No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA342J(S) F-GIBU (cn.1470) as seen at Wellesbourne Airfield c.2000's (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

SA341B XZ331 (WA1662) as seen at RAF Coltishall on 12th March 2005 (Photo by Richard Flagg)

Comment

• New Gazelle in South Africa

ZU-ROU SA341G, c/n 1137; ex N71PU, C-GVHC, N47308, C-GVIT, N90776

Registered 15-Apr-2021, owner unknown

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie mille Jos! 👍

1137 is the ex-Lamb Air Gaz.

Zis, do you have a record of this bird's ownership since its time with Lamb Air in the 70's?

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what I have about #1137: Aug74 CG-VIT to Lambair; Jun76 C-GVHC to Olympic Helicopters; Dec76 N47308 to Aerospatiale Helicopter Co.; Oct19 N71PU to QualitAir Llc. & Aug20 to Fresh Heli LLC.

First info to me she also had N90776!

• Originally posted by Fabrice View Post
      As a thumb rule, if you see an ALAT Gazelle without the doppler fairing (the square-shaped box underneath the aft fuselage), it is a 341. And if you see an ALAT Gazelle with a side-mounted gun, it is a 341 as well.

Fabrice, the doppler fairing is removed when the aircraft goes through the demilitarisation process when they leave the French military.

Comment

• Fabrice
        Fabrice commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed! And I assume some extra weight might be added somewhere in the nose to keep the W & B. But as long as the Gazelle is in ALAT service, if doppler you have, 342 it is!

• SA341D G-CBJZ (WA1734) as seen at Stuttgart Airport on 16th June 2021 (Photo by Mathias Thumm)

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at Breighton on 26th June 2021 (Photo by Derek Heley)

Its been a while seen we've seen 901, so this photo is much appreciated.

SA342M HA-HSG (cn.3615) as seen at Blackpool on 7th June 2021

Stefano with the Warrior at BLK earlier this month.

Comment

• SA342M as seen in Djibouti in June 2016

SA341G(S) YU-HHH (cn.1307) as seen in June 2021

'Triple H' shown above with pilot Steve Ashcroft.

Comment

• Hi, in the June issue of Le Fana Aviation magazine you can find second part of Rwandan air arms article. Info and pics include Gazelle SA-342L 2237/10K19 (F-ZKBE), 2237/10K18 (F-ZKBN) and a tail of 1872/10K09. I can post it but dont want to brake the copyright. Thanks !

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Photo from the Monograph 'Les 40 ans de l'ALAT' from 1995

A souvenir from the battlefield, #1872 tail fin.

• SA341B ZA729 (WA1798) as seen in Bunde, West Germany on 25th July 1980

ALAT SA342 NFI

SA341 (cn.103) in 1982 NFI

Zis, do have an ID for this craft? On Jos' list it is shown as an SA342L1 12872, but here on the fuselage cn.103 is shown as an SA341.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a chap in the workshop didn't bother himself with such 'trivia' as different SA341 & SA342 masks for applying the type lettering on the machine after they repaint it

It's indeed HO-45 12872 and the photo was probably taken in 1993. Her pilot at the time Coll. Veljko Leka (on the photo) was well known because of, among other things, over 600 medevac missions he did with his Gazelle during wartime.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie Zis, much appreciated. Making a paint stencil with '342' on it really isn't that difficult, but there we are, perhaps they were very busy.

600 medevac mission, really? That's an incredible number. Bravo to him!

• I have just read a small piece about Fleetlands giving a list of what is there either under maintenance or stored.

The list goes... XW846, XW865, XZ290, XZ326, XZ340, ZA731, ZA736, ZA766, ZB669, ZB671, ZB678, ZB679.

This leaves only a few believed to be active...confirmation needed though.

665 Squadron, Aldergrove
          XZ320, ZA772, ZB665, ZB690, ZB693.

667 Squadron, Middle Wallop
          ZB683

7 Regiment, Wattisham
          ZB691

The article also states that no aircraft are allocated to BATUS and the Unit appears to have been disbanded ???

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie Elipix!

Seven active Gazelles in the British Army? Wow! We are truly witnessing the last glowing embers of this craft's service in the British military.

By all accounts the Gaz was much-loved by the many hundreds of drivers who completed their rotary course while she served as the UK's primary trainer.

• SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) at Valley School in Bacup, Lancashire NFI (Photo by Michael Rourke)

SA341B XZ331 (WA1662) as seen at SPTA on 21st November 2006 (Photo by Rich Pittman)

SA342M F-MGEY (cn.4230) NFI

Yugoslav Gazelles

Comment

• Fabrice
            Fabrice commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, 4230 is a SA 342MA, i.e. a 342L1 fitted with AS 555 enlarged blades so that she can fly with MTOW up to 2100kg (like the SA 342M1).

• SA341G N341GL (cn.1413) as seen at Kenosha Regional Airport in Wisconsin on 19th July 2015 (Photo by David Jones)

SA341B ZB677 (WA1978) from 655 Squadron as seen at Koksijde Air Base in Belgium on 19th July 1986 (Photo by Trevor Bartlett)

Comment

• SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen in Burnley, Lancashire on 2nd July 2021

SA342M HA-HSG (3615) as seen at Eshott Airfield (Photo by Richard Pike)

Stefano, would you be able to provide a date for this photo please.

SA341F2 ZU-RRE (cn.1172) landing at
            Dullstroom in Mpumalanga on 1st July 2021

Comment

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              Cherokee related ? Eshott is a lovely airfield, very friendly people there, anyone remember the old Hiller stored behind the hangars ?

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Stefano! 👍

Haven't visited Eshott Elipix, but based on your comments I will try and visit there in the future.

Speaking of Hillers, did you know that there is an American-registered Hiller sitting in the Crabtree hangar at Breighton?

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I have seen the photos of N38763, this owner is not a stranger to Hillers. Way back he owned N62171 but sold it in Ireland. I was given the details of the new owner and during a trip to Ireland I located it and the new owner kindly pulled it out of its hangar and let me photograph it. He also had a Tiger Moth in the hangar.

• Avia Member Protected by the Hand of God

Avia member Liberio, owner of N37UP, has been protected by the hand of God during a recent incident which occurred near Lake Bolsena in the province of Viterbo in central Italy.

Liberio was flying with his passenger, the mayor of Capodimonte, when '7UP' came under fire, literally. 7UP received around six shots from a high-powered rifle causing damage to the cabin Perspex, the aircraft's belly and its tailboom. Two of the shots impacted the pilot's door directly opposite where Liberio was seated, but mercifully they missed him. In fact, and by the grace of God, both Liberio and his passenger were unharmed.

The Italian police are still searching for the shooter.

SA341G(S) YU-HOT (1390) as seen at Drina River in Bosnia on 4th July 2021

SA342M F-MGBA as seen at Grenoble Le Versoud on 22nd September 2020 (Photo by Pierrick Gallotti)

SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen at Manchester Barton on 17th June 2021 (Photo by Simon Edwards)

A small selection of discounted Gaz Parts:

https://gijoearmystores.com/?s=gazelle

Plus a starter geni:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324668122...sAAOSwCdRgwJTc

Comment

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              So glad that member Liberio is safe and unharmed, this is not something we expect in so called civil countries. I hope they catch the culprit. He deserves to be in jail.

In other countries such as Brazil, Rio etc this is a daily occurance for the police pilots - do they armour plate the underside of the helicopter in some way - BAG Gazelles I think had some with Armoured seats.

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              I still can't believe what I've just read about '7UP'?! Thanks God nobody got hurt. I believe the police would characterize this crime as 'attempted murder'.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Elipix, the police in Brasil have had a rough time for sure. When I arrived in Kenya in 1985, flying for Autair, I was shown a pair of 500 'C' models by the late Ted Goss, director of Kenya's anti-poaching unit. Both of these craft had multiple patches riveted onto parts of the fuselage where the poachers had tried their luck. Again, thankfully no crew fatalities. These aircraft had no armour at all.

𝑰 𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒛𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒂𝒔 '𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒖𝒓𝒅𝒆𝒓'. — If the motive can be determined, then it is quite possible Zis. The mayor of Capodimonte is a member of Lega Nord (the Northern League) and we have a number of enemies, so it is possible (but as yet unconfirmed) that this may be politically motivated.

There is another theory being discussed in relation to this incident and which involves the hunting of wild boar in the area. However, unless the pigs in Viterbo have learned to fly, I just don't see this as being a viable cause.

• G-ZZLE and HA-LFE

G-ZZLE SA341C (c/n 1402); New owner The Gazelle Squadron Display Team Ltd., East Hanney, Oxon. (per 14-Jun-2021)

HA-LFE SA341G (1527); cancelled, fate unknown

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie mille Jos! 👍

Zis, have you heard anything about HA-LFE in recent years?

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, no info regarding HA-LFE for a long time. Actually I don't know who owned it since it got VH-VAS registration.

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought HA-LFE was owned by the late Mark Weir and painted the same green as his other Gazelle, Did it not go into storage in Central England after his death. Do I remember correctly this might have been the Gazelle sold in Spain ? Again as usual have not got my records with me !

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
            I thought HA-LFE was owned by the late Mark Weir and painted the same green as his other Gazelle, Did it not go into storage in Central England after his death. Do I remember correctly this might have been the Gazelle sold in Spain ? Again as usual have not got my records with me !

Yes, that is correct.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for info confirmation!

• Nice photo of F-BVEI #1087 while operated by Électricité de France

You can see another photo of this aircraft earlier in the thread: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=1796#post1796

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Lovely Zis! 👌

• Gaz Squad Gazelles, including SA341D G-CBSK (WA1914) ex-ZB627 as seen at Old Warden on 4th July 2021 (Photos by A. Anderson)

SA341D XZ935 (WA1742) from No. 32 Squadron RAF NFI

Mechanical Supervisor Required for AAC Support Contract at Middle Wallop

Preferred Experience:
            • Experience of MRP 145 maintenance environment
            • Rotary-wing maintenance experience
            • Gazelle helicopter experience
            • HF trained
            • Full driving license
            Closing date: 15th July 2021

https://jobs.babcockinternational.co...8DY/689492001/

Comment

• SA341B ZA766 (WA1808) as seen near Portrush in Northern Ireland on 3rd September 2006 (Photo by Chris Patton)

I'm certain this shot has appeared before, but .. too good not to post again. The photographer writes: "Having dropped off Red 10 on the beach in West Bay, this Gazelle from Aldergrove then flew out to Ballykelly." Does anyone know what or who 'Red 10' may refer to in this narrative?

Also, speaking of red, can anyone offer some suggestions as to the 'red frisbee' we are looking at off the craft's port bow?

Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
              LFE, LFB and HEI.

Elipix, did Markus own any other helicopters that you know of?

And for those who haven't seen it, 'Mark's journey to work' posted below:

Gaz Squad Gazelles at Old Warden on 4th July 2021

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I think Markus owned an Enstrom, may have been G-COLL under the name of Taylor Air Services.

Yes I think Markus owned an Enstrom, may have been G-COLL under the name of Taylor Air Services.

Yes, Mark owned an Enstrom piston helicopter, can’t remember the reg number though.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                So that makes at least three Gaz flyers who began on Enstroms. Our own Stefano, the late Markus and Avia member Carlo whom we haven't heard from in a wee while. I did appreciate his description of the Gazelle's handling characteristics, that was nice.

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                I will check my records because it is interesting what owners flew/owned before the Gazelle. One of our members owned many Enstroms before moving onto the Gazelle. Enstrom F28, Enstrom 480

• First Gazelle in Norway

LN-ODE SA342M, c/n 4032, ex ALAT 4032; registered 11-Jun-2021 to Aeroservice AS.

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jos, good to see a new country being added to the Gazelle list. It was mentioned a while ago on here as a reservation but has taken months to actually appear.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie Jos! 👍

• SA341C G-ZZLE (WA1402) ex-XX436 as seen at Old Warden on 4th July 2021 (Photo by Richard Kirk)

G-ZZLE at Old Warden on 4th July 2021

SA342L HA-LFQ (cn.1854) as seen at RAF Waddington on 6th July 2014 (Photo by Jon Pumpkin)

Stefano with Michele.

SA341B XX453 (WA1454) as seen at RAF Waddington on 6th July 2014 (Photo by Jon Pumpkin)

AAC Gaz at Middle Wallop on 7th July 2021

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh the DH Comet Racer - seen many times at Hatfield open days built for speed a really beautiful British aircraft.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                '𝑶𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑫𝑯 𝑪𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕 𝑹𝒂𝒄𝒆𝒓 - 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒕 𝑯𝒂𝒕𝒇𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒅 𝒐𝒑𝒆𝒏 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒖𝒊𝒍𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒆𝒅 𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝑩𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒉 𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒇𝒕.' — Over the years I think we have established that we share many common interests and appreciations and the Comet Racer is certainly one of them. In fact, I would say that this craft pretty much epitomises the 'aviational verve' of the interwar years. It is as you say, a truly beautiful aeroplane.

I will check my records because it is interesting what owners flew/owned before the Gazelle. One of our members owned many Enstroms before moving onto the Gazelle. Enstrom F28, Enstrom 480

I don’t mind you using my name.

I have had a 28a, a 28c, a 280FX and a 480. I then bought a factory new 480. I've and a few Hillers and a few MD's, no Robinson’s mind you.

There are a few Enstrom owners who went on to own Alouettes and others who traded-up to MD's.

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                It would be a very large list of all the helicopters you have owned, I remember visiting you and you had a Gazelle and one of the MD's in the garden. Anything in particular put you off the Robinsons ?

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                '𝑨𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒄𝒖𝒍𝒂𝒓 𝒑𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒐𝒇𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒐𝒃𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒔 ?' — I think it may be a little unfair to ask this, given the limited space we have in our comments section.

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Very Funny Sav 🤣

• SA342J F-GOSO (cn.1057) as seen at Stapleford on 12th September 2004 (Photo by Mick Bajcar)

SA341G(S) G-TURP (cn.1455) as seen at Manchester Airport in August 1988

N505HA departure from Paris in 2020

RA-2520G as seen in Russia in 2019

Comment

It would be a very large list of all the helicopters you have owned, I remember visiting you and you had a Gazelle and one of the MD's in the garden. Anything in particular put you off the Robinsons ?

Many years ago I flew my 280FX to Sloane's at Sywell for a test flight in one of their newish type R44's. When I arrived, the CFI told me that it was quite windy, that the conditions weren't ideal for performing the flight and that we would rather put it off for another day.

I explained that I lived an hour away by air and that my Enstrom had managed the weather on the way there without problem, and so we conducted the flight. Afterwards, I realised that the Robinson simply wasn't as good as the Enstrom, so I decided there and then that I would buy a used 480, for there was one available at Shoreham and it wasn’t much more expensive if at all.

A week later I was at Shoreham with Dennis doing my 480 rating/training and as I also had an FAA licence I flew my new 480 home.

Last edited by md600driver; 9th July 2021, 08:40.

Comment

• md600driver
                  md600driver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I may add I have only had 4 cars in the whole time I have had helicopters

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Who needs cars when you can fly from your house ? I know of a chap who was banned from driving so bought a helicopter and flew to his local supermarket for shopping. Apparently he said, see if the police can catch me up in the sky.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  '𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝑰 𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒅, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝑭𝑰 𝒕𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒚, 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏'𝒕 𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒐𝒇𝒇 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒅𝒂𝒚.' — High winds (and sometimes even moderate winds), CG loading and negative g are not best friends of semirigid rotor systems which tend to require delicate nursing in such circumstances.

'𝑨 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒂𝒕 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒉𝒂𝒎 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑫𝒆𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒔 𝒅𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒚 480 𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈/𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒔 𝑰 𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒐 𝒉𝒂𝒅 𝒂𝒏 𝑭𝑨𝑨 𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑰 𝒇𝒍𝒆𝒘 𝒎𝒚 𝒏𝒆𝒘 480 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆.' — Bravo Stefano! 👍

'𝑰 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒅𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒐 𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒂 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒐𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒇𝒍𝒆𝒘 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒐𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝒔𝒖𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈. 𝑨𝒑𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒍𝒚 𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒅, 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒊𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒎𝒆 𝒖𝒑 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒌𝒚.' — I think there are a number of owners who began their helicoptering this way, including Roy Flood, the owner of Castle Air.

• SA342J N624EL (cn.1094) as seen at Aéroport de Sion in Switzerland on 9th July 2021

SA341G N505HA (cn.1022) stopping at Aérodrome de Namur for fuel on 9th July 2021 (Photo by Maxime Hindlet)

BATUS Gaz as seen 'somewhere' in England on 9th July 2021 (Photo by James Parkinson)

SA341D G-CBSK (WA1914) as seen at RAF Cosford on 9th June 2018 (Photo by Simon Brooke)

Comment

• Looking for any photos of 3615 when she served with the French military please.

Comment

• xbdt
                    xbdt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have this one:

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bravo XB! 👍

• Many thanks.

There are some areas on 3615 where she seems to have had some additional adhesive patches, perhaps the reflective stickers like the training aircraft have?

Comment

• Fabrice
                    Fabrice commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The ALAT training helos had dayglo patches kept for the entire duration of their service in a training unit, which could leave a print once stripped off. Could you provide more details about these adhesive patches?

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fabrizio, is there any way of knowing if 3615 was part of a training unit?

• SA342MV F-MGCJ (cn.4179) as seen at Aérodrome de Sainte-Léocadie on 12th July 2021 (Photo by Guillaume Berthon)

SA341B ZB689 (WA689) as seen at Middle Wallop on 2nd October 2013 (Photo by Neil Brant)

SA341F2 N383GZ (cn.1383) as seen in California in July 2021

Comment

• Re-visiting Gazelles C-GVHC (c/n 1137) and C-GXQE (c/n 1286)

These two Gazelles were destroyed in accidents, but miraculously emerged after many years. Their (confirmed) registration histories are as follows:

- 1137: N90776, C-GVIT, N47308, C-GVHC, N71PU, ZU-ROU

- 1286: N49499, C-GXQE, N341CF

With the help of some enthusiasts and this forum, the following has emerged.

C-GVHC was damaged beyond repair on 02-Dec-1980; officially cancelled 11-Apr-1984; reappeared as N71PU in Oct-2019.
                    C-GXQE was destroyed by fire on 22-Jun-1981, officially cancelled 04-Sep-1984, reappeared as N341CF in Jan-2020.

Both USA registrations were first registered to Hevolution Ltd and then to Qualitair LLC Trustee (plus some others). Hevolution Ltd is a (rather vague) Bulgarian company. Qualitair LLC is a German company allowing European owners to fly under an N-registration. So, it looks like the two were shipped from Canada to Bulgaria at some time. But perhaps only the data plate was shipped and used on other airframes. Like Enrico once stated: perhaps an RBD repair (Reconstruction By Dataplate!).

For those who are really interested; an online file for C-GVHC can be found at https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/o...8/1498?r=0&s=3

Use the 'next page' button to scroll through the pages. There must be a similar online file for C-GXQE, but I haven't located that one yet.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Some great investigative work there Jos, bravo! 👍

Aviafora receives an unusual amount of requests for independent information about Gazelles which are for sale and we therefore appreciate the ability to serve our members and visitors by providing as much information as we can regarding the background and history of various airframes.

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jos, you're the Boss!

• Originally posted by Fabrice View Post
                    The ALAT training helos had dayglo patches kept for the entire duration of their service in a training unit, which could leave a print once stripped off. Could you provide more details about these adhesive patches?

There was a sticker either side of the helicopter above the roundel. The vertical stabiliser also has marks where a sticker was and there are marks where stickers were on the top of the fenestron in the same place where the day-glow flashes were on training helicopters.

Does anyone know the exact colour the orange day-glow stickers were?

Comment

• SA341B ZB683 (WA1990) as seen at SPTA in January 2011 (Photo by Neil Brant)

SA342MV F-MGAX (cn.4018) as seen at Base D'Etain-Rouvres on 16th June 2021 (Photo by Adrian Stürmer)

SA342J YU-HEV (cn.1393) as seen at Stapleford in 2012 (Photo by Martin Uzzell)

Comment

Working...
                      X