No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazelle in the snow, landing on Ship in Bergen ready for trip home (Circa 1992)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting one, thanks Fene Strong! Looks like high skids on AH.1 (quite unusual)

What are those 'hooks' on the skid legs?

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Brackets to hold the squaddies skiis in place to facilitate their 'off piste' R&R — think of the British equivalent of surf boards attached to the skids of 'Big Duke 6's' Huey!

• Fene Strong
      Fene Strong commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't think i could ever say Arctic Training was R&R, but still enjoyable.

• An anti-aircraft warfare device for rookies... Cheap and effective

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Possibly something created by someone who's neighbour runs a Gaz!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
    Interesting one, thanks Fene Strong! Looks like high skids on AH.1 (quite unusual)

What are those 'hooks' on the skid legs?
    I think you may find they are not high skids as they are fitted in the normal skid position. On high gear the front skids mount onto the jacking points which are a little lower than the mountings for the regular skids. Also, the front end of the skids (the part which curves upwards) is longer on the high gear.

Comment

• IAC 241

Originally posted by Helipixman View Post

IAC 241 SA342L c/n 1854 seen at Casement Airfield June 1981 (Helipixman collection)
      To address some comments from Helipixman's photo of Irish Air Corps Gazelle 241.

This pic was taken shortly after she arrived. She was painted the same as 237, but in a lighter red (orange) colour as they didn't have the correct match. The Irish flag was put on her tail a year later.

There are several pics of 237/ 241 flying as a pair and you'll notice 241 without the flag as well as having a slightly different colour red as mentioned.

I shall post some more pics of both aircraft up ahead.

Hope this answers the questions.

Brgds

Joe

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your kind explanation, Joe. So if I understand well, orange belly should be seen on the photo?

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Joe, much appreciated.

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Joe Gazelle

I would love to see the photos with the slightly different colour on 241.

Helipixman

• SA342L L808 (cn.1655) from 8 Squadron based at Rayak Air Base in Béqaa, Lebanon 2018

Comment

• HA-LFH (aka Tweety Bird) NFI

Hopefully Steve would know missing details

Comment

• G-BZYD has now been officially registered to Carl David Meek on 13.12.18

G-CBZL is noted on g-info as an open case pending for de-registration having suffered an accident way back on 22.11.03

Helipixman

Comment

• Helipixman - thanks for making contact. I've owned G-BZYD (AKA XZ329) for just over a week and flown 6.5 hours in that time. I read this site cover to cover before making the leap to a Gazelle. So far - loving every minute. Here's some photos.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome aboard Carl! Wishing you many pleasurable & safe flying hours in your lovely Gazelle

• Buongiorno Carlo, un caloroso benvenuto in Aviafora! / Good Morning Carl, a very warm welcome to Aviafora!

We are glad to have you aboard. Thank you too for the photos.

Our aim is to create a family atmosphere on the forum, in particular between our members.

We have had a number of people who have bought Gazelles and spare parts as a result of ads on our 'Gazelles for Sale' pages and/or through direct contact with our members. When it comes to the buying and selling of aircraft and spares, we network our members with those who possess a proven track record of behaving professionally, who value quality and who are themselves dependable.

Aviafora currently has 25+ members who are Gazelle owners.

Elipix, well done in reaching out to Carlo! This is the kind of pro-active and welcoming attitude we wish to encourage, so again many thanks!

Originally posted by carlmeek View Post
            Helipixman - thanks for making contact. I've owned G-BZYD (AKA XZ329) for just over a week and flown 6.5 hours in that time. I read this site cover to cover before making the leap to a Gazelle. So far - loving every minute. Here's some photos.
            Great stuff Carlo, that's what we like to hear and what a leap it is .. from Enstrom to Gaz! When you have time, we'd love to hear a little about your impressions when you first flew the Gaz and what you think of her handling qualities.

Also, and if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question about your Gaz conversion. Did the pilot who trained you address something known here as the 'Tail Swing Bite' and which you can read about here.

Once again welcome aboard. I join Zishelix in wishing you many safe and happy hours with your new craft, and oh .. btw .. we have a tradition of naming our member's aircraft (a process in which you have no say) so you'll doubtless see this name appear once we choose it!

Btw, I 'think' G-CARL may still be available in case this appeals.

Regards

Savoia

Comment

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              For some reason none of the registrations in the sequence G-CARA to G-CARZ have been issued and to add to this G-MEEK has already been used on an Enstrom 480 for another Mr Meek.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              This is just the CAA being silly and wanting to keep this sequence for themselves, G-CAAA, CAAB, CAAC and so on, but they are never going to use these registrations and it would be better for them to release them to the public, unless they have some 'compelling' argument as to why they cannot do so. I mean in the 1960's the CAA used to run a number of aircraft - I remember various CAA-owned HS125's, G-ATPC, G-OCAA and G-CCAA spring to mind, but they had plenty of other aircraft also such as HS748 G-AVXJ as well as De Havilland Doves G-ALFT and G-ALFU and many others ..

Regarding G-MEEK, quite the coincidence really that there were two Meek's with Enstroms!

• Hello Carl and welcome to Aviafora and thanks for some wonderful photos of your new Gazelle. Its great to see you on here.

I remember photographing your Gazelle at one of the Helitech events at Duxford.

Look forward to seeing more shots of her in the future.

Helipixman

Comment

• Gazelle Aircrew Manual Available

A Gazelle Aircrew Operating Manual, available at a good price in case anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gazelle-hel...oAAOSwHEZcF3yf

Comment

Thanks for your kind explanation, Joe. So if I understand well, orange belly should be seen on the photo?
                Zishelix, the red paint was added four years after this photo in mid-1985 along with the Aer Corp emblem seen on 237.

Once these were added, both aircraft basically looked identical except for their numbers. The aircraft used to fly using the callsigns Golf 237 and Golf 241.

Originally posted by Helipixman View Post

Hi Joe Gazelle

I would love to see the photos with the slightly different colour on 241.

Helipixman
                Helipixman, I am going to go through my photos and scan something for you.

Rgds

Joe

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for info, Joe!

• SA341F2 ZU-RED (cn.1285) as seen at Port Elizabeth's Verwoerd Airport on 2nd December 2018 (Photo by Timothy Brandt)

SA341G VH-WLS (cn.1361) as seen at Bare Island in Australia on 23rd September 1977

This Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service Gazelle is pictured engaged in one of its first ever assignments, and which involved the removal of dumped cars from Bare Island in south-eastern Sydney. The recovered cars were thereafter loaded onto trucks and taken to Menai tip. The Gazelle pilot was Richard Howell and the crewman Ian Callaghan.

Zis, un piccolo regalo di natale!

SA341G(S) N76WH (cn.1238) as seen at Van Nuys Airport in California c.1977

Originally posted by Fene Strong View Post
                Don't think I could ever say Arctic Training was R&R, but still enjoyable.
                Yes, I am sure it was quite rigorous, but I was thinking of the CO acceding to a request from some of the lads to borrow a Gaz for the purpose of enjoying some recreational skiiing — and which I accept is about as likely as spotting boars of the winged variety, although in some defence forces such things used to happen!

And finally, forum control have this morning informed me that they have spotted what they believe to be a small number of Snow Gazelles winging their way towards Shrieking Gazelles .. so, we need to be on the lookout!

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Whoa! 'Santa' Sav, thanks a million! You made my day

• Helipixman, Zishelix - this is what I have for now, will post more in the new year.

Aer Corps Gazelles 237 and 241 over Powerscourt Estate in Enniskerry

You can't see a big difference in the colours in the above photo, but in real life it was noticeable.

237 had bright red paint

while 241 initially had a more orange colour

Rgds

Joe

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joe, thanks for these photos. Also, do you know when 241 & 237 were shipped to Marignane, France (then Aerospatiale) for overhaul?

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Joe

You can really see the different colours, one more orange and the other brighter red. Had always assumed they were the same until you kindly pointed it out.

Joe, thanks for these photos. Also, do you know when 241 & 237 were shipped to Marignane, France (then Aerospatiale) for overhaul?
                Did they ever go to Marignane for overhaul?

I think I still have some copies of the tech records for 241, so I will check for you over Xmas.

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve, thanks in advance! Please if you can also check in the records does she had test-ferry F-W??? reg while in France for overhaul.

• Sorry for slow replies .... a few things....

For a previous aircraft I registered G-CARL and my registration was rejected. CAA told me that all G-CA** are reserved for CANADA of all things (I guess back in the day!)

My first impressions of the gazelle. At the time I was very rusty. My Enstrom had been grounded for around 6 months (long story), so I'd only been flying fixed wings. First impression was how unbelievably sensitive the cyclic was. Compared to the Enstrom where the controls are non-hydraulic - it's a different flying experience. The Enstrom has an electric trim, but you have to move the cyclic manually, then trim - so you build up a bit of arm muscle! It took me a short while to get used to the crazy light controls of the Gazelle. After that the impression was quite simply how easy it was to fly - of course, I'm used to a manual throttle and having a fully governed turbine is a total delight.

At first the checklists seem very long and cumbersome, and easy to miss bits. In the first few hours it's hard to appreciate what's essential, what's going to bite you - so checklist paranoia sinks in. Once I got to about 10 hours the lists were mostly memorised, and importantly I'd learned all critical actions.

The next thing to delight me was autorotations. In my Enstrom I felt quite anxious about them. The process is ... enter auto-rotation, drop the collective, at which point the rotor RPM had already drooped out of the green. So flare, build up a bit of rotor speed, and then you end up chasing it with the collective. Gazelle was totally different - just enter auto ... and no need to do a thing. Unbelievable in my book - it took me a few goes to convince myself it was really an auto, and really this easy.

WRT the tail bite - I had read a lot about this, and read accident reports. The instructor really majored on a few key points - firstly to keep pedal turns slow and not allow them to accelerate out of hand, and also to fly smoothly - none of the showing off, massive quicksteps, etc. The rumour of a gazelle just spinning off on its own without the pilot provoking it was very much dismissed out of hand - fly sensibly and within limits and all is good.

So - I've logged about 13 hours so far, and I'm loving every minute - I'm now doing everything from memory rather than checklist, and flying is getting smoother and smoother. I'm not one for showing off, I think it's awesome just to fly well - no need to arse about, so hopefully that mentality will keep me safe for many more hours to come. This week I've landed at 5 airfields, 1 pub, and 2 gardens.

The next challenges for me are getting fuel at home - nearly there, I've got a trailer at least, just need a supply. After that, a year of lots more visits here and France, and some more pubs and hotels.

Comment

• Ciao Carlo!

Thanks for the reply. No pressure when it comes to timing, just whenever you are able.

CAA told me that all G-CA** are reserved for CANADA of all things.
                  Well, they are still just being silly and ought to release this sequence.

Having yet to fly the Gaz I am always interested in hearing people's impressions of the craft, especially given that so many really enjoy flying it.

First impression was how unbelievably sensitive the cyclic was.
                  It sounds as though it could be similar to the JetRanger, which is pretty sensitive too.

.. you have to move the cyclic manually, then trim ..
                  This is the same as the Hughes 500, which among the types I have flown ranks top of the list in terms of pure flying fun, although for long distance cruising I prefer the Ecureuil or 407 .. or something else which I won't mention here and which is obviously the best helicopter in the world.

It took me a short while to get used to the crazy light controls of the Gazelle.
                  On the 206 there are frictions which may be applied to the controls. Sometimes leaving a certain amount of friction on (especially on the cyclic) can assist those new to the type. Does the Gaz have the same?

Also, on the 206, if you let go of the cyclic it will simply (and fairly quickly) fall away. Usually for'ard with duals fitted, and aft without. Is this the same with the Gaz or is there a breakthrough force which keeps it roughly centred (obviously the latter for those birds fitted with SAS .. when its switched on).

From what you are describing, I'm getting the impression that the Gaz might fly something like a super-responsive 206?

.. enter auto-rotation, drop the collective, at which point the rotor RPM had already drooped out of the green.
                  Again, this is just like the 500.

Gazelle was totally different - just enter auto ... and no need to do a thing. Unbelievable in my book - it took me a few goes to convince myself it was really an auto, and really this easy.
                  Ha ha, excellent Carlo! Well, sometimes we are gifted by the industry when they get it right, so its good to hear that the Gaz performs well during autos. As you probably know, the two-bladed Bell's are pretty good at this too — plenty of inertia in the main rotor.

WRT the tail bite - I had read a lot about this, and read accident reports. The instructor really majored on a few key points.
                  Great stuff Carlo, for when the Gaz entered the civilian market in earnest, this phenomenon was responsible for a spate of accidents and seemed (at the time) to be misunderstood. Thankfully though, there seems to have been a concerted effort among those handling Gaz conversions, to educate themselves on the matter and pass this on to new owners/flyers, and which seems to have done the trick.

I'm not one for showing off, I think it's awesome just to fly well - no need to arse about, so hopefully that mentality will keep me safe for many more hours to come.
                  For sure this is the right approach Carlo, and we certainly pray that you will be kept safe and sound during your aerial endeavours. However, don't be surprised when further down the line after having built-up a fair few hours, you gain a synergy with the craft which allows you to express a natural confidence which you might occasionally display. For who in their right mind can deny the exhilaration of a nose-down departure rapidly gaining speed at a moderate height above the ground followed by a sprightly rate of climb leading into a turn! I mean these and other things are to be experienced from time-to-time. For I write as one who has been 'accused' of occasionally displaying 'expressive flying', and to which I fairly admit and put down to my genes!

After that, a year of lots more visits here and France, and some more pubs and hotels.
                  Great stuff! But bear in mind that as part of the 'family culture' we nurture on Avia, we encourage our members to visit each other when passing by, so when you head over to France, please make a left turn once or twice when approaching the coast and head a few miles east to Avia member Xavier 'XB' and drop in to Zomergem Heliport. Likewise, when you head up north, be sure to drop in to Stefano at Crab Tree Farm. And, when you do visit Steve, please take a packet of dog biscuits with you and lure both of his Labradors out to your Gaz and take a photo of them next to it, for I have been wanting to see his Labs next to a Gazelle for a while now!

Comment

• I haven't flown a 206, so I can't compare I'm afraid. The Gazelle does have frictions but I found (particularly the collective) to be unhelpful - during some early spot turns I was being jerky up and down and it was all because friction was applied. Once completely removed it was much easier to fly.

The cyclic does 'fall away' when let go - but the Gazelle has a couple of tricks up its sleeve. First is "Stick Feel". This is a switch on the panel that uses an electromagnet to hold the stick in position. It can be used on the ground or in flight and holds the stick still. To set it's position you hold a button on the cyclic, move it to where you want it to stay, then let go. This is very useful if you want to take your hand off at any time.... however it gets REALLY useful if the Gas has SAS installed (as mine does). SAS has three gyros that automatically compensate for attitude changes and work alongside Stick Feel to keep the helicopter stable. It's very good and in the cruise means you can take hands and feet completely off for several minutes at a time. It reduces workload. I'm starting to find my own rhythm of when to use it and when not to. I'm using it on startup and on the ground, and I'm switching it off for take off. Once established in stable cruise, back on again. Then back off again for landing. Reason? It gets in the way and proves as an irritation when turning, descending, etc, but it's great for the cruise.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie Carlo, all great stuff! The 'stick feel' you describe sounds identical to the 'force trim' found on the bigger Bells, and which as you say can be pretty useful pre-take off, especially when the frictions are off. Is this 'stick feel' fitted to all Gazelles or just those which are SAS-equipped?

I forgot to ask how you are adjusting to the difference in cruise speed between the Enstrom and the Gaz .. for example, finding yourself at the same inbound reporting point, but with less time in hand to set-up for joining!

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                    SA342L L808 (cn.1655) from 8 Squadron based at Rayak Air Base in Béqaa, Lebanon 2018

When you zoom in, you will see that the c/n actually reads 1665. This is the former UAE serial 131, sold to Lebanon (c/n 1655 was an Iraqi machine).

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie mille Jos, records amended accordingly. With the benefit everyone's input we are gradually sorting-out what's what among the Gazelle population!

• The Snow Gazelles Begin Today!

Welcome to Aviafora's Annual Snow Gazelles season!
                    • Our Snow Gazelles season will run for a fortnight, from today until 2nd January, during which time we welcome the posting of as many Snow Gazelles as possible!
                    • How can I join in? By posting a Snow Gazelle photo! If you don't have your own, no problems, simply select one from our Snow Gazelles Album, then right click, copy and paste into your post. If you have any problems, just post the URL and we will add the photo for you.
                    • Can I post non-Snow Gazelles during this season? Of course! But perhaps you might like to conclude your post by adding a Snow Gazelle from the above mentioned album!
                    • Can I post old Snow Gazelles? Most definitely! The Snow Gazelles come out each year, much like decorations, and we also have quite a few new ones to display.
                    • Can I post a Snow Gazelle after 2nd January? Certainly. The Snow Gazelles season is simply a time of 'concentrated' Snow Gazelles.
                    • Please be advised that each Snow Gazelle post will receive a special Snow Gazelle header to mark this special season.

SA342J F-HGUN (cn.1058) as seen at Courchevel on 8th March 2014 (Photo by Gregory Manchon)

ALAT SA342 'BLD' dans les Alps Français 2009 (Photo par André Bour)

Comment

• HB-ZEU at Samedan 11.1.09

(Photo by Thomas Schmid)

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A nice shot Elipix. The red Gazelles certainly go well with the winter weather. ZEU is of course a Gaz with a unique construction number, and may we hope one day become a Crabtree cab.

• What's better than a Snow Gazelle ?

Two Snow Gazelles..... E7-SHA & E7-ABI (NFI)

So here is a challenge can anyone find three snow Gazelles ?

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very nice!

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                      So here is a challenge can anyone find three snow Gazelles ?

3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron Gazelles on exercise in Norway in January 1979
                      (Photo courtesy of Avia member Warty)

Comment

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice

I thought you would remember this shot... I think 4 will be a very hard shot to find

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha ha, yes I think four could be a trick. Then again .. if four or more Gazelles went to Norway for one of these winter exercises, and if they were congregated in the same place at the same time, and if someone took a photo of them, then it may be possible!

• Zishelix,

Being that its Christmas, I decided to go to Baldonnel this afternoon and check up on the maintenance history of 237 & 241 for you.

With the help of former colleagues in the wing's maintenance section, I established that both aircraft never went to Marignane. All maintenance was performed in house by the Aer Corps at Baldonnel, however the Aerospatiale tech personnel did visit from time to time and carried out work on the Gazelles and the Dauphins.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Joe

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good deed indeed, Joe Thanks a lot!

By the way, any chance to look for pre-delivery pics of 237 or 241?

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie Joe! This was very kind and much in keeping with the 'family culture' we promote on Avia!

• My twopence for the theme

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is a lovely shot Zis!

• Originally posted by joe gazelle View Post
                      Zishelix,

Being that its Christmas, I decided to go to Baldonnel this afternoon and check up on the maintenance history of 237 & 241 for you.

With the help of former colleagues in the wing's maintenance section, I established that both aircraft never went to Marignane. All maintenance was performed in house by the Aer Corps at Baldonnel, however the Aerospatiale tech personnel did visit from time to time and carried out work on the Gazelles and the Dauphins.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Joe

Hi Joe

That ties up with my findings. I couldn’t find any records of 241 going to France for overhaul.

Regards

Steve

And here's my contribution, Snow Gazelles at Crab Tree Farm!

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for confirmation, Steve. Nice photo as well

Btw, when we can expect to see your #1663 in the air again?

• Avia member Vitaly snow departure in RA-05714

RA-05706 snow departure

Comment

• Sadly no snow in the UK Right now, quite the opposite! So the best I can do is a couple of videos of an Approach into Shoreham for the 24 numbers today....
                        https://www.facebook.com/carl.meek/videos/10161304021225405/
                        https://www.facebook.com/carl.meek/videos/10161304020900405/

Comment

• Helipixman
                          Helipixman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for uploading more videos...

Regarding your preferred registrations G-CARL or G-MEEK both being unavailable, how about doing what some Aviaforan members have done and register your Gazelle in Guernsey. You could perhaps then have 2-CARL or 2-MEEK. Or how about the Isle of Man register you could try for M-EEKS, M-EEKY or M-CARL. Just a thought !

No snow here either and I'm in Scotland !!!, actually quite mild, sadly even if we did have snow there is only one Scottish owned Gazelle and I am sure its still at Stapleford Tawney, Essex in storage.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I believe it was 'XB' who shared with me that Guernsey do not presently accept craft registered on a Permit to Fly. I may be wrong.

• HB-ZFD at Courchevel in February 17th, 2012 (photo: Romain Baheu)

The same machine also featured in one of the previous Snow Gazelles editions

Comment

• For some, Christmas is a most special time of year, while for others 'bah humbug' might better describe their attitude towards this season. Whichever camp we may belong to, or perhaps somewhere in between, I believe that Christmas, as with many things, is what we make it. For my part, I try to make Christmas something special, a time when memorable moments are created and heartfelt love and unity are freely expressed, and it is my hope that these blessings would be encountered by all who desire them.

In between the food and drink, the movies and discussions and numerous other activities, we do well to remind ourselves just why it is that there is a holiday at this time, and in this regard I offer the following verse:

On Bethlehem's morn, our Lord and Christ was born.
                          A priceless gift, a treasury, who came to set men free.
                          Wise men still seek the carpenter's son,
                          the One who taught us all to pray 'thy will be done!'

In America, Christmas is prefixed by the holiday of 'Thanksgiving', and I believe that as the year draws to a close, it is a good thing to offer thanks for the blessings we have received, whether they be great or small, for there are always things we can be thankful for, even amidst times of pain and sorrow.

Here on Aviafora, I am thankful for our little community, and wish to express my gratitude to our core members including XB, Stefano, Elipix, Jos and of course Zishelix, who kindly helps maintain the dialogue on Shrieking Gazelles throughout the year. I am also glad for our less frequent contributors including Fene Strong, Andy and others.

As a community we have been pleased to welcome several new members during the past year, including Gazelle owners Steve W, Alexander, Kirill and Carlo, and to whom we repeat the greeting 'welcome aboard'. As a site we continue to experience slow but steady growth in our readership – and for which we are also grateful.

My thanks to Simon Eardley for his assistance with this year’s Christmas Gazelle – and for whose support I am most appreciative.

'Super thanks' go to Aviafora’s co-founder Filippo (Phil Croucher) who first suggested this forum and who graciously continues to host this site. If you enjoy reading Aviafora, then please consider contacting Filippo for any ground school training requirements that you (or anyone you know) may have.

Wishing our members, readers and occasional visitors, a blessèd Christmas and a very happy New Year.

Savoia

Comment

Working...
                          X