Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
    QP1 a truly rare shot, with thanks to its finder Jos, you deserve a medal for this one !! You have made my lockdown !

I can remember when she came back to the UK and was bought by Jack Havakin who registered her as G-HAVA.

Comment

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve, posted a couple of shots to remind us of G-HAVA

• G-HAVA

This was delivered to Denham via Manston on 6.4.97 as CS-HCZ. Registered to Jack Havakin on 16.4.97 but still noted at Denham awaiting delivery on 14.5.97, and cancelled 18.11.97 after its accident at Gamston 28.7.97

Full history is G-17-11, G-BBSJ, QP-1, F-GKMU, F-WYMW, CS-HCZ nad G-HAVA

Photo from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely shots as always Elipix! You really do 'hava' lot of great photos!

I've noticed that there were quite a few French Gazelles wearing this paint scheme, a single stripe interspersed by a staccato of angled vertical lines. F-GEHE, F-GJGT, the one above (probably as F-GKMU) and think there are others also. I am wondering whether these all belonged to one company or if this was simply a popular scheme at the time.

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have noticed that three wore the same type of scheme F-GEHE, F-GFDG and F-GJGT and all were at some time either operated by or owned by MTS - Movement Transport Service. One other I recall was I-OLLY !

Found a photo of F-GEHE I cannot remember seing before so I have posted it below

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie 'EliStar!'

• SA342M F-MCPF with 20mm gun NFI

SA341B ZB674 (WA1967) as seen on 6th March 2020

Gazelles TAD018 and XZ941 as seen at RAF Cosford on 11th May 2020

Qatar Apache Deliveries to Conclude this Month

Seeing as we've recently mentioned Qatar ..

Qatar is on schedule to receive its final Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian attack helicopter within the coming weeks.

The Qatar Emiri Air Force (QEAF) received the first of 24 Apaches during a ceremony at Boeing's Mesa production plant in Arizona on 14 March 2019. Boeing's Director, Vertical Lift International Sales, Terry Jamison, said that the delivery timeline is to have all helicopters delivered by the end of May 2020.

The Apache will replace the QEAF's ageing Aerospatiale SA342 Gazelle attack helicopters in the close air support, armed reconnaissance.
    https://www.janes.com/article/96002/...-by-end-of-may

Gaz Part Wanted

I am looking for a Gazelle Pitch Actuator, in any condition. Unit must have Log Card & reference to TSN.

Contact Tom Biggs Tel: +44 1594 524 808

Gaz Part For Sale

New SA 341 Swashplate Bearing

Contact Enrico Cosso: Tel: +39 349 101 5458

Comment

• Fabrice
      Fabrice commented
      Editing a comment
      The ALAT Gazelle coded CPF is a 341F2 (only 341s have been fitted with the 20mm side-mounted gun in the ALAT). The picture has been taken in Ivory Coast.

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie mille Fabrizio, much appreciated!

• F-GEHE

Photo taken by Fabien Campillo at Chambery 24.1.99 !

I have this a written off at Montevendre 21.3.97

On turning final approach the pilot turned left but the helicopter continued to yaw left and rotated approx 3 times before the rotors struck the ground. Pilot aged 49 had 1,993 hours TT with 28 on type !

Wonder if it got scrapped ?

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      On our 𝙂𝙖𝙯𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙚 𝘼𝙘𝙘𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙨 page (linked below) of the eight 𝙏𝙖𝙞𝙡 𝙎𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝘽𝙞𝙩𝙚 accidents recorded, three of the drivers had less than 10 hours on type, one had 12 and the others (bar one) had just over 20.

I need to look into that Swedish Gazelle accident again (as I can't recall now what happened) but I think the driver may have had '0' hours on type (as crazy as that may sound).

> http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...ident-database

• SA341G N341AH (cn.1032) as seen in the USA in 1977 during film operations

SA341C G-CBGZ (WA1915) as seen at Redhill c.2001 (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

SA341B as seen at Gosport on 11th April 2012 (Photo by Richard Flagg)

SA341G(S) YU-HEY (cn.1320) as seen at North Weald on 9th July 2009

Per Fabrizio

A Puma pic for you Fabrice, in case you don't have it. I haven't yet got a copy of your book so I don't know which photos you have.

Bundesgrenzschutz (Border Guard) Puma in Germany

Comment

• Fabrice
      Fabrice commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie, Sav! I will keep it preciously for the next edition, if it ever comes up!

• Gazelle's price tag from 1973

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Landing Lamp .. £430 in 1973 .. okay!

• SA342L HA-LFQ (cn.1854) as seen at Sandtoft Airfield on 10th August 2013 (Photo by Alan Jessop)

SA341B G-CDNO (WA1385) as seen at Breighton on 21st September 2014 (Photo by Chris Hall)

Comment

• Aérospatiale SA342J C-FEMF (cn.1058) as seen departing Vancouver International Airport in March 1987 (Photo by Mike Head)

Aérospatiale SA342J C-FEMF (cn.1058) as seen in Canada c.1990

Comment

• SA341C G-IBNH (WA1033) NFI (Photo by Craig Duffy)

SA341C G-SIVJ (WA2012) as seen Ha'penny Green on 4th March 2006 (Photo by Robert Beaver)

SA342 12879 NFI

Lebanese Air Force SA342 in 1980

Watercolour by Yannick Rouvrais

Antonio learning to fly!

One of our members has a set of Lama tail rotor blades available.

Check here for further info.

Comment

• Two nice pictures of Gazelle RA-1691G, taken by Pascal Brugier and reproduced here with his kind permission:

Both pictures taken on 20-Jul-2017 in Kamchatka, one near the Ouzon Vulcano, the other in the Valley of Geysers.

We are still hoping that someone will come up with an identity for this beauty.

What is the purpose of the cables running from the rear cross tube to the stabilizer end plates?

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          looks like Westland 341B or 341C

• noscoavia
          noscoavia commented
          Editing a comment
          'Cable' looks to be a HF radio antenna.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          These are lovely Jos, bravo! 👍

As 'XB' has mentioned, definitely ex-UK mil bird, and as Nosco has identified, almost certainly an HF antenna.

Not so sure about the landing pad (ie. how safe it is).

• SA342M1 F-MCGK (4180) as seen at Aérodrome de Montélimar on 2nd September 2012 (Photo by Laurent Quérité)

ALAT Gazelle maintenance NFI

SA341B as seen over the Irish Sea in 2005 (Photo by Robert Lakey)

Gazelles in Libya

A confidential UN report has disclosed that a United Arab Emirates (UAE) based company recently purchased six helicopters and two boats to raid ships off Libya in a move to support Khalifa Haftar in his ongoing war on Tripoli.

According to confidential reports the sale of at least $18 million in military equipment was made through a Jordan-based company owned by Fulcrum Holdings in the UAE.

A source who has seen the reports, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the committee got a tip off in mid-January that the UAE was trying to fund a special team of mercenaries to back Haftar.

"Fulcrum Holdings set up the company to carry out 'geological research' and used it to purchase three Puma helicopters from South Africa. The helicopters were transported to Jordan and then to Libya." The report added, citing the source as saying that it was unclear if South Africa's Starlite Aviation company sold the helicopters or mediated the transportation process.

The UAE-based company also bought three French-built SA341 attack helicopters from Gabon to deploy to Libya and two 20-person MRC1250 boats via Malta-based Sovereign Charterers for the mercenaries to use, according to Anadolu Agency.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg reported Friday that two Dubai-based companies sent 20 Western mercenaries to Libya to help Haftar forces seize Tripoli.

The source said the letter revealed 20-25 mercenaries went to Benghazi to receive the helicopters and boats, and the purchase of six helicopters and two boats were actually made to carry out raids on vessels off Libya, pull them to the coast and search them for military equipment.

Anadolu Agency said that against the risk of being noticed by satellite, the source said a logo of the Jordan-based company named was displayed on the helicopters and boats to give the impression they were doing performing 'geological research.'
        https://www.libyaobserver.ly/news/un...t-haftar-libya

N341ZL start and depart from Whiteman Airport, in the San Fernando Valley on 16th May 2020

Comment

• Rotorspot
          Rotorspot commented
          Editing a comment
          Two of the three 'Puma helicopters' are likely to be AS332L Super Pumas c/n 2032 (ex ZT-RYH) and c/n 2161 (ex ZT-RYK). I do not have details on the Gazelles.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie mille Jos! 👍

Regarding the Gazelles, is it possible that one of them was the white bird you mentioned some weeks ago and which we identified as RA-05702?

• Here are some military Gazelle movements followed by some Civil. It seems civil/private and recreational flights are now allowed in England. Scotland is a different matter we are still firmly in lockdown !

1.2.20 XW846 visited Exeter Airport (7 Regiment CF)
        5.2.20 ZB691 visited Exeter Airport (7 Regiment CF)
        5.2.20 ZB689 visited RAF Shawbury (665 Squadron)
        7.2.20 ZA775 was delivered from Fleetlands back to 665 Squadron via RAF Shawury and Manchester Barton

16.5.20 YU-HEY Private site Stanbridge to private Site St Albans and return to Stanbridge.
        17.5.20 G-BZYD Private site Ripe for a local flight then another flight over to Sandown area, Isle of Wight and return to Ripe.
        18.5.20 YU-HEY Morning flight from Private site Stanbridge to St Albans and returned in evening back to Stanbridge

Comment

• md600driver
          md600driver commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, we have been busy flying in the UK. We did 4 hours over the weekend in various Gazelles.

However, we can’t fly to Scotland/Ireland/Wales, but Europe is okay.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Elipix!

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          So not allowed to fly to Scotland/Ireland and Wales but Europe is OK ? I take it Europe is only OK for private flights ? The FCO are still advising against non essential travel ??

A few private helicopters have flown from Scotland down to England and back !

• SA341G G-FDAV (WA1108) as seen at Battersea in the 1990's (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

SA341C G-BZOS (WA1173) as seen at Redhill in the early 2000's (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

You are welcome to like and follow our FB page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
          So not allowed to fly to Scotland/Ireland and Wales but Europe is OK ? I take it Europe is only OK for private flights ? The FCO are still advising against non essential travel ??

A few private helicopters have flown from Scotland down to England and back !

There are flights tomorrow and most days to Paris, Amsterdam and Germany from Manchester. You can also get a ferry from Hull to Holland, these are just a few that I know about.

Comment

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            I just wonder who is using these flights when the UK Gov (FCO) are advising not to travel. There is also daily KLM flights from Amsterdam to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Its interesting because I have a holiday booked (booked it a year ago) soon and from what I hear the holiday operator is planning to operate it ?

• Unidentified SA341B at Badminton in 1984 (Photo by Stuart Mitchell)

Unidentified BAG near Detmold in Germany, possibly from 654 Squadron NFI

Unidentified BAG performing low-level ops, possibly in Germany

SA341G(S) YU-HOT (cn.1390) as seen at Stapleford on 17th June 2017 (Photo by Vince Horan)

Comment

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            According to an airshow report for Badminton Air Day on 15th July 1984 the two Gazelles were ZA776 (B) and XZ320 (D)

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Eli⭐ does it again! Grazie amico! 👌

• Tuesday 19th May 2020
          YU-HEY did its usual Stanbridge > St Albans > Stanbridge commute.

Wednesday 20th May 2020
          G-HSDL local flight from its home base.

Comment

• SA341B XX377 (WA1257) as seen at Malta Airport on 25 October 1976 (Photo by John Visanich)

John writes:

This Westland Gazelle operated with Salerno Flight which was attached to 41 Commando Unit based at St. George's Barracks in Pembroke, Malta, and is seen here making a rare visit to Luqa.

This helicopter was involved in a tragic incident on 6th June 1982 during the Falklands War when it was shot down by a Sea Dart missile fired by the Type 42 destroyer HMS Cardiff with the loss of all four persons on board. Cardiff had misidentified the Gazelle as an enemy C-130 Hercules. Although the helicopter's loss was initially blamed on enemy action, a subsequent inquiry (four years later) found Cardiff's missile to be the cause.
            Note the cargo hook.

SA341G G-BKLU (cn.1136) as seen at Silverstone in the late 1990's (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

Serbian Air Force SA342 training flight

Digital SA342 deck landing

Comment

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              There were three Gazelle AH.1s based at St. George's Barracks, Malta

XX377 (E) Think the friendly fire incident occured due to the identification systems being switched off as it was interfering with the weapons systems.
              XX381 (F) Preserved at Welbeck College
              XX383 (G) Stored at Stapleford Tawney

They all left Malta in April 1977 on RFA Sir Percival

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Elipix!

'𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙣𝙘𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙤𝙘𝙘𝙪𝙧𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙙𝙪𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙨𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙘𝙝𝙚𝙙 𝙤𝙛𝙛 𝙖𝙨 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙚𝙖𝙥𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙨𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙢𝙨.'

What a choice to have to make!

• 21st May 2020

G-EZZL Departed private site near Whitchurch > private site Great Bookham
            HA-HSG Breighton > Breighton (see video below)

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Elipix!

You would have thought some more Gazellers were out enjoying the good weather you guys are having!

Perhaps on the weekend.

• SA341G D-HAAF (cn.1111) as seen at Stuttgart Airport on 10th September 1993 (Photo by Ray Barber)

SA342M HA-HSG (cn.3615) at Breighton on 21st May 2020
            (Video courtesy of Stefano)

This is what happens when a Gaz driver comes out of quarantine!

Comment

• SA342L (cn.1854) ZU-RZR as seen in Gauteng Province, South Africa in May 2020 (Photo by Simon McDonnell)

SA341B ZB678 (WA1979) as seen at Manchester Barton on 27th June 2015 (Photo by Roger Lockwood)

Electric mini Tiger Gaz

Comment

• ZS-HYI was delivered to Heliquip in 1972, used also as Radio 702 Traffic Report/Patrol.

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed, I was waiting until the photo appear in public domain first
                  https://twitter.com/Heliquip/status/...747973/photo/1

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A wonderful action photograph and one that you two naughty boys have kept hidden for how many years ?

It is always great to see new photos for the first time.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  '𝘼 𝙬𝙤𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙥𝙝𝙤𝙩𝙤𝙜𝙧𝙖𝙥𝙝 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙬𝙤 𝙣𝙖𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙮 𝙗𝙤𝙮𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙠𝙚𝙥𝙩 𝙝𝙞𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙣 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙮 𝙮𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙨?' — According to my email records (Zis may be able to confirm) .. 8 years. 😁 Zis was waiting for it to enter the public domain (which it now has) while I was waiting to post on 'Shrieking Gazelles II' (coming 'soon' [hopefully next year] to a forum near you).

It is as you say, a wonderful action shot, perhaps one of the best ever.

• Cypriot Air Force SA342L during live fire exercise

ECU change on British Gazelle during Operation Granby 1991

For Jakub.

Gaz lift during Operation Barkhane in May 2020

During the above Gaz lift, the blades were loaded in the rear of the chook.

SA341F F-MBDB (cn.1092) at Dax Seyresse Airport in 1986 (Photo by Christian Malcros)

SA341D G-EZZL (WA1104) as seen at Duxford on 21st June 2019 (Christopher Murkin)

Comment

• Jakub Cikhart
                  Jakub Cikhart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WOOOOW, BIG thanks !!!!! Notice in the background another Gazelle with probably G tailcode. Any idea for serial ? Thanks !!
                  Last edited by Jakub Cikhart; 5th June 2020, 12:06.

• Another Egyptian Gazelle Identified

The following identity has been noted from a picture: Egyptian SA342L, serial 3369, is c/n 1714.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie mille Jos. You are welcome to post the photo when it is available.

• In the beginning there was an SA340 c/n 001 registered F-WOFH to F-BOFH to F-WOFH to F-ZWRF

Various sources quote the c/n changing to 01 (including the wonderful Rotorspot) when did this happen, because I cannot see any photographic evidence that it did, unless someone knows different?

A selection of photographs below show the changes and in all the examples the c/n remains 001 on the helicopter. In fact, the last photo shows the crude way in which they changed the 340 to 349z just by adding a curve to the 0.

All photos from the Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Super shots 𝗘𝗟𝗜𝗣𝗜𝗫 grazie mille! 👍

Does anyone know what the protrusions are which seem to be mounted roughly halfway along the main blade?

• Fabrice
                  Fabrice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A lot of different main rotor blades have been tested on the SA 340-001, as plastic blades were then a complete novelty; when SA 340-002 took to the air for its maiden flight, she had additionnal weights placed at mid-span of the main blades. We could imagine that such a device was also tested with the 001.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is very interesting Fabrice, as weights are typically used near the hub, usually as some type of damper.

I wonder if they were concerned with rotor inertia for purposes of autorotation when it came to the plastic blades and therefore installed these an an initial precaution?

• SA342M HA-HSG (cn.3615) as seen at Troutbeck Airfield in Cumbria in May 2020 (perhaps 23rd or 24th)

SA341G(S) G-OGAZ (cn.1274) as seen in Perth on 8th August 2009 (Photo by Robert Henderson)

From her days in Scottie!

SA342M F-MGOB as seen at Le Luc Le Cannet on 21st July 2013 (Photo by Rob Schleiffert)

SA341F2 N341RD (cn.1501) ex-FMBDC as seen in Florida in 2018

Libyan Gazelles: The Backstory

The 20 private military contractors (PMCs) who were evacuated from war-torn Libya aboard two Malta-leased RIBs and to Valletta, were aviation experts getting ready to operate assault helicopters, MaltaToday has learnt.

A full list of names in this newspaper’s possession clearly shows the men who arrived at the Valletta seaport on the Manta-1 rigid inflatable boat on 3 July were not oil and gas personnel, but PMCs with evident military experience.

The men were released from their arrest by police two days after the Maltese company that leased them the two RIBs, Sovereign Charters, accepted to pay a €15,000 fine for immigration irregularities.

Now police investigators have learned that the men were specialist pilots engaged to operate six utility and support helicopters, to be armed for “assault and interdiction operations”; as well as seacraft from Malta with maritime interdiction capability to target the sea supply route for weapons from Turkey to the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli.

They included team leader Steven Hodge, a pilot; and pilots Travis Maki of geosciences firm Bridgeporth, Ryan Hogan, and Matthew Coughlin; Andrew Furness was identified as the helicopter loadmaster in the mission; other PMCs were South Africans Sean Baker, a medic, Hendrik Bam, Christian Du Preez, Andre Greyvenstein, Gilliam and Joseph Joubert, Rudi Koekemoer, Quintan Paul, Lucas Schutte and Abel Smit; Britons Michael Allen, David Button, coxswains Sean Callaghan Louw and Andrew Scott Ritchie, a former Royal Marines commando, and Australian Richard Parish.

Business connections

The two RIBs were leased by James Fenech’s Sovereign Charterers to UAE firm Opus Capital Asset FZE, whose managing director Amanda Perry is the company secretary of Lancaster 6 Limited, a Malta company – as well as managing director of UAE firm Lancaster6 DMCC and CEO of L-6 FZE.

Lancaster 6 is owned by former Australian fighter pilot and sometime Malta resident Christiaan Durrant, a former associate of Blackwater founder Erik Prince.

Fenech is now the subject of a criminal case in which he is charged with breaching EU sanctions on Libya. Durrant is the CEO of the BVI-registered company L6 Group Holdings, which ultimately owns Lancaster 6.
                https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/n...n#.Xsywe2gzbIU

The men were released from their arrest by police two days after the Maltese company that leased them the two RIBs, Sovereign Charters, accepted to pay a €15,000 fine for immigration irregularities.
                Yes of course, because after all people traversing the Mediterranean in little boats from Africa and landing without permission in Europe really is unacceptable .. and dangerous too.

Hypocrites!

Meanwhile .. further East

Egypt is looking to upgrade and refurbish 43 of its AH-64D Apache attack helicopters to AH-64E standard under a deal that could be worth $2.3 billion. The US State Department approved the possible foreign military sale on 7 May and notified Congress the same day.

Egypt is a big user of the Apache, with 46 AH-64Ds in service. Its attack helicopter force also includes 46 Kamov Ka-52s received from Russia and it recently emerged that Egypt is operating a small number of Mi-24 attack helicopters.

These add to its fleet of roughly 60 surviving Gazelle helicopters armed with HOT anti-tank missiles. Egypt has been keen to diversify its procurement sources since the 2013-2014 temporary freeze in weapons deliveries from the United States following a military coup.
                https://defense.info/partners-corner...pter-upgrades/

Egypt has 60 Gazelles?

Last edited by Savoia; 26th May 2020, 19:57.

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think Egypt had 91 Gazelles !

4 x SA342K for Air Force
                  12 x SA342L for Army
                  75 x SA342L for Air Force

How many were built by the Arab British Helicopter Company at Helwan, Egypt ?

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

ECU change on British Gazelle during Operation Granby 1991

Are you sure they are changing the ECU? You don’t normally take off the 'A' frame when changing ECU, but you do when you're changing the head and there’s another head next to the aircraft.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ciao Stefano! I am not at all sure whether this is an ECU change, but that was the note attached to this photo. Your reasoning makes sense though.

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like a head change but you never know with the UK military they have strange ways of doing things !

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is possible of course that there was a head change 'and' an ECU change!

• Gazelle for Niger

SA342M F-MMHG (cn.3547) probably Marignane, possibly January 2020 (Photos by Alexandre Dubath)

SA342M F-MMHG (cn.3547) as seen at Marignane on 9th January 2020 (Photo by Hervé Dermoune)

This Gaz was evidently destined for Niger.

SA342L arrives in Lebanon from the UAE in 2007

SA341H 12631 (cn.1202) as seen near Podgorica (Photo by Menso van Westrhenen)

For Fabrice: Have you seen this Puma video?

Comment

• Fabrice
                  Fabrice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the link, good to see this good old Puma still soldiering on!

• Just found an interesting article about the early use of the Gazelle in the Army Air Corps around 1975

AAC 660 Squadron (Soest) XW892 XW893 XW896 XW897 XW899

AAC 661 Squadron (Detmold) XW904 XW908 XW909 XW911 XW913 XX373

AAC 667 Squadron (Netheravon) 2 Flight : XW905 XX370 XX372 XX375 XX378 XX379

3 CBAS (Coypool) XW912 XX376 XX377 XX380 XX381 XX390 XX392 XX393

GCF (Gazelle Conversion Flight) - (Middle Wallop) XW869/A XW885/B XW888/C XW889/D XW903/E

D & T Squadron (Development & Trials) - (Middle Wallop) XW847 XW849 XW851

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice info Elipix.

I posted some rare shots from Netheravon recently and it would be nice to get some images from Soest. I think we've posted one or two from Detmold and Coypool.

• AndyM
                  AndyM commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The 660 squadron list is probably from 1996. XW900 was the sixth Gazelle written off in pre Ireland training 1976

G-BZYD Ripe > Private site Near Tadworth, Surrey and then did a local flight around Leatherhead/Ashtead area and later on flew back to Ripe.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Elipix!

• Gazelle History

Some interesting Gaz history taken from the conversations above:

Sav wrote: Does anyone know what the protrusions are which seem to be mounted roughly halfway along the main blade?
                Fabrice replied: A lot of different main rotor blades have been tested on the SA 340-001, as plastic blades were then a complete novelty; when SA 340-002 took to the air for its maiden flight, she had additional weights placed at mid-span of the main blades. We could imagine that such a device was also tested with the 001.
                Sav responded: This is very interesting Fabrice, as weights are typically used near the hub, usually as some type of damper. I wonder if they were concerned with rotor inertia for purposes of autorotation when it came to the plastic blades and therefore installed these an an initial precaution?

SA340-001 (the first Gazelle) seen fitted with mid-span blade weights (Photo from the Helipix Collection)

Anyone with any further thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                X