No announcement yet.

The Rotary Nostalgia Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS350B G-JORR (cn 1530) as seen at Oxford Kidlington in June 1988 (Photo: Peter Davis)

On lease to the Thames Valley police.

Comment

• More SA330 ..

French Air Force SA330B GAM 00-056 'OC' (cn 1582) as seen Orléans–Bricy Air Base in February 1985 (Photo: T. Laurent)

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I only noticed while copying the link for Avia's FB page that this happens to be post #330.

• Okanagan 206

Bell 206B JetRanger II C-FCQE (cn 535) as seen in Banff, Alberta, Canada on 28th September 1983 (Photo: Steve Aubury)

Comment

• Lynx and Scout

Army Air Corps Lynx AH1 XZ172 (013) with Scout XW280 (F9735) as seen in the 1970's

Comment

• Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II G-AVIG (cn. 8004) as seen at Coventry on 18th May 1979 (Photo: Rob Hodgkins)

Number 4 off Agusta's production line and the first JetRanger delivered to the UK, in March 1967.

Comment

• S-76A G-BHLY 'Glenrothes' (76-0046) as seen at Farnborough on 5th September 1980 (Photo: Terry Fletcher)

Jim Edmundson standing beside S-76A G-BISZ (76-0156) as seen at Blackpool in the late 80's early 90's (Photo: Stuart Bellis)

Comment

• Industry insider
              Industry insider commented
              Editing a comment
              1987 Sav. I ran that operation for the Fina drilling campaign using the Rowan California jack up rig. G-BISZ used to be based in Redhill and was used by Management and the UK Charter department. The Bristow above the door was for advertising when the TV cameras were showing a VIP disembarking.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie mille I.I. - much appreciated!

I seem to recall BISZ was the subject of some discussion on the former thread, including the issue of the over-door lettering. Great stuff!

Nice to see the 'Spirit' titles on BHLY, probably just prior to the name-use infringement case, which I think occurred not long after.

• Bell 206A G-AWJL (cn. 181) as seen at Farnborough in September 1968 (Photo: Jack Poelstra)

G-AWJL was the 19th JetRanger to be registered in the UK (1968) and the second Bell-built example.

Sadly, fourteen months after her delivery she was written-off in an accident at Broughton in Northamptonshire.

She was operated by Point-to-Point Helicopters.

Comment

• Industry insider
              Industry insider commented
              Editing a comment
              Its amazing how good a Bell 206 still looks 50 years later on Pop Outs and a standard simple Bell paint scheme. It still holds a magic for me.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, she's only missing her skid fairings (plus the removal of her wheels) to make her even prettier! But yes, Bell struck gold when Charles Butler transformed the D-250 (YOH-4) into the 206.

For an example with skid fairings fitted, see here: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=4947#post4947

I once wrote a small piece about the transformation of the D-250 on that 'other' place and which you can read here: https://www.pprune.org/7843547-post2056.html

• Bell 212 G-BAFN (cn.30550) as seen at Seething Airfield in Norfolk on 17th September 1978 (Photo: Phil Cossey)

Comment

• Classic Autos

Canadian Bell 206 performing a zero speed full touchdown auto (throttle to idle) .. to water!

Comment

• H-34 BiBastan (aka the French Wessex)

In seeking to advance its rotary-wing capabilities, the French Air Force commissioned two Sikorsky testbeds in the early 1960's with a view to developing an aircraft with improved performance and safety margins.

The H-35 'BiBastan' at Marignane in 1962 being flown by Jean Boulet

In cooperation with Turbomeca, two Sikorsky S-58's were modified to accept a pair of Turbomeca Bastan IV turbines providing 1,500 hp continuous usable power.

The initial prototype was given the designator H-34 BB 01 (for 'BiBastan' or twin Bastan turbine) and performed its maiden flight on 5th October 1962 at Marignane. The craft was flown by test pilot Jean Boulet. The second prototype H-34 BB 02 made its first (and only) flight on 27 June 1963.

The air force would go on to employ the SA330 Puma which Sud Aviation began developing after the BiBastan trials.

Comment

• Charles Hughesdon Garden Party in Ripley Surrey

Scenes from one of Charles' garden parties taken from the early 70's

Comment

• Army Lynx

Lynx AH7 ZD280 (cn.302) as seen at Watch Tower R12 in South Armagh in the 1980's (Photo: Ian McClure)

Comment

• G-BDBR

Agusta-Bell 206B G-BDBR (cn.8441) as seen at Thruxton in December 1986 (Photo by Michael Rice)

Imported by Alan Mann in the spring of 1975 and sold to William Monks builders merchants of Sheffield later the same year. William Monks were of course the owners of G-WIZZ which they bought two years later in 1977 having sold G-BDBR to Inverness based PLM Helicopters.

From PLM, BDBR went to Westwood Engineering of Plymouth in 1986, and which is when the above photo was captured.

Westwood would then sell BDBR to Heliwork in 1988, who in turn sold her the following year to John Woodhouse, whereupon she received her first change of registration to become G-JERY.

For a period of four months in 1990 the aircraft was owned by 'Pulsegrove' of Shoreham-by-Sea, returning to John Woodhouse who would sell the craft to a buyer in France in 1993 when she became F-GKLS.

Comment

• Bell 47G G-ANZX (cn.17) belonging to Helicopter Services as seen in Braemar, Scotland, being used to ferry materials used in the construction of the Corrour footbridge in 1959 (Photo by Bill Ewen)

Comment

• This must have been the first Helicopter Services Ltd, formed 1954 and owned by Timothy Clutterbuck (Micklefield Hall, Rickmansworth). They also operated many other bell 47's and a few Hiller's before being acquired by Autair in 1966

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ciao Elipix, lovely to see you on Nostalgia! Yes, this was the original Helicopter Services, initially operating from Gatwick, then RAF Burnaston. G-AODI was another one of their craft; they also managed G-AODK, and I probably have some more registrations betwixt my photos from that time.

• Helipixman
                            Helipixman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            From my records they had the following:-

G-ANZX Agusta Bell 47G (017)
                            G-AODI Agusta Bell 47G-1 (042)
                            G-AODJ Agusta Bell 47G-1 (044)
                            G-AODK Agusta Bell 47G-1 (045) noted as leased from Western Distributors Ltd
                            G-AOFA Hiller UH-12C (785)
                            G-AOFL Hiller UH-12B (746)
                            G-AOFV Hiller UH-12B (748)
                            G-APYL Bell-Ostermans 47D-1 (LFS.1/1953)
                            G-ARXH Bell 47D-1>G (40)
                            G-ASOL Bell 47D-1 (4)

They may have leased more ?

Helipixman

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ha ha, great stuff Elipix, that's a great list.

• Winter Nostalgia

Hiller UH-12B HB-XAH (cn.686) as seen in Zermatt, Switzerland in March 1955 (Photo by Heli-Archive)

Air Import's Hilller 12 is seen here being used to connect the resort of Zermatt, which had been cut off after a series of avalanches, with the valley below.

The following video (which is without sound) captures parts of this operation (please note how one of the rescuees is concerned with powdering her nose before being taken aloft! My, how things have changed). Also depicted are operations from a month earlier with Heliswiss Bell 47 HB-XAE (cn.689) flying supplies to stranded homes in St. Gotthard Pass in southern Switzerland.

Comment

• Air Zermatt Nostalgia

Agusta-Bell 206A HB-XCL (cn.8028) as seen in the Swiss Alps in the winter of 1968 (Photo by Günter Amann)

This was Air Zermatt’s first helicopter.

Comment

• Hughes 300 in Denmark

Hughes 300 (269A) OY-HAT (cn.184) as seen at Stauning Vestjylland Airport in Skjern, Denmark in January 1980
                              (Photo by Erik Frikke)

Comment

• G-AZZB Agusta Bell 206B JetRanger II (8327)

History:-

Norbury Insulation Group Ltd, 14.7.72
                                Ferranti Helicopters Ltd, 8.7.74
                                British Caledonian Helicopters Ltd, 28.7.80
                                Air Hanson Ltd, 2.9.81
                                Gleneagle Helicopter Services (Scotland) Ltd, 6.3.84

Cancelled 4.4.86 as written off

On 19.8.1984 at 16.30 G-AZZB was repositioning from The Royal Highland Show, Ingliston, Edinburgh to the company operating base on the airport when the pilot experienced a sudden yaw and drop. He was at 50ft and forced landed into a field and rolled over. The helicopter caught fire and was damaged beyond repair. Examination found no cause !

I hope to add more nostalgia from my photographic archives each week.

Helipixman
                                Last edited by Helipixman; 23rd January 2019, 18:24.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Great stuff Elipix! Do you happen to recall who the driver was?

• Helipixman
                                  Helipixman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Not sure about name til I look in my records, this will also give exact date. I remember he was wearing white gloves.. did all Ferranti pilots wear white gloves ?

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  White gloves were standard kit for all Gatwick-based Ferranti drivers, and at other bases too, only that once beyond the scope of my godfather's scrutiny, some (perhaps understandably) dispensed with them. Ferranti had a number of non-VIP contracts including Trinity Lighthouse, the Wimpy Laboratories ship and others, and for these the Colonel relented somewhat. While most of the drivers (to the best of my knowledge) were not overly enthusiastic about donning this attire, there were those who were, some even continuing the custom in their post-Ferranti years, the late John Dicken (Hambros, G-AWOM & G-BBCA, then Glenwood, G-DWMI) being one of them. The customers however tended to enjoy it, whether for its novelty aspect or for the expression of service which the Colonel intended, and would frequently remark on the practice.

• G-BKMJ/G-CYII

An interesting photo of a Bell 206L-1 Longranger II at Cranfield wearing a false registration.

It is actually G-BKMJ owned by Air Hanson Sales Ltd, 6.1.83 to 15.6.84 with the false markings of G-CYII. The reason behind this was to attract a particular buyer by the name of Charles Yates.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  It just so happens that I was present as these letters (adhesive) were being changed, after the craft had landed and in anticipation of Charles' soon arrival.

• G-BATY

Bell 206A JetRanger (52) seen at Fairoaks during ownership of Alan Mann Helicopters Ltd, 27.3.73 to 27.10.76
                                CAA website states it was exported to USA but became C-GXJK

In the past we have mentioned JetRangers with black skids as Black Socks ! Well this is the first I have seen with a black bum !

Photo Helipixman archive

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Well well Elipix, you simply never cease to amaze! I mean I thought there wasn't an 'A' or 'B' reg UK 206 that I wasn't familiar with, and here you are introducing G-BATY .. a craft I have never before encountered! Great stuff amico! I'm sure there's an interesting story behind her import, perhaps a lack of availability from Agusta's production line, because this was a time when 'everyone' was buying JetRangers, and Agusta struggled throughout the 70's to keep-up with the demand across the European market. She's also a very early 206 from the US, no. 52 off the line in Texas, and I discovered initially registered to Bell as N7852S.

Yes, we have featured a couple of 'Black Socks' (aka Suffolk Sheep) JetRangers, indeed the first post of this thread. 'Black Bum' hmm .. I think the Colonel would have said: 'Yer bum's all dubh!'

• G-NORM Bell 206B JetRanger III c/n 2401

Initially registered as G-BKPF to Air Hanson Ltd, 9.3.83 to 18.4.83 before being transferred to G-NORM for Norman Bailey Helicopters Ltd, 18.4.83 to 26.11.84 Sadly this helicopter was involved in a fatal accident at Parwich, Near Ashbourne, Derbyshire. After dropping off a passenger it lifted to the hover, a skid hit rising ground and the main rotor went through the cabin killing the pilot. The remaining passenger was able to vacate the helicopter after it rolled over.

Photo (Helipixman Collection)

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Nice one Elipix! Trying to figure out where this may have been taken, but am unable to place it. Never really had anything to do with this craft. Sad about the tragedy surrounding her demise.

• Some more golden oldie JetRangers.....

1. G-AVIG Agusta bell 206A JetRanger of Bristow Helicopters Ltd
                                2. G-AXMM Bell 206A JetRanger of Court Line Aviation Ltd
                                3. G-AYBE Agusta Bell 206A JetRanger of United marine (1939) Ltd

All from the Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Some lovely shots there Elipix!

G-AVIG of course being the very first 206 in the UK and seen in your photo wearing 'black socks' as did a number of the early JetRangers. I suspect this photo was taken shortly after her delivery, ie. the spring of 1967. There is a colour shot of her on page 1 from about the same period here http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...?p=508#post508 and she is also featured further up the page a decade later at Coventry wearing 'classic' Bristow colours.

G-AXMM was one of the early Bell-built 206's delivered to the UK, the 10th according to my records, and was bought by Bill Armstong (Autair) who operated it for/with Court Line. Bill being a good friend of the Colonel, as was Roger Woodward who went on to buy her in 1976 and later had her registered as G-ROGR which Aviafora's co-founder Filippo (Phil Croucher) flew. The colour scheme she wore in your photo was applied in the latter part of her tenure with Court, putting the photo (at a guess) between 1972-74. Sadly, this craft perished in December 2005.

I came across G-AYBE repeatedly during the 70's, and she was often to be seen with her ground handling wheels attached, even while flying (as in your photo of G-AXMM) but I cannot recall much about her owner, although I have foggy memories to do with her being leased at one point.

All great stuff!

• I remember Roger Woodward too, and photographed his machines G-ATFH, G-BAKG, G-AXMM, G-ROGR and G-COIN. I seem to remember during a visit to ex Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson (with my father also an ex Arsenal goalkeeper) who lived in Brookmans Park seeing one of his JetRangers in his garden. I think Bob Wilson lived next door to him.

G-AYBE this only had one owner in the UK.... United Marine Ltd (so ops would be Point to Point) 9.4.70 - 18.5.77
                                She then went to France as F-GALU before returning to the UK as G-CBHH on 22.3.96, re-registered as G-GUST on 30.8.96 before being withdrawn from use on 29.3.11

Comment

• More G-AYBE ..

Agusta-Bell 206A G-AYBE (cn.8192) as seen at AAC Middle Wallop on 30th July 1971 (Photo by Ray Barber)

Seen here at Wallop, still with her wheels!

Elipix ha scritto: .. this only had one owner in the UK.... United Marine Ltd (so ops would be Point to Point) ..
                                  This is actually what I meant, that she was operating under a separate name from that to which she was registered. Do you have any details of who was behind United Marine, in case this rings any bells .. or in this case, an Agusta-Bell!

Comment

• Helipixman
                                    Helipixman commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I have to admit I am stumped there is so little information about United Marine (1939) Ltd.

Their first helicopter seems to have been Brantly B.2B G-ASXE which was jointly owned with Kebbell Developments Ltd (Charles Kebbell). They have connections to the Absalom family through marriage. Other United Marine helicopters have been G-AWOY, G-AYBE, G-BAGJ and G-BATT most of which have been operated by Point to Point Helicopters (Absalom family)

Some connections but still unsure of who was behind United Marine ?

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Well done, as ever, Elipix! You've got the cerebral gears working again. IIRC it was indeed Rowland Absalom (in partnership with Charles Kebbell) and yes, some of the craft registered to this entity flew under the Point to Point banner.

How I should appreciate happening upon a photo of G-AYBE being flown by Rowland's daughter Gay.

• This weeks offering for the thread... two more Agusta Bell JetRangers

G-AXKF Agusta Bell 206A*B JetRanger (8170)
                                  This was owned by Bristow Helicopters Ltd, 18.7.69 to 11.8.69 went to Indonesia (Bristow), returned to Bristow in UK 28.3.73 to 30.6.76 before returning to Indonesia again. Its seen with the name "Golden Hind"

G-BCVZ Agusta Bell 206B JetRanger (8432)
                                  Owned by Camlet Helicopters Ltd 29.1.75 to 14.3.75 then Alan Mann Helicopters Ltd 14.3.75 to 28.1.80 then went to Ireland as EI-BIJ and is now in France as F-HCRI
                                  Seen in the image below with Colt Car titles so must have been leased to them at some stage ?

Pictures from Helipximan collection

Comment

• Nice to see G-AXKF, I have nothing of her in my collection. 'Golden Hind' .. hmm .. yes well if the lads from Bristows flew her out to Indonesia I suppose it may have seemed like a round-the-world trip but most likely she was placed aboard a ship.

Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                                    Seen in the image below with Colt Car titles so must have been leased to them at some stage ?
                                    Yes, leased to Colt prior to the arrival of their first Ecureuil G-MORR. My best guess for your photo would be 1977-78.

G-BCVZ with some of Colt's cars

Comment

• S-76B's in the 90's

S-76B's PH-KHB (76-0340) and G-UKLU (76-0329) in a field adjoining the Courtyard Hotel in Milton Keynes on 13th July 1997 (Photo by Martin Pole)

Seen here while providing a shuttle service for visitors to the 1997 Grand Prix at Silverstone.

On 20th December of the same year, PH-KHB was written off when it inadvertently entered the water during an approach to Platform L7-A in the North Sea. G-UKLU (then registered to Schreiner North Sea Helicopters) was returned to the Dutch register as PH-NZU and was finally withdrawn from use in 2014. In March 2019 her remains were seen on Vancouver Island in Canada, the airframe having been stripped of major parts.

Comment

• Found this interesting tinplate toy in a shop in Callander, Scotland and purchased it for my collection (£10) It was made in Japan and is a Sikorsky S-55 Police Patrol !

Only found one online (without rotors) and that was selling for nearly $90

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                                          Savoia commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Yes, this classic tin toys will have gained value over the years, especially if they are in good condition. Nice find.

• G-BAVI Model

Received this message over the weekend:

Dear Savoia

I am pleased to attach a couple of photos of the model of G-BAVI which I have now completed.

My thanks to Aviafora for supplying me with photos and information relating to this helicopter and which made my job much easier.

With regards

Roy Sanders

Comment

Working...
                                        X