• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Yi-ha! Ride 'em cowboy!

Low flying, indeed

• xbdt
      xbdt commented
      Editing a comment
      The ALAT train their pilots to fly the Gazelle at night at 50cm AGL at 250km/h.

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Brings back memories from my spraying days, although we didn't fly quite that fast but, uniquely, we did spray at night!

• Smoking Can Harm Your Health!

Comment

• SA341F2 ZU-RLD (cn 1659) as recently seen in South Africa with Gavin Rynders:

Comment

• Calais turning into war zone
        • Radical Islam greater threat than Nazi Germany ever was
        • EU brings out regulations for candles (yes candles!)
        • Brits oppose EU Army (for now)
        Read the latest at:

Comment

• I think I may have missed posting this earlier in the year but, as they say, better late than never!

Comment

• Zis, any idea as to which aircraft was used for setting this record?

Comment

• I did find another stamped envelope to commemorate the same feat:

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice one Jos! But amazing that again they didn't put the aircraft details.

• With big thanks to Aviaforan "XBDT" who kindly shared this nice photo with us. The "brand new" VH-OIW above the shoreline near Adelaide yesterday!

Comment

• xbdt
              xbdt commented
              Editing a comment
              former G-ZELE, XW845

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

• Cheers!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Salute Zis!

• F-ZWRH CONFIGURATION

In Jos' link relating to the 'record breaking' Gazelle, the image displayed on the Airbus website appears 'wearing' an enclosed rotorhead and unique transmission housing as follows:

But in my collection of this craft she appears like this:

SA341 (prototype No. 01) F-ZWRH as seen at Cannes Mandelieu Airport on 28th May 1972 (Photo: Sud Aviation Archives)

Zis, can you confirm that this is in fact the same craft and, if so, do you have any other images of her with the redesigned rotorhead and transmission housings?

See more F-ZWRH here and here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
              Zis, can you confirm that this is in fact the same craft and, if so, do you have any other images of her with the redesigned rotorhead and transmission housings?
              As far as I know, that was the same trial machine.

I don't have any other photos of 'Oursin' (French for 'sea urchin') which was the name given to this aircraft, except for a similar one which I posted on page 3.

Comment

• I-PNIC

#002 at Trento Mattarello on November 4th, 2015 (Photo: Cristian Magro)

Snow Gazelle:

And a smaller version of I-PNIC in her previous colour scheme:

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Zis! All very close to home.

• SA341C G-SIVJ (cn WA2012) as seen at Ha'penny Green on 30th January 2010 (Ex-RN ZB649)

Comment

• The same machine on a ground handling trolley in a hangar at Six Ashes (Halfpenny) in September 2010.

Comment

• Gaz with 'Gumball'

SA341D G-CBSI cn. WA1736 (ex-XZ934) with Guimball Cabri G-SDTL as seen at Bourne Park (2015)

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks like Cabri is related with Gazelle

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, XZ934's baby!

• Not sure if we already have this one here… never mind, it's an interesting c/s anyway.

G-CHMF (WA.341B s/n 1999) seen at Grand Central, a small privately owned airfield located in Midrand, halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria, SA on November 22nd, 2013 (Photo: Keaton Perkins)

The same machine today flies as ZU-RNO.

Comment

• Can you hear it? No? Of course not, she's in silent flight mode!

A scene from a classic - Blue Thunder movie.

Comment

• With the excellent Roy Scheider at the helm, one of my favourite actors, perhaps best known for his quote "You're going to need a bigger boat!" from...........

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrian Batchelor View Post
                        from...........
                        ... from another classic!

Gosh, I remember when this movie was just filmed... but I don't feel like a "senior citizen".

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ... but I don't feel like a 'senior citizen'.

This is called 'positive thinking' (although some health professionals also call it denial) but let's stick with the positive thinking label!

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Sav, let me just say - I'm glad you not defending me in court... I'd probably get a life sentence!

• Adrian Batchelor
                          Adrian Batchelor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good answer Zishelix ,still an excellent film for me ,trying not to stray of topic to far the follow up film Jaws 2 or 3 if i remember and not checking apart from eating a Hughes he devours a Cessna 310 maybe the Hughes was for starters!!!!

• I didn't like Jaws, because Jaws ate helicopters!

But these Sharks are okay ..

Royal Navy Sharks by Richard Cooke

But .. if we really must have a Jaws .. then I suppose this one's okay:

Enstrom 280C Shark G-JAWS (cn 1174) as seen at Leicester Airport on 2nd August 1984 (Photo: Brian Johnstone)

Comment

• G-JAWS! Nice one, Sav

For Gaz Engineer - Back in post #1181 I asked if anyone knew about the riveting on the exhaust shown in the photo and was wondering if you have any ides?

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                            Gary Gazelle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's a swirl plate - it makes the exhaust gasses tumble before going up into the blades to be dispersed (along with the pre or post mod outer shroud they reduce the IR signature).

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Gary, thanks a lot for your kind explanation!

• Army Air Day, held at Middle Wallop on 6th August 1977, began with a massed arrival of ten fixed-wing aircraft (Chipmunks) and sixty-five helicopters.

Front row: Basic Fixed-Wing Flight Chipmunks, Canadian A.F. Kiowas, German Army MBB BO 105Cs and Bell UH-1Ds.
                          2nd row: Gazelles from the Basic Rotary-Wing Flight and No. 2 Flight.
                          3rd row: Bristow Bell 47Gs, Scouts from the Advanced Rotary-Wing Flight.
                          4th row: Alouettes of Nos. 6 and 14 Flights, sundry Sioux and Scouts.
                          5th row: I.F.T.U. Lynx and and R.A.F. No. 230 Squadron Puma landing.

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                            Gary Gazelle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I went to loads of these over the years - including this one (my father was working there)

• Some nice Middle Wallop nostalgia there Zis!

Some more from Wallop:

A mix of Westland Sioux, Alouette II, Lynx and Gaz (date unknown)

Btw, if you haven't already seen the video of the HS125 making a 'wheels up' at Palm Springs, check it out here.

Comment

• The 'Super' Gazelle

SA360 F-WSQX (Photo: Helico-Fascination)

Zis, check-out the original Plexiglass arrangement on this early model Dauphin as well as the nose-panel which retains the same configuration (and air vent) as the Alouette II and Gazelle.

Sadly I don't think any flying examples remain of this truly classic craft.

Comment

• Indeed, there was noticeable impact of some earlier Aerospatiale helicopter designs on the first versions of SA.360.

Speaking of Gazelle-like craft.

McDonnell XV-1 NASA (above) & Seabird SB7L-360 (below):

Comment

• In an earlier message (post #114) a list was provided of active stretched Gazelles. I have tried to compile the complete list, including inactive ones.
                                1052 F-GJSL 341G > 342J
                                1058 F-HGUN 341G > 342J
                                1065 I-OLLY 341G (stretched at later date)
                                1094 N624EL 341G > 342J
                                1264 N123TY 341G
                                1271 G-GAZZ 341G
                                1274 G-OGAZ 341G
                                1295 YU-HVZ 341G
                                1307 G-OLDH 341G
                                1308 F-GHGU 341G
                                1310 N2LN 341G
                                1320 YU-HEY 341G
                                1360 CN-AID 342L
                                1376 CN-AIO 342K?
                                1377 CN-AIP 342K?
                                1390 G-WCRD 341G
                                1392 HA-PJB 341G
                                1407 YU-HWF 341G
                                1410 N901B 341G
                                1411 CN-AIQ 342K?
                                1412 CN-AIR 342K?
                                1417 G-OGEO 341G
                                1422 CN-AIS 342K?
                                1455 G-BKLS 341G
                                1470 N342WF 341G > 342J
                                1473 YU-HPZ 341G > 342J
                                1509 N340SM 341G
                                1584 N150SF 341G
                                1616 YV-228CP 342J

There is some uncertainty about the exact type of the Morocco Gendarmerie ones. Some sources state 1 342L and 5 342K models, others state they are all 342L models. CN-AID has the type painted on the fin as 342L.

All comments/additions are welcomed. Cheers,
                                Jos Stevens
                                www.rotorspot.nl

Comment

• Well done, Jos! Just add 1280 G-ZELL & 1491 YU-HEW

Re: the Moroccan Police 342's you're right, some sources state they're "K" version, but I've never seen any of them marked so.

Comment

• md600driver
                                    md600driver commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Re: the 'K' (Kuwait) version, they could have been upgraded to L or L1 version.

• Rotorspot
                                    Rotorspot commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks for your help, guys. Much appreciated.

• My account has been activated! YAY!

My name is Andy and I work at Falcon Aviation/The Gazelle Sqn at Bourne Park.

I will try to keep you posted about Gazelle goings on down here in Hampshire.

Comment

• md600driver
                                    md600driver commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Hi Andy good to have you here Steve A

Andy b ?
                                    Andy s ?
                                    Andy m ?
                                    Andy m? Cotswold

Place is full of Andys and there more than this
                                    Last edited by md600driver; 8th December 2015, 08:03.

• N48284
                                    N48284 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Hey Steve, Andy M, The Gaz Sqn Photographer. We've not seen you over here for a while?

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Welcome aboard N48284! Looking forward to see more pics of the Bourne Park's Gazelles here

• Dear Andy

A warm welcome to Aviafora!

Sorry for the delay in your account being activated - this is what happens when you allow helicopter pilots to dabble with 'managing' a forum!

We would be glad for regular updates of news and movements from Bourne Park. Funnily enough only yesterday I was emailing Aviaforan Zishelix (who started the 'Shrieking Gazelles' thread) telling him that I was adding Bourne Park Aviation to our list of Gazelle service centres (see here).

As you will see, we're pretty keen on photos, and we have a number aviation photographers among our members, so feel free to post any new (or even not so new) shots you may have. On the matter of photos you may like to read our photo posting instructions here. In a nutshell, in order to post 'decent' photos they need to be externally hosted and then copied into one's post.

Once again welcome aboard.

Rgds

Sav

Comment

• N48284
                                    N48284 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks for the warm welcome. I have plenty of Photos from Bourne Park as I'm the Gaz Sqn Official Photographer and Media Representative. I see a fair number of my photos on here already. Falcon Aviation is the service centre for the Ex MOD Gazelle in the UK, I think Bourne Park Aviation deals with civil versions. (I will check). We have a number of gazelle rebuilds on the go here at Bourne Park all are destined to be part of the Gazelle Sqn. We also are starting to work on our pairs display routine for 2016 which is very exciting. I will post some shots of the rebuilds progress throughout the winter on here.
                                    I also see some photos of the first Nightshoot to be held by the gazelle Sqn on here. I organised this event and we have another on March 5th next year.

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    If it's not secret, would be possible to know what Gazelle rebuilds are on the go?
                                    Congrats for the Nightshoot! Wish I'm closer to attend next one

• Qatar Emiri Air Force SA.342L QA04 in 1986.

Comment

Working...
                                  X