X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice one Zis!

More news from Marrakesh

Gaz Questions

XB, just wanted to know .. is it mandatory that the rotor on the Gazelle must always be braked before shutting the engine down? This is what you see (without exception) but I was wondering whether it is also possible to allow the rotors to run down without using the brake? What would one do in the event that the rotor brake failed for example? Perhaps you could explain!

Comment

• Savoia, it is not mandatory to use the brake to slow down the rotors. The rotor brake can be applied from 170 RPM or below. BUT: at the end you have to use the rotor brake to avoid a blade on top of the engine exhaust. Therefore, you'll always see one blade in front of the aircraft. If one blade stops just on top of the exhaust, while the engine is running, the blade will start to melt as they are made of glass/resin fiber. If the rotor brake fails, simply shut down the engine before blade stop.

Comment

• Grazie XB!

More from the 2014 Marrakesh Airshow ..

Royal Moroccan Air Force SA342 Gazelle 'CV' as seen at the Marrakesh Airshow in April 2014 (Photo: Peter Steehouwer)

Royal Moroccan Air Force SA342 Gazelle 'CX' as seen at the Marrakesh Airshow in April 2014 (Photo: Peter Steehouwer)

Not to be left out .. the Royal Moroccan Police also had a presence at the show ..

Gendarmerie Royale (Royal Police) SE3130 Alouette II CN-AZG as seen at the Marrakesh Airshow

Gendarmerie Royale (Royal Police) SE3130 Alouette II CN-AZF as seen at the Marrakesh Airshow on 21st April 2014
        (Photo: Peter Steehouwer)

But .. a sad rumour from the show is that despite the best efforts of Aerotech in France to offer the RMAF up-graded Gazelles, the RMAF may in fact be preparing to replace them. This news is of course not a surprise but it will be sad to see another defence force lose their entire Gazelle fleet. However, as stated, this is only a rumour at present.

Comment

• Depends... I don't know how well they're maintained, but I think some other country would be very happy to get them. Especially if they decide to sell their Police machines as well ("stretched", Astazou XIV, VIP interior...).

Comment

• Yes, I suppose so although it's also likely that the fleet may be broken-up as there are not so many defence forces ready to buy a batch of 20 Gazelles, for example, the sub-Saharan countries which have bought Gazelles tend to buy them in small numbers.

I imagine that once the major military users of the Gaz are no more, that maintaining the remaining civilian-use Gazelles will become more of a challenge.

More North African Gaz ..

Egyptian 'Civil' Police SA342L on patrol over the Suez Canal on 8th November 2013 (Photo: Michael Stappen)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
              I imagine that once the major military users of the Gaz are no more, that maintaining the remaining civilian-use Gazelles will become more of a challenge.
              Oh, it won't happen in near future (see the last sentence of the article posted at the top of the page).

Comment

• Only in movies!

Comment

• Reminds me of the Gazelle-car you posted a while back!

More Gazelles in movies!

This movie (while not the best in terms of acting skills, plot and script) is nonetheless something of a 'classic' in respect of the helicopter scenes. I've tried to wind it forward to the point where most of the Gazelle flying occurs (around 1hr 20mins) and which involves a stretched Gaz, N341BB.

The film is probably best known for Larry Kirsch's (the stunt pilot of the 500C) skillful negotiation of two storm drains and which remarkable piece of flying can be seen at 44:30.

Larry Kirsch was sadly killed in 2000 in a tragic CFIT accident involving an EC130 in Hawaii, while Larry Hagman died in November 2012. RIP to them both.

Comment

• More Gazelles from Egypt ..

Egyptian SA342 during live fire exercises in 2014. The Gaz in the background appears to be wearing the new 'Civil Police' markings

Comment

• Heavily armed for civilian police!

Judging by the lettering itself (which looks like a sticker), I'd say these Army machines are just "on loan" to Civil Police.

Comment

• Not sure about G-CIEX nothing showing on g-info but XW851 is now G-CIEY and could be at Deighton.

Paul J Kelsey

Comment

• md600driver
                          md600driver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ciex and ceiy are both a crabtree farm deighton

• Hey Paul, nice to "see" you here

Up-to-date with UK Gazelle info, as usual Much appreciated!

Comment

• Ciao Elipix!

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                          Heavily armed for civilian police!
                          Maybe they got the idea from a 1980's movie!

More Moroccan Gaz .

Close-up of Royal Moroccan Air Force Gazelle gunsight

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                            XW851 is now G-CIEY and could be at Deighton.
                            I thought XW851 was scrapped for parts and used as donor for XX411 restoration project back in 2007.

Perhaps the plan changed in the meantime?

Comment

• A friend of mine now owns XW851; the tail boom comes from ZA726.

The aircraft is to be restored.

Comment

• Hi xbdt

That would fit as the cab only was stored at RAF Shawbury and departed by road 24th February 2009 to a company called RAMCO Ltd in Lincolnshire and then moved on to VTOL Tri Services in Durham (Date unknown). So I guess our mutual friend purchased it from them ? This is one of the older Gazelles about c/n 1021 first flight 10.5.73 so will be great to see it restored.

Helipixman

Comment

• It can be difficult tracking the history of each machine!

Some photos of XZ936 over the years -

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                                    Gary Gazelle commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    the 2011 shot isn't XZ936, it's just another HT3 (933 I suspect) fitted with a tail that was once on 936
                                    note the paint on the tail in the first shot, it's just an old HT3 tail boom.

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                  Some photos of XZ936 over the years -
                                  In 2004 it looks as though they added a RAF tail, then in 2011 a RAF cab before finally painting it in the Empire Test Pilot School colours!

Comment

• Sept 2013, XZ936 was still untouched in the same shed. Instead of the John Deere tractor, there is an old Saab.

Comment

• Royal Air Force SA341D Westland Gazelle HT3 ZB627 as photographed near Kemble Aerodrome on 4th May 2014 (Photo: Giel Sweertvaegher [Apron 6 Photography] from Ghent)

Comment

• Cyprus Air Force (formerly Cypriot National Guard) SA342L1 '353' as seen in Nicosia, Cyprus on 1st October 2008 (Photo: Savvas Petoussis)

Comment

• All 4 Cyprus Gazelles are based at Lakatamia AFB south of Nicosia, operated by 449 Mira Antiarmatikon Elikopteron (Anti-tank Helicopter Squadron) and armed with HOT missiles.

Btw, nice pic Sav, where did you find it?

Comment

• Apparently they started with 8 Gazelles. Have emailed you the details and will post a couple more also.

Here is one of 353's companions:

Cyprus Air Force SA342L '355' over Tseri near Nicosia in Cyprus on 17th May 2010 (Photo: Dave Hedges)

Seen low level near Tseri just a few miles South of it's base at Lakatamia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                                              Apparently they started with 8 Gazelles.
                                              Are you sure about this info? I never notice more than four Gazelles there. Of course, I don't count those UNFICYP ones http://www.unmultimedia.org/s/photo/...6/0106559.html

Comment

• No, am not counting the UN Gazelles and my mistake - apparently it was 6 and not 8.

A total of 6 aircraft were ordered in the initial batch, though only 4 were initially delivered. Source
                                                More Cypriot Gaz ..

Cyprus Air Force SA342L Gazelles '353' and '355' flying in company over Cyprus

Comment

• Cyprus Air Force SA342L Gazelle '354' departing Lakatamia Air Force Base in the district of Nicosia Cyprus

Comment

• Let's visit Greece.

SA.341G c/n 1566 at Koropi Island 6th April 1997 (photo by Don Hewins)

Comment

• Nice to see the Gaz in Greece!

Did Greece have just the one civilian example?

Comment

• Nope, two more (SX-HDC & HDK)

Comment

• Gazelles in Greece

Okay, well we hope to see something of HDC and HDK in the future!

Comment

Working...
                                                          X