No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-DFKI WA1216 at Breighton on August 20th, 2015 (Photo: Matt Smart)

Steve, re: N901B, maybe you know why the previous owner painted her nose perspex that way? Perhaps he wanted to make it look like an EC-120?

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      I see someone managed to get G-DFKI's tail clean at last!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
    Steve, re: N901B, maybe you know why the previous owner painted her nose perspex that way? Perhaps he wanted to make it look like an EC-120?
    Yes your'e probably correct, as she does look a bit like a 120!

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      A bit like someone wanting a Ferrari to look like a Toyota

• HT2 G-ZZLE (XX436) (cn WA1402) HT3 G-CBSI (XZ934) (cn WA1736) as seen over Mullion, Cornwall on 31st July 2015 (Photo: Peter)

Comment

• SA341G N9000E (cn 1471) as seen at Long Beach Airport in California in 1984

Comment

• Oh yes, good old N9000E ... a sad story, destroyed in a crash at Yamhill in Oregon in May 1992. One fatal.

This aircraft was manufactured in 1976, was probably delivered by Vought Aircraft and was owned by Wright Airlift International at the time of this photo.

Link to NTSB accident report.

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks... I'm glad to see my lousy-invested-spare-time (my wife's words!) isn't totally wasted

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha .. well it certainly isn't 'wasted' on Shrieking Gazelles!

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment

• Soko-built Gazelle HA-LFR as seen at Thruxton Aerodrome (between the FAST and Heliwork hangars) in the late 90's
        (Photo: Michael Rice)

Comment

• md600driver
          md600driver commented
          Editing a comment
          HA-LFR is now known as HA-PPY presently in Hungary but UK [BARNSLEY] owned and based.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Steve. More Gazelles in Yorkshire!

• And before LFR she was HA-VLA... the first Gazelle in Hungary!

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          The first Gaz in Hungary .. great stuff! Do you happen to know which year she arrived in Hungary?

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Presumably during 1996

• Two ex-French military Gazelles have made it onto the USA aircraft register:

N140GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1400
        N565GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1565

Both registered on 02-Oct-2015 to AEROSPATIALE SA34X INC, WILMINGTON, DE

Cheers,
        Jos.

Comment

• Interesting. Much appreciated Jos!

Comment

• Unlike the sturdy Yak-40, the delicate Gazelle needs extra protection when parking out in the open overnight!

No details on the Gazelle under the covers, but I am guessing from the contour of the exhaust and the shape of the anti-collision light, that this is a demobbed military machine.

Comment

• Another take on Steve's new stretched 'G'.

SA341G(S) N901B (cn 1410) as seen at Breighton Aerodrome on 20th September 2015 (Photo: Steve Blee)

Comment

• Middle Eastern Gazelles

Gazelle of the Iraqi Air Force (no further details)

Desert Gazelles

Army Air Corps ZB675

This Gaz crashed into the desert in Saudi Arabia on 10th January 1991 after the main rotor struck the ground during an 'unauthorised display'.

Comment

• Former Crabtree Gazelle ZU-RZR in South Africa October 2015

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Luxury in blue-red combination

• UK MoD Gazelle Maintenance Contract

The Air Commodities Team, part of the UK Ministry of Defence, intends to place a repair, spares and post design services contract with Goodrich (UTAS) Wolverhampton to support the Gazelle Main and Tail Rotor Actuators for a maximum period of 4 years commencing 1.1.2014.It is considered that this contract can be placed using the negotiated procedure without prior publication of a contract notice pursuant to Article 28(1)(e) of Directive 2009/81/EC (Regulation 16(1)(a)(ii) of the UK Defence and Security Public Contracts Regulations 2011) for technical reasons.

https://www.publictenders.net/node/3089668

Comment

• The People's Liberation Army of China obtained eight anti-tank attack SA.342L's in the late 1980s. It was part of the PLA's preparation to resist a possible invasion by Soviet armoured troops from their northern border. As the PLA's first generation attack helicopters, the Gazelle fleet was mainly used to study and test various anti-tank tactics.

Comment

• Come and take a look inside ..

and the "Perspex door enigma“ (see post #1367) finally solved.

All photos courtesy of Aviafora member Steve.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie Zis!

Well that was fast work Mr Crabtree! Does this mean you did't fall 'head-over-heels' in love with her previously butterscotch interior?? Lol!

• French Army Gazelle 360 cockpit view, enjoy!

http://www.helicomontagne.fr/QTVR/Sp...elle/1024.html

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        First time for me to see a 360 cockpit view of the Gaz, very nice!

• GAZELLE REGISTER UPDATE

I mentioned earlier that G-ZELE, a Gazelle HT.2, c/n 1007 was cancelled on 14-Sep-2015 and shipped to Australia.

She has now been registered as VH-OIW (on 06-Oct-2015) to Boomerang Aviation PTY LTD.

Cheers,
                      Jos.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for info, Jos! Now need to find a photo of VH-OIW... none could be found on the Internet so far.

• md600driver
                        md600driver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was Checking Yesterday
                        VHOIW has arrived in Australia but was still in its container in pieces in Australian customs awaiting clearance

• ZB684 AH.1 S/N 1991 from AMS Brize Norton on static display at Waddington Air Show July 3rd, 2010.

Unloaded from a flatbed truck

and settled for static display

As far as I know ZB684 is still in Brize Norton (since 2006)

Comment

• md600driver
                        md600driver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ii will remember that serial number and if it ever comes up for sale I will check the tie-down rings. That is not the way to lift a Gazelle. I am surprised they didn't pull the tie-down rings off! It would have been far easier to lift it from the head.

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think the machine is w/o, anyway. However, inappropriate ground handling I agree.

• VH-OIW

Last UK owner as G-ZELE was Nova Aerospace.

Just checked the address for Boomerang Aviation Pty Ltd and it links to Nova Aerospace so still the same owner !

Helipixman

Comment

• MoD Gazelle Numbers

This recently published Ministry of Defence report entitled 'UK Defence in Numbers' states (on page 7) that Britain still has 10 'Combat Support' Gazelles as well as 45 Gazelle 'Attack Helicopters'.

There was a time when information on military assets was considered confidential but, those days seem to have long since passed.

ps: Since the early 90's I have been saying (and do still say) that European national governments will continue to downscale their military forces as part of a globalist agenda which will eventually argue that the only way for EU member states to retain political and military 'relevance' is by merging their assets into an EU defence force. Initially each participating country will have proportional representation but, it won't be long before that is cast aside and this force managed by an appointed chief who will slavishly pursue the EU's political agenda - often above the considerations of its member states. Some have yet to see it, but the world we have known post WW2, has come to an end.

pps: If you look carefully in the linked MoD report (dated August 2015) you may notice reference to 7 x Jet Provost and 4 x Wessex and which I thought was quite interesting.

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                          There was a time when information on military assets was considered confidential...
                          Democracy and open society in its best

• SA342J(S) YU-HPZ (cn 1473) as seen at Manchester Barton Aerodrome on 12th October 2015

Comment

• Gazelle entering warp speed!

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Last week we had a Star Wars Gaz .. this week its Star Trek!

• Army Air Corps SA341B ZB691 (cn WA2006) as seen at Salisbury Plains Training Area on 1st October 2015 (Photo: Frontline Images)

This craft attached to 671 Squadron of the Air Corps No. 7 (Training) Regiment.

For another shot of 691, see the previous page.

Comment

• ZB691 is a veteran of many campaigns during last two decades

Comment

• First serially produced Gazelle (S/N 1001) F-WIEP. A commemorative postcard issued for the 31st Salon International de l’Aéronautique et de l’Espace at Le Bourget.

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Lovely! Do you know which year this aircraft was produced?

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                In May 1971, I believe

• Contract Notice

MoD seeking contractors for the installation of Traffic Avoidance System (TAS), Global Positioning System (GPS), and a 2nd VHF Radio by a MAOS approved contractor on up to a maximum quality of 25 Gazelle AH 1 Helicopters.

http://www.government-online.net/emb...modifications/

Comment

• One has to laugh !!

A few posts above (#1401) entitled "MoD Gazelle Numbers" I highlighted some potential 'question marks' relating to a recently published MoD report on the UK's military assets. I see that in today's Independent there is an article commenting on this report.

Some of their comments include:

Eye-brows have also been raised by the inclusion of nearly 100 Gazelle ..
                                Justin Brink, a research analyst at the Royal United Services Institute, said: “It’s certainly disingenuous to include the Wessex and Jet Provost, as well as the Sea King and Gazelle as they are being fully retired.”
                                Meanwhile Admiral Lord West, a former Labour security minister and Royal Navy commander, told The Independent on Sunday that the document was so “misleading” that he “wouldn’t be surprised if it included the Battle of Britain memorial flight” of Spitfires and Hurricanes.
                                See the Independent's report here.

At the end of post #1401 I indulge in one of my little rants about my ongoing concerns over the EU, and specifically the 'dangers' of allowing national military strength to decline in favour for (what I believe will be) an integrated EU Army. Two days later this report came out in Breitbart.

To keep up-to-date on the truth surrounding the EU agenda and how it will change our children's lives forever, check-out Storm Clouds.

Comment

• When you don't know what to do with a Gaz!

Plucked from the skies to serve as a gate guardian at Thales Avionics in Valence, southeastern France

Thales' Valence facility is used for the development of aircraft navigation and flight management systems.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I also like the paintwork on this Gaz. Perhaps one day we will see something similar on a flying example!

• Rotorspot
                                  Rotorspot commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  This seems to be Gazelle c/n 1642, ex ALAT, which used to be displayed at the airbase in Valence. See

http://www.pyperpote.tonsite.biz/pfa...e-de-Terre.jpg

Greetz,
                                  Jos.

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Well discovered Jos!

• British Army Gazelles

SA341B ZB665 (cn 1932) landing at Oban Airport in Scotland during Operation 'Joint Warrior' October 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X