No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This photo was taken at Breighton back in September 2013 (by Malcolm Clarke) but it reminds me to ask:
    Any plans for Gazelle Fly-In 2016?

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

Bravo Steve & Co.

• Steve has kindly sent these images of stainless skid shoes he mentioned in previous post. Hvala Steve!

I (wrongly) concluded the skid tubes was made of steel… that would be too much weight on a light Gazelle.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      What a unique photo! Well done Steve.

Very little steel used in helicopter manufacturing. Perhaps certain components on the main undercarriage on the bigger types.

• Adrian Batchelor
      Adrian Batchelor commented
      Editing a comment
      Savoia ,just a thought i was under the impression that when stainless came in contact with Al-clad this can cause a reaction and go on to cause corrosion?,There was and still is a craze for changing normal steel screws for stainless steel ones on fixed wing as well as helicopters,You can bye the full screw kits as i have used before , fitting stainless screws can be a real pain ,even though they are rust proof the metal is soft and very difficult to drill out if snapped and at all times the Al-clad inspection panels have to be paint protected at all times when the panels are replaced ,i hope i got that right!

• Gary Gazelle
      Gary Gazelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Although most of the training was being done on grass (Middle Wallop), we were going through skids in Northern Ireland where many landings were on hardstandings, so it was a service engineered modification (you can see the welds where the original short shoes are joined together with a centre section) that EC/AH took on and are now available off the shelf.

• Hi!

Has anyone got any photos of the ex-German Police Gazelles (only), showing the camera attachment they had?

I saw a photo once of an ex-German Police Gazelle (SE-HUN) with the camera kit fitted.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      I am hoping Zishelix has some shots.

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly, I'm not able to help in this matter. Let's hope some other Aviaforan will have the photo Steve looking for.

• F-WTNV

F-WTNV with camera pod (Photo: Zishelix Collection)

F-WTNV with winch (Photo: Zishelix Collection)

German Police Gazelles

See a selection of German Police Gazelles on Page 43.

And not forgetting 'that video' of four German Police Gazelles flying beneath a bridge!

Skid Shoes

Originally posted by GazEngineer

It's rare we replace skid shoes, as most of the Gazelles land on grass or other soft surfaces, so the wear on them is greatly reduced. Obviously they all land on hard surfaces, but the majority of the time it's to be able to ground handle them for maintenance or storage.

Civilian Gazelles that wear front and rear shoes that land on hard surfaces suffer with eventual damage resulting in the non protected part of the skid tubes being damaged and needed replacement, which is where the military Gazelles full-length shoe helps to increase the life of the skid tube.

With the exception of one Gazelle I know of, the only time you will see full length skid shoes is on military and ex-military Gazelles, due to the stupid rule that despite being the same helicopter using the exact same parts, you can't use military parts on a civilian machine, despite the fact that there is no difference between 98% of the components - hence why people are coming off G reg and going onto Yugo reg and making use of brand new military parts.
    Grazie Gazen!

Kenyan Air Force

Another take on the Gaz recently shown by Zis:

Kenyan Air Force SA342K KAF 402 (cn 1394)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Good one, thanks Sav!

• SA342J D-HOPP (cn 1695) belonging to Polizeifliegerstaffel Niedersachsen, as seen at Gütersloh in March 1982 (Photo: Jeff Bell)

SA341C G-ZZLE/XX436 (cn 1402) as seen at RAF Abingdon in May 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      D-HOPP now flies as one of only two Gazelles on the Italian register. Will post a photo of her from earlier in the year shortly.
      I'm not so sure ex-D-HOPP is in Italy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
        I'm not so sure ex-D-HOPP is in Italy.
        Ah yes, grazie Zis, I recall this matter cropped-up before on page 35.

I think I-PTEC must have had some components from 1695 as she keeps coming up on various databases as having a link with this serial no. Hopefully this will get sorted out.

Also on page 35 is a photo of the Nordrhein-Westfalen SA342 D-HAIR, not with a camera mount, but with a speaker mounting which seems to stretch between the skids.

CN: 1473

SA342J(S) F-GGTJ (cn 1473) as seen at Duxford Aerodrome in September 2001 (Photo: Brian Bickers)

Originally registered in Canada as C-GVWC, then became F-WXFX, F-GGTJ, G-TOPZ and now flies as YU-HPZ.

Comment

• GazEngineer
          GazEngineer commented
          Editing a comment
          YU-HPZ is ex G-MANN

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you'll find that ex-G-MANN (cn 1295) is in fact YU-HVZ (belonging to a member of Benegaz) and now living in the Netherlands, whereas ex-G-TOPZ (cn 1473) remains in the UK flying as YU-HPZ. But, with only one letter to distinguish them and given that they are both stretched Gazelles, its an easy distinction to miss!

To see a shot of YU-HPZ click here > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=3278#post3278

• GazEngineer
          GazEngineer commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct despite the fact I work on both of them it's easy to get confused at times

• Westland Gazelle SA341C's from the Royal Navy's Sharks display team. From top to bottom: XZ942, XW857, XW871 and XW860 as seen at RNAS Yeovilton in 1986 (Photo: John Morris)

Comment

• Comment

• A Montenegrin Gazelle performing a low-level tactical flight demonstration, 2006.

Comment

• The time has come to 'wheel out' the 'snow Gazelles' in celebration of this special season. For now (and because my collection of snow Gazelles is somewhat limited) these will be repeats but .. in my next post I shall display some 'new' finds.

SA341G F-WTNV (cn 1006) as seen in the French Alps, c. 1970's

Air Zermatt's SA324J Gazelle HB-XMU c. 1986 (Photo: Anton Heumann)

SA342L E7-ABI (cn 139) as see at Sokolac (70 kms east of Sarajevo) in Bosnia on 1st February 2012

E7-SHA at Ikar Air Service, Banja Luka, February 8th, 2012 (Photo: Phil Adkin courtesy of Zishelix)

SA341G HB-ZEU (cn 1111) as seen at Samedan in Switzerland on 22nd March 2009 (Photo: Hanes Domjan)

HA-LFA as seen in Hungary in January 2011

SA342J (cn 1393) F-GCCZ as seen in the French Alps c. 1970s (Photo: Jean-Marie Potelle courtesy of Zishelix)

Westland SA341G(S) Gazelle (cn WA1065) F-GBMC

SA342J F-GFDG (cn 1204) as seen at Courchevel on 13th January 1989 (Photo: Zishelix Collection)

Comment

• Wishing our members and readers
                a very Merry Christmas
                and a Happy New Year

Sav n' Phil

Comment

• Tarman
                  Tarman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Everyone !

Keep up the good work in 2016.

Tarman

• Let me join Sav by wishing all Aviaforans a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Comment

• In addition to Sav's Gazelles in snow theme, let me post this pic with F-WTNV & F-ZWRL during one of their promotional flights back in early 1970's (Photo: Jean-Marie Potelle Collection)

Comment

• More Gaz in snow ..

4 Regiment Army Air Corp Westland Gazelle XX398 (cn 1318) conducting winter training in the mountain region above Bardufoss in Norway on 3rd March 2006

Notice the difference in the snow skis being used in the AAC Gazelle (above) also used by HB-ZEU (bottom photo) and F-WTNV (below):

F-WTNV (cn 1006) seen wearing her snow skis above her skids

SA341G HB-ZEU (cn 1111) as seen at Samedan in Switzerland on 9th January 2005 (Photo: Marco Pianca)

Comment

• md600driver
                      md600driver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The one with the snow skis above the skids looks like a home made version!

I have 2 sets in stock of the British military skis.

I will forward a picture to Zis later, if he can post please and edit.

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie Steve!

Speaking of home made .. check out how wide the Scout snow skis were: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=2558#post2558

• New Gazelle in Russia

Just noticed this one in Air-Britain News: RA-2184G SA341G, c/n 1034, ex I-LDAV, F-BUFB, F-WMHC.

Cheers, Jos.

Comment

• Posting Steve's kindly provided images of the snow skis for the Gazelle:

Thanks Steve!

ps: If anyone wants to buy a set of Gazelle skis, please contact Avia member md600driver.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Si, grazie Steve. Always interesting to see different Gazelle 'bits'!

• We saw E7-SHA in the recent collection of snow Gazelles, and here is another shot of her from 2010:

Helicopter Service of the Republika Srpska SA341G Soko Gazelle E7-SHA (cn 046) departing the Ikar compound in Banja Luka, Bosnia & Herzegovina, on 6th September 2010 (Photo: Joop de Groot)

This is an ex-Yugoslav Air Force HO-42 which used to carry the military registration 12663.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice one Zis! Seeing as you mentioned Ikar, I noticed the other day while adding details to our list of Gazelle service centres that their website no longer seems to be functioning.

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...ervice-centres

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wouldn't know why is that, will check...

• Fenestron Stall

One of Aviafora's readers is a friend of mine who used to work as a Technical Support Officer with Aérospatiale. He was very helpful to me when I began researching about Gazelles and provided me with much useful information. He has recently written to me saying how much he enjoys reading Shrieking Gazelles.

Specifically, in confirmation of the recent comments made by GazEngineer my friend says:

The RAF experienced two fatal accidents attributed to a loss of fenestron effectiveness. A third case (fortunately without damage) resulted in the RAF pilot involved in the incident being invited to Marignane to participate (with his aircraft) in test flights specifically relating to the effectiveness of the Gazelle's fenestron.

This RAF pilot flew with one of our test pilots who demonstrated the effectiveness of the fenestron in all flight configurations. This included recovering yaw control from a condition of high speed yaw rotations. One of the test pilot's comments was that the RAF pilot's application of pedal input to arrest the divergent yaw was too gentle, whereas the test pilot recommended that pedal inputs be 'lively' even up to the maximum extent of available pedal if required.

These experiments resulted in an addendum to the UK military Gazelle flight manuals after which it was said there were no further yaw control problems.

Aérospatiale's Gazelle test pilot department stated that throughout the Gazelle's flight envelope, the fenestron would not stall!

Comment

• Gazelle Fenestron in a Hughes!

Did you know that the fan fitted to the Hughes/U.S. Army/DARPA OH-6A NOTAR prototype was the Fenestron blade disc from a Gazelle?

Apparently so.

Hughes obtained a blade disc and hub assembly for the initial test work. They shortened the blades a little and fitted it to the prototype. The initial prototype was under-powered and loaded with test equipment but flew well enough to prove the concept.

In 1985 Hughes/McDonnell Douglas designed a more efficient blade that was better suited to operating inside the NOTAR tailboom and eventually the NOTAR went into production.

The NOTAR still has a muted Fenestron-whine today.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Indeed! Thanks for reminding me

McDonnell Douglas NOTAR helicopter axial fan.

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great stuff 500 Fan. Wasn't aware of that.

• Speaking of the many uses of the Gazelle's fenestron ...

What's the time? Quarter to Gazelle!

Thanks to Steve for sharing this with us!

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think you'll find its twelve to the main rotor!

Great stuff Steve!

• md600driver
                        md600driver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This now graces the wall of my office at Crabtree.

At our last home we had this on the wall in the kitchen, but unfortunately her that has to be obeyed decided it would have to be relocated!

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha ha! You were lucky to have had it in the kitchen at all Signore Crabtree!

• Another Russia-Bound Gazelle

I took this photo at the Bournemouth Hurn Air Show on 5th June 1988.

G-SFTD an SA341G c/n 1145 in its early days owned by Blades at Goodwood, and for the enthusiast (this includes me) with numerous past identities including F-WKQH, N341BB, N641HM, G-RIFC, G-WELA, G-PYOB, G-GZLE, HA-LFD and RA-1828G. Currently flying as RA-05705.

Last edited by Adrian Batchelor; 28th December 2015, 22:28.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I didn't know she had become RA-05705. Thanks for the info!

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lovely shot Adrian, well done!

• Online Gazelle Library

Greetings!

I've started a new thread on Avia's Gazelle forum which could become something of an online library.

If anyone has any relevant Gazelle info they could contribute, then please add it on this thread:

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...elle-resources

Cheers

Steve

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great idea Steve, bravo!

• Taking a break from the "Winter Gazelles" here is an air to air photo of the Gazelle Squadron's G-ZZLE & G-CBSK (XX436 & ZB627) over Oxfordshire during the Abingdon Air & Country Air Show on May 3rd, 2014. (Photo: Eric Coeckelberghs)

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice shot Zis!

• Ukrainian Gazelles

Noted from a listing by Air Britain News:-

It seem the Ukrainian authorities have been having a clear out of aircraft and helicopters, mostly due to loss of airworthiness.

The following have been cancelled as of 27.10.15

UR-RIV SA.341C HT.2 (WA1148)
                      UR-ABBA SA.341C HT.2 (WA1098)
                      UR-ALMA SA.341C HT.2 (WA1078)
                      UR-CSAG SA.341D HT.3 (WA1272)

Helipixman

Comment

• Gazelles in Italy

SA341G F-GFCI (cn 1206) 'aka Francesco' as seen at l'aeroporto di Voghera-Rivanazzano on 24th August 2013 (Photo: Giorgio Varisco)

The above photo was taken during the Italian Open Helicopter Games.

L'armée de Terre SA342M Gazelle Viviane 3947/GAS (cn 1947) as seen at Casarsa della Delizia, November 2012 (Photo: Marco Papa)

Comment

• Unidentified Gaz on an unknown date at Oaksey Park Airfield (Photo: Sean McRandle)

Comment

• So let's identify it!

The Gazelle Squadron's G-ZZLE, ex-Royal Marines XX436, photographed on September 29th, 2015.

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Lol, well done Zis!

• N48284
                            N48284 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It was at the 70th Anniversary fly in for the Pitts Special at Oaksey Park. Not an official Gazelle Sqn outing, just a fun day out.

• LEB GAZ

A Lebanese Air Force SA342 flies past a rooftop in Tripoli, Lebanon, having just fired on targets at the nearby refugee camp of Nahr al-Bared, during clashes with Fatah al-Islam militant groups on 2nd June 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post

So let's identify it! The Gazelle Squadron's G-ZZLE, ex-Royal Marines XX436, photographed on September 29th, 2015.
                            You soon won't be able to identify her - once she comes out of the paint shop!

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Really?! She's in the paint shop? Oh, looking forward to see G-ZZLE in new livery!
                          Working...
                          X