Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just heard a rumour about a possible Gazelle crash (being a write-off) at Stapleford about 1 week ago. Haven't seen anything in the official circuits yet. Is this rumour correct?

Cheers,
    Jos Stevens
    www.rotorspot.nl
    Well done Jos, this seems to have slipped through the net.

GAZ DOWN STAPLEFORD

Type: SA342J
    ID: YU-HET (cn 1204)
    Date: 6th July 2015

An SA342J Gazelle, cn 1204, registration YU-HET, has crashed at Stapleford Aerodome in the United Kingdom on 6th July 2015.

Reports indicate that an aircraft mechanic was performing a post-maintenance ground run when the helicopter inadvertently became airborne, reaching a height of approximately 10ft, before crashing to the ground.

Substantial damage was sustained to the aircraft's undercarriage and tail boom.
    Additional report: http://helihub.com/2015/07/06/06-jul...stapleford-uk/

Most company SOP's now preclude mechanics/engineers from performing ground runs, because there have been quite a few of these incidents over the years in various parts of the world.

You may see a photo of YU-HET on page 19.

Comment

• Black Pete in Germany yesterday:

Comment

• SA342J YU-HES (cn 1057) as seen at Halfpenny Green on 18th July 2013 (Photo: Simon Adams)

Ex-F-GOSO and N341NA among others.

Comment

• GAZ DOWN: COUNTY LONGFORD, IRELAND

Type: SA341D
          ID: G-BXTH (cn WA1120)
          Date: 15th July 2015

Ex-RAF Westland Gazelle G-BXTH crashed last night in County Longford in the Republic of Ireland while trying to land in a confined area in the village of Abbeyshrule.

The helicopter was seen hovering for some 5 minutes prior to the crash, at one point attempting to land in an alternative location. The pilot eventually decided to land on a small strip of grass alongside a canal at the rear of the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule.

While in the final stages of the landing, the helicopter's main rotor struck the building, causing the Gazelle to immediately crash.

The two persons on board sustained only light injuries.

AN.

Crash site photos:

Additional reports:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0715/715...icopter-crash/

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...ash-lands-pub/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0716/715...r-abbeyshrule/

Additional photos here

Comment

• What? Another one down in just few days?!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems to confirm the statistics which say that July is the month with the most helicopter crashes. Always very sad to see these things though - but, mercifully (and as with Stapleford) no serious injuries.

• Originally posted by Savoia
            Initial unconfirmed reports suggest that this 'may' have been G-BXTH.
            Looks like G-BXTH to me.

Comment

• G-BXTH, indeed... I doubt some of similarly painted Russian Gazelles were there at the time!

Comment

• G-BXTH

Here are some videos related to the crash:

Attempted landing before the crash:

The crash:

CCTV video footage

The video shows at the moment the rotors hit the pub the tail boom separates and ends up in the canal !

More crash photos here.

Another sad day in the Gazelle world - glad pilot and pax ok though.

G-BXTH in better days at Helitech, Duxford (Photo by Helipixman)

Comment

• Regarding G-BXTH, we have lost another lovely Gazelle because someone behaved like a . !!!

A Special Tribute to SA.342J c/n 1204 YU-HET

This Gazelle crashed last Monday (See post #1231 above)

As F-GFDG at Courchevel January 13th, 1989.

Same registration, different livery at Lyon Bron Airport in June 12th, 1993 (Photo: Fabien Campillo)

Repainted F-GFDG at Manchester Barton in May 4th, 2003 (Photo: Phill Rawlins)

and finally as YU-HET at Stapleford Tawney in September 26th, 2005 (Photo by Helipixman )

Sadly, I have no photo of the helicopter while it was registered TG-KOV (Guatemala) back in late 1970s

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Zis this is very nice, well done!

Do you have any more images of her wearing the red livery as shown in your top photo taken at Courchevel?

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not in digital format, unfortunately.

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Helipixman does !!

• G-BXTH UPDATE

Irish air accident investigators take photos of G-BXTH at the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule, on 16th July 2015

Irish air accident investigators take photos of G-BXTH at the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule, on 16th July 2015

An Irish air accident investigator takes photos of G-BXTH's interior at the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule, on 16th July 2015

G-BXTH is unceremoniously lifted by a tractor from its crash site at the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule, on 16th July 2015

G-BXTH is 'tractored' from its crash site at the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule, to the nearest road access, on 16th July 2015

G-BXTH is lowered onto a lorry nearby the Rustic Inn, Abbeyshrule, on 16th July 2015

Comment

• More F-GFDG.....

Two more photos of c/n 1204 F-GFDG

(Helipixman collection - photographer not known)
                    Note second Gazelle behind !

(Photo Helipixman collection)

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazi amici !!

Next up .. any clues as to the 'MTS' titles on F-GFDG?

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MTS is for the owner Sarl MTS Helicopters, registered to them 31.8.89 - Mouvement Transport Service.

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ah Elipix .. you're on form today .. grazie !!

• G-BXTH

According to newspaper reports the pilot of G-BXTH was arrested at Dublin Airport. His passenger has been named in reports as being a director of an aviation company at Abbeyshrule airfield which is very close to the crash site. Begs the question what was so important to try and land in a confined area. I would'nt even try and fly my large RC Helicopter through fear of it ending up in the canal.

Comment

• I think the answer to your comment is probably best expressed as .. x 100 !!

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll call it "Park The Vehicle As Close To The Pub's Entrance As You Can" syndrome ... I see such guys every day, luckily over here they just drive cars!

• Agreed Sav!

Re: c/n 1170 F-GEHE

This is the Gazelle behind F-GFDG..

(Helipixman collection - photographer not known)

Sadly crashed 21.3.97 at Montvendre at 08.30 am. On final approach pilot turned left but helicopter continued to yaw left 2-3 rotations and struck ground. Pilot aged 49 TT 1993 with 28 on type.

Wreck last noted at Chambery in 1999

Comment

• Putting the Gaz to bed:

Zis, any clue as to which craft this could be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                        Zis, any clue as to which craft this could be?
                        N341SH, I'd say.

Btw, quite elegant way to ground handle a helicopter!

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie Zis. I didn't pick out the registration from the video .. so well done.

• As that looked like Gazelle pilot Anthony Chan (who makes that mover) I would guess it's the ex-French Gazelle he normally flys. N342GZ a 342M.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ciao Steve, Zis seems to think its N341SH .. but at least this has resulted in us getting to see N342GZ from Elipix!

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post
                        As that looked like gazelle pilot Anthony chan and he makes that mover I would guess it's the ex French gazelle that he normally flys. N342GZ a 342m
                        With all due respect, it's SA.341F on the video... beside, the registration is visible on her tail fin plate

Comment

• Looks like N341SH to me also.

N342GZ is registered to Universal Pacific Investment Corp. So is this company Anthony Chans or does he just fly the Gazelle for owner?

Anthony Chan has had N552T registered to him since 1.10.99

N341SH

N342GZ

Helipixman
                          Last edited by Winco Sav; 19th July 2015, 19:31.

Comment

• Another mystery Gazelle....

Found this while trawling the net. A Gazelle cab was used in building a truck for the TV Series Highwayman in the late 80s.

It was designed and built by a Jon Ward and the truck is currently owned by HighwaymanInk of Suphur Springs, Texas as a mobile tattoo service.

Zis... know its identity?

Apparently in the film a concealed Gazelle would emerge and fly away from the truck.

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Zis, didn't you post something about this in the past?

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ah yes, the Highwayman's Gazelle!

Actually there was two Gazelle airframes which took role in that TV movie. First one was a cabin from an w/o machine (still don't know from which one) incorporated into a Mack truck chassis. The second one was an airworthy „stunt“ SA.341G as can bee seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIsLX_j2oQw

Of course, ther was also a scale model „doubler“ for the scenes with special effects

• SAF Gaz .. (South African Gazelles)

SA341G ZS-HUR as seen at Rand Airport South Africa on 6th April 1990 (Photo: Bruce Perkins)

SA341G ZS-HUR as seen at Rand Airport South Africa on 6th April 1990 (Photo: Bruce Perkins)

Haven't yet had a chance to track down the serial number or find out which other registrations this craft has flown under.

Comment

• ZS-HUR was/is No 1277, HA-LFJ now.

In the meantime she was G-WMAN

At Newtownards in June 2003 (Photo: Paul McAllister)

and YU-MAN

Photo taken at Redhill in April 2007 by Martin Stephen

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Zis. Seems she's been wearing this colour scheme for many years. Do you know where she is located these days?

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                As I said, HA-LFJ with Hidroplan Nord http://www.hidroplannord.hu/english/...html?gals_id=2

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Okay grazie. Wasn't sure if perhaps she was still operating in the UK but it seems she is in Hungary now.

• I will ask Anthony Chan myself, as I have just arrived at Oshkosh and will be meeting up with him later this evening or in the morning.

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Steve. Have a good visit.

• Egyptian Gaz

Egyptian Air Force SA342L

Egyptian Air Force SA342L

Egyptian Air Force Gazelle pilot Ali Mostafa

Egyptian Air Force Gazelle pilot Ali Mostafa

Egyptian Air Force Gazelle - Cockpit view

Comment

• Thanks Sav, always interesting to see some "exotic" Gazelles

A sleek painted G-IBNH (exXW853 c/n 1033) spotted few days ago at Norwich International Airport (Photo: Keith Newsome)

-------------------

By the way, speaking of demobbed Navy machines, I wonder if any of you might know identity of the airframe which appeared in this movie. I assume it's an WA.341C because of a pair of UHF antennas under its nose.

Sav, FYI I am about to take my summer vacation and which means I may not be on forum much until mid-August.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Can't seem to find much written about this aircraft - but I don't think there have been so many yellow and white Gazelles. If it didn't actually fly (in the movie) then I suppose it may also be a 'maintenance' or un-airworthy airframe?

Have a good summer break!

• No sound .. but some nice close-up shots of prototype no. 3, an SA341 cn. 03 registration XW276 as seen at Yeovilton on 5th June 1971:

Comment

• WOW, what a great footage! Nice finding, Sav

Comment

• L'armée de terre SA342 'CXB' as seen at Sarajevo Airport on 15th December 1995:

Comment

• Gaz Fly By ..

Comment

• SA341D G-CBJZ (cn WA1734) as seen 'somewhere' in France on 7th September 2014 (Photo: Mark Burmarrad)

SA341D G-CBJZ (cn WA1734) as seen 'somewhere' in France on 7th September 2014 (Photo: Mark Burmarrad)

Karl Theurer's former RAF Gazelle (ex-XZ932 and 3D-HGW) as seen in France last year.

Comment

Working...
                                        X