No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our two projects at The Gazelle Sqn for this winter are to repaint G-ZZLE into its old RN 705NAS colours and completely rebuild G-CGJZ from the ground up. I will post some photos of G-CGJZ as soon as i have put them on flickr.

The Gazelle Squadron Display Team

Aircraft:

G-CBSK/ZB627/A Gazelle HT.3 In RAF 2FTS colours
    G-ZZLE/XX436 Gazelle HT.2 In Royal Marines colours (over winter having 10yr service and repaint in 705NAS Sharks colours)
    G-CDNS/XZ321/D Gazelle AH.1 In AAC Gulf War 1 desert colours
    G-CGJZ/XZ933 Gazelle HT.3 being rebuilt at the moment will be painted in 32Sqn colours
    G-CGJX/XW892 Gazelle AH.1 project for next year will be painted in AAC BATUS colours
    G-CBSF/ZB647 Gazelle HT.2 project for next year will be painted in either 705NAS Sharks or FONA colours
    G-FUKM/ZA730 Gazelle AH.1 project for 2017 will be painted in AAC Falklands colours

The Gazelle Military Helicopter Trust

XW849 Gazelle AH.1 will be in AAC Op TELIC colours ongoing rebuild by BLESMA veterans.
    Last edited by N48284; 9th December 2015, 15:12.

Comment

• Thanks Andy, very informative!

Any chance to repaint G-ZZLE/XX436 or G-CBSF/ZB647 into this Sharks colour scheme. (Scroll down a bit to see the black-tailed Gazelle XW891).

Comment

• Adrian Batchelor
        Adrian Batchelor commented
        Editing a comment
        Zishelix, that`s a very good question, i will tell you what I know & what I used in my days of painting but you have to bare in mind that paint technology has moved forward in leaps and bounds & I will admit that I am a little out of touch with aircraft painting as my current employment uses the painting technology of Phosphate & Electro painting or ELPO for short, but thats another story!

If you come across the Gazelle G-MANN in its silver and Two Blue Scheme you may notice that this had a Metallic finish and this was one of the first helicopters / aircraft to incorporate a new type of paint ,this in easy terms was called Clear over Base & this would involve 3 coats of base coat or colour & 3 coats of clear or lacquer once the first lacquer coat had been applied this would Fuse the paint together to produce you final finish and most important protective coating, very hard wearing and this also included an anti UV (Ultra Violet) protection which is the main culprit for fading paint.

We also used a very similar type of paint but this was the main type we did use and this was for solid colours mainly white of three coats 24 hrs drying and then 3 coats of lacquer ,you also have to bare in mind with most paints and again this may have changed is once you had painted & this was more in the case for the second type of paint quoted that there is no polishing involved, just straight paint, let it dry and apply the scheme.

In answer to the question all of the above would incorporate in the paint system proprieties to stop fading, Also one thing that is often overlooked and I learnt a great deal on this subject is keeping your aircraft / helicopter clean!!!!! If you want it looking immaculate then you have to look after it!! Again this is another subject I thoroughly enjoy. Plenty of water and a good quality cleaner and no brushes only cloth !!brushes scratch!!! There are also dozens of good hand applied coatings/waxes etc that are on the market that can be used,do not use heavy grade polishing compounds as this can only make your problems worse, use very fine finishing compound and plenty of good quality wax.

Hope this all helps ....
        Last edited by Adrian Batchelor; 9th December 2015, 20:36.

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Adrian, this is much appreciated! Judging by the information you have given, it looks like you're still well-informed in matters of helicopter painting

• Adrian Batchelor
        Adrian Batchelor commented
        Editing a comment
        Zishelix ,i like to think that my knowledge is like riding a bike once you have done it you never forget it!! but i have to say that the technology behind Helicopter & Fixed Wing painting has moved ahead in very large steps , i am sure that the basics still remain and that you can never loose,i will say i am seeing one of my old partners in crime from my paint shop days , he works for BF Goodrich and works within the repair station on all aspects of undercarriage repairs,NDT,painting etc i will ask him a few questions!!

• Another look at Steve's LFQ

Irish Air Corps SA342L 241 (cn 1854) as seen at RAF Cottesmore on 27th July 2001 (Photo: Karsten Pait)

Became HA-LFQ (as a Crabtree cab) then to South Africa where she now flies as ZU-RZR.

Comment

• Here is ZB666 with Blue Eagles tale markings in 1994.

Sadly written off on 24 Feb 2000 in Kenya, the cab had been reported at Everett Aero Sproughton as late as 2004.

Comment

• Nice one, thanks for sharing!

By the way, you can see some more comments about ZB666 here

Comment

• N48284
            N48284 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I did see the shots of it in pieces. I sat last night and read through the whole thread.

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Through the whole thread? You must feel sleepy now

• Originally posted by N48284

I sat last night and read through the whole thread.
          Ha ha .. good for you!

Seeing as you have accomplished this feat can I ask .. did you come across anything interesting that you hadn't heard about before regarding Gazelles and .. is there a paint scheme (either military or civilian) which you have seen across the pages which stands out to you as being either unique or especially attractive?

Comment

• I must say there is lots of great info in this thread. I've learnt from some of the technical posts especially as being a fixed wing pilot not a rotary pilot. I think the most stand out scheme would be the digital one on G-CHMF on page 51.

Can ask how many Gazelle owner/pilots are on here?

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Andy. Good to know that the thread is of some interest. Ah yes G-CHMF, the digital camo look! If you like that sort of thing then also check-out F-HGUN and F-GBMC both of which you can see examples of on page 25: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...azelles/page25

We have about 5 signed-up members who are Gazelle owners, perhaps another two who are Gaz drivers, and (this is an approximation only) perhaps another five Gazelle owners/flyers who are readers.

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              But still missing here aviation photographers (Gazelle fans preferably!) and those willing to share some old Gazelle photos they might have

• I appreciate your kind feedback, Andy!

Originally posted by N48284 View Post
            I think the most stand out scheme would be the digital one on G-CHMF on page 51.
            A bonus pic, just for you!

Comment

• Here is one from the summer this year of the team (inc Peter Unwin's HT.3) arriving back from the RNAS Culdrose airshow.

The Gazelle Sqn arriving home. by Andrew Morley

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovely stuff Andy!

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice pic! Keep 'em coming

• Kenya Air Force

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Such a rare bird. Very nice! Do you know her serial?

• Rotorspot
                Rotorspot commented
                Editing a comment
                Military serial KAF 402 (lol), manufacturer's serial number 1394.
                Cheers, Jos.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha, grazie Jos! Happy for the Kenyans that they received 342's as opposed to the 341's used by the British Army in Kenya.

• Some 70's British Army Nostalgia

The 'Sparrowhawks' were (IIRC) made up of AAC volunteers who sought to maintain the skills developed within the Blue Eagles after the team was disbanded.

Comment

• G-CBSK 'Ginger' Start and Depart for Post-Maintenance Test Flight

Andy, please can you ask your videographer to film using a 'full' screen capture instead of the 'pillar box' aperture used in the above video!

ps: Also, can you please tell the lads at Bourne Park .. That, as a general principal, aircraft really ought to be named after the 'fairer' sex, and that in the case of 'Ginger' I recommend 'she' be renamed 'Vivian', after the character played by the red-haired Julia Roberts in a certain film. Actually the name may have some relevance given how many people would have flown 'SK' as an RAF trainer .. plus (and as you are doubtless aware) 'Viviane' is the designated name for French Army 'hot' Gazelles!

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ginger (ZB627), Gary (XZ321), Gordon XX436), Gavin (ZB647), Gladys (XW849), Grant (ZA730)… well, I don't think Vivian fits among these names

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fair enough .. 'Genevieve' then!

• N48284
                  N48284 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was me who videoed that, I was only playing about and it was an after thought to create the YouTube channel. We should have some others on soon about our 2015 season as a team. ZB627=Red=Ginger

• Irish Air Corps SA342 Gazelle, Alouette III and Dauphin as seen over Blessington Lakes, County Wicklow, in December 2005

Comment

• Hover-Taxi and Landing/s

This vid uploaded yesterday. Some help please from Avia members to identify this Gaz, and also perhaps her location.

Comment

• N48284
                    N48284 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This was yesterday at Bourne Park and is G-ZZLE. Unfortunately only taken on an iPhone 5 so quality isn't great.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bravo Andy, grazie! Regarding the quality, understood but, at least we get the full screen and which is preferable. Again many thanks.

• G-GZLE

SA341G G-GZLE (cn 1145) as seen at Redhill Aerodrome c.2005

An Aérospatiale-built ex-SFT training cab which once flew as HA-LFD but which apparently now wears a Russian registration.

Comment

• SA342J YU-HES (cn 1057) as seen at Goodwood Aerodrome on 3rd December 2015 (Photo: Clive Barker)

Comment

• Some shots of G-CBSI/XZ934 Gazelle HT.3 taken at Bourne Park this year:

1. Taken using the 15mm Fisheye Lens.
                      G-CBSI Fisheyed by Andrew Morley

2. At our Nightshoot held in October.
                      Gazelle HT.3 G-CBSI/XZ934 at night. by Andrew Morley

3. Taken en-route to the Abingdon Airshow in May.
                      Gazelle XZ934 (G-CBSI) somewhere over Berkshire on 02/05/15. by Andrew Morley

4. Departing Bourne for RNAS Culdrose.
                      Gazelle G-CBSI/XZ934 departing HQ. by Andrew Morley

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        These are lovely shots Andy, well done. Especially like the fish-eye lens shot as well as the air-to-air over Berkshire. Great stuff!

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done Andy! -Over Berkshire- This photo could be a great poster or desktop photo!

• SA341B Westland Gazelle XW851 'T' (cn WA1021) as seen at East Midlands Airport on 28th June 1984 (Photo: Kerry Taylor)

Former 3CBAS cab, now a venerable member of the Crabtree stable, flying as G-CIEY.

Comment

• I think we can say that XW851 has had a happy ending!

Not so long ago she was dismantled and intended to be scrapped for parts. In fact, I think some of her parts may have ended-up in XX411's restoration project.

Seen stored at Shawbury in September 2008 (Photo: Mick Bajcar)

I'd appreciate if somebody can show us how she looks now as G-CIEY.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry guys, this could be 'my bad' in that I'm not entirely sure if 1021 is actually flying, only that she's now part of the Crabtree stable. Apologies if I've got it wrong.

• md600driver
                          md600driver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          851 is still a project for the future as sadly she is still missing many parts but, I hope to have her flying in the years ahead.

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I assume she's in pretty much same condition as in the above photo but, knowing Steve, she will no doubt fly again!

• Scale model of a Yugoslav HN-45M (SA.342L) at the Belgrade Aviation Museum:

Comment

• SA341F BWD (cn 1037) as seen at Etain Rouvres Airport in France on 24th June 1989 (Photo: Fred Willemsen)

SA342M F-MGOB (cn 2183) in France 2013

Comment

• Nice photos Sav!

A neat looking instrument panel from the stretched F-GKRF (SA.342J; #1958)

Photo taken in August 2003 at Geneva Int. Airport by Jerome Mervelet.

Comment

• Although we already posted photo of XX403 in silver c/s, it's good to see it again

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Very nice!

• Gazelles in France

SA342J F-GFDG (cn 1204) as seen at Lyon-Bron Airport on 12th June 1993 (Photo: Fabien Campillo)

Comment

• N250KS on a seasonal sale!

Just 299.900 bucks to collect .. and it could be mine!!

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  A bargain really!

• xbdt
                                  xbdt commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Reserve not met means that you'll not get it for 300k. Probably reserve at 450k. Remember, it is an experimental as it is ex-French mil, so you can only fly it within US territory.

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Oh no! My hope of becoming a Gazelle owner has vanished once again! :/

• SA341B XX444 (cn 1248) as seen at Greenham Common on 28th June 1981 (Photo: Paul Seymour)

I have a couple of photos now showing the ground handling wheels stowed on the rear skid support as per the above.

Comment

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Maybe it's just good place to store handling wheels while they're not in use, I never saw any machine fly with the wheels attached on the rear skids...

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You can fly with the wheels on, but it slows you down. I have some of theses brackets if anyone needs any.

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Out of curiosity, does those -steel soles- on skids need replacing from time to time? I mean that parts are quite exposed to friction, especially when landing on hard surfaces.

• Originally posted by Zishelix

Out of curiosity, do those -steel soles- on skids need replacing from time to time? I mean that parts are quite exposed to friction, especially when landing on hard surfaces.
                                Skid 'shoes' do indeed require replacing from time-to-time, and might be an 'on condition' item. Wear and tear from 'normal' operations (if there is such a thing with helicopter flying) means they don't require swapping-out that often, but it would be interesting to hear from Gaz Engineer or others how often they replace them.

The real 'killer' for skid shoes are training aircraft, as they tend to endure run-on landings on a regular basis. The video I once posted with a Hughes 500 making what looks like a quarter-mile run-on, is unfortunately no longer showing on You Tube, but the one below gives you an idea of what the shoes put up with. Sometimes these run-ons are performed on hard surface runways.

I remember practicing autos at night in a Hughes with an ex-US Army instructor of Hungarian descent, and which was interesting in that one could see the sparks thrown-up by the shoes in one's peripheral vision, although it probably looked far more impressive from the outside!

Be sure to remind the mechanic to paint the skid shoes though, as sometimes they 'forget' and, as with the 'factory white' frames around replacement perspex window fittings, they don't look so great unpainted.

Comment

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks Sav! Some landings definitely require skids' shoes replacement... and maybe other repairs on the machine as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBLK8Wmd6Y

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Err .. yes. This was in fact a crash. To be honest, incredibly lucky (blessed) that they weren't seriously injured. That kind of 'diving' profile into the auto is completely unorthodox for a 'normal' training auto, so I'm assuming that they perhaps encountered a genuine flame-out while in the circuit or something!

• GazEngineer
                                  GazEngineer commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  It's rare we replace skid shoes, as most of the Gazelles land on grass or other soft surfaces, so the wear on them is greatly reduced. Obviously they all land on hard surfaces, but the majority of the time it's to be able to ground handle them for maintenance or storage.

Civilian Gazelles that wear front and rear shoes that land on hard surfaces suffer with eventual damage resulting in the non protected part of the skid tubes being damaged and needed replacement, which is where the military Gazelles full-length shoe helps to increase the life of the skid tube.

With the exception of one Gazelle I know of, the only time you will see full length skid shoes is on military and ex-military Gazelles, due to the stupid rule that despite being the same helicopter using the exact same parts, you can't use military parts on a civilian machine, despite the fact that there is no difference between 98% of the components - hence why people are coming off G reg and going onto Yugo reg and making use of brand new military parts.

• Nice shot of N341AH (WA.341B, s/n 1208) from August 2008.

More photos of the same registration still in Army livery here.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  A sister ship (of sorts) to the X-Craft in that they are separated by just one character in their registrations.

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Actually, 12 Gazelles have/had N341.. registration sequence

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                                Thanks Sav! Some landings definitely require skids' shoes replacement... and maybe other repairs on the machine as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBLK8Wmd6Y
                                That was the way that the MD Academy used to train you to do autos/stuck pedals etc.

Wen I did my MD600 training at Mesa we would do a run-on landing then whilst still running on, turn the helicopter so you went sideways, then turn again to the other side whilst still running on! Before doing this training I wouldn't have thought it was possible to steer the aircraft in this way.

MD used tungsten-tipped skid shoes that took some wearing-out, but allowed you to travel further. The 600 was very wide at the skids, and was therefore extremely stable.

Getting back to the Gazelle; the British military use a special stainless one-piece skid, rather than the small skid shoe at the front and rear of the skid as found on most civilian types.

Comment

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post
                                  ... the british military use a special stainless one piece skid rather than the small skid shoe at front and rear of the skid
                                  Thanks, I didn't know that. Seems stainless skids aren't much heavier than aluminum ones.

Comment

Working...
                                  X