• Show
Clear All

• Thirsty?

Try a bottle of Gaz beer!

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting concept, supporting Air Ambulance by selling aviation advertised alcohol. I'd say they not only support but makes their job runs daily

OK, OK I know many oy you beer lovers doesn't consider beer an alcohol

• Just found this website with some rare Gazelle photos on it.

http://gallery.airbushelicopters.com...rs/category/68

Enjoy
    Helipixman

Comment

• xbdt
      xbdt commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice find!

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
    Just found this website with some rare Gazelle photos on it.

http://gallery.airbushelicopters.com...rs/category/68

Enjoy

Helipixman

Wow, some nice shots there Elipix, bravo!

Zis, is this the PHI bird you've been asking about for the past five years and more?

SA341G (cn 1031) as seen at Marignane on 13th November 1972

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    Zis, is this the PHI bird you've been asking about for the past five years and more?
    Actually I was looking for c/n 1023 (N9076) but will accept this one as consolation prize

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah well, hopefully one day we will obtain a shot of PHI's only ever Gazelle. At least you have the only Bristow Gazelle, so let's see what else crops up.

• G-GAZA

SA341G G-GAZA (cn 1187) as seen at Stapleford Aerodrome on 13th May 2017 (Photo: Vernon Harvey)

Comment

• Fene Strong
      Fene Strong commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like they have been using that wall for a bit of blade tracking.......

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, nice one FS!

It reminds me of accounts retold by my late godfather, who was a test pilot on the Bristol Sycamore, and in which he described how they would colour the blade caps with chinagraph pencils after which an engineer would gingerly approach the whirling disk with a square of cardboard atop a wooden pole. When eventually the tips would strike the card, a three-line mark would declare the relative position of each blade!

• Savoia wrote: It reminds me of accounts retold by my late godfather, who was a test pilot on the Bristol Sycamore, and in which he described how they would colour the blade caps with chinagraph pencils after which an engineer would gingerly approach the whirling disk with a square of cardboard atop a wooden pole. When eventually the tips would strike the card, a three-line mark would declare the relative position of each blade!
    That method was still used in the military into the early 80's, a bit more sophisticated though, canvas flag on metal support, had to make sure you judged it correctly....

Comment

• A couple of newer shots of two South African Gazelles

Photo by Bruce Perkins

Photo by Bruce Perkins

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah bravo Elipix, lovely!

I've been trying to get a clear shot of ZU-RJH for some weeks now, so this is most welcome. Looks as if they've decked her out nicely with skid fairings and the much needed sand filter. I sometimes wonder where they get the tailrotor driveshaft covers from (aside from ordering them new) because one doesn't imagine that these are lying around all over the place.

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        RJH has got a front bumper then, around the battery bay.

• xbdt
        xbdt commented
        Editing a comment
        This is part of the wire-cutter installation.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

I sometimes wonder where they get the tailrotor driveshaft covers from (aside from ordering them new) because one doesn't imagine that these are lying around all over the place.
      The tail rotor shaft covers and skid leg covers are manufactured in South Africa by a local company.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. What else Gazelle accessories (new one) could be found on the market?

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Stefano!

Well done to the South Africans. I am sure that the cost of their locally produced accessories come in at around 80% less than the Airbus list price. This kind of initiative is long overdue! Roll-on many more internationally registered Gazelles (perhaps under 'special' category) and which allow for this to be done. Great stuff!

Moreover, if anyone is able to buy-up the Gazelle type certificate (if you can wrest it out of Airbus' hands), then please do so!

• Gendarmerie Royale du Maroc

SA342K CN-AIO (cn 1376) as seen at Marignane on 27th February 1976 (Photo: Airbus Archives)

Comment

• 'Piece of cake' says a gamer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
          "Piece of cake' says a gamer!"
          Ah yes, piece of cake indeed! That's just what this guy said! (Scroll to 7 mins).

Speaking of piece of cake, there was a TV series in the UK which came out after I had left the UK, but the series is available to buy. It dealt with life during WW2. You can see a short clip here.

Seeing as you have highlighted the sim Gaz, its worth noting that these computer generated digital renditions of the Gazelle, are steadily improving ..

To see a real Cypriot Gaz, go to page 13.

Comment

• Another one to look out for:

G-WCRD Moving onto YU Register

G-WCRD SA341G, c/n 1390; cancelled 01-Jun-2017 to Serbia.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Jos' database says:

YU-HOT Sud-Aviation 341G Gazelle ('stretched') 1390 N49527, N6KT, F-GEHD, G-WCRD, (YU-HOT)

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              And yet I cannot see this on the current page? >http://www.rotorspot.nl/current/yu-c.php

• Rotorspot
              Rotorspot commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct. YU-HOT was a reservation and so far I have no confirmation that she actually did become YU-HOT.

• G-HSDL

SA341B G-HSDL (WA1227) as seen at Manchester Barton Aerodrome on 31st May 2017 (Photo: Mike Powney)

The photographer notes that while G-HSDL arrived at Manchester Barton this past Wednesday 31st May, she evidently went tech and departed the next day on board a truck!

Comment

• Former Crabtree Gaz in South Africa

Comment

• SA342M Viviane 'GBY' as seen at Base Aéronavale Landivisiau, France, on 5th June 2017 (Photo: Ali Hunt)

Seen yesterday attending the 2017 Tiger Meet being hosted at Landivisiau from 5th-16th June and wearing special 'Night Watch' colours.

Comment

• SA341D G-CBSI XZ934 (WA1736) as seen at Old Warden on 4th June 2017

Seen attending the 'Fly Navy 2017' event at Old Warden on Sunday.

Comment

• Montenegrin Air Force SA341's as seen at Cerklje ob Krki Air Base in Slovenia on 5th June 2017 (Photo: Daniel Mlakar)

A pair of Montenegrin Air Force Gazelles are currently in Slovenia participating in NATO's Joint Tactical Attack Controller or JTAC exercise - exercise 'Adriatic Strike' - which runs from 5th-10th June and is being led by Slovenia.

http://www.ac.nato.int/archive/2017/...iatic-strike-2

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    These two birds put a smile on my face when saw them flying over my hometown on their way to Slovenia few days ago. Almost couldn't believe to hear lovely 'shrieking' sound again

Pity, wasn't able to take a photo.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Perhaps on the way back!

• WA341B s/n 1208 as N341AH at Minden Tahoe in June 25th, 2005 (Photo by: Mike Evans)

Repainted overall black a bit later
                  http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=3279#post3279

Since 2010 this machine flying in Philippines as RP-C77. Sadly, no photo available… yet.

We might seen it here http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=2167#post2167 but no info confirmation so far.

Also another photo of 4146/GBY before she left for the Tiger meet:

Comment

• SA341G D-HOPL (cn 1095) as seen at Marignane in 1974 (Photo: Airbus Archives)

Comment

• Unidentified SA341F2 in South Africa (Photo: Tod Burns)

Comment

• I-PTEC Identity

According to Air Britain News of May 2017, the ID of I-PTEC (EFI 342 Gazelle) has finally been established through visual inspection. It turns out to be c/n 1601, ex D-HOPN, which at one time was reserved as F-GDRW, but that registration never was taken up.

Cheers,

Jos.

Comment

• G-CTFS

SA341C G-CTFS (WA1081) as seen at Breighton on 11th June 2017 (Photo: Jez)

Comment

• Jean-Marie Besse (flight engineer), Denis Prost (test pilot), Jean Boulet (flight test director), René Mouille (Engineer and head of R&D) after speed record May 13th 1971.

Comment

• Arriel engine on Gazelle test bed.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              C'est très jolie XB, bravo!

Question: Some time back we reported on HAL's installation of the 1,100shp TM333-2M2 in their Cheetah/Lama (see link below). Do you think this motor could run in the Gazelle?

> http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=2414#post2414
                              > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbomeca_TM_333

• xbdt
                              xbdt commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I think everything is possible, it is a matter of perseverance. IIRC the Arriel engine turns the other way than the Astazou and they had to add an additional gear box on the Gaz MGB input motion. Information not confirmed.

• ZU-RLE

SA341F2 ZU-RLE (1678) as seen at Waterkloof Air Force Base in September 2016 (Photo: Niel Swart)

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              XB, the paint used on the Gazelle's main blades, is this 'regular' airframe paint?

• xbdt
                              xbdt commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm using SIKKENS paint (mostly used to spray cars) as this is one of the best, thinnest and most durable paints. Paint has been mixed to correct color and matte ratio.

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie XB!

Would be nice to see some blue painted Gaz blades, as on the Écureuil.

• C/N 1390

As mentioned before: G-WCRD SA341G, c/n 1390, was cancelled 01-Jun-2017 to Serbia, with YU-HOT being reserved.

On 13-Jun-2017 YU-HOT was seen at Stapleford, so apparently she has been registered as such by now.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie Jos. Hopefully a photo of her will emerge before long.

• YU-HOT

At Stapleford Tawney. She has worn these marks for quite some time.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nice one Elipix!

• Rotorspot
                              Rotorspot commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Fully agreed. Thanks.

• SA341G G-BAGJ (WA1039) as seen at RAF Waterbeach on 4th September 1977 (Photo: Peter Nicholson)

Nosco if you're reading this, this craft while originally a Westland bird (one of their demonstrators), was bought by SFT after spending some time with United Marine and Air Zermatt (HB-XIL), eventually becoming G-SFTA.

Comment

• Helipixman
                              Helipixman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Fond memories as this was the first helicopter I flew in (G-BAGJ) from Battersea Heliport to Leavesden in 1974.

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie Nosco. I wasn't aware she wore that serial, most interesting.

Great stuff Elipix! Do you happen to remember the name of the driver who flew you? Seems like we both had our first rotary-wing flight in the mid 70's, mine was in '75!

• Helipixman
                              Helipixman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hi Sav Just pipped you to the post then my Gazelle (G-BAGJ) trip was 5th October 1974. Sadly not sure about the pilots name but it would be great to know. Maybe something like Meary ? Most of my subsequent heli flying was Jet Rangers and Long Rangers.

As far as this Gazelle being XW858. I dont think she ever wore these markings it was just an allocation.

• SA341G F-MTZR (1087) as seen at Marignane on 21st December 1973 (Photo: Airbus Archives)

One imagines that to have worked with Sud Aviation then Aérospatiale in the 60's and 70's would have been a most pleasant time to be with them. Imagine witnessing the birth of the Alouettes, the Puma, the Frelon, the Gazelle, the Dauphin and to work alongside the likes of Jean Boulet, Denis Prost, Jean Marie Besse, René Mouille and others!

Jos, do you think F-MTZR should be entered on your list before F-BVEI? Was this perhaps a test registration?

Never mind Jos, I've now seen that on your 'live list' the inclusion is already there: http://www.rotorspot.nl/historic/f-1.php

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Great stuff Jos! I am sure Zis will be able to help with 1066 and 1084.

XB, what about F-M as per the Electricite de France Gaz above, is this also a test registration?

Also, did you see my question about Gazelle blade paint above? > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=7756#post7756

• xbdt
                              xbdt commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Only F-Wxxx stands for limited airworthiness (limited in time, distance, special permit etc). All new aircraft built in France start with F-Wxxx as they all need to do some flight test before delivery.
                              F-Pxxx stands for experimental. All other starting letters can be used for std airworthiness.

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie XB!

Seems then as if this craft began as F-MTZR and was then re-registered as F-BVEI, only that her initial registration (MTZR) seems out of sequence.

• C/N 1533 ID Confirmed

Another confirmed identity:

F-ZKCP SA342L c/n 1533 has been confirmed as Egypt serial 3402.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I may have asked before, and if so my apologies, but roughly how many Gazelles do Egypt have? I have seen them in Air Force and Police livery. Does anyone know how many aircraft ABHCO assembled?
                          Working...
                          X