No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Air Corps Day at Suffield in Canada in 1983 (Photo by Guy Warner)

SA341F2 N2MF (cn.1448) as seen in Nevada in November 2019

S5-HCR

S5-HCR NFI

Property Market

House with hangar and helipad for sale in Stevoort, Limburg, Belgium

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      You are just incredible at this sort of thing Elipix!

The Ranger OO-FBR looks like a lovely bird, seen here with that name you've just mentioned: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9449082

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep I enjoy researching things ?

She is a lovely vintage helicopter, cannot wait to see what G-USAI will look like once completed

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      If you land a photo of G-USAI, then please (obviously) post it.

I hope the owner will take her round to some of the shows when she's ready.

• This flashback Friday we have no choice but to show N18BC, seeing as we now have a new Gaz on the scene (in the form of ZU-RNB) wearing a very nice tribute to this classic AĆ©rospatiale scheme.

SA341G N18BC (cn.1051) as seen Stateside in 1974

And .. a flashback, also to the 70's, in the form of the well-known G-BAGJ.

SA341G G-BAGJ (WA1039) as seen in the 1970's. Unsure of the location, but perhaps Ascot

This is a more recent flashback (2014) SA341C G-LEDR (WA1081) start and depart

Rory's Tory coloured Gaz. Rory was of course a contributor on the original Nostalgia thread.

Busting the myths! Yes, the Gaz is capable of going fully inverted, as demonstrated by this loop

SA341F2 N497MM (cn.1384) as seen at Key West in Florida in November 2019

SA341F2 as seen at Wonderboom in November 2019

A new orange Gaz being prepared by the 34X crew in Pretoria.

Comment

• SA342L1 355 as seen in Cyprus on 8th October 2019 (Photos by Neil Dunridge)

SA341H HA-LFX take off
      Hungary, 30th November 2019

Comment

• SA314G(S) YU-HVZ (cn.1295) as seen at Kortrijk Wevelgem Airport in Belgium on 19th April 2019 (Photo by Vico Sanders)

SA342M Night Ops

SA341G ZU-RLU (cn.1097) as seen in South Africa in 2019

Lebanese Air Force SA342L as seen at Rayak Air Base in November 2019

Sim carrier landing

Comment

• Hi Guys, I'm John from the USA, new to the forum, been a fixed wing pilot for 23 years, owned and flown 30+ planes, most were experimental, some ex-mil jet trainers, etc. A little while back I got into helicopters, primarily since I don't have enough land to build an airstrip, so we built a helipad on the farm last year. Owned an R44 for awhile, but always wondered if I was going to die in it. 2 friends have owned Gazelles, I flew one earlier this year, and last month put a deposit on Serial# 1994, formerly ZB685, I just reserved N685ZB for it's tail number.

Any of you guys have any insight into it's history, use, is it even a desirable year/model? I don't have the logs yet, to even know what year it is, it's currently impounded at a US customs building, but we should have it out soon.

Thanks for all the Gazelle info and support.

Comment

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi John

Congratulations on your Gazelle purchase and welcome to Aviafora. I may have some details regarding ZB685 and will have a look at the weekend.

• xbdt
            xbdt commented
            Editing a comment
            I know which one that is.

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            I also know which Gazelle this is ! It was exported from the UK ex Everett Aero and went to Courtney Hood as far back as 2006 ? He was intending to do a long term rebuild, how far did he get ? If it was exported in 2006 wondering how has it now managed to become impounded ?? Look forward to new owner John sharing some photos with us when it is released.

• Caro Giovanni, benvenuto in Aviafora!

Glad to have you with us, welcome aboard!
          Great to hear of your interest in aviation and that you have taken the plunge and decided to buy a Gaz!

Regarding your fixed-wing endeavours, it would be interesting to learn about some of the craft you've owned and specifically which ones you liked most. My late father had around fifteen different fixed-wing that he owned over the years including an Aermacchi AL60, a De Havilland Rapide, a De Havilland Dove, a Stinson Reliant, a Nord Noralpha, an Avro Anson and several others. He also had the privilege of having one of the first privately owned Beech D-17 Staggerwings in Europe.

Owned an R44 for awhile, but always wondered if I was going to die in it.
          Yes well, thankfully you are still with us and perhaps with the Gaz on its way your R44 days may now be behind you - not that there's anything wrong with the R44 I should mention for the sake of any R44 enthusiasts!

As with every craft, the Gaz has its quirks, so please take a read of this page which mentions the Gazelle's 'Tail Swing Bite', the tendency the aircraft has to want to yaw to the left.

In the UK when the first batch of ex-military Gazelles came onto the civilian market, there were a rash of Tail Swing Bite accidents. Thankfully, over the years, with a greater awareness of this vulnerability as well as through improved training, these accidents have all but ceased, but it is something that the person who trains you should be aware of, specifically how to avoid it, and should the condition manifest, how to handle it.

Having said that, I still haven't flown the Gaz .. but have promised to get round to it in the not-too-distant future!

Not a great deal of info out there on your bird, other than that she flew with 665 squadron, but let's see if any of our members can add any further details.

Please keep us posted as to what's happening with your new 'girl' and once she's cleared customs please drop a photo or two on the forum!

Regards

Sav

Comment

• SA342L 354 (cn.2197) as seen at Andreas Papandreou Airbase on 8th November 2019 (Photo by Alan Bushell)

SA342J HA-LFH (cn.1775) at her Church Fenton hangar together with the Haelo Jet in December 2019 (Photo courtesy of Adriano)

SA342M F-MGBF as seen passing Puy de Pariou in ChaƮne des Puys, France in December 2019 (Photo by Flavien Dessertine)

Tibetan gazelles seen foraging in the Haltent Grassland of Aksay Kazakh, Gansu Province, China on 30th November 2019

These Tibetan gazelles (also known as goas) are a reminder that the Snow Gazelles shall soon be winging their way towards us!

Comment

• Standard Gazelle, Stretched Gazelle and now the Shortened Gazelle !!!

12626 SA341 No.43
              Interesting its a SOKO Gazelle but shows type as SA341 on side

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha .. a Soko fawn!

AFAIK Soko still use the SA341/2 designator, only that their 341's are usually 'H' models and I think most of the 342's assembled were L1's.

• Rotorspot
                Rotorspot commented
                Editing a comment
                If this really is c/n 043, then its serial is/was 12814. To my knowledge there never was a Gazelle with serial 12626.

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably just ficticious markings put on a training aid then ?

• Here is a data plate from a Mostar Gazelle Soko HN-45M Gama 2 (SA342L.1) for c/n 140 which is 12926

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovely! Nice to see a Gaz with a manufacture date of September 1988!

I wonder when the last Gaz was produced at Mostar?

• SA342MV F-MGBX as seen at Ɖtain-Rouvres Air Base on 7th May 2019 during the ceremony marking the change of command at the 3RHC

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen at Warmbaths Resort in Bela-Bela, South Africa (Photo by Jean-Pierre Lombard)

SA341G(S) F-GIJR (cn.1407) NFI (Photo by Elipix)

Catch up with other posts on Avia by checking out our FB page:

You are also welcome to like and follow this page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                I also know which Gazelle this is ! It was exported from the UK ex Everett Aero and went to Courtney Hood as far back as 2006 ? He was intending to do a long term rebuild, how far did he get ? If it was exported in 2006 wondering how has it now managed to become impounded ?? Look forward to new owner John sharing some photos with us when it is released.

Itā€™s been impounded by customs for a while now.

Courtney completed his rebuild and I believe he flew her too before selling her to a different person.

Comment

• coolcarsauto
                  coolcarsauto commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As far as I know, it was purchased by an overseas buyer, who was shipping it to South Africa, but didn't have the correct paperwork. Been in a CA warehouse for a year I think. Not technically 'Seized' but detained and plenty of 'Storage fees' were owed to get it back out.

• Refuelling at Church Fenton

En route from Church Fenton to the Swinton Estate

At the Swinton Estate near Ripon in North Yorkshire

SA342J HA-LFH (cn.1775) Church Fenton to the Swinton Estate on 4th December 2019 (Photos courtesy of Adriano)

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice photos from Adrian, had to admit as I was scrolling down and saw the caption under the second photo, I thought Swinton Estate and had a flashback from the days when we used Yorkshire Helicopter Centres Jetrangers. When I got to the bottom picture I realised it was a far better location near Ripon. The Swinton Estate we used was an Industrial Estate called Swinton Meadows where they had a hangar. Memories, sadly company and hangar long gone, Geoff Day still flying I think.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha .. yes imagine Adriano's Swinton Estate is probably a little better looking than the industrial estate you mention.

Yorkshire Helicopter Centre .. is it from those days that you got your photos of G-OJCB? https://postimg.cc/wyrr0Ct2

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes it was the days when Lothian Helicopters used the Jetrangers G-OJCB, G-ODIL and one of the helicopters in the Dennis K sequence of SH being G-SHCC also owned by Yorkshire Helicopter Centre. They were all use on contracts during the week in Scotland and then Lothian got the use of them most weekends for pleasure flying.

• Some Air2air pictures of N341DT taken on Dec 4th 2019

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow .. as in just wow XB!

Grazie, grazie, grazie !!!

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amazing photos, just makes you wish you were there !

• SA341G G-BBHW (WA1098) belonging to McAlpine as seen at Cranfield c.1980 (Photo by Steve Barnes)

ZB685

SA341B ZB685 (WA1994) as seen while in customs in the US (Photo courtesy of new Avia member John/Giovanni)

The is my first time to see a BAG with skid fairings!

Comment

• SA342M HA-HSG (cn.3615) as seen at Nottingham Tollerton Airport on 10th November 2019 (Photo by David Kelly)

Stefano seen here with the Crabtree Warrior. This was part of the 'dual sortie' with the RainbowStar Gaz (G-CDNO) to Bourne Park last month.

I wonder if Signore Michael was driving the RainbowStar Gaz?

~ ~ ~

Elsewhere on Avia .. join us in congratulating Avia member Kirill who has just taken delivery of his first Lama and which will accompany his Gazelle in Bratsk.

Check out our FB page too.

Comment

• md600driver
                    md600driver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes it was micheal

• xbdt
                    xbdt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    or maybe Michael :-)

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually, it is really supposed to be spelt 'Michele' and pronounced Mi-ke-le!

Stefano .. this is a great blessing you have encountered and we give thanks to God for it (for every blessing is a result of His grace upon our lives, at least according to Scripture). That you have flown in company with your son in two Gazelles. I'm not sure if this has ever happened until now in the rotary-wing world.

And 'Michele' if you're reading, we're incredibly proud of you as for sure your Dad must have been when he looked across and saw you flying alongside, in fact I would say it is probably a day that your Dad will never forget.

Stenafo, was this the first time for Michael to fly solo in a Crabtree Gaz, or at least cross country?

• Snow Gazelles .. coming soon to a forum near you!

Comment

• SA342MV F-MGCK (cn.2180) as seen at Valence Chabeuil on 23rd February 2012 (Photo by Laurent QuĆ©ritĆ©)

SA342L1 '354' as seen at Paphos Air Base in 2018 (Photo by Hilco Schigt)

Avia member Anja with Serbian Air Force SA342L in December 2019

SA341D G-VOIP (WA1792) as seen at Goodwood Airfield on 14th September 2019

SA341H E7-VDH (cn.060) shutting down in Zalužani, Srpska

Comment

• After months of drought across much of South Africa, certain parts of the country have received a deluge of rain. As a result, the Hennops River in Gauteng Province burst its banks affecting ZU-RNV's home base. Below is the result:

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) Centurion, Gauteng Province, South Africa in December 2019 (Photo courtesy of Jean-pierre)

RNV moved to safety at Ultimate's heliport, in Waterfall, Midrand, December 2019 (Photo courtesy of Jean-pierre)

Jean-pierre, we're glad it all worked out okay for 'RNV'. Our thoughts are with those whose homes and businesses have been affected by the floods.

Gazelles in Water

Graham Wood's SA341D G-DMSS (WA1089) as seen at Breighton on 3rd May 2004 (Photo by Steven Hadlow)

Comment

• N901B Back from Repaint

Crabtree Gaz N901B is back from her repaint. She's still in white and is seen below in the Crabtree hangar.

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) at the Crabtree Hangar at Breighton on 10th December 2019 (Photo courtesy of Stefano)

Crabtree Completes Annual Inspection on 2-WMAN

Crabtree Gazelles have recently completed the annual inspection of 2-WMAN.

Poor weather over the Irish Sea combined with the owner's busy schedule meant the craft was roaded back to Ireland.

SA341G 2-WMAN (cn.1277) being loaded at Breighton in December 2019 return to Ireland

AAC Driver Reaches 7000 Hrs Flying Time

AAC QHI Colin Judge currently deployed with 29 BATUS Flight in Canada marked reached 7000 personal flying hours in March this year.

Colin joined the AAC in 1981 and passed 320 Army Pilots Course in 1989 before being posted to 651 Squadron in Hildesheim, Germany. He achieved his first 1000 hours on the Gazelle and had the privilege of reaching this first milestone with his father on board.

Colin with his family and a BATUS Gaz in March 2019

Our sincere thanks to Avia member Julien for the photos below. Merci Julien!

SA342MV F-MGAV 3964 (cn.1964) as seen at Chateau d'Augerville, Loiret, north-central France on 8th May 2019
                        (Photos courtesy of Julien)

Comment

• SA341D ZB625 (WA1905) flying as 'Tester 73' as seen at SPTA in January 2011 (Photo by Philip Stevens)

More Gazelles Being Roaded

SA341G 2-WMAN (see above) wasn't the only Gaz being roaded this week.

Former British Army Gazelles XW897 and ZA771 were roaded from Grantham in Lincolnshire to their new homes. The word is that these have been bought by an Avia member.

SA341B XW897 (WA1178) as seen prior to departing Grantham in Lincolnshire in December 2019

SA341B ZA771 (WA1813) as seen prior to departing Grantham in Lincolnshire in December 2019
                          ā€‹

Check out the latest Gazelle for sale .. on the GazMart

Comment

• Helipixman
                            Helipixman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Will be interesting to see who the new owners are. Looking at the two very different forms of transport I suspect two buyers ? The number plate on the first truck looks foreign ?
                            Last edited by Helipixman; 12th December 2019, 16:40.

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The transportation for XW897 doesn't give the impression of being especially suitable for extended haulage.

• SA342J(S) F-GGTJ (cn.1473) as seen at Cheltenham racecourse on 18th March 2004 (Photo by Ray Barber)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                            The transportation for XW897 doesn't give the impression of being especially suitable for extended haulage.

I think you will find they are going a long way away.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I believe they have gone to an Avia member in what is for me 'familiar territory'.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                            I believe they have gone to an Avia member in what is for me 'familiar territory'.

I think you may be correct.

Comment

• SA341G N700SH (cn.1154) as seen in Lotenhulle, Belgium on 8th December 2019 (Photo courtesy of Kurt)

The 'Kurtcraft' seen here with members of the Kurt-fam in what might be described as a 'winter barbecue'. This is taking place at Avia member Kurt's recently refurbished hangar.

'What' (I hear you ask) is that behind the Kurtcraft? Well, believe it or not, it is none other than N505HA .. yes, she appears to have been rebuilt!

We have been promised further information about '505' as well as additional Belgaz news in the new year!

Unidentified Gazelle at Stapleford, December 2019

Serbian Air Force H145M in front of a Serbian Police SA342 in Serbia in December 2019 (Photo by Dragan Trifunovic)

SA341D ZU-HGZ (WA1728) as seen at the
                              Ultimate Helicopters base in Midrand,
                              South Africa in December 2019

Comment

• Hi everybody ...

Helicopter Tug from AC Air Technology

Comment

• Dear Chetak, welcome to Avifora and thank you for the video.

As it happens, the developer of that ground trolley is a friend to one of members.

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen at Centurion in Gauteng on 15th December 2019 (Photo courtesy of Jean-Pierre)

'RNV' is now back at her home base after the recent flooding in Centurion.

SA341D XZ931 (WA1728) as seen at Biggin Hill in 1986 (Photo by King Cobra)

Comment

• Avia member Adriano is currently in Monaco where he recorded this clip from Fontvieille heliport.
                                    Grazie mille Adriano!

Movements at Fontvieille Heliport, Monaco on 16th December 2019
                                    (Video courtesy of Adriano)

Comment

• The Snow Gazelles have arrived once again on Shrieking Gazelles ('hooray' cheered one and all) and I am therefore pleased
                                      to commence the proceedings with a sample of Gazelles in that most delightful of settings .. snow!

Swift Copters SA342J(S) HB-ZFD (cn.1058) at Courchevel on 25th February 2012 (Photo by Siegfried Bruno)

SA341's F-ZWRL (cn.02) & F-WTNV (cn.1006) in the French Alps in the 1970's (Photo: AĆ©rospatiale Archives)

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen in Abkhazia in 2017

Former Crabtree Gazelle SA341B RA-05703 (WA1524) in Russia

Comment

• SA341G RA-05706 (WA1802) in St. Petersburg in March 2018

'706' Departing St. Petersburg Bay

Gaz Squad visit to Naomi House children's hospice

Comment

• SA342J N65AR (cn.1602) as seen at Crested Butte, Colorado in January 2015

This craft is currently for sale, although yet to be featured on the GazMart.

SA342MV 4195 as seen in Djibouti in December 2019

Comment

Working...
                                          X