Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RA-05708

Seeing as Andy is back, a chance to showcase some of his work:

SA341C RA-05708 (cn WA1045) as seen at Bourne Park, date unknown (Photo: Andrew Morley)

Ex-XW854 and G-TIZZ.

BATUS Flight

SA341B ZB671 (cn WA1958) of 29 'BATUS' Flight as seen at AAC Middle Wallop on 16th March 2000 (Photo: Stefan Szrama)

A BATUS Flight Gaz seen with her North American camouflage and awaiting the application of high visibility paint sections.

Comment

• Warty
      Warty commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't help but laugh at the idea of putting high-visibility paint on top of camouflage

• Can anyone tell me what this item is and its purpose on the rear landing skid strut that is circled in red. Thanks very much.

Comment

• Dear 'Goose'

A warm welcome to Aviafora!

Given that the owner of N341AS (aka 'The X-Craft') is a Founding Member of 'Shrieking Gazelles' I am sure you will receive a response from him directly.

It is interesting that you mention the item you have circled, for I have never noticed this before.

Once again, welcome to the thread.

Regards

Sav

Comment

• goose814
        goose814 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the welcome. I'm very happy to be part of this board. I have loved the Gazelle ever since I saw the movie Blue Thunder when it came out. The movie even inspired my love for helicopters and I became a helicopter mechanic because of it.

• Hello Goose and welcome to the forum!

The Gazelle has two types of landing gear; a rigid version and a flexible version.

The rigid version (like on N341AS) is the early type and needs a damper on each rear side, it also has an additional lever on the roof that locks and unlocks a flexible plate under the main gear box.

The flexible version has a hinge point at the center of the rear landing gear and does not need the above mentioned lever. It is also easier to land with the flexible gear as the rigid version is stiff like the AS350 or variants (as these also have rigid gear).

These two versions are of course there to reduce the chance of a ground resonance (although I have never encountered this in either configuration).

Here is a clip of what ground resonance can look like when it happens to a Gazelle. In this case the pilot managed to overcome the condition by taking-off:

And here it what is looks like when it happens to an AS350:

Comment

• goose814
        goose814 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

• xbdt
        xbdt commented
        Editing a comment
        Some pictures of a gazelle with rigid gear currently in overhaul process:

• goose814
        goose814 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for those. So that would be the pin that locks and unlocks the flex plate, and I see that the lever it's attached to has a cable that I assume leads to the lever in the cockpit. This brings up two other questions for me. One, since it is a cable and not a push/pull rod, would there be some type of spring that would keep the pin in until the lever is pulled to unlock it? Two, would you have any photos of the lever in the cockpit for this mechanism. I'm aware that the Gazelle has several numerous overhead levers that have different functions, most of which I've been able to identify, however I'm not sure which lever this is. Again, thank you very much for helping to educate me.
        Last edited by goose814; 2nd April 2017, 21:50.

• YU-HPZ

SA342J(S) YU-HPZ (cn 1473) as seen at Stapleford Aerodrome on 14th April 2013 (Photo: David Reeves)

Comment

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to see the head cover fitted, good for preventing Parrots stealing the reservoir rubber covers when in jungle locations.....

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, indeed! Don't your British magpies also possess a penchant for 'pecking' at things!

• This footage taken yesterday in Russia:

SA341H RA-05714 (cn S052) ex 4O-HJS

Comment

• More North American Gazelles Registered

N2MF SA341F2, c/n 1448, ex ALAT 1448
        N341MG SA341F2, c/n 1482, ex ALAT 1482
        N2TW SA341F2, c/n 1575, ex ALAT 1575

All registered on 07-Dec-2016 to THEODORE R WRIGHT ENTERPRISES INC.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice one Jos! I like the concise registration N2MF!

Can anyone advise us as to what is happening with all these ex-ALAT birds and again .. can anyone say whether the French are disposing of these aircraft piecemeal to individuals or whether they are part of a larger consignment being sold off by ALAT?

• G-UZEL

SA341G G-UZEL (cn 1413) as seen at Lasham Airport on 29th August 2007 (Photo: Ashley Middleton)

Became HA-LFT, now N341GL.

Comment

• Do you enjoy reading 'Shrieking Gazelles'?

Are you interested in Gazelles?

Are you 'reasonably' computer 'savvy'?

Do you have any available time on your hands?

"Aye aye, where is this going" you may be asking!

And you would be right .. in that I am on the scout for volunteers!

I try (Monday through Saturday) to post at least one Gazelle item on the thread each day but, would welcome the involvement of others who may be interested in contributing (when they can) to 'Shrieking Gazelles'. There is a 'pattern' I follow in order to be able to post reasonably up-to-date Gazelle news as well as new and different photos, and I will gladly share this with anyone interested in making regular contributions. This has come about because I am going to have less available time on my hands next year.

Please don't feel obliged to respond unless this is something you are genuinely interested in and, if you are, you may contact me at: aviafora1@gmail.com

And if no one is available, fear not, we will come up with an alternative solution.

With regards

Sav

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Sav, you can count on my help!

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie Zis, will mail you. Perhaps you could do one or two days per week and if we attract additional volunteers it will also make it easier.

• Warty
            Warty commented
            Editing a comment
            Not saying I have enough background info/memories/photos of my own to make make a regular weekly contribution - but with a few pointers and some digging around on t'interweb I could probably find enough to help out here )

• I was thinking about a logo for the Middle Wallop April 2017 Fly-In, so I am opening the contest with this idea!

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            I've mentioned this to Andy and he will probably start a thread specifically for the Fly-in as you suggest.

• N48284
            N48284 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's Great Zis, we have a couple of designs at the moment and one is very similar to yours. I'm guessing F-WOFH is no longer around? I will start a thread for the Fly In later this week hopefully once I have the logos back.

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to hear that, Andy!

More about F-WOFH here https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/7-april-1967/

• Hi Savoia, to answer your question - the helicopters are being disposed of only in lots to approved companies. All of the French 341's have now been sold.

Comment

• 'TR', many thanks for your response, much appreciated and .. a warm welcome to the forum!

It seems like this is 'new members week', although we have yet to hear back from 'Goose'!

Just for clarification, when you say that all the 341's have now been sold, are you referring to those which were allocated for disposal or has L'Armée de terre in fact shed it's entire inventory and now only operate 342's?

Once again many thanks and welcome aboard!

Sav

Comment

• goose814
              goose814 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm still here. Holidays, work, wife, kids, life, etc. kept me busy for a while but I'm going to try to check back regularly. And thanks for the welcome.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
            Just for clarification, when you say that all the 341's have now been sold, are you referring to those which were allocated for disposal or has L'Armée de terre in fact shed it's entire inventory and now only operate 342's?

The entire 341 inventory is gone and they are only operating 342's now.

A batch of 342's were parked and offered for disposal over the past year, however none of the bids made available were accepted. Shortly after the last offering several of the 342's marked for disposal were de-preserved and recalled into service.

The EC120 has not been able to fulfil the Army's training requirements as expected, in particular the mountain/high altitude portion of their syllabus. On one hand it is great to see the Gazelles being recalled back into active duty, but on the other we were hoping to acquire a handful!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie TR, much appreciated. It is great to finally receive some news regarding the fate of these French Gazelles. Do you have a rough estimate as to how many 341's ALAT have disposed of altogether or how many they originally had in their inventory?

Regarding the Colibri's 'hot and high' performance yes, I've heard it said from the beginning (when the craft was first released) that her performance is mediocre.

• From the archives . . . August 1969

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Some nice Gaz nostalgia there Warty!

• Originally posted by trwright View Post
            Hi Savoia, to answer your question - the helicopters are being disposed of only in lots to approved companies. All of the French 341's have now been sold.
            Tr Wright

There is some truth to what you say but all the 341's are definitely not sold.

Steve

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah ha .. well there you go TR .. there may yet be a chance for you to get some 341's!

• Andy wrote: I'm guessing F-WOFH is no longer around?
            Andy, I am not entirely sure about F-WOFH but, sn 002 (which did have a fenestron), is in a French museum as per XB's past post which you can see here.

It might be interesting to identify which is the earliest serial number in the UK and also perhaps which UK-based Gaz has the most hours, you could then present a box of chocolates to the respective winners seeing as the fly-in will be the weekend before Easter!

I 'think' the earliest non-flying (UK assembled Gaz) may be up in a museum near Steve?

Warty wrote: Not saying I have enough background info/memories/photos of my own to make make a regular weekly contribution - but with a few pointers and some digging around on t'interweb I could probably find enough to help out here.
            Warty, this is (potentially) 'great' news. Grazie mille!

I will mail you and we can perhaps set-up a Skype call or something and I can go through the various details. Once again many thanks .. this is a nice Christmas gift, lol!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah well that didn't take long, lol! Grazie Stefano!

1012 .. G-ZLLE .. Currently registered to MW although not sure whether her CofA is currently valid, perhaps GazEngineer can tell us?

• Fene Strong
              Fene Strong commented
              Editing a comment
              UK Military wise fleet leader had 12,950 hours at the start of December 16

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie FS. Any chance of an ID for this cab so that we may nominate her for 'highest timer' or whatever title it will be?

• G-VOIP

SA341D G-VOIP (cn WA1792) as seen at Bidford Airfield on 24th August 2016 (Photo: Steve Jones)

VOIP's owner has kept her 'pipe' nice and clean. Well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by trwright View Post
              The entire 341 inventory is gone and they are only operating 342's now.
              Oh dear, it seems my database has become obsolete with regard to the status of the ALAT machines.

However, thanks for the info TR Wright!

Comment

• UK Gazelle info

It would seem that the oldest airworthy Gazelle might be G-IBNH s/n 1033 which is ex G-SWWM, XW853.

S/n 1012 G-ZLLE is marked as CofA expired 6.11.07 with MW Helicopters, Stapleford, so assumed to be long term non airworthy.

However a Crabtree Gazelle G-CIEY ex XW851 could become the oldest when it flies !

The oldest was S/n 1007 G-ZELE ex G-CBSA, XW845 until it was de-registered on 14.9.15 becoming VH-OIW.

As far as hours go....

Highest: S/n 1385 G-CDNO has about 12,140+ hours (ex XX432)

Lowest: S/n 1187 G-GAZA has about 2,619 hours. This is probably due to its long term storage after being impounded as G-RALE for drug running.

Would also like to help out with any photographs for the Middle Wallop Fly-in and also like to attend by road if that is possible to arrange. As Savoia and zishelix are aware I have photographs of all but a few of the UK civil and Military Gazelle helicopters.

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mamma mia Elipix! You are alive .. thank God! This time it has truly been too long amico!

Wow, didn't realise G-CDNO had that much time on her but, it seems as though the craft Fene Strong has mentioned may have pipped G-CDNO at the post by just a few hours.

Hopefully Andy will invite G-IBNH to attend as one of the oldest airworthy cabs. Once Andy puts up the 50th Anniversary thread I shall put out a request for ideas as to how one might suitably acknowledge these craft.

It would be great if you can get to Middle Wallop for this event; hopefully Andy will expound on the details for those who will attend by ground.

In the meantime maybe you can contact Iain Walker (G-OGAZ) and encourage him to participate .. you might then perhaps ride down with him! Contact him in any case and tell him he is most welcome on Shrieking Gazelles!

Thanks for this info and nice to see you back!

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice to see you back, Helipix!

• Although there is a reference to the "third pre-production SA.341 Gazelle, development aircraft for the British Army's advanced light general-purpose helicopter, making its first flight at Yeovil on April 28" in 1970 it may not actually be that it was the airframe's first flight ever or anywhere.

It appears to have been manufactured by Sud Aviation and first registered as F-ZWRI before becoming XW276 for the British Army and then (possibly) going to 656 Sqn AAC in Hong Kong at some point? The Gazelles that replaced the Sioux in RAF Sek Kong towards the end of 1974 had been found unsuitable for Hong Kong and, by the end of 1975, were returned to the UK.

As md600driver commented, it is currently in Newark.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, this old bird in Hong Kong? I should love to see some photos of her time there if ever they should crop up.

I wonder then which was the very first Westland-built craft?

• Warty
                  Warty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'I wonder then which was the very first Westland-built craft?'

1002 / XW842 perhaps? written off in Soltau, northern Germany following a wire strike Aug 1979. No casualties.

• N48284
                  N48284 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  XW842 was indeed the first Westland built example.

• Following on from Warty's info above regarding 003, I have been informed that there are discussions taking place this week to see whether this craft can be 'roaded' to Middle Wallop for the event.

Imagine that, seeing this old bird alongside some of her contemporaries once again!

So, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Andy has promised to advise us on the outcome.

Comment

• N48284
                  N48284 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately Newark Air Museum Trustees have declined our request to get XW276 to MW for the event.

• Warty
                  Warty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Strange that the terms of the loan to Newark from Middle Wallop don't allow it to be borrowed back for a day.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pity to hear that.

• Yes, they really were once (briefly) in Hong Kong with 656 Squadron . . . .

see also: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=5173#post5173

Edit: the timings of when they were out there may have been more like 1975-77

Oops !

XX409 being recovered in Hong Kong Harbour Feb 1977

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah yes, those were the days

Any chance you might know what caused XX409 to dive? Cabin section seems intact so I hope the crew escaped unhurt.

• Warty
                  Warty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Zishelix, see:
                  http://656.vps4.digitoolbox.com/file...010-spring.pdf
                  for the full story. Too much for me to summarise. Go to page 36 or search for 'Fogden'. The pilot's closing words . . .

'When I was serving in MOD 24 years later, I found myself working with the friend who had been the OC LAD at 656 Squadron Army Air Corps at the time of the accident. He had liberated a few mementos from the badly damaged XX409 including the instrument panel face. When I left the Army, he presented it to me on a suitably inscribed wooden mount and I find myself gazing at it now on the wall of my study as I finish writing this article!'

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Much obliged for info, Warty!

Any chance for obtaining these 'XX409 recovery' pics in hi-res for private collection. A long shot I know

• One of YU-HPZ on a lovely day at Lydd earlier this year whilst following the Gumball Rally's Team56 to Bucharest. I was taking photos of the Lambo around the M25 from onboard, sadly I was dropped off at Lydd as I couldnt spare the time to continue to the finish.

YU-HPZ getting Airborne from Lydd by Andrew Morley

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice one Andy, thanks for sharing!

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nice Andy, bravo!

• SA.341F (s/n 1678) ZU-RLE during last Africa Aerospace and Defence Exhibition, September 16th, 2016. (Photo: Brian Spurr)

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice shot. So many ex-ALAT birds now in South Africa.

• SA342M1 Gazelle Viviane pre-flight inspection

Comment

• Rotorway (or as a Taiwanese friend of mine is inclined to say .. 'Lotor-Wey'!

Rotorway 162F Exec G-OHOV (cn 6885) as seen at Sywell Aerodrome on 4th September 2016 (Photo: Derek Heley)

Oh yes, and I think there may be a Gaz in there too!

XB, are you able to say what is attached to the front right skid?

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah bravo XB, grazie mille!

I mentioned a while back that perhaps having a removable weight at the bottom of the fenestron might be a solution for CG issues on the stretched Gaz, for there are reports of running out of aft cyclic in certain scenarios. Do you think this could work?

• xbdt
                    xbdt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know what the fwd c/g is compared to std version (cannot find it in the manual) but yes that could work but then we have to measure the weight of additional section in front of the mast and 20cm displacement of the cabin to the front. The forward c/g of the stretched version could be set more aft by filling the boot with lead shot but I wouldn't put more than 1 or 2kg in it.

Another thing is that it might be sloppy on the t/r authority as there is more inertial weight to displace...not sure about this.
                    Another option would be changing the NiCd battery by lighter li-Ion versions (also the voltage regulator will need to be updated then).

The final note is that these mods could be done only with Gazelles in experimental category as messing around with the std design is simply not allowed or you'll need to apply for an stc.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grazie XB. Yes, anything in the tail (or any modifications to the aircraft) would require an STC as you say. An interim solution could then be some removable lead (safely stowed) at the rear of the luggage compartment just as you suggest.

Interesting about the fenestron response, this could well be the case, especially on the older unmodified fenestrons.

Speaking of batteries, does the Gazelle have a voltmeter showing how much charge is in the battery?

• Warty wrote: "Strange that the terms of the loan to Newark from Middle Wallop don't allow it to be borrowed back for a day."
                  Indeed. Strange and somewhat disappointing.

Egyptian Air Force

Egyptian Air Force SA342L (cn 2041)

The registration number for this craft 'may' be 8242 reading right to left and depending on whether the 'backward 7' is a 2 or a 3 but I think it is a 2.

Can anyone say whether this 342L was assembled by ABHCO or were the ABHCO Gazelles all 341's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                    I mentioned a while back that perhaps having a removable weight at the bottom of the fenestron might be a solution for CG issues on the stretched Gaz, for there are reports of running out of aft cyclic in certain scenarios. Do you think this could work?

Speaking of batteries, does the Gazelle have a voltmeter showing how much charge is in the battery?
                    The Britsh mil Gazelles have a place with two long bolts under the fenestrom in the frangable fairing where you can put weights for balancing.

Yes there is a volt meter and on some there is an amp meter switch.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie Steve. XB was saying that for the stretched Gaz it may be possible to put some weight in the luggage compartment to help offset any CG issues for certain loading configurations, so perhaps this could be a solution for flyers of the 'longer' Gaz.

I am glad to hear about the voltmeter. This is such an inexpensive item but potentially very useful, especially for indicating if there is sufficient power for starting.

• xbdt
                      xbdt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      yes the voltammeter is very inexpensive, only 40270 EUR new from Airbus! :-)

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure where the comma goes, but nothing would surprise me!

• YU-HEY

SA341G(S) YU-HEY (cn 1320) as seen at Bedford Aerodrome (no additional details)

Comment

• SA341B ZB678 (cn WA1979) refuelling at Warton Aerodrome on 14th December 2016

Comment

Working...
                      X