Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    Steve, I didn't realise you were now selling Dakotas as well! Crabtree Dakotas here we come!
    The rotors are not big enough for me !!! but I do have a pristine Hiller 12c converted from one of the original 100 12A that was delivered to the USA mil , and a nice ex german mil/ portugeese mil Alouette 11 313 both the Hiller and 313 are current flying examples on the N Reg based at Crabtree

Enjoy Tweety Bird Adrian, have fun and fly safe; look forward to seeing the Haelo decals when they're done this weekend.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Great stuff Steve! Whenever you're ready .. we shall be glad to see any shots of the Alo II and the Hiller. Most of my friends in the UK who were members of 'that' service (you know the one with the boats) did their training in the Hiller.

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems there's a nice herd of classic rotors at Crabtree Good job, Steve!

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Adrian, hopefully you'll share few pics of your Gazelle with Haelo decals with us

Thanks in advance!

• SA341G G-EZEL (cn WA1073) as seen at Bourne Park on 5th March 2016 (Photo: Garry Morris)

Ex-I-ATOM & G-BAZL. Have to say that I preferred G-EZEL when she wore her grey coat but, there we are. In fact I think Elipix has photographed her in her grey scheme.

SA341G(S) G-EHUP (cn 1407) as seen at Duxford on 25th May 2004 (Photo: Robert Hodgson)

Now YU-HWF.

Comment

• Aviafora on Facebook

Dear Friends

After much humming and harring, and having discussed this with Zishelix, Aviafora has today signed-up with Facebook and now has a page you can visit.

If you are a reader of Aviafora and also a member of Facebook, please do 'like' our page and keep tabs with the news and information we shall be posting on Facebook.

The page will serve to display a variety of topics as well as keeping our 'Gazellers' informed of highlights from 'Shrieking Gazelles'.

Additionally, some will recall that over the past year our site suffered some downtime while we implemented various forum software upgrades. Through our Facebook page we shall keep our readers notified should we again experience something like this. So please keep our Facebook link handy.

Please do support us and look out for a variety of news and information on our Facebook page as from next week.

Best wishes and 'bon weekend'.

Sav

Aviafora on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aviaforacom-1042273495834093/

Comment

• Well done, Sav!

I'm a bit old fashioned as far as of "modern communications" are concerned, but I'll try and open a FB account to join the Aviafora page!

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Zis. Let's see if this initiative will add any 'value' to the forum.

• AAC Maintains Commitment to Schools

Students from Samuel Ryder Academy (SRA) were invited to take flight in an Army Air Corps Gazelle flown by Captain Dave Macklin who landed on the school playing field.

Pupils at teachers at Samuel Ryder Academy in St. Alban's recently enjoyed a visit from the AAC

The visit was arranged with the help of one of the SRA primary school parents who was in the army at Sandhurst and was part of a careers programme for secondary students in Year 11 onwards. The event tied-in with work which the primary students had been doing involving helicopters the week before, as part of National Science Week.

Pupils don Army flight helmets before they are taken Gazelling

Year 11 student, Robert Nae, who listened to a careers talk given by Capt Macklin and also went up in the helicopter said: “The talk gave a clear insight into the various roles and career paths available within the Army Air Corps and Captain Macklin provided personal experiences to bring his career to life.

Up up and away! Pupils go Gazelling with the Army Air Corps

“The helicopter flight was amazing! I think it was incredible the way the helicopter travelled so far in such a short space of time. The ride was smooth. A truly unforgettable experience.”
        http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/educat...trip_1_4479626

Comment

• Fene Strong
          Fene Strong commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting DASOR came out after this visit, whilst on the ground one of the rear seat passengers decided to open the rear door using the jettison handle (contrary to briefing), door was refitted and serviceable.

• Gazelle Viviane HOT Missile System Demonstration (Simulation)

Comment

• YU-HWF

SA341G(S) (cn 1407) YU-HWF as seen at Groningen Airport in Eelde, Netherlands on 1st September 2015 (Photo: Hendrik Cazemier)

We saw 1407 a few posts up as G-EHUP, now pictured in the Netherlands as YU-HWF.

Comment

Comment

• SA341 F-ZWRL (Prototype 02) as seen at Madrid;s Torrejón Airport in 1972 (Photo: Juan Gonzalez)

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                I somehow doubt that Concorde and Gazelle prototypes were in Spain in the same time, so I'd say the photo was taken at Le Bourget

Same as this one http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=3240#post3240

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Perhaps, but I believe the photographer's notes may be correct because '72 was not a Paris Airshow year and, G-BSST (the Concorde in the photo) is recorded (in several places) as having completed her 'hot airfield' trials at Torrejón, specifically in 1972 and 1973.

You can read a little about it in the final paragraphs of the section entitled 'Progress Report' at the following link > http://www.concordesst.com/history/eh5.html

Also on 9th July 1973 at this link > http://www.concordesst.com/history/70s.html

And finally, check out the same apron concrete formation when another Concorde visited Torrejón in 1975 > http://torrejonairbase.com/coppermin...album=6&pos=53

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, seems then Marseille-Torrejón was one of the routes for test/trial flights for Aerospatiale machines.

Pity no more pics are available. I assume that's because Torrejón was a military base.

• Syrian SA342

The following link was posted on the Yahoo Copters Group. In this video you have a “good” look at Syrian SA342 c/n 2133. Its serial seems to read either 1261 or 1361 (my Arab is not so good). C/n and serial are visible near the end of the clip.

Jos

Comment

• I'd say the digit is 3

Nice find, thanks Jos!

Comment

• An Eqyptian Air Force SA342L SN. 1571 has made an emergency landing in the province of Al-Sharqiyah, Egypt.

No further details have been provided as yet but it is understood that the crew were unharmed.

http://www.alarabyanews.com/192408

With our thanks to the Eqyptian Air Force for so helpfully painting the serial number in large numbers on the tail!

Comment

• Close-Up of SA341 Main Transmission

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
                      Syrian SA342
                      In this video you have a “good” look at Syrian SA342 c/n 2133.
                      If I'm not mistaken, this craft seems to have a bit of a 'bounce' to her 'ride'. Not sure but, it does prompt my question which is .. how is the Gazelle's main rotor tracked and balanced? Is it adapted for use with a Chadwick Helmuth rotor balancer using tip targets and a strobe?

And, while we're on the subject, how about the fenestron - how is that balanced please?

Gaz Resources

Interesting background and history on the Gaz: Resource link.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If the Royal Navy are so desperate for a 'blinking' drone, then rather than wasting a Gaz fuselage they could get something like this: > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ylHlERSbhj...A%2BMARINE.jpg

• xbdt
                        xbdt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That one is based on a Cabri

• Fene Strong
                        Fene Strong commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Tail rotor hub is balanced using a Chadwick or something similar, obviously the tail rotor is only balanced on the ground and measured using a clock angle rather than a visual split in track (this still uses the strobe), the reflective tape is fitted to the hub cover, Balance weight are then added until the IPS is within limits. Any in flight imbalance will be picked up on a vibration airtest.

The main rotor head is tracked and balanced using again the Chadwick Helmuth or similar with tip targets and strobe.

• XBDT wrote: That one is based on a Cabri.
                      Ah yes so it is. Perhaps the Cabri has found her 'vocation' in life!

Btw, has anyone come across any articles comparing the R22 with the Cabri including performance, handling and operating costs?

Fene Strong wrote: The Tail rotor hub is balanced using a Chadwick or something similar, obviously the tail rotor is only balanced on the ground and measured using a clock angle rather than a visual split in track (this still uses the strobe), the reflective tape is fitted to the hub cover, Balance weight are then added until the IPS is within limits. Any in flight imbalance will be picked up on a vibration air test.

The main rotor head is tracked and balanced using again the Chadwick Helmuth or similar with tip targets and strobe.
                      Grazie FS much appreciated!

I never had much to do with the Gaz in years past and it is largely thanks to Avia member Zishelix that my interest in this type has been encouraged. The craft wasn't especially popular commercially and my exposure to it was limited to a handful of encounters I shared with my late godfather who would sometimes fly Westland's demonstrator G-BCHM as well as G-BAGK which was owned by Christian Salvesen.

However, there were certain times each year when I definitely did think of the Gaz, and that was when I was involved in tracking and balancing. I remember on one occasion having to record around ten starts in a single day (this was with a 'D' model, that is to say a Hughes 500D). I don't know whether the mechanic was suffering the aftereffects of a previously joyous evening, or whether the craft simply chose to misbehave, but it was a painful and drawn-out affair that lasted the better part of two days. I was thinking what bliss it must be to have the Astazou where you could keep the engine running between adjustments!

Spanish Gaz

EC-EQU (cn 1057)

Records state this was originally a 341 and then became a 342, Zis can you confirm this.

Another question for Fene Strong (if you don't mind). How much work is required to convert a 341 to a 342 please?

Comment

• Savoia wrote: Records state this was originally a 341 and then became a 342, Zis can you confirm this.
                        Correct, upgraded in June 1989 prior to become EC-EQU.

Here is another shot of her.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie Zis. Another 'treasure' from the Zishelix Collection!

• To convert a 341 to a 342 consists of a very minor cabin structural modification (schematics not disclosed by Airbus), engine 14H instead of IIIA, upgraded fenestron. All the rest is exactly the same. Of course all other minor details like wiring, instrument panel, collective, start card, servos etc are also changed.

All other drive train components are the same. all 341 components. Result is 600HP available into the gear box with potential of 870 HP from turbine (torque limited). Main rotor and tail rotor spins a little faster (387 rpm instead of 378 rpm) this is only because the Astazou 14H spins faster than the Astazou III variants.

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just a reminder about the differences between the 'upgraded' and 'ordinary' fenestron:
                          http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=1082#post1082

• xbdt
                          xbdt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The British Army are using a variant of the Astazou III, the 3N2 which produces 650 HP. And don't forget 600HP in a Gazelle is not 'under powered'

With 600HP you have a reserve of about 50% power at full gross weight. Beat this with any other helicopter model today!

• Astazou
                          Astazou commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Does the 342 fly better at sea level than a 341?
                          I imagine that it drinks a good bit more fuel compared to a standard gazelle.

• Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                        To convert a 341 to a 342 consists of a very minor cabin structural modification (schematics not disclosed by Airbus), engine 14H instead of IIIA, upgraded fenestron. All the rest is exactly the same. Of course all other minor details like wiring, instrument panel, collective, start card, servos etc are also changed.

All other drive train components are the same. all 341 components. Result is 600HP available into the gear box with potential of 870 HP from turbine (torque limited). Main rotor and tail rotor spins a little faster (387 rpm instead of 378 rpm) this is only because the Astazou 14H spins faster than the Astazou III variants.

Actually there are a few more differences - the head can only be one of the later ones -13 and above. There is also a different free wheel and some differences on the tail rotor, but surprisingly the main gear box seems to be acceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by xbdt View Post
                          The Gazelle POH says: ALWAYS TURN RIGHT.

Of course the helicopter can also turn left, but some aggressive pilots might turn the helicopter too aggressively to the left and run out of right pedal to stop the movement. In this case, maintain full right pedal until the revolutions stop. It can take 2-3 revolutions to stop the helicopter from turning.

More likely to have this phenomenon with the 'non-upgraded fenestron'. All MIL Gazelles have the upgraded fenestron. Most civil 341 Gazelles have the early type. 342s have the upgraded fenestron also.
                          ALWAYS TURN RIGHT TO AVOID A FRIGHT!

Comment

• SA.341G G-EHUP "stretching on the grass carpet" at Duxford in May 25th, 2005. (Photo: Robert Hodgson)

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Very nice. Almost as nice as the one near the top of the page!

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Oops, you're right, I should check...

Oh well, it's a nice machine and deserved to see it twice

• XBDT wrote: With 600HP you have a reserve of about 50% power at full gross weight.
                            Wow! Okay. The 342 must then be an absolute 'dream to drive' in respect of power reserves.

SA341G(S) YU-HVZ (cn 1295) as seen Kotrijk Wevelgem Airport in Belgium on 13th March 2016 (Photo: Tommy Desmet)

Far too long since we last saw a shot of 'Black Pete'!

Comment

• Qatar Emiri Air Force SA.342L QA09 (s/n 2050) of the 6th Close Support Squadron at Doha International Airport (date and photographer unknown)

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nice one. Do you happen to know if they use the Gaz for training also?

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Probably, as they will need new 'drivers' for their Gazelle fleet from time to time.

• SA341C G-IBNH (cn WA1033) as seen at Henstridge Aerodrome on 3rd April 2016 (Photo: Howard Curtis)

Comment

• N341AS – Serving as a lawn mower & tree cutter at the same time!

Photo courtesy of XB!

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  LOL! Excellent Zis!

Two members of Benegaz in as many days .. we are blessed!

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Indeed, hopefully some photos of 'Tweety Bird' with her new decals will appear here as well!

• Jos, I've been able to obtain a rather poor quality image of the registration number of the Egyptian Air Force Gazelle which encountered a forced landing earlier this week:

The previous photos (see post further up on this page) revealed the aircraft's serial number as 1571.

It looks here as if her registration may be 7-43.

Comment

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Probably. Pity there are no Arab aviation enthusiasts here to confirm my assumption.

• Rotorspot
                                  Rotorspot commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  What I have learned recently is that the Arab serials should be read left to right (I know, it sounds crazy, given that they write right to left). Having said that, the serial thus is 3407, which fits in the sequence of known serials like 3405 (c/n 1496) and 3406.

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Jos, thanks for kind explanation!

• SA342M 4185/GKD (cn 2185) as seen at Lyon Bron Airport on 22nd June 2011 (Photo: ALF Aviation)

Comment

• Yesterday at Prestwick:

Where are Tarman and Wiggy when you need them? Greetings also to Elipix in Wee Bonnie Scotland!

SA341G(S) G-OGAZ (cn 1274) as seen at Prestwick on 8th April 2016 (Photo: G. McLaughlin)

Comment

• GRIFFAIR LTD

A while ago SAV asked if anyone has information about Griffair? So here is the information from Wee Bonnie Scotland!

The company director was Roger Griffiths, hence Griffair.

Based at Bolton-by-Bowland, they have had three UK registered Gazelle helicopters and have also had a Hughes 269 and Hughes 369

G-LIBS Hughes 369HS registered to them 17.12.90 to 29.11.91
                                    G-RIFA Westland SA.341G Srs.1 registered to them 13.6.90 to 21.11.91
                                    G-RIFB Hughes 269C registered to them 17.5.90 to 5.12.91
                                    G-RIFC SA.341G Srs.1 registered to them 14.7.91 to 19.8.92
                                    G-RIFF SA.341G Srs.1 registered to them 2.2.88 to 25.7.90

G-RIFF suffered an engine failure at Threlkeld on 6.8.88 and received minor damge. It suffered a worse fate on 7.3.90 at Hall Lane Farm, Runcorn, rotating several times on landing after loss of tail rotor input.

Another Gazelle YU-HDL is registered to Griffair Adriatic d.o.o

(all photos from the Helipixman collection)

Comment

• Zishelix
                                      Zishelix commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Well done Helipix! Once again you exceeded yourself by posting such interesting info & photos

• Well, well, well Elipix .. what can one say but .. Fantastico! Bravo! Bravissimo!

Great research and fantastic photos!

Until the previous page we hadn't seen any of the Griffair Gazelles, I didn't know there there 'were' any Griffair Gazelles - only G-RIFF, but now not only G-RIFF, but G-RIFA and G-RIFC plus, from what you are saying they have (or had) a fourth Gaz, YU-HDL, once again, greaft stuff!

It seems then as though Griffair may have been the second most prolific operator of Gazelles in the UK after SFT?

I wonder if Roger is still around, for I suspect he must have some interesting stories (and photos) to share.

Grazie mille Elipix!

Zis - do you have any info on YU-HDL. Jos is on vacation at the moment.

Also, while on the matter of 'HDL's' does anyone know what may have happened to the Greek Gazelle SX-HDL, apparently cn. 1566?

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                                      Zis - do you have any info on YU-HDL. Jos is on vacation at the moment.
                                      As far as I'm aware, registration 4O-HJS was reserved in 2014 but not taken up. The helicopter allegedly sold in UK.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                        Helipixman commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        YU-HDL did briefly wear the marks 4O-HJS (pictures have been on Aviafora before). It was for sale through SKYDOCK a company owned by Richard Briggs. He has had many helicopters, mainly Hughes 500s.

The trail has gone cold on this machine, the website www.skydock.co.uk shows it as sold... anyone know who to ?
                                    Working...
                                    X