sadly lost contact with over the years. Maureen was just four years old when her father was killed on the last flight of the day after having spent the day spraying with a Hughes 300 in Norfolk in 1963. Unusually, this was an American registered aircraft which was owned by Westland and leased to Management Aviation.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Some incredible nostalgia there Andrea, bravo! 👍

As is happens, the Colonel served as chief pilot for Christian Salvesen in support their whaling operations in Antarctica in the mid 50's.

Very sad though that Ron perished in that crash and that this happened so early in his career.

• Hi AndyM great to have you in this group. Some wonderful nostalgia and photos, do you have any more of the helicopters operated by Christian Salvesen in the album ?

The accident you refer to happened on 18.7.63 in N8785F at High House farm, Heckingham, Norfolk. Initial cause was reported at tiredness but after a post mortem it was more likely from Toxic Pesticide poisoning.

Comment

• AndyM
                AndyM commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm afraid that they are the only photos Maureen had. My wife actually photographed the photographs!!!!
                Not a bad effort.
                We met Maureen at the Sywell Motel and I had the greatest pleasure returning her fathers log books and pilots licence to her. I never for a moment thought they belonged to me. I had almost given up on finding the familly. I decided to give it one last chance and posted on another aviation web site that shall not be named. By chance Maureen had googled her fathers name and the post came up. As they say the rest is history. Maureen was amazed that anything still remained to be found after 50 years. One interesting entry in her fathers log book for a flight notes simply John Lennon, Beatle.

• Dauphin Memories

AS365N Dauphin II 8P-BHM (cn.6077) ex PH-SST en route from Barbados to Antigua post hurricane Georges in 1998.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovely shot Andrea 👌 literally 'flying high!' 👍 The calm 'after' the storm. 😊

• AndyM
                AndyM commented
                Editing a comment
                Caribbean call sign 8 Pineapple, Banana, Hotel, Mango!!!!

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha, great stuff! 🤣

• 5N-APP Bell 206B II (s/n 2018)

Seen at Luton Aiport, not sure of date ? I have tried to find details of this craft but there does not seem to be much info about. It has a big horse logo on the side so I wonder who owned this ? I am sure after it was broken up it may have been in Scotland but again unsure ?

Help anyone ?

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Will make some enquiries Elipix but this is almost certainly taken in the early 80's and I suspect that this craft is associated with Autair who were selling a number of JetRangers into Africa at that time.

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it must have been with Autair, where the shot is taken it was outside their blister hangar.

• Westland Sioux from 665 Squadron AAC as seen at Layer Road Stadium in Colchester, Essex on 13th January 1972
              (Photo by Desmond Blake)

The Sioux landed on the pitch prior to a match between Colchester United and Bury. Major Allan Bower is seen presenting a photograph (taken from the Sioux) of the Leeds United cup tie.

Elipix, as Avia's official football advisor, do you have any idea why the Army would be giving Colchester United a photo of the final between Leeds and Spurs (which I assume is the 'cup tie' the photo notes mention). Also, did Leeds in fact have a tie with Spurs in '72? I thought you had a 'shoot out' when a tie happens?

Photo Replay

While on the matter of football, this is an opportune moment to re-post an image from page 5 #128 which features 1960's Brantly's and the UK police, but here is a 'side' image:

Someone with an armband, two policemen, and what looks like a St. John's first-aider, on the touchline during a game at Spurs' White Hart Lane football ground, in Tottenham, London in 1962

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Not really sure what the photo is about, but looking at the stadium in the photo it is not Wembley !

In 1972 Colchester went out in the 2nd round being beaten by Gillingham. My team, Arsenal went on to to the final against Leeds United on 6th may 1972 and lost 1-0. I was at that game, so not sure how Spurs were thought to be in the final.

I have no idea what the photo is all about but as I mentioned it is ceratinly not Wembley, the ground is too rectangular where as Wembley is more oval shaped.

Has someone mixed up dates because Colchester Played Leeds United at Layer Road on 13th January 1971 in the FA Cup 5th Round and they beat Leeds 3-2. Colchester were beaten in the 6th round 5-0 by Everton. Arsenal were again finalists in 1971 beating Liverpool 2-1 I was also at that game.

Still none the wiser as to why an aerial photo was being given though ?

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie Elipix!

I think the photo may be of the stadium where the photo is said to have been taken, ie. Layer Road in Colchester, but the rest of the details seem somewhat askew.

I'm guessing that the AAC took this shot and offered to make something of an event of giving it to the club by way of showing support for the club/community or something along those lines.

• Nostalgic Memories

Sorry not about helicopters, but as mentioned I was at the 1971 FA Cup final, this was the year Arsenal did the double, FA Cup and League Champions. I can be seen in the photo during the Cup parade, my brother Peter is just behind me, not one bit interested in what is going on, not really a great football fan !

Above: I am sitting next to Arsenal manager Bertie Mee in 1971

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                That is great Elipix and what a wonderful memory for you! Was papà Elipix also aboard this bus?

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes he was, must have been downstairs at the time of this photo, Mama elipix was also on the bus but would not come upstairs. Before we got on the bus my father took cine film of us holding both cups - must look for it.

• Maltese Air Force Agusta-Bell 47G-2 9H-AEE (225) with 9H-AAG at Luqa Malta on 21st October 1983 (Photo by John Visanich)

Comment

• AS365N2 G-TRAF (6074) as seen near Chelmsford, Essex in June 1986 (Photo by Andrew Goldsmith)

G-TRAF captured here during an inspection of the A12 near Chelmsford prior to the opening of the by-pass. One or more of the Trafalgar House subsidiaries were providing construction services to the project and whose staff were decent enough to paint a temporary 'H' for craft's visit.

Comment

Working...
                X