Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Nellie'

SA342J(S) N624EL (cn 1094) as seen at Kortrijk, Wevelgem Airport in Belgium on 8th July 2016 (Photo: Nik Deblauwe)

Comment

• More BAG's

British Army Gazelle as seen over Belfast City Hall in June 1977

Comment

• And I'll match your BAG with a 'FAG' ..

French Army Gazelle SA.341F 'ARF' over Notre-Dame in Paris

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, nice one Zis!

• Royal Navy Sharks Display Team (no further details)

Comment

• Sadly I have no further details about this interesting photo:

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
            Sadly I have no further details about this interesting photo.
            The craft at the forefront is XW884 CU-41 (cn WA1150) built in 1973 and delivered to the Royal Navy in January of 1974 where she served with 705 squadron. In 2000 she was bought by MW Helicopters who put her on the Swazi reg where she became 3D-HXL, but she was shortly returned to the UK register to fly as G-BZDV which by all counts she is still doing with Dean Gregory.

The Gaz in the background is XW890 CU-53 (cn WA1161) which was also attached to 705 squadron but now serves as a gate guardian outside Gazelle House in Yeovilton and wears an AAC livery.

Gaz Snap

I am offering another 1973 built Navy bird:

SA341C XW861 probably taken around the time of her delivery in 1973

Now there is some confusion surrounding this craft’s construction number as Jos’ list has her as WA1102 becoming G-BZFJ and then UR-ABBA but, the CAA records show G-BZFJ as being cn. WA1098 which equates to G-BBHW on Jos’ list and which is also recorded as WA1098 on the CAA list. So, if you can figure that out – please let me know!

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Sav, thanks for your comment regarding CU-41/53's service history!

Re XW861 unclear s/n, I also have that one as WA1102.

• Excellent photo, thanks Sav! This is one of the first images of XW861, taken indeed back in 1973, probably in September!

The same machine at Redill (London Helicopter Center) hovering over the flock of demobbed RAF & Navy Gazelles in February 2002.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice.

• British Army Gazelles to Have Lives Extended Until 2025

The British Army's Westland Gazelle AH.1 observation and utility helicopters are to remain in service for another nine years according to the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD).

This extension will take the Gazelle past its 50th anniversary in UK military service (due to occur in 2021) and will make the type the longest serving active helicopter in UK's rotary-wing inventory.

Details of the extension emerged after the MoD confirmed to Jane's on 22 July that it is to run a new competition for all elements of the helicopter's in-service support in time for new contracts to be in place by March 2018.

The new contracts to keep the veteran helicopters in service will run from 2018 to 2025.

Britain's Army Air Corps Gazelles are set to remain in service until 2025

The AAC currently operates a fleet of 34 Gazelles spread between BATUS flight in Canada supporting the Suffield training site, manned aerial surveillance tasks with 5 Regiment AAC at Aldergrove in Northern Ireland, and special forces support at RAF Odiham in Hampshire. Gazelle training takes place at the Army Aviation Centre at Middle Wallop in Hampshire.

According to data released by the MoD in March, some 15 Gazelle are routinely undergoing maintenance with 19 in daily use.

Depth maintenance support and overhauls are currently provided by Cobham Aviation Services and Airbus Helicopters have a contract to provide post-design services (PDS) and logistic support for the Gazelle. Leonardo Helicopters (formerly AgustaWestland) also provide PDS support for the UK-specific parts of the aircraft and Safran Helicopters provide PDS and logistic support for the Gazelle's turbomeca engine.
            http://www.janes.com/article/62511/u...ded-until-2025

Comment

• Rotorspot
              Rotorspot commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Gary. So, actually, my database has 2 active ones too many.

• Gary Gazelle
              Gary Gazelle commented
              Editing a comment
              50th anniversary in UK military service (due to occur in 2021) I think the 50th anniversary will be 2023?

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps it will be 2023 but .. the article was saying that the Gazelle entered UK military service in 1971.

• Staying with Navy machines, G-ZZLE (XX436) at RNAS Yeovilton in July 2nd, 2016 (Photo: Kev Slade)

By the way, we already mention G-ZZLE few posts earlier when she was „dressed“ different way.

Comment

• It grieves me to be the bearer of some very sad news but, this is to advise that Nigel sadly passed away yesterday afternoon.

We believe that a blood clot following his post-accident surgery to be the probable cause.

The hospital did a fantastic job trying to resuscitate him but, unfortunately, they couldn't.

Comment

• Steve, this is tragic news.

Please extend our most heartfelt sympathies to Nigel's family.

You have also lost a dear friend and our thoughts are with you at this time.

Great strength to you, Nigel's family and friends.

Steve with Nigel and Steve's son earlier this year

Nigel Feetham RIP

"Oh life, you force me to swallow some bitterly unpleasant pills." — Anon

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dear Steve, my sincerest condolences upon Nigel's sudden passing. This is one of the sorrows of the aviation community, that those we love are too often taken from us. Please express my sympathies to Nigel's family and friends in their loss.

Blue skies for you Nigel!

• Gaz Down in Russia

Russia's East-Siberian Department of Transport Investigation Department has issued a notice identifying a Gazelle helicopter which crashed yesterday near the village of Ust-Uda in the Podvolochnoe District of the Angara region.

Local sources within Russia are identifying the aircraft as RA-2501G which, according to our records, has indeed been operating in the Angara region. The aircraft's pilot and one passenger were injured in the accident about which no further details are available at present.

SA341B RA-2501G as seen at Bratsk Airport, Irkutsk, Oblast, Russia in 2015 (Avia Archives)

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...u/&prev=search

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The aircraft has been identified as RA-2501G and based on our discussion on page 54 (see link below) I have gone with cn. WA1560 but if (as Steve suggests) GazEn can confirm this, it would be helpful.
                  >>> http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=4892#post4892

• Fene Strong
                  Fene Strong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was s/n 1560

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie FS!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                Oh no, one more Gazelle down!

Quick & full recovery to the crew!

Any clue about ID of the machine?
                Gaz Eng should be able to give you this.

Hope that the pilot and passenger are ok.

Steve

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for info, GazEng!

Any chance you might know what RA-regs become the other two?

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You never know GazEn, maybe they will send you all the bits and you will have another re-build on your hands!

• Fene Strong
                  Fene Strong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This aircraft was removed from Military service in 1987 due to a fatality.

• ALAT Gazelle patrolling over Afghanistan in 2009.

Comment

• New Export to South Africa

G-CHLW SA341B Gazelle AH.1, c/n 1409; cancelled 27-Jul-2016 on export to South Africa.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like another Paramount bird.

• GazEngineer
                    GazEngineer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We sent that out a long time ago now but Paramount were having trouble with the South African authorities getting it off the G reg. Since that aircraft we have sent them out still on the UK military reg so they can be more easily registered in SA.

• Missile Firing Exercise

YU-HEV Departure from Ulverston in Cumbria

(There seems to be an 'issue' with this video in that it doesn't play very smoothly).

Aviaforan Gary Gazelle has added some recent posts, see here.

Comment

• Héli-Union SA341G(S) F-GEHF cn 1320 (Photo: Philippe Boulay)

Héli-Union's F-GEHF (now YU-HEY) as seen 'somewhere' in France. In the absence of a date for this shot I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that this is 'probably' c.1980.

I won't conceal my 'dismay' at how miserable the Gaz exhaust begins to look when it is 'abandoned'. With less than an hour a week one should be able to keep it in fine fettle - a job some local scouts or CCF would jump at for the occasional fly. When I had my school exeat weekends many of them were spent at Gatwick Airport in the UK cleaning the underside of Ferranti's JetRangers (which the mechanics didn't especially enjoy doing). But, being small and with the use of a trolley board, it was no problem. I still remember 'Wee Johnny' (John Froud) diligently briefing me on steering clear of the antennas!

Now you can't post a shot like this without also offering a close-up of that classic 70's interior!

My 'favourite' aspect of this interior is the 'wood effect' behind the driver's door pocket, oh .. and the curtains of course (plus the pilot and passenger door-mounted ashtrays)! Note the additional space between the rear window (where the curtains are) and the bulkhead behind the rear passenger seating and which is a feature of the stretched Gaz.

In the 70's you could buy a vinyl adhesive roll which was produced in this 'wood effect'. It was quite the rage for a time (especially in the US) .. and was the epitome of tackiness!

Comment

• Nigerian Air Force

Nigerian Air Force Gazelle (no further details)

This recent photo of a NAF Gaz shows an 'X'-harness arrangement. This is the military equivalent of the bungee-strap arrangement which was used by many cameramen before the advent of bespoke gyro-stabilised helicopter cameras, only that instead of a camera this is used for something else. If you enlarge the photo you can see what that something else is.

In many nations around the globe, helicopters which have been supplied to perform light observation and training roles have been adapted into make-shift fighting craft. Only trouble is .. I don't think the Gaz is so well protected - even against small arms fire.

~ ~ ~

Garry Gazelle wrote: 843 didn't slide into 348 (note the numbers ) - they were both landing at the refuelling point when their blades contacted. 2 other ac damaged in the same incident, one overtorqued taking avoiding action and another was damaged by flying debris. The fifth ac was undamaged. No serious injuries in the Gazelles but the Norwegian refueller was injured by flying debris but thankfully made a full recovery. I have a post crash photo somewhere with one ac on it's side against the fuel pumps.
                      Gary, needless to say, the forum would be grateful to see this photo if ever you unearth it!

Comment

• Fene Strong
                        Fene Strong commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I remember the cartoons that came out after the Norwegian incident, over lapping H's.....

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How I should like to have seen those!

• At RNAS Yeovilton

SA341C G-ZZLE ex-XX436 (cn WA1402) as seen at Vale of White Horse Gliding Centre, Sandhill Farm, Oxfordshire on 24th July 2016

Comment

• Q: What's the Connection between Distribution Firm Amazon and the Aérospatiale Gazelle?

A: N16KH

On the morning of Thursday, March 6, 2003, Jeff Bezos chartered an Aerospatiale Gazelle helicopter in the remote reaches of southwest Texas. He knew the mountainous area from his teenage years, when he spent summers at his grandfather's ranch: At the Lazy G, he castrated and branded cattle, worked on a Caterpillar tractor, and laid pipes. Now he was interested in buying his own ranch.

The Gazelle helicopter flew near Cathedral Mountain, a monumental pile of eroded rock rising sharply from the high plains to a peak of 6,860 feet. The stony soil below was covered by dense forests of live oak, Douglas fir, aspen, maple, ponderosa pine, madrone, Arizona cypress, and juniper. Bezos rode with his executive assistant, Elizabeth Korrell, as the chopper was piloted by a local legend, Charles "Cheater" Bella. The veteran airman had flown in Rambo III, and survived a crash into New Mexico's Organ Mountains. He'd even been hijacked in 1988, when a woman aimed a gun at him and forced him to land in the New Mexico State Penitentiary to break out her inmate husband.

That morning in March 2003, while carrying the richest and arguably most renowned passenger of his long career, Cheater nearly lost control of the Gazelle in the powerful winds. He brought it to a quick landing, but the main rotor sliced into a cedar tree. The airframe split, and the helicopter rolled over and finally settled in the shallow waters of Calamity Creek. The copter was destroyed, but its passengers used their cell phones to call for help, and the U.S. Border Patrol sent a rescue party.
                        http://www.fastcompany.com/50541/inside-mind-jeff-bezos

Comment

• Gary Gazelle has now made numerous contributions across the thread, see his comments here.

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd like to thank Garry Gazelle for his contribution to this thread! Some valuable info, indeed

• Classic RAF Gaz

XW862 & XW858

Central Flying School SA341D XW862 'D' (cn WA1104) as seen at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall in August 1974

Previously G-CBKC now G-EZZL.

Central Flying School SA341D XW858 'C' (cn WA1089) as seen at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall in August 1974

Previously G-DMSS now G-ONNE.

Comment

• More Nellie ..

Is seems as though the shot of Nellie at the top of the page on 8th July could have caught her going in for maintenance.

Here she is coming out:

SA342J(S) N624EL (cn 1094) as seen at Kortrijk Wevelgem Airport in Belgium on 30th July 2016 departing for Paris
                          (All photos by Tom Buysse)

Perhaps XB is using the facilities at Gill Aviation for working on Nellie?

Comment

• xbdt
                            xbdt commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No this was not for maintenance, only fitting a Garmin GPS.

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Okay grazie. If you get a chance to capture a photo of her instrument panel in the future, we would appreciate it.

• More Gaz à la Française ..

SA341G F-GEHB (cn 1099) as seen 'somewhere' in France

Ex-N266E and seen above wearing 'NRS' titles.

Comment

• SA341 (cn 1001) F-WTNA (Sud Aviation Archives)

Comment

• SA341G N341AS (cn 1042) as seen at Ursel Air Base on 2nd July 2016 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

Comment

• More BAG's ..

SA341B XZ341 (cn WA1692) as seen at Greenham Common on 24th June 1979 (Photo: Ray Barber)

What an appropriate registration!

Comment

• Fene Strong
                                  Fene Strong commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Still with the MoD, although not a regular flyer.

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Grazie FS. Very little information available about this bird.

• Army Memories ..

(From the old Nostalgia Thread):

The late Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw is strapped into an Army Air Corps Gazelle at London's Battersea Heliport by Major Scott-Hopkins prior to departing for Sandhurst. Also seen is heliport manager Johnny Johnson, c. 1984

Sadly, they just don't make them like Sam Manekshaw anymore. The Bible-quoting first Field Marshall of India who was the 'hero' of several post-colonial wars in India.

A quintessential soldier, he once told the cadets at the Indian Military Academy, "You will not gain wealth and riches but you will have respect, and most importantly, you will be a soldier in this great Army."

Field Marshal Manekshaw travelled the world, led the Indian Army and witnessed and participated in five major military campaigns. In his retirement he settled in the serene town of Coonoor in the Nilgiri Hills where he lived with his wife Seelu.

As with many who knew him, his personal staff, notably Manbahadur (also ex-Army) and his family, adored Sam.

The military victory in East Pakistan and the creation of Bangladesh were seen as Sam Manekshaw's triumphs as much as then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's, and it was at this time that he could be said to be at the apogee of his fame.
                                Recommended reading: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Marsh.../dp/8185019029

Comment

• Inspired by Nellie?

Hughes 500D N13175 as seen leaving Thruxton Airfield for Shoreham on 26 July 2016 having just received a new coat of paint at Thruxton Helicopters

It is rumoured that this craft may soon be added to the UK register, perhaps to become G-MCDD.

The question though is .. was this new digital camouflage scheme inspired by Nellie?

Comment

• L'armée de Terre SA342 GBT (cn 2136) as seen on board the BPC Tonnerre during Opération Harmattan in 2011

L'armée de Terre SA342 GAH (cn 1849) as seen on board the BPC Tonnerre during Opération Harmattan in 2011

Comment

Working...
                                    X