Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Cross-Tube AD

This AD was issued on 5th July.

Not sure how it differs from the one issued earlier?

Comment

• Fene Strong
      Fene Strong commented
      Editing a comment
      Includes further newer part numbered cross tubes, i think eventually all cross tubes will have to be inspected.

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie FS, much appreciated.

• Gazelle For Sale

Heliatica is currently disposing of 'satan's Gazelle'. We are seeking details of this craft's construction number and registration so, anyone with any clues, please advise.

Sadly, the 'auto-link' feature on the 'Gazelles For Sale' thread is inoperative. This means that in order to see the latest post on 'Gazelles For Sale' you need to visit the first page, then click the last page of the thread (currently page 2) and then scroll down to the most recent post. My apologies for this inconvenience.

Link to Gazelles For Sale.

Comment

• SA341G(S) N901B (cn 1410) probably at Breighton

A new perspective of Steve's 901.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
        SA341G(S) N901B (cn 1410) probably at Breighton
        No not BREIGHTON, but as the photo can only have been taken in the last 12 days, I worked out it was at RAF Duxford!

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, grazie mille Stefano! The photographer (unknown) made a nice job of this shot.

• Great news everyone! Another Gazelle is nearly complete and will be flying soon.Watch this space !!!

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          You've given us a nice 'teaser' GazEn, great stuff, now please give us a little clue as to what we can expect to see, eg. UK reg or Yugo, dark colour or light colour .. something, anything!

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          There are more of us impatienty waiting to find see the 'new' Gazelle. So c'mon GazEn, don't let us wait for too long

Congrats, btw!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
        There are more of us impatienty waiting to find see the 'new' Gazelle. So c'mon GazEn, don't let us wait for too long

Congrats, btw!
        G-HSDL ????!!

Comment

• GazEngineer
          GazEngineer commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct G-HSDL. We are just waiting for her engine to return then ground runs and test flights will commence

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to know s/n 1227 escaped from being a 'donor' for spare parts. Looking forward to seeing her pics here

• GazEngineer
          GazEngineer commented
          Editing a comment
          There will be a bit of confusion at first as she has been painted the same red with gold starburst as YU-HMC

• SA341D G-CBSI ex-XZ934 (cn WA1736) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 2nd July 2016 (Photo: Phil Jones)

SA341D G-CBSI ex-XZ934 (cn WA1736) as seen at RAF Yeovilton on 2nd July 2016

SA341C G-ZZLE ex-XX436 (cn WA1402) as seen at RAF Cosford on 19th June 2016

SA341D G-CBJZ (cn WA1734) as seen at Hamburg Airport on 25th June 2016 (Photo: Thorsten Mothes)

SA341B XX453 (cn WA1454) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 1st July 2016 (Photo: Gary Morris)

Comment

• hébergement gratuit d'images

Concorde, Gazelle and BO105 (I think) in 1976

Comment

• YU-HEV Start and Depart

The videographer was low on coffee, hence the shaky camera work!

Comment

• North American Gazelle Restored to US Register

N342GZ (SA342M, c/n 2055, ex ALAT 4055) was cancelled late April 2016 for unknown reasons. She has been restored as N342GZ on 08-Jul-2016, owner Universal Pacific Investment Corp.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting. Thanks for info, Jos!

• Huh, it's very hot here... any of you wanna watermelon slice?

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha ha, 'Gaz fruit'!

• Interview with Black Pete's Owner, Peter van Zutphen

Some highlights from the interview:

The helicopter stands out, not only because of its shiny black color, but also because of its Serbian registration. Inside, the Gazelle is tastefully decorated with five black seats which are accented with red piping. Up in the Sky spoke to Peter about his passion for helicopters at 'The Terrace' restaurant at Teuge Airport. After the interview we were invited to experienced the Gazelle firsthand.

Why Did You Buy a Gazelle?

The strength, durability and safety of the Gazelle speaks to me. The helicopter was originally built for the military market and this is noticeable. For example, the rotor blades are made ​​of composites, which are lifetime components and never need replacing. The turbine engine is very reliable and provides good power margins. On a full tank, I can fly about three hours. Add to that the wonderful 'looks' at and you understand where my love for the Gazelle comes from. In the past I have had other helicopters including a Robinson R44, a Eurocopter EC120 and a Eurocopter EC130, but the Gazelle is my favorite. Did you know that the Gazelle was the first helicopter without conventional tail rotor? Instead, it has a Fenestron, a shrouded rotor integrated into the tail. The Fenestron can now be seen in many modern helicopters from the Eurocopter/Airbus Helicopters brand.

Why is Your Helicopter Registered in Serbia?

It has to do with maintenance. Turbine engines but can be overhauled in a few countries, such as Canada, France and Serbia. SOKO previously built the Gazelle under licence in the former Yugoslavia and still provides maintenance services. Using these services is considerably cheaper there than in other countries, it saves about a quarter million on an overhaul.

Can You Say Something About the History of Your Helicopter?

YU-HVZ was built in 1975 and was made ​​for the American market. She has flown in America and England, the latter with the registration G-MANN. I bought it in 2014 from MW Helicopters at Stapleford Aerodrome (Essex). My helicopter is a "stretched Gazelle" which is 20 centimeters longer and therefore has more legroom for the rear passengers. There are a total of 1,269 Gazelles built by Aerospatiale and approximately 30 by the Yugoslav SOKO. Aerospatiale has 200-250 helicopters manufactured for the civilian market. Moreover, the prototype flew in 1967.

Peter van Zutphen with his SA341G stretched Gazelle YU-HVZ (cn 1295) aka 'Black Pete' at Teuge Airport in the Netherlands (Photo: Remco de Wit)

Black Pete's Interior (Photo: Remco de Wit)

Black Pete rear view (Photo: Remco de Wit)
            You can read the full interview (with additional photos) on the 'Up in the Sky' website here.

The interview is in Dutch, but Google may help in translating this.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice one Jos!

• I came across these images a few years ago. Since there was no info attached I'm unable to quote the helicopter's ID. Any help identifying this aircraft would be most welcome.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              There is a grey 'G' reg Ecureuil in the top shot meaning this photo is likely to have been taken in the UK. I am wondering whether this was one of the Swazi registered Gazelles?

• Of Concorde and Gazelles

Following on from XB's post ..

SA341 (cn 1001) F-WTNA as seen at Madrid–Torrejón Airport with Concorde G-BSST in 1972 (Photo: Juan Gonzalez)

But we've seen this before haven't we? Yes, I shared a 'cropped' close-up of this shot a while back (see here) but the shot above reveals the full extent of G-BSST.

We also have another 'Gaz n' Conc' shot on page 60 (see here) involving F-ZWRL.

Comment

• GazEngineer wrote: There will be a bit of confusion at first as she has been painted the same red with gold starburst as YU-HMC.

SA341G YU-HMC (cn 1136) as seen at Hillhead Quarry, Buxton, Derbyshire, on 24th June 2014

Ah .. 'Citizen Kane' .. now to be 'flattered' by a similarly painted G-HSDL. I suspect thought that DL's instrument panel sidings won't be red as are HMC's?

This means there will be three all-red Gazelles in the UK: YU-HMC, YU-HEV and G-HSDL.

GazEn, how long have MWH been painting these 'Rising Sun' (sunburst) tail schemes?

Comment

• GazEngineer
                GazEngineer commented
                Editing a comment
                Roughly 15 years, N565F being my personal favourite the blue with silver starburst seem to look sexy on that machine.

• She Lives!

Aviaforans will doubtless be glad to see that the X-Craft is 'alive and well', despite the fact that we haven't seen her for such a long time.

SA341G N341AS (cn 1042) as seen at Ursel Air Base on 2-3 July 2016 (Photo: Kris Christiaens)

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                It's always nice to see it... as well as her pilot

• Of Silverstone and Gazelles ..

I have seen a number of photos from this year's British Grnad Prix but .. so far .. no Gazelle shots. I suspect the number of Gazelles available for public transport in the UK must now be very few (if any). But, there didn't seem to be any private Gazelles either! However, I have only seen a small selection of shots, so there may yet be one or two which visited.

In the meantime we shall have to reflect upon Silverstone past ..

SA341G G-GAZI (cn 1136) as seen at Aston rugby pitch on 20th July 2003

G-GAZI was engaged in shuttle operations to Silverstone and where Aston Rugby Club served as a passenger collection site.

This craft (1136) was of course to become 'Citizen Kane' now YU-HMC (see further above).

SA341G(S) G-UTZY (cn 1307) as seen at Aston rugby pitch on 20th July 2003

Also flying into Silverstone on the same day was the stretched Gazelle 'Gutzy' operated by 'RicherJet'. Gutzy originally flew with Weston-based Helicopter Services (1983) as G-BKLV.

Comment

• Originally posted by GazEngineer
                Roughly 15 years, N565F being my personal favourite the blue with silver starburst seem to look sexy on that machine.
                Must agree that the starburst painted Fenestron looks nice, hopefully someday we'll also see a 'swirly' version (as per below):

Sorry for my lousy Paintshop skills, the stripes should be narrow like the ones in the top illustration.

For a photo of N565F see here.

Comment

• Tecnavia's SA341G F-GFCI (cn 1206) as seen at Nice Airport in May 1990

Comment

There is a grey 'G' reg Ecureuil in the top shot meaning this photo is likely to have been taken in the UK. I am wondering whether this was one of the Swazi registered Gazelles?
                  By Swazi do you mean the ex-UK mil ones which were put on that register?

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Firstly, congratulations on placing the 2,000th post on 'Shrieking Gazelles'.

Secondly, congratulations to Zishelix upon the relative 'success' of his thread.

Thirdly, yes I was wondering whether the unidentified craft was one of those which had been placed on the Swazi register. I don't think there were many, perhaps just four; namely WA1734 ex-3D-HGW now G-CBJZ, WA1600 ex-3D-HGZ now ZU-RLH, WA1906 ex-3D-HVW now G-BZDW and WA1150 ex-3D-HXL now G-BZDV. I was wondering whether one of these had been painted in that scheme, for I seem to remember a black and red bird on the Swazi register.

• Rotorspot
                    Rotorspot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Indeed there were 4 Gazelles on the Swazi register. G-BZDW was destroyed in an accident on 26-Nov-2002 and cancelled from the register on 05-Sep-2003.

Yes I was wondering whether the unidentified craft was one of those which had been placed on the Swazi register. I don't think there were many, perhaps just four; namely WA1734 ex-3D-HGW now G-CBJZ, WA1600 ex-3D-HGZ now ZU-RLH, WA1906 ex-3D-HVW now G-BZDW and WA1150 ex-3D-HXL now G-BZDV. I was wondering whether one of these had been painted in that scheme, for I seem to remember a black and red bird on the Swazi register.
                  Originally posted by Zishelix View Post

Judging by the seats in Zis' picture I would say this is a French/Yugo/civil machine, as the UK Mil Gazellles had different seating.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grazie Steve!

• Re our 2000th post on this thread, I would like to thank all of you who contributed Aviafora to become a reference site for Gazelle helicopter enthusiasts.

Also taking opportunity to invite any "posting shy" readers to share some interesting (preferably old) Gazelle photos they might have stored away somewhere!

Looking forward to next 2000 and more posts here!!

Comment

• More X-Craft ..

SA341G N341AS (cn 1042) as seen at Middelburg's Midden-Zeeland Airport in the Netherlands on 2nd July 2016 (Photo: Kees Marijs)

Comment

• SA341B ZU-RLH (cn WA1600) as seen at Nelspruit Airshow being flown by Juba Joubert (date unknown)

SA341F2 ZU-RTB (cn 1565) as seen at Wonderboom Airport on 10th June 2016 (Photo: Bruce Perkins)

Comment

• YU-HEH

SA341H YU-HEH (cn 011) as seen at Manchester Barton Aerodrome on 27th July 2008 (Photo: Steve Hall)

XX453

SA341B XX453 (cn WA1454) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 1st July 2016 (Photo: Matthew Rayner)

Check out the 'Guatemalan Gazelle' TG-ASM at Gazelles For Sale.

Keep track of other posts on Aviafora by visiting our Facebook page:

Comment

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post
                          Judging by the seats in Zis' picture I would say this is a French/Yugo/civil machine, as the UK Mil Gazellles had different seating.
                          I was never famous before the 2000th post eh!

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Extra famous now, lol!

• A BAG 'somewhere' over the UK

Comment

• SA341H Soko Partizan HA-LFX (cn 090) as seen at Győr-Pér Airport, Hungary in June 2016 (Photo: Peter Oroszvari)

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nice one Sav!

• At the right moment photo!

Comment

• G-ZZLE s/n WA1402 (ex-XX436 nicknamed "Gordon") at the Dawlish Air Show 2015 (Photo: Greg Cayhill)

See more photos here.

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nice shot!
                            Working...
                            X