No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA342MV F-MGCB (cn.4158) as seen in Kabul, Afghanistan on 9th June 2011 (Photo by Tony Osborne)

Comment

• Lebanese AF SA.342L L809 c/n 1681 NFI

Comment

• SA341G G-BBHU (WA1108) as seen at an unknown location c. mid-80's (Photo by Martin Uzzell)

If GazEngineer was still with us we might be able to find out whether 1108 is still at Stapleford.

Does anyone know what the 'HA' on the stabiliser stands for?

~ ~ ~

As the Shrieking Gazelles thread turns six today, I wish to extend great thanks to Zishelix for having begun this conversation and to our regular contributors for their ongoing support.

As mentioned previously, we are planning some changes to the site which we hope will make it more user friendly. Sadly, my slowness in attending to this has meant that several members are unable to join in our ramblings as they find the workings of the site a bit too 'clunky'. But, drawing upon the adage 'Good things come to those who wait' I encourage you to hold on until we get there - hopefully before too long!

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          We're blessed to have Nosco here Thanks!

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for additional info NOSCO

I think G-SFTD was sold by SFT to Blades and actually owned by them 30.1.87 to 14.1.91 before becoming G-RIFC

Did the name David Stark ever come up in connection with Blades Helicopters ?
          Last edited by Helipixman; 5th February 2020, 19:24.

• noscoavia
          noscoavia commented
          Editing a comment
          Name unknown to me.
          Blades first used Hurn, as a base, before the move to Goodwood.I never visited either.

• Fenestron Maintenance

Fenestron maintenance being performed at Défense Conseil International.

Also, a video on DCI below:

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Jos, very nice!

• Unidentified Gazelle in South Africa in 2019

New colour schemes for X-Plane Gazelle:

If you are considering a Gazelle simulator, then we recommend you check out MP Design Studio.

~ ~ ~

Grazie Elipix e Nosco for your info on G-BBHU, great stuff!

Elsewhere on Avia

Check out Alouettes and Lamas to see what happens when a Russian Lama meets with an Arabian camel amidst the winter's snow!

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
          Unidentified Gazelle in South Africa in 2019
          No more unknown
          http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...1442#post11442

Comment

• Another rare Gazelle photo from the Helipixman Collection F-GFHD c/n 1271

This started life with a test registration F-WMHC to HB-XGA but not taken up then to YV-242CP before becoming F-GFHD and is now in the UK as G-GAZZ.

Helixpixman Collection

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! Thanks Helipix.

Seems both F-GEHD & GFHD had the same livery or maybe it's the same machine and I just misread the registration from the postcard http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=2530#post2530

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Lovely shot Elipix!

I wonder if this shot was in Normandie?

• SA341B ZA775 (WA1817) as seen at Manchester Barton on 7th February 2020 (Photo by Michael Powney)

Fred Kastel with SA342MV F-MGBI in February 2020

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen in Witbank Emalahleni, South Africa on 7th February 2020 (Photo by Jean-Pierre Lombard)

Night-time digital Gazelle

Comment

• Rumours of an Irish Gazelle

I have heard a rumour that RA-1739G c/n 1299 which is ex ZK-HTB, XX391 might now be in Ireland ?

Apparently a picture of it in a hangar was put on a site but sadly removed before I got a chance to have a look. The person who spotted it said it still had ZK-HTB in the cockpit ?

Anyone any ideas or heard anything ?

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              It would be nice if Ireland get a Gaz back in the land.

• Rotorspot
              Rotorspot commented
              Editing a comment
              All I know is that RA-1739G was cancelled from the Russian aircraft registry nearly two years ago.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Irish Gazelle rumour solved!

The craft is not in Eire Elipix, location soon to be revealed on the GazMart. The craft has been bought by an Avia member and is currently 'unregistered'.

• SA341G N341ZL (cn.1262) as seen at Fullerton Municipal Airport, Orange County on 30th January 2020 (Photo by David Crocker)

SA342L ZU-RZR (cn.1854) as seen at Ultimate Heliport in Midrand South Africa on 4th February 2020 (Photo by Jono Druion)

Comment

• SA342MV F-MGBE (cn.2053) as seen at RAF Fairford on 22nd July 2019 (Photo by Steve Smith)

SA342M F-MGND being refuelled in Djibouti on 9th April 2015

XZ321 as seen at Bourne Park in February 2020

The Gaz Squad reports that the above airframe may be airworthy later this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post

Rumours of an Irish Gazelle

I have heard a rumour that RA-1739G c/n 1299 which is ex ZK-HTB, XX391 might now be in Ireland ?

Apparently a picture of it in a hangar was put on a site but sadly removed before I got a chance to have a look. The person who spotted it said it still had ZK-HTB in the cockpit ?

Anyone any ideas or heard anything ?

I thought it was in Germany, not Ireland.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aye, she is indeed in Germany and will make an appearance on the GazMart tomorrow.

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Steve, That has cleared that up. I think what has happened, is when it was posted on helicopter images the poster realised he had made a mistake by saying it was in Ireland and then took the post down. Germany it is then.

• SA341D G-CBSK (WA1914) ex-ZB627 as seen at Buckland Manor

North American Gazelle owner Anthony Chan seen with SA341F2 N918GZ (cn.1672) at Chino Airport in California

XZ323 as seen at Bourne Park on 18th January 2020 (Photo by Ben Sadler)

SA341F2 F-MCWP attached to 1er RHC as seen in 1995

Check out the latest Gazelle for sale on the GazMart

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some more lovely shots Sav, you also have the knack for finding great images.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Elipix! We also have a growing number of readers, some of whom send in photos and for which we are thankful.

And this provides an opportunity to remind anyone reading 'Shrieking Gazelles' who has a Gaz photo you would like posted, to send it to: aviafora1@gmail.com Grazie!

• Irish Air Corps SA342L '241' at Air Spectacular held on Fairyhouse Racecourse in August 1984 (Photo: Derek Gaynor)

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice one. I'm sure Avia member Joe will appreciate this.

Joe, if you're reading this, then check out the IH 206 visible in the background.

• SA341F2 N9334W (cn.1575) as seen at Page Field in Florida on 12th February 2020 (Photos by Robert Feliciano)

SA342J YU-HES (cn.1057) as seen in Swavesey, Cambridge in January 2020

Last month the owner of YU-HES visited MGOC Spares in Swavesey, Cambridge to collect a spare part for his MG. However, before leaving, he treated the staff to a brief spin in wee 'Hessie'.

Bravo Riccardo!

SA341B ZA775 (WA1817) as seen refuelling at Manchester Barton on 7th February 2020

Comment

• SA341G F-ZWRK making her filming debut NFI

Not entirely sure of the construction number for this one, Jos' records have it as no. 4 but I am mindful that those 'Z' registrations are often passed around among new aircraft.

I am also unsure of the name of this film, but can say that the craft was piloted during the movie by Dominique Gilles.

~ ~ ~

Because Aviafora is such a loving community, all of our Gaz owners are (obviously) taking their wives out to lunch today (via Gaz of course) as just one of the pre-Valentine's dinner treats they have prepared for their better halves. Because I am so proud of our members for doing this, I am sharing this song which can be played while flying your loved one to lunch!

Comment

• Rotorspot
                    Rotorspot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The movie is 'The destructors', known in the UK as 'The Marseille Contract'. See
                    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Destructors,_The
                    Scroll down the page to see a glimpse of the helicopter and of Dominique Gilles.
                    Further down the page a top view of the helicopter is shown, with its c/n 04 visible.
                    BTW, Dominique was the test pilot for the Citroen-Marchetti RE.2 helicopter.

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done, Jos!

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice one Jos!

• A harsh environment for helicopter operations. It would be a short-life for the turbine if not for the particle separator!

Comment

• SA341F2 ZU-RNV (cn.1608) as seen at Sun City, SA on 16th February 2020 (Photo courtesy of Jean-Pierre Lombard)

ZU-RLH with Jag at Nelspruit

An old'un, but seems to have been re-posted.

SA341D XW910 (WA1228) as seen at RAF Valley on 18th January 1984 (Photo by Taff Evans)

Seen here wearing a temporary camo scheme. Assigned to 2 Flight, Central Flying School.

Concept South African Air Force Gaz

Simulated SA342 thermal imager

This flying Vario SA341 is now for sale.

Tiger 20 is scheduled to commence on 10th May.

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looking forward to see what kind of Gazelle surprise the artists from Les Félins Squadron prepared for this year Tiger Meet!

• G-BBHU at Jersey in 1983 (Photo: Anton Heumann)

Btw, we recently posted here another image of the same machine but in different livery:

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...1858#post11858

Comment

• SA342MV F-MGCP (cn.4195) as seen at Aéroport de Rennes–Saint-Jacques on 23rd September 2016 (Photo by Sylvain Gourheu)

SA341B XZ325 (WA1635) as seen at Middle Wallop in June 1996 (Photo by Colin Norwood)

SA341H HA-LFX (cn.090) as seen at Nove Zamky Airport on 27th September 2014 (Photo by Varga Gyorgy)

Comment

• SA341G G-NONA (WA1108) as seen at Duxford on 27th September 2001 (Photo by Chris Young)

At least two more Gazelles in the background. These may have been MW birds.

Continuing the conversation on 1108 (as per Zis' shot further up of G-BBHU) here is another shot of the same girl, this time posing as 'grandma' at Duxford!

Grandma in Italian .. is 'nonna'!

Flying with ZU-RLU in South Africa

Comment

• SA.342M1 3947/GAS during Exercise Semper Thunder on Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, in June 29th, 2019. The exercise was a bilateral training conducted between the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit and French Task Force Jeanne D' Arc. (Photo: Nathan Reyes)

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We've got some video footage from this exercise 'somewhere' earlier in the thread. Will try and track it down.

• F-GETS s/n 1019 at Val de Loire in July 1988 (Photo: Alphajet.jpb)

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          IIRC this bird was written-off in a crash, although I don't remember the details.

• Helipixman
                          Helipixman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The records I have on F-GETS are the TSO logo was for Thierry Sabine organisation. Was this the Gazelle burnt out at Issy Le Moulineaux December 1991, a target of a possible arson attack ?

• Nigerian Air Force Gazelle

SA342L F-MMHG at Marseille-Marignane in Jan-Feb 2020 (Photo: Hervé Dermoune)

The information accompanying this photo attributes this aircraft to the Nigerian Air Force, and which is a mystery to me! Does anyone have any further details?

Comment

• Helipixman
                          Helipixman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the heads up Xbdt. Any further info appreciated

On the said list it mentions other Gazelles going to Tunisia, Egypt etc. Some of which I would also dispute. The list also mentioned that the majority of those going to either Niger/Nigeria were possibly still stored at Montauban. So it seems some of them have or are going elsewhere. Just shows you cannot trust what looked like a list from someone in the know ?

Hopefully you will let us know which 342Ms will be coming to you when the time is right

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So are we able to determine where F-MMHG (in the above photo) is going?

Also, is it just my 'wonky' memory, or is this the first Gaz I see with Armee de l'air titles?

• Fabrice
                          Fabrice commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not Nigeria, but Niger! This Gazelle is one of three former ALAT SA342Ms transfered to Niger Air Force, back in 2012. This one is cn 1547 (ex 3547 in the ALAT), regd 5U-MHG. It originally dsplayed the full registration on the tail boom, before the three last letters being displaced under the doors, replaced by the "armee de l'air" titles. I presume she has been sent back to Marseille for maintenance, or for any modification.

• Gazelles at Phalsbourg

Some pictures I took at Phalsbourg (LFQP) back in 2007 during celebration of 100y of helicopters.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice shots XB, grazie!

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          SA.341F 1451/CWE & SA.342M1 4145/CWO. Nice finding, XB!

• RN Sharks Display Team on Arthur Dixon's postcard

Comment

• SA341G G-BLAO (cn.1097) as seen in Israel in 1987 (Photo from the Elipix Collection)

We are very pleased to announce the release of a new rotary-wing book by one of our members.

Check Heli-Books for further details.

Félicitations Fabrice!

Comment

• SA342M1 F-MGCF (cn.2164) as seen in Île-de-France on 19th May 2018

SA342MV participating in Operation Barkhane in the Sahel in 2020

Comment

• Pink Floyd's Roger Waters with Gazelle

Comment

• md600driver
                              md600driver commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Photo looks like they are flying but sadly no

• Looks like The fenestron/Gazelle has some competition from Bell....

Photo Bell Helicopters

Comment

• Rotorspot
                              Rotorspot commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I think there are no actuators: thrust variation is accomplished through rpm variation of the electric motors.
                              Main benefits seem to be less noise,fail safety design, and increased safety on the ground (fans are stopped on ground).

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I wonder how many of the four fans are required to effect yaw control, because if three or more are required, then where is the redundancy? Also, if the two aft-most fans fail, the power requirement is going to surge because the yawing moment will have been shortened.

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bell already experimented with some kind of shrouded tail rotor

Working...
                          X