No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know Sav, thin stripes on SFTH were black and then she become G-OAFY (then G-PAGS etc) wearing different c/s. But on the other hand, she was badly damaged as N62406 in an accident back in 1980 so maybe the new UK owner replaced (damaged?) tail boom before she became G-BLAP. Sadly, I have no pic of G-BLAP to check the theory.

Comment

• Steve has said that it could be an ex-QinetiQ Gaz tailboom so .. perhaps that is the answer!

Check-out Rotor Leasing's
      new website .. and also a video which CB posted a while back:

Comment

• How to wash a Gazelle ..

Drive it to the back of the garage of course!

SA341G(S) YU-HVZ (cn 1295) as seen at Best in the Netherlands on 19th October 2014 (Photo: Jeroen Stroes)

In the Netherlands they have something called 'Zwarte Piet' (Black Peter) or Black Pete .. so maybe I can provisionally call this craft that .. until a 'better' name comes up!

Comment

• SA341G F-WTNV, probably French Alps, probably 1970's

Comment

• Another one for the "Gaz in snow" collection.

SA342J s/n.1393 F-GCCZ sitting atop the French Alps sometime in the 1970s (Photo collection: Jean-Marie Potelle)

Comment

• Nice one Zis!

More Snow Gaz ..

SA342J F-HGUN (cn 1058) departing that wonderful aerodrome, Courchevel, earlier this year on 2nd March 2014 (Photo: Gilles Paccalet)

By the way, I quite like those Gazelles which have tinted roof perspex. On the JetRanger this was often blue but I've seen on the Gazelle that it is mostly green.

Herewith is an example from my godfather's old company:

Ferranti Agusta-Bell JetRanger (showing Deputy Chief Pilot Christ Hunt) depicting the aircraft's blue roof perspex

Comment

• More Snow Gaz .. and seeing as Steve mentioned QinetiQ:

Westland Gazelle SA341D-HT3 ZB625 (assigned to QinetiQ) as seen at Salisbury Plain on 10th February 2012 (Photo: Rick Ingham)

Comment

• Royal Marines Westland Gazelle SA341B XX380 (cn WA1268) as seen at Bardufoss Airport in Norway on 26th January 2004 (Photo: Anders Forseth) Gazelle from 847 Squardon

Gazelle Christmas gift for one's children or grandchildren:

http://www.trainsandplanes.co.uk/avi...it-p-2269.html

Comment

• Season's Greetings!

For those who have stuck with Aviafora this year, I extend my thanks, while at the same time apologising that, in particular, the new Nostalgia Thread isn't quite as diverse as the old. However, we are still at the beginning of our journey, so .. who knows what may happen in the times ahead!

As has become obvious, our 'Shrieking Gazelles' thread is by far the most popular on the forum, and my thanks go out to Zishelix for having begun this discussion, and for his ongoing contributions. His enthusiasm for the Gazelle is contagious
                    — for I have found my own interest in the Gaz steadily growing!

Thanks also to Xavier, Kurt and Steve for participating, and for sharing their first-hand knowledge of the Gazelle with those less familiar with its operations.

While Aviafora is a joint effort between myself and Phil Croucher, it is Phil who has laboured with the forum software, who performs the ongoing site maintenance and who hosts the site, and for which efforts I extend my thanks on behalf of all who visit the forum. Please bear in mind Phil's organisation, Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training, which provides comprehensive training resources and study materials relating to PPL, CPL and ATPL examinations for both fixed-wing and helicopter pilots. Phil has authored several best-selling training manuals (including the 'Helicopter Pilot's Handbook') all of which are available from his aviation resources site here.

Life is obviously about more than Gazelles, or even helicopters generally, and at this time of year we are given a special opportunity to reflect on what matters most
                    and to convey this to those we care for.

With this in mind, I extend my best wishes to you and your loved ones for a very Merry Christmas!

Sav

Comment

• KurtLefebre
                      KurtLefebre commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Happy new year to all, thanks for this great forum !

• Let me join Sav in sending Christmas wishes to those reading Aviafora and to thank everyone who has contributed on Shrieking Gazelles for making this thread so interesting!

Last edited by Zishelix; 23rd December 2014, 14:59.

Comment

• Another take on HGUN ..

SA342J(S) F-HGUN (cn 1058) as seen at Courchevel Aerodrome in France on 8th March 2014 (Photo: Fabien Campillo)

Comment

• Mainly Sea Kings and Lynx, but, there are a couple of Gazelles right at the very end!

Sea King HC4's from 845 Squadron with Lynx AH7's and two Gazelle from 847 Squadron at Bardufoss Airport in Norway on 17th February 2004 (Photo: Anders Forseth)

Comment

• HA-LFA: Hungary, January 2011

Comment

• A motorway rider:

and from a driver's point of view:

How about some "Beware of low flying helicopters" signs?

Comment

• Lol, nice to see those 'extraordinary' videos again!

SA342J cn. 1094, formerly F-GJGT, has been registered as N624EL on 29th Decmeber 2014.

Many thanks to Jos Stevens, owner of Rotorspot

Comment

• xbdt
                                xbdt commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That is correct, so now you know :-) I'll post a picture of it soon.

• Grazie XB!

If you get a chance to fly 1094, please can you tell us something about the difference in handling qualities between the 'regular' and stretched Gazelle.

~ ~ ~

Jeremy Parkin, owner of HeliHub (whose news items are featured on Aviafora from time-to-time) is assisting in the compilation of historical material relating to helicopter operations at Brooklands race track in Surrey, England. This includes G-BAGL which was based at Brooklands for about ten years from the late 80's to the late 90's.

Herewith a bit of Brooklands memorabilia:

Brian Angliss' SA341G (cn 1067) G-BAGL outside the Autokraft factory at Brooklands in the early 90's

And an on board video of G-BAGL flying from Brooklands to Port Solent via Goodwood:

More G-BAGL on page 21.

Comment

• A toy for the whole family!

N700SH at Koksijde in August 3rd, 2014 (Photo: Laurent Heyligen)

Comment

• KurtLefebre
                                  KurtLefebre commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Fly-In Koksijde, 2014 with the kids :-) Thx for the photo!
                                  Mind the white/red striped windsock :-)

• The Kurtcraft looking good at Koksijde. 'Little Kurt' proving true the adage, 'like father, like son!'

Herewith another logo concept for the Belgium and Netherlands Gazelles ..

More Snow Gaz ..

Westland SA341G(S) Gazelle (cn WA1065) F-GBMC

Perhaps the only Westland-built Gaz to be stretched? No idea on the location or year .. but hoping Zishelix has the details in his comprehensive database!

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                                  Perhaps the only Westland-built Gaz to be stretched?
                                  Correct.

Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                                  No idea on the location or year ...
                                  Not sure about the exact location, but at the time of the photo (early 1980s) it was operated by the company called Mont Blanc Helicopters, so...

Comment

• Grazie Zis! Was sure you would know something about it.

MBH are still very much 'alive' and are based in the Rhône-Alpes region of south-eastern France so, 1065 was most likely in that area and may have been one of MBH's first helicopters? As you know, she was sold to Italy after that, and where she met her tragic demise, thanks to a manufacturing fault by Aérospatiale.

Ten years ago today ..

Royal Marines SA341B Gazelle (cn WA1268) XX380 being off-loaded at Bardufoss Airport in Norway on 4th January 2004 (Photo: Anders Forseth)

This Royal Marines Gazelle was being delivered to Norway courtesy of a C-17A (ZZ173) from 99 Squadron Royal Air Force who were delivering Gazelles (and other types) for cold weather training exercises.

I think this should probably be labelled as 'cheating' however - because the drivers should really be required to fly their Gazelles cross-country in order to 'earn' their cold weather experience!

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                                      Gary Gazelle commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      this was the last deployment to Norway with Gazelles for 847NAS. Previously (as 3 Cdo BAS) we did used to fly them there

• As promised, first pictures with the new registration :-)

Comment

• Thanks! The new reg fits nicely.

By the way, any news regarding Belgian/Dutch Gazelle fly-in?

Comment

• KurtLefebre
                                        KurtLefebre commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        The spring/summer of 2015 is probably best. The Belgian weather is not that predictable :-) Will keep you guys informed.

• Nice one XB!

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                      By the way, any news regarding Belgian/Dutch Gazelle fly-in?
                                      Speaking of which .. the last BENEGAZ logo design (for now!):

'The X-Craft' - N341AS
                                      'The Kurtcraft' - N700SH
                                      '505' - N505HA
                                      'Black Pete' - YU-HVZ

Comment

• So the latest BENEGAZ acquisition (N624EL) could be called "El Stretchy"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                          So the latest BENEGAZ acquisition (N624EL) could be called "El Stretchy"
                                          Yes that is one possibility or .. I was thinking that being on the 'N' register .. 'Nellie' might be another!

But .. do we know whether 'Nellie' will in fact become a Benegaz .. or will she to France return?

Having been 'forced' (along with my brothers) to attend school in Britain, it is impossible not to associate the name Nellie with the word 'elephant'. This is because of a song performed by the delightful Mandy Miller, entitled 'Nellie the Elephant', and which was a popular children's tune in post-war Britain.

And .. I have a story involving this very song!

At the British boarding school I attended we had a history teacher who enjoyed singing. In nearly every lesson he would find a reason to introduce a short song for us all to sing. He would justify this by saying that we needed to learn about 'recent' history (especially from the two wars) and, as a result, most of the songs he chose were from the World War I and II era.

One one occasion his choice for the day was 'Nellie the Elephant' after which I raised my hand and proffered the question, "Sir, have you ever considered taking the music class?" Now, this question (hand on heart) was most sincerely intentioned because it was clear to me that our history teacher truly loved to sing (despite not having a very good voice) and I genuinely wondered whether he wouldn't find some satisfaction in taking the music class from time-to-time.

Well, my concern for our history teacher's musical inclinations was not well received. In fact, after proffering my question he glared at me, then changed colour and then ordered me to come to the front of the class. I think he thought I was trying to be sarcastic or funny .. or both! In fact I was too young to be able to appreciate the humour of sarcasm but, either way, my remark had somehow struck a nerve.

In order to 'address' what he perceived as misconduct, my punishment was to write 50 lines on the blackboard while the class continued their lesson - and I remember the line well .. "I shall not ask my teacher impertinent questions" .. accompanied by the stern warning that if I misspelled 'impertinent' I would be made to re-write the entire 50 lines!

During this chastisement, the teacher went off to get something, at which point I altered the line I was writing to read "Mr Turner (the name of our history teacher) loves Nellie the Elephant" (and which I admit was very bad behaviour .. but I think I justified this action because, according to my understanding, my question had been well intended). The class typically (and immediately) erupted into laughter whereupon (in a cloud of chalk dust) I rapidly erased the offending line.

Mr Turner was on the scene as quick as a flash and found me duly writing out my lines, but - correctly sensing that I was the cause of the outburst from the class, pointedly asked me what was going on. Shrugging my shoulders and intimating the text books my classmates were pretending to read, I suggested "It must have been something they read". The teacher then turned to the class and asked them what they had been reading, whereupon in entire class in perfect unison, looked at the blackboard!

Thankfully dear old Mr Turner decided there had been enough excitement for one day and gave up any further investigation of the matter.

There are several versions of 'Nellie the Elephant' (the elephant from Bombay who escaped to 'Hindustan') but the original recording was performed by Mandy Miller, recorded in 1956, when she was age 12.

Mandy Miller as seen in the 1958 movie 'The Snorkel'

And here is the recording of Mandy singing Nellie the Elephant .. plus an additional track 'Its Time to Dream':

And all because of a Gazelle parked in XB's hangar!

Comment

• N624EL is not mine, but from a customer. He'll fly with it in France like before.

Comment

And all because of a Gazelle parked in XB's hangar!
                                              Re: Sav's reminiscence - remember Mr. Proust's literal talent was sparked with just the taste of a cookie.

Xbdt, thanks for your kind explanation. I wonder how come N-regs become so "popular" in EU airspace ...

Comment

Yes that is one possibility or .. I was thinking that being on the 'N' register .. 'Nellie' might be another!
                                                Even better, quoting the N & J letters in her designation, how about Norma Jean!

Comment

• "Re: Sav's reminiscence - remember Mr. Proust's literal talent was sparked with just the taste of a cookie."

Not so familiar with Proust's writings but .. I do like Madeleine cakes - although I haven't tried dipping one in tea!

"I wonder how come N-regs become so "popular" in EU airspace ..."

I think there are probably various benefits regarding licencing and maintenance requirements - as with the Yugo and Hungarian options.

"Even better, quoting the N & J letters in her designation, how about Norma Jean!"

Lol, nice one!

~ ~ ~

As the Twelve Days of Christmas have now come to their conclusion, let me wish our readers a very Happy Epiphany!

Be sure to check-out today's Epiphany story on Aviafora!

Comment

• Some of us who has no luck to deal with real Gazelles playing with scale models... trying to "upgrade" an old Heller 1:50 SA341 kit into the 342J standard

Comment

Working...
                                                    X