No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Grischa SA341G HB-XFW (WA1124) as seen in Switzerland in 1976 (Photo by Rolf Zimmermann)

SA342MV as seen at Abidjan Airport in Côte d'Ivoire on 12th September 2019

SA341B ZA736 (WA1805) from 29 BATUS Flight as seen at Calgary Airport on 12th September 2019 (Photo by Natasha Selbstaedt)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      Sounds ideal, good choice.

You had an MD500?

The chopper spotter was supplied for my 600, and I had a 500 and 520 on long time loans/leases.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew about the 600 but not about the 500 and 520.

Handling wise, would you agree that the 500 is among the most responsive of the types you have flown?

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        The 500 is definitely a pilots machine, just like the Gazelle. It has a tail rotor not a fenestron and is a lot more responsive, but you would expect that with a tail rotor. But both types have good features and not so good features.

Now the 530FF with the 4 blade tr and 6 blade head and C30 FADEC engine takes some beating, a real mean mean machine, but it’s still a 2 plus 2, not a 4/5 seat helicopter like the Gazelle.

I did a 500 and 600 rating at the MDHI factory in Mesa, Phoenix, Arizona in the USA.

Plus a little time in the 900/902, that’s a pilots helicopter too.

The 600 with the tail rotor should be a nice helicopter.

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie grazie Stefano, really appreciate you writing about this. I have around 1,000 hours on 500's, with about 200 hours on the 530F civilian model with five-blades, and which blades are slightly longer than those on the regular 500. This was flying in Papua New Guinea with constantly high DA, so the added performance was most welcome.

Among the many jobs I performed with the 500, from long-lining and seismic support to surveying active volcanoes and dropping-off pay to strings of coffee plantations, by far the most demanding work was stream sedimentation sampling, where we would insert geologists into tiny creeks so that they could pan for gold, with the objective of homing-in on those tributaries which showed most promise. The clearance into these streams was minimal and the geologist and his assistant were invariably let off onto a rock or boulder on which you would balance the skid. The extraction was the same, and you could spend all day moving these teams from one stream to another - in the middle of the jungle and all before GPS. There is no aircraft I can think of which could have done this work as effectively as the 500. She was a dream. Even when you got a lead-footed geo who clumsily alighted or boarded the craft (despite the various briefings) the 'little bird' would take it in her stride, and in terms of accessing the tightest spots, again, I just can't think of another aircraft which could touch the 500 in terms of its ability to manoeuvre with almost pinpoint precision, sometimes having to weave between layers of massive overhanging branches in order to access a drop-off or pick-up point. Much of this stability is of course due to the 500's fully articulated five-bladed rotor system. A fair number of the drivers who worked with me were ex-Kiwi deer hunting pilots, and these guys literally swore by the 500.

Denissimo has also spoken well of the six-bladed military ship and I imagine this would be an outstanding experience.

I was also at Mesa, at the beginning of 1990 when the company I joined had just placed one of the largest ever civilian orders for 500's, indeed there were three of ours on the line at the time of my visit. I also got to visit the Apache production line which in those days was just next door.

In terms of private use, I think the 500 is really only good for two people plus gear, but that's just me.

Would absolutely love to have a go in the 900, and of course I will one day have to resolve the matter of finally finding-out for myself what all this 'fuss' is about concerning the Gaz!

Ciao

• SA341G N46ZZ (cn.1035) as seen in Costigliole d'Asti in September 2019 (Photo courtesy of Fabio)

This craft is currently for sale in the GazMart

Comment

• Change of Ownership N250KS

N250KS SA341F2, c/n 1598, changed ownership to Eric Kramer (in Johnson, Kansas), on 30-Aug-2019.

Comment

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          This is probably the owner of Kramer Harvesting LLC, a haulage and trucking company in Johnson, Kansas. He also owns an Enstrom 280FX N53PC and a Beechcraft V35B Bonanza N4059S

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Jos e Elipix. This was one of the Gazelles imported by Chris Bateman of Rotor Leasing in Colorado.

• SA341G N341GG (cn.1182) as seen at Goodwood Airfield on 14th September 2019

The 'Haelo Fan' seen here arriving from Belgium for the Goodwood Revival.

SA341B as seen at SPTA on 13th September 2019 (Photo by Ian Harding)

SA341B G-BZYD (WA1648) as seen on the south coast of England, possibly on 15th September 2019

Avia member Carlo with the Meek-Machine over the weekend!

Some Monday Nostalgia!

SA341G C-FTCS (cn.1036) as seen in Canada in 1974

This craft seen here wearing a slightly modified registration .. for cinematographic purposes!

Had Zis been around he may have been able to tell us something more about this craft. Elipix, have you come across this bird before?

Notice how she is wearing a primitive form of snow skis.

The Gaz Squad arriving at the Weston Air Festival in Weston-super-Mare on 22nd June 2019

- Special Alouette II Offer -

3 x Alouette II's for sale together with four containers of spare parts including engines, blades, gearboxes and transmissions being offered for $575,000

Click on the Alouette below for further details

Comment

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          C-FTCS.... first registered as N41184 then imported into Canada as CF-TGB 1973 became C-FTCS and either owned or operated by Shirley Helicopters and Highwood before being cancelled on 3.6.94

The movie was called Sweet Movie

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Elipix, much appreciated! Interesting that she actually once had a 'CF' reg.

Very interesting too that she was with Shirley Helicopters. We've showcased a couple of very nice Shirley Gazelles, in particular C-GSHL and of course the former 'X-Craft' which was a Shirley Gaz when she flew as C-GDUG.

• SA342M HA-HSG (cn.3615) at Breighton Airfield in Yorkshire on 16th September 2019
        (Video courtesy of Stefano)

A little piece of Gazelle history was made yesterday as the UK's very first privately-owned SA342M took to the skies and accomplished a successful sortie above the pleasant pastures of East Riding. The flight was crewed by Crabtrees Senior and Junior.

Comment

• Martin Wood

It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Martin Wood, founder and owner of MW Helicopters, a company which played a significant role in cultivating the civilian use of the Gazelle throughout the UK and beyond.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Wood family as well as the staff at Stapleford.

RIP Martin

Comment

• SA342L1 YU-HFF (cn.155) as seen in Nikinci, Serbia on 14th September 2019 (Photo by Dragan Trifunović)

Comment

• SA342M1 F-MGCF (cn.2164) as seen at Aérodrome de Cerny, La Ferté-Alais in May 2018 (Photo by Edwin)

Lebanese Air Force SA342L L807 as seen in Lebanon in September 2019

Gaz Squad Gazelles at Eastbourne on 17th August 2019 (Photo by Ahmadi)

You are welcome to like and follow Avia's FB page.

Comment

• SA341B XZ318 (WA1609) as seen at Edinburgh Turnhouse Airport in 1980 (Photo by Robert Pittuck)

In the background can been seen an S-61N (G-BBGS) wearing Mobil titles, as well as what I think are a pair of Canadian Armed Forces Kiowas.

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes a couple of Canadian Armed Forces Kiowas in the background, before my time north of the border. Completely different apron nowadays.

• SA341 I-PNIC (cn.002) as seen at L'Aeroporto di Trento Mattarello on 15th September 2019 (Photo by Davide Olivati)

S5-HCR

S5-HCR + 1 as seen in the Ukraine on 20th September 2019

SA341B G-CDNO (WA1385) as seen at Sandtoft Airfield on 14th September 2019 (Photo by Simon W.)

SA342MV's as seen at Base Aérienne Vouziers Séchault during l'exercice Baccarat on 19/20 September 2019

Comment

• SA341G G-EZZL (WA1104) as seen at the Brooklands Museum on 22nd September 2019

SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen at Manchester Barton on 21st September 2019 (Photo by Mike Powney)

Avia member Anja as seen Gazelling in Serbia recently

The Gaz Sqaud performing at the Victory Show, Foxlands Farm, Cosby, Leicestershire on 8th September 2019

Comment

• SA341B G-CDNO (WA1385) as seen at Brooklands on 22nd September 2019

Stefano, super thanks for supporting Jeremico's event. You're a star!

Comment

• Hi gents, thanks for accepting me. You have a great site here.

I run the Gulf War site dstorm.eu and am also a plastic modeller.

Click the image below to visit my site

When Air Graphics released their new Gazelle Gulf War Conversion Set I updated my Gulf War Gazelle List and found some new additions.

I also contacted the Army Flying Museum at Middle Wallop regarding the pictures in Air Graphics and will negotiate a purchase of them as they are quite unique. Also, I tried to ask them about a list of Gazelles AH.1 which participated in Gulf War. They told me that such list does not exist but I can search their archives but this is not possible for me, as I am from Czech Republic and it is far from Middle Wallop.

I would like to ask you, if there is any chance that somebody was already researching this.

So, if you have any info or pics or link where to look, please, contact me.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Jakub

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jakub, you are very welcome to Aviafora. By all means, we shall see what we can do to assist you.

Stefano, is there anyone at the Gaz Squad whom Jakub could contact who may be able to assist with this? I had a feeling they did some research on Gulf War Gazelles, although I am not entirely sure.

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Jakub and welcome to Aviafora

I think the last entry in your AH.1 list shown with unknown Serial but with code F is actually another shot of T XZ347.

I will look through my records and see if I can come up with anything new !

• SA341C XZ939 (WA1750) as seen at SPTA on 21st April 2015 (Photo by Mark Kwiatkowski)

SG Wallpaper #3

Comment

• SA341B ZA766 (WA1808) as seen at Koksijde Air Base in Belgium on 5th July 1991 (Photo by Joop de Groot)

SA341B XZ347 (WA1713) as seen at Boscombe Down on 14th June 1992 (Photo by Graham Tiller)

Aviation72 Gulf War Gazelle model

Gulf War Gazelle badge

Comment

• Found this rather useful Weather Forecasting device recently in Northumberland. A must for all pilots.....

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ha ha .. recommended at every airport and heliport!

• A pair of Royal Marines Gazelles, including XX380 (WA1268), as seen during Operation 'Enduring Freedom' at Camp Justice in Oman in April 2002

Comment

• SA341GC I-PNIC (cn.002) as seen at Trento Mattarello in September 2019 (Photo by Daniel Bertagnolli)

SA341G(S) 2-PJBA (cn.1392) engine start, September 2019

Comment

• Avia Member Takes Youngsters Flying

We are so pleased to report that Avia member XB recently donated his time and one of his Gazelles, in order to take part in an event in support of children and youngsters suffering from a variety of ailments.

The event was supported in part by la fondation des Apprentis d’Auteuil who arranged for some forty youngsters to go flying.

XB during his flight of compassion on 21st September 2019 at ​Aéroport Valenciennes-Denain

We are so proud of you XB, bravo!

Comment

• SA341B XZ290 (WA1489) as seen over West Loch Tarbert, Scotland in 2019 (Photo by Simon Longworth)

Lebanese Air Force SA342L L808 (cn.1665) from 8 Squadron as seen in September 2019

Syrian Air Force Gazelle in 2019

Exercise Baccarat 2019

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) in South Africa in September 2019 (Photo by Jean-Pierre Lombard)

SA341G N2FW (cn.1363) as seen at Zamperini Field, LA County in September 2019

SA341G N37UP (cn.1224) with Ariana and Max Bellochio in Italia on 26th September 2019 (Photo by Liberio)

Comment

• SA341B G-CDNO (WA1385) as seen at the new Crabtree hangar at Breighton on 24th August 2019 (Photo by Simon Brooke)

SA342M HA-HSG (cn.3615) as seen at Breighton on 21st September 2019 (Photo by Jez)

A somewhat peculiar simulator video

Comment

• Heliduebi SA341G I-LDAV (cn.1034) as seen at Lurate Caccivio in April 2003 (Photo by Damiano Gualdoni)

This craft is now in Russia.

Cypriot Air Forces Gazelles as seen over Nicosia in Cyprus on 1st October 2019

These Gazelles performed as part of an 'air parade' marking the 59th anniversary of independence for Cyprus.

SA342M3RHC as seen at Base d'Étain, Rouvres on 29th August 2019 (Photo by Theo van Vliet)

Comment

• SA341H 12634 as seen at Cerklje ob Krki Airport in Slovenia on 4th June 2017 (Photo by Davide Olivati)

ZB627 & XZ934 as seen at RAF Cosford on 19th June 2016

F-MGQN as seen at Mérignac Air Base in Bordeaux in September 2016

SA342MV's landing in Sévaré, Mali in 2013

You are welcome to like and follow our FB page.

Comment

• SA341G N565F (cn.1182) as seen at Héliport de Paris Issy les Moulineaux on 16th November 2003 (Photo by Antoine Grondeau)

Comment

• Mozambique Gazelles

We recently reported that two SA341F2's had been delivered to Mozambique. In follow-up, unconfirmed reports suggest:

These Gazelles were supplied by Erik Prince (formerly of Blackwater, now Frontier Services Group). Local technical support was due to be provided from a South African based company. However, these Gazelles may be withdrawn as this operation has now taken over by a Russian organisation who imported three Mi-17's earlier this week.

Comment

• SA341G N64ZZ (cn.1035) as seen at Costigliole d'Asti in October 2019 (Photo by Fabio)

SA342M F-MGKD as seen at Aeroporto di Bergamo Orio al Serio in September 2019

Serbian Air Force River Exercise

MD530F's For Sale

In other news .. 4 x MD530F's are now up for auction in the US.

Comment

• The Republic of Srpska government has withdrawn its consent for the Helicopter Service of the Republika of Srpska (HSRS) to sell its Gazelle helicopters.

No explanation has been given by the government as to why HSRS cannot sell their aircraft. Last year HSRS began replacing the Gazelle in its charter operations due to high maintenance costs. The service currently operate a Bell 206 and an AW119 and have a second 119 on order.
                                              https://www.capital.ba/vlada-srpske-...1ZS50VYWTUEQS0

https://tvk3.info/vlada-republike-sr...t-helikoptera/

SA341H E7-AAB cn.037 (Photo by Petar Vojinovic)

The Helicopter Service of the Republika of Srpska can no longer afford to operate their Gazelles, but the government of Srpska is restricting them from selling their aircraft.

The service now operate a Bell 206 and an AW119 (below) the only light single which faster than a Gazelle!

Comment

• SA342J YU-HEV (cn.1393) as seen on 6th October 2019

SA342M F-MGEX (cn.2223) as seen in Paris on 14th July 2019

Comment

• SA341G F-GESG (cn.1032) as seen at Southampton's Eastleigh Airport in September 1989 (Photo by Richard Hunt)

Seen here visiting the power boat races.

SA342MV's in Mali, October 2019

Comment

Working...
                                                  X