Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gazelles in USA

Two Gazelles have moved from Canada to the USA recently:

N71PU SA341G, c/n 1137, ex C-GVHC; owner QUALITAIR LLC, MICHELSTADT; registered 29-Oct-2019

N976SF SA341G, c/n 1259, ex C-GUMH; owner AEROSPACE TRUST MANAGEMENT LLC TRUSTEE, WILMINGTON; registered 01-Nov-2019

Comment

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info Jos, I wonder where these have been hiding ?

C-GVHC was cancelled way back in 1988
      C-GUMH comes up with 0 records on the Canadian register ?

• Rotorspot
      Rotorspot commented
      Editing a comment
      C-GMUH (c/n 1259) was cancelled back in Feb-1980.

And now for the more interesting part: I just learned that the Finnish Aviation Authority states that c/n 1259 (without quoting a registration or aircraft type) was de-registered from Finland on 22-Oct-2019, having been registered to a helicopter company with an address in Italy! Question is: is this the very same Gazelle and if so, what was its Finnish registration? I am not aware of any Gazelle having ever been registered in Finland.
      Last edited by Rotorspot; 5th November 2019, 09:12.

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jos that is very interesting and I agree never seen a Gazelle registered in Finland. The fact that it is now registered to a trustee company, it could well be anywhere - so it's Italy then. One to look out for in the future and when we find out who actually owns it maybe they can shed some light on its days in Finland. I now wonder if they were both in Finland ?

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
    Gazelle Kevlar Seat

Hope this is what you are looking for Jakub

Its a Kevlar Seat used in AAC Gazelles and the one in the photo comes from an 654 Squadron Gazelle. It's for sale on ebay for £599

Helipixman
    WOW !!!!! Awesome, just awesome. Yes, I think this is the seat, this one is for pilot (right hand), and my pic shows the fold out part with hinge on left side, so they are definetly mirrored. Just googled "Gazelle kevlar seat" and voila !!!!! Well, as I always say "there is everything on the Internet, you just have to know how to lay a question" BIG thanks !!!!

Comment

• SA341G C-GUMH (cn.1259) as seen in Canada in the 1970's

Belonging to Heli Voyageur of Val D'or, Quebec and seen in this photo with snow skis.

SA342L 12901 (cn.111) as seen at Lađevci Airport, Serbia on 4th November 2019 (Photo by Ivan Bukvić)

SA342MV F-MGBP as seen at Le Cannet-des-Maures on 4th November 2019 (Photo by Arnaud Jourdain)

Comment

• Minigun Gazelle

French Military Gazelle with fixed machine gun, and other fittings !

When I first saw this photograph I thought that must be a hinged machine gun system as it hangs well below the skids ?

Then I saw this photograph and its not hinged !

Both photos from the Helipixman Gazelle collection

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha .. too funny! The only tactical advantage I can see with such a system would be its potential 360° coverage, but that would need to be coupled with some sort of sight system, and well .. what a price to pay with such a fixed vertical boom! Clearly this was an experimental endeavour for which the installation of a hinge was considered too troublesome.

Do you think this was taken at Marignane?

• Fabrice
          Fabrice commented
          Editing a comment
          These photos show the Emerson-Mini TAT experiment (six barrels, 7,62mm machine gun) conducted by the ALAT in the mid 70's. The same mounting has been displayed on SA 341 cn1252/BSC (this could be the same aircraft, but the serial is barely readable) at Le Bourget airshow in 1975. And, yes, the arm was hinged, and could be folded on the right side of the cabin for landing! The top photo has probably been taken in Bretigny, then home of the CEV (French air trials center) helicopters division.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
        .. what a price to pay with such a fixed vertical boom! Clearly this was an experimental endeavour for which the installation of a hinge was considered too troublesome.

Just wondering what would happen if the donk stopped? Autorotation would be a little dodgy with a minigun up your rear end!

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch! Yes, the outcome of any sort of emergency landing with that contraption would only ever be painful.

• SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) as seen at her home hangar near Bratsk in Russia on 6th November 2019

Avia member Kirill has kindly sent this photo of 709 taken this morning in Russia. Bratsk is currently eight hours ahead of GMT.

SA342L 12901 (cn.111) as seen at Kraljevo Airbase in Lađevci, Serbia on 2nd November 2019 (Photos by Ivan Bukvic)

SA341F2 N341RD (cn.1501) as seen at Punta Gorda Airport in Florida on 2nd November 2019 (Photo by Hector Valentin)

Comment

• G-CBGZ and G-EZZL as seen at Ettington Park Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon in 2013 (Photo by David Haines)

Comment

• SA341G F-BXPG (WA1073) as seen at L'aérodrome de La Tour-du-Pin in Cessieu c.1980

This aircraft was operated by Auxiair at Lyon-St. Exupery Airport in Lyon and was previously owned by Twyford Moors Helicopters of Southampton in the UK. WA1073 also flew in Italy as I-ATOM and now flies in Russia as RA-07822.

SA342J(S) YU-HPZ (cn.1473) as seen at Peterborough Airport in 2019 (Photos by Sebastian Zytomski)

Comment

• Cypriot Air Force SA342L's

Today the Cypriot Air Force will host an open day at Andreas Papandreou Airbase in Paphos.

This is an annual event which celebrates St. Michael, the force's patron saint. The highlight of the day will be an air display which will feature the force's Gazelles.

Serbian Air Force Gazelle replacement .. the H145M as seen in Serbia in October 2019

Within the next few years, the following countries have declared their intention to dispose of their Gazelle fleets: Britain, France, Montenegro and Serbia. Tunisia and Morocco may also follow suit, while Lebanon, Cyprus, Syria, Egypt, Iraq and Qatar 'seem' to be keeping theirs for the time being.

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen in South Africa in November 2019 (Photo by Jean-Pierre)

SA341G(S) G-GAZZ (cn.1271)

No further details on the above shot, but if anyone has an idea as to the location, please advise.

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                G-GAZZ is at the Cheqair base in Tharston Industrial Estate, Chequers Lane, Long Stratton. Note the address is probably where the name Cheqair came from.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie mille Elipix, much appreciated!

Re: the Cheqair name .. plus the fact that Roger is into cars and racing!

• Weekend Sortie to Bourne Park

Over the weekend the Crabtree Warrior together with the RainbowStar Gaz were engaged in a sortie to Bourne Park.
              Photos courtesy of Stefano and taken on 9th November 2019.

Prior to leaving Breighton

The RainbowStar Gaz and Crabtree Warrior at Bourne Park

Crabtree and Bourne Park Gazelles

The Crabtree Warrior behind a line of Bourne Park Gazelles

Sadly is 'seems' as if dear old XX406 has been abandoned .. again!

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen in Centurion, Gauteng Province, South Africa on 10th November 2019
              (Photo courtesy of Jean-Pierre)

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                I have seen a recent report for Bourne Park... no less than 19 Gazelles were there. Some were pods only.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be a nice shot to capture.

• SA341C XZ939 (WA1750) as seen over SPTA on 7th October 2014 (Photo by Philip Stevens)

Flying as 'Tester 73'.

Yugoslav SA341H 12708 from the Milan Majersky photo collection, sent to us by Avia member Dalibor Jovanovic

Elipix wrote: This is the Cheqair base at Tharston Industrial Estate, Chequers Lane, Long Stratton.
              Grazie Elipix! I managed to find an aerial shot of the landing site below:

Cheqair/Stratton Motors base in Long Stratton, Norfolk. Home of G-GAZZ

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep that's the place. Only been there once and sadly it was all locked up. The owner has a house just across from his garage on the main street.

• Hi, new pics have emerged.

This time Gulf war French Gazelle SA-341F1 1658/42/BOP from 5e RHC, JVN, Mistral 2 (HAP) with NAVSTAR (CRM 500).

Is there a list of differencies between SA-341F1, SA-342L2 and M ? Thanks !

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice Jakub.

'Is there a list of differences between SA-341F1, SA-342L2 and M ? Thanks !'

Perhaps Avia member XB can help?

• xbdt
                xbdt commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure if there is a list but the main differences between 341 and 342 are:
                341:
                Astazou III engine (A: civil, B: export mil, C: french mil: N: UK mil.) 592 HP engine.
                MRRPM is 378
                Standard fenestron
                Hobson servos

342:
                Astazou XIV engine (H: civil, M: mil) 870 HP engine, torque limited to 592 HP to the MGB.
                MRRPM is 387 as the Astazou 14 spins a little faster.
                Upgraded fenestron
                Samm more powerful servos (mostly with accumulators)
                updated instrument panel and warning lights

341 and 342 share same airframe/tail boom, MGB, MRH, IGB, TGB, drive shafts, MR blades...

during the years options became available like AP, standard on 342M and 342L (mil export).

Regarding weaponry I don't know.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie mille XB!

I am sure Jakub will find this information most helpful.

• Gazelle Support Manager Wanted

Airbus Helicopters is seeking a Gazelle Support Manager to be based at Oxford in the UK.

The successful candidate will be responsible for:
              • Management of service delivery performance (technical and logistics) in accordance with the Gazelle Support Contract
              • Representing Airbus Helicopters UK (AHUK) at various Gazelle support meetings in the UK and France
              • Liaison with the MoD at Abbey Wood
              • Liaison between AHUK and AH France
              https://ag.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/fr-...ger_JR10005297

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (1608) as seen in Gauteng, South Africa in November 2019 (Photo courtesy of Jean-Pierre)

Jean-Pierre's 'Gazelle Pushback System'!

Melanie Oullion-Simon, owner of MOS Nutrition holds one
              of the nutritional bars she is supplying l'armée de terre
              Africa, November 2019

Comment

• XB, GREAT info, thanks a lot !! Regarding upgraded fenestron for 342 - does that mean different amount of blades ? Thanks !

Comment

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No still 13 blades but the airfoil is different (more wing shaped instead of knife shaped) and root bearings and hub is different.

• In my French Gazelle hunt, I just discovered this, from 1991 Le Bourget aerosalon: SA-342M HOT 4084/81/BPG, with probably wrong loadout of 2 x HOT and 2 x Mistral

Comment

• SA341B ZB691 (WA2006) as seen at SPTA on 17th April 2018

For Jakub ..

F-MAED '132' as seen in February 1991 during Operation Daguet

Jakub, do you know the construction number for this aircraft and whether she is a 341 or 342?

Comment

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Think she is c/n 4183 AED an SA342M of 6eRHC/3

You mention 132 for the side no ? If thats the number on the tail the second number looks like a 4 to me ?

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grazie XB e Elipix!

Hopefully Jakub can confirm the tail number in white.

• Jakub Cikhart
                    Jakub Cikhart commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi, the tail number should be 132 and it should be SA-342

• SA341G G-BAZL (WA1073) as seen at Southampton Heliport in 1974 (Photo by Barry Friend)

This Westland example was built in 1973 and initially served with Twyford Moors of Southampton. In 1975 she was exported to France where she flew as F-BXPG which featured as last Friday's 'Flashback Gaz'. From there she went to Italy becoming I-ATOM after which she returned to the UK to fly as G-EZEL. She currently resides in Russia as RA-07822.

Comment

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A Gazelle I saw many times at Battersea HP, sadly so far I have been unable to locate any photographs from her days in Italy !

She was also 2-GAZL briefly before going to Russia

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, 'Basil' gained some nice exposure in the UK in the 70's, including her 'Lamb's Navy' campaign, police assignments and general charter work.

Photos of I-ATOM have indeed been extremely difficult to source, but the search is still on!

• SA341C G-CBKD (WA1130) as seen at Welshpool on 29th June 2014 (Photo by Brian Nicholas)

Elipix, do you suppose this craft still active, because her Permit to Fly seems to have expired without being renewed?

Comment

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have not seen any reports for any activity of G-CBKD lately and as you say it's Permit has expired. As per the picture it's normal base is Welshpool so I guess it may be stored there.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Okay, grazie.

• SA342M F-MGBF 4059 as seen in Clermont-Ferrand in November 2019 (Photo by Guillaume Carré)

Comment

• Flying South Africa's Wild Coast in ZU-RED

(Fast forward to 3:20 to get to the flying action)

XB, the shot at 3:57, is this showing painted blade tape?

SA342L1 12943 (cn.163) +1 as seen over the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro in November 2019 (Photo by Sven van Roij)

A short clip from Operation Barkhane in Mali 2019

Brigadier General Xavier Culot visiting 3RHC on 6th November 2019

WINTOPS!

We are pleased to launch the 2019 Winter Flying Season on Aviafora, which kicks-off today with a short video featuring Russian Alouette III RA-05701 performing heli-ski ops in the western region of Lake Baikal + German helimed ops.

Check out Heli-Skiing + Winter Flying

Comment

• Yugoslav Gazelle '808' being loaded with missile

SA342MV 4095 as seen in November 2019 (Photo by Malaury Viardot)

Comment

• SA342M F-MMCQ (cn.3858) as seen at Valence-Chabeuil Airport on 11th September 2019 (Photo by Paul Bannwarth)

XB, the white item behind the tail beacon, is this part of the night flying/formation lighting arrangement?

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie mille XB, much appreciated!

Elipix, I think this is a pre-delivery shot.

• Tasty
                          Tasty commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It’s not a LED formation light (witch is just above the rear position light). It seems to be the GPS receiver like on the 342Ma/M1 OACI

• xbdt
                          xbdt commented
                          Editing a comment

It should be a formation light, there is also one on the roof as you can see.

• SA341G F-OCRX (cn.1003) as seen Stateside in 1972 with Vought Helicopters

SA342J YU-HEV (cn.1393) landing

Check out the latest Gazelle for sale on the GazMart

Comment

• SA341F2 'GHL' as seen at San Gabriel Valley Airport, California in November 2019

Elsewhere on Avia, check out a 'very special' AS350 apprentice on Junior Fixers & Flyers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tasty View Post
                            It’s not a LED formation light (witch is just above the rear position light). It seems to be the GPS receiver like on the 342Ma/M1 OACI

I can assure you that it’s a formation light fitted in that position on my 342M.

Comment

• Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                              Not sure if there is a list but the main differences between 341 and 342 are:
                              341:
                              Astazou III engine (A: civil, B: export mil, C: french mil: N: UK mil.) 592 HP engine.
                              MRRPM is 378
                              Standard fenestron
                              Hobson servos

342:
                              Astazou XIV engine (H: civil, M: mil) 870 HP engine, torque limited to 592 HP to the MGB.
                              MRRPM is 387 as the Astazou 14 spins a little faster.
                              Upgraded fenestron
                              Samm more powerful servos (mostly with accumulators)
                              updated instrument panel and warning lights

341 and 342 share same airframe/tail boom, MGB, MRH, IGB, TGB, drive shafts, MR blades...

during the years options became available like AP, standard on 342M and 342L (mil export).

Regarding weaponry I don't know.

I might add all UK and French military 341's have the updated fenestron and are fitted with either Hobson or Samm servos.

Comment

• Morocco Receives US State Department Approval for 36 Apache Helicopters

As reported recently, Morocco is one of the countries who are soon to dispose of their Gazelle fleet. As mentioned previously, the 20's are going to see something of a 'Gazelle glut' on the used market; good news for prospective Gaz buyers.

This proposed sale will support the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a major Non-NATO ally that is an important force for political stability and economic progress in North Africa," said the US State Department.

The Royal Moroccan Air Force (RMAF), which operates all the military's aviation assets, does not currently field a dedicated attack helicopter. The 24 Aerospatiale SA342L Gazelle helicopters it currently operates in the light attack role were procured from 1978 and need replacing.
                                Morocco's Gazelle fleet includes a small batch of rare stretched versions, perhaps the only stretched military Gazelles ever built.

https://www.janes.com/article/92722/...6-apache-helos

SA341B XZ338 VH-OIZ (WA1682) as seen at Edinburgh
                                RAAF base in South Australia in November 2019

SA342 RA-0682G as seen at Pulkovo Airport in St. Petersbury on 24th September 2015 (Photo by Malyshev Andrei)

Sadly, we've seen very little of this craft over the past year.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Grazie Jos! Do you think the Gendarmerie Royale Gazelles will remain in service then?

• Rotorspot
                                  Rotorspot commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I really have no idea what will happen to the Gendarmerie Gazelles, Enrico, as the press release only mentions the Air Force ones. The Gendarmerie have just received 5 second-hand EC145 (BK117) helicopters formerly operated by the Swiss REGA, plus two new H125 (AS350B3e) helicopters. So it seems that they are renewing their fleet.

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Grazie mille Jos. Very interesting to hear about these Gendarmerie acquisitions. AFAIK the stretched 342's were originally tasked for general liaison and senior personnel transportation. Now that they have the EC145's it isn't hard to imagine one or more of these being assigned to such duties; more space, more comfort, twin engine 'safety'.

• SA341C VH-OIW (WA1007) as seen in Adelaide, South Australia on 24th November 2019

SA341D G-CBSK (WA1914) ex-ZB627 as seen at Old Warden in June 2018 (Photo by Jonathan Haylock)

Comment

• SA342L ZU-RNB (cn.1881) as seen at Hartswater in the Northern Cape province of South Africa on 26th November 2019
                                  (Photo by Theo Boshoff)

This former Ecuadorian bird seen here wearing similar colours to N18BC see here.

Elipix, I was just thinking its a shame that Zis is no longer around, because he loved these classic clolour schemes.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                    Helipixman commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    A lovely scheme and yes it is a shame Zis is not about at present, maybe in the future he will return. Just shows how some TLC can transform an ex military bird.

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Yes yes, well said Elipix!

One of the things I enjoy about the South African Gazelles is that they are slapping on skid fairings and tailrotor driveshaft covers, and most times fenestron hubcaps too, although RNB doesn't yet have this fitted. I have always thought that these make the Gaz look just that little bit neater.

• Kuwaiti Air Force SA342L NFI

Jakub, seeing as you have considerable knowledge about Gulf War Gazelles, do you know why this aircraft was painted in these colours, because all my other shots of Kuwaiti Gazelles have them in a grey scheme?

Comment

• Helipixman
                                    Helipixman commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Agreed all others I have seen are Grey scheme, they also have a standard exhaust set up unlike the upward version as above.

• Jakub Cikhart
                                    Jakub Cikhart commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Hi, no idea, but it can be same with their Mirage F1s (some two-tone, some grey) so I guess - different batch ? or time frame ? as I have few pics of camo Gazelles on my site... and one more question - are the Kuwaiti Gazelles K or L version ? I can see L on pics but Wiki and other sites states K ... any ideas ? thanks !

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Okay, grazie Jakub.

They seem to be L's in terms of their technical specification but perhaps designated as K's as a customer identification which sometimes happens. Maybe Avia member Jos will know more.
                                Working...
                                X