Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Gaz ..

Note that in Iraqi-English .. the word aviation is spelt slightly differently.

Comment

• The general levels of English throughout Iraq are not very high, so this mistake is not so surprising.

Iraq had a large Gazelle fleet, almost 90 of them, delivered from 1976 to the late 1980's.

Some of them were lost during the Iran-Iraq war (mostly killed by Iranian Cobras), some downed under "normal" circumstances, but mostly during the Allied operations in the Gulf back in the 1990's and in 2003.

I assume part of the original SA.342L fleet survive until today, reinforced by 6 SA.342M machines which were withdrawn from ALAT and sold to Iraq 2007. These were fully refurbished with “zero-houred” airframes by Aerotec.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
        The general levels of English throughout Iraq are not very high, so this mistake is not so surprising.
        Indeed. As a result one of the Generals decided it would therefore be safer to use shorter words and so they renamed the Army Aviation unit .. the Iraqi Air Force!

Iraqi Air Force SA342M Gazelle YI-298 of 88 Squadron as seen at Al Taji Air Base in 2010

Comment

• SA341G YU-HMC as seen at Stapleford Aerodrome on 19th May 2014 (Photo: David Reeves)

Formerly G-KANE (aka 'Citizen Kane').

Comment

• More Iraqi Gaz ..

A former Iraqi Gazelle '5853' getting ready to be scrapped

Comment

• There are always thousand interesting remaining parts on these airframes. Let me know when you have access to such remainings.

Comment

• Okay, non c'è problema!

As well as many Gazelles sitting in Iraq it is also worth keeping an eye one those Gazelles which might become unairworthy.

A friend of mine in the UK tells me there is a Gazelle sitting in the south of England (see photo below) that hasn't turned a blade for a long time.

SA341D Westland Gazelle HT3 G-CBSH (formerly RAF XX406) as seen at Rochester Airport on 22nd December 2013 (Photo: David Moth)

Despite having not flown for some time, this helicopter has a valid Permit to Fly until 2015.

Regarding no flying operations, what is the longest you can leave a Gazelle without running the engine before you start encountering problems with seals drying-up and so on?

Also, back to an earlier discussion on engine overhaul prices, do you happen to know the approximate overhaul price for the Allison 250-C20 engine (as used in the JetRanger). My understanding is that a complete overhaul comes in at under USD 100,000. If so, then why the huge difference in the overhaul cost between this and the Astazou?

Comment

• md600driver
                  md600driver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  this gazelle has been collected now and is being prepared for flight

• Well, the engine can be preserved for a long time, but it depends in which conditions of course. It is not good to have a helicopter sitting outside unprotected. Not only for the engine, but the whole drive train, plexiglass...

Engines can remain in their packaging for 20 years I think, but outside, it is better to run it at least once every month. I had a Eurocopter tech visit and he told me that I better run it every week. Of course, they'll sell parts sooner then.

I don't know what the OH cost is of an Allison, but I doubt that it is only 100k. Maybe extending the times by replacing only some parts or so.

I thought OH an Allison was more around 400k. Normally, a complete overhaul (and making it ZERO time) is about 70-80% cost of a new engine.

Comment

• Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                  I thought OH an Allison was more around 400k. Normally, a complete overhaul (and making it ZERO time) is about 70-80% cost of a new engine.
                  I don't know for certain the Allison overhaul cost but, if I remember correctly, is used to be under $100k but .. I will concede .. this was many years ago! But let's say it has risen to $200k .. this is still only a fourth of the cost of an Aztazou overhaul! I have a feeling that Turbomeca are extremely expensive and, if this is so, then it is perhaps unsurprising that the Gazelle was not more popular in civilian commercial operations.

Still, it would be good to know the facts when someone comes along who can tell us.

Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                  It is not good to have a helicopter sitting outside unprotected.
                  Indeed and in this case, at least according to the photo, the rotorhead has been left uncovered also.

Can you please indicate what the air intake at the very front of the upper cowling is for. Is this to cool the main transmission? Is this intake also meant to be covered when the aircraft is sitting outside?

More Hebrew Gazelles ..

We looked at some Hebrew Gazelles on page 10 where this aircraft was mentioned:

SA342L 4X-BHH (cn 1787) as seen at Herzlyia Airport (just north of Tel-Aviv) on 14th June 2004 (Photo: Yuval Lapid)

At the time of this photo the aircraft had apparently been 'abandoned' for some time at the airport but still under the ownership of Chim-Nir Aviation. Zis mentioned that this aircraft is now flying as HA-LFG but .. there is some suggestion that she may have been re-registered as ZU-RHH although this is unconfirmed.

Comment

• md600driver
                    md600driver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i can confirm that i bought her and got her overhauled in hungary as halfg she was later sold to south africa her owner has now bought a 2nd gazelle 342L1 froim me

• I will ask what the overhaul cost is for the Allison, then we will know for sure :-)

The rotorhead needs a rain cover (only when it rains of course) to prevent water dripping into the MGB.

The opening at the front of the gear box fearing is indeed to cool the main transmission. There is no cover or plug for this intake.

Comment

• I also think that HA-LFG is the same as ZU-RHH now. Hungarian flag is still there, high skids, 342, no sliding vents in the doors, no vents in rear doors...same helicopter to me!

Comment

• Okay, grazie mille XB!

More Hungarian Gaz ..

Hidroplan Nord SA341G Gazelle HA-LFL at Veszprém Szentkirályszabadja Airport in Hungary on 17th June 2014 (Photo: Ádász Zoltán)

This past Tuesday one of Hidroplan's Gazelles was involved in the funeral arrangements for the late Lt. Col. Gödri Dezső, a Hungarian Air Force Mi-24 pilot. HA-LFL carried the Colonel's ashes from Veszprém Szentkirályszabadja Airport to his resting place.

More details here.

By the way, I was wondering how it must be to fly in Hungary .. "Veszprém Szentkirályszabadja tower .. this is Gazelle Hotel Alpha .." etc. But, I suppose if one speaks the language it shouldn't be a problem!

Comment

• md600driver
                        md600driver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        i fly in hungary a lot near the main airport one can find english speaking but out in the sticks that is harder

• Zis, what about this?

Not bad for hand-crafted mahogany!

Mahogany Gazelle

Comment

• Among numerous desktop Gazelle models I've seen so far, this is the best one in terms of in-scale accuracy:

In the early 70's a French company named Metel & Cie produced a limited number of these 1/24 models for Aerospatiale. These were mainly presented as gifts for their "VIP" customers and senior management. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to find them today. I was very lucky to find this second hand (but slightly damaged) example a few years ago.

The rotorhead & blades (above) are state-of-art brass filigree work!

Btw, although mine looks like a wooden-made model, surprisingly I discover it's kind of painted epoxy/plastic moulded... probably as your one above.
                        Last edited by Zishelix; 20th June 2014, 11:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                          Among numerous desktop Gazelle models I've seen so far, this is the best one in terms of in-scale accuracy:
                          Very nice too!

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                          I discovered it's a kind of painted epoxy/plastic moulded... probably as your one above.
                          Yes quite possibly although on their website the modelers are saying:

The wood used in the fabrication, known as King Mahogany, is not painted in the finishing phase so the natural beauty of the wood’s grain adds distinction to the hand-crafted model. The wood receives a base protection which prevents drying out and cracking. Occasional cleaning maintenance with a citrus-based oil product is sufficient is keeping the collection piece beautiful even after year after year of display in your company office or private home.

Comment

• If so, then the price doesn't appear too high.

Comment

• Indeed!

They also say:

The fabrication of our models is partly achieved in Canada where we perform all product development, research, design and quality testing in Val-Morin, Quebec and partly in our Asian workshop where the actual hand-crafting is undertaken.
                              I imagine their 'Asian workshop' to be somewhere on the Indian-subcontinent (where most of the world's artisans are these days .. at least in wood and stone) and which would no doubt help in keeping the price down.

Comment

• SA341G stretched Gazelle (cn 1509) N340SM as seen at Cheltenham Racecourse on 11th March 2014

Previously G-CDJT.

G-CDJT at Stapleford Aerodrome c. 2007 (Photo: Helipixman)

Comment

• SA341G F-GEHB (cn 1099) conducting engine runs at Chambéry Aix-les-Bains Airport in August 2003 (Photo: Emmanuel Person)

Comment

• More Citizen Kane!

Before YU-HMC (see post #454 above) became G-KANE, she flew as G-GAZI. Here are a couple more shots:

G-GAZI - Panel

Now as G-KANE - Fenestron

Comment

• More Gazelle Panels ..

Not actually sure which Gazelle this belongs to:

Gazelle Panel by Bob Kember

Comment

• This is the panel from HA-LFC.

Comment

• Grazie XB!

What didn't help is that on the photo the registration had been 'covered over' on the instrument panel.

HA-LFC cockpit

HA-LFC

XB, in post #470 above the panel in G-GAZI is a small lever mounted on the main window spar below the compass. Do you know what this might be? In the top photo of this post it looks as though there may be something similar.

Comment

• This is the cabin fresh air vent. All Gazelles have this. :-)

Comment

• Grazie XB!

More 340SM ..

SA341G N340SM as seen at Zürich International Airport on 28th May 2012

Comment

• A brief look into a "candy store"

Soko Mostar factory, mid '80s

Comment

• Nice one Zis!

A batch of British Army Gazelles waiting to be sold. Seen here stored at RAF Shawbury in 2009

Comment

• SA3314G F-GEQA (cn 1274) belonging to Gyrosud as seen at Cap-de-Long in the Hautes-Pyrénées of France in 1989 (Photo: Frédéric Rolland)

Now flying as G-OGAZ.

Comment

• Ukrainian Gaz ..

SA341G UR-CSAG as seen at Berdyansk in the Ukraine on 19th November 2007 (Photo: Igor Bubin)

Comment

• More from the Ukraine ..

SA341 UR-ACCA

Comment

Working...
                                                        X