Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URSEL 2017

Looks as if the X-Craft could be at Ursel next weekend!

https://www.facebook.com/urselavia/

Comment

• xbdt
      xbdt commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure about this, but will be at http://www.atcc-opendoor.be/ coming Friday.

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Great stuff! Please post a shot or two after your visit. Especially if another Gaz is accompanying you! Grazie.

• SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) as seen at Weston-super-Mare on 17th June 2017 (Photo: Kevin Slade)

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      There were 5 Gazelles there over the weekend!

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie Stefano! Hopefully some shots of the other craft will crop-up soon.

• SA341G N341GL (cn. 1413) as seen at Kenosha Airport, Wisconsin, on 29th July 2016 (Photo: Vince Horan)

Ex HA-LFT.

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Niiice one

• Aviation Légère des Armées Gabon

Gabon Army Air Corps SA342L (cn. 5019) TR-KCU

Lebanese Air Force

Lebanese Air Force SA342L L-801 (Photo: Federico Grattoni)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Some kind of radio equipment on TR-KCU, huh?

• Force Aérienne Tchadienne

Chad Air Force SA341 'OAF' NFI

Comment

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      TT-OAF SA341H then SA342L serial no 1378 was withdrawn from use and F-GGKV was reserved but not taken up

TT-OAG SA341G then SA341H then back to SA341G serial no 1186 withdrawn from use and F-GGKU was reserved.

So the one in the background will be TT-OAG with SA341G on tail...... Anyone known where these ended up ?

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm affraid these both were dismantled and sold as spare parts during late 1980's

• SA342M 3862 'GAL' Scale Model Demo Flight

Comment

• Zishelix wrote: Some kind of radio equipment on TR-KCU?
    I am not entirely sure. Was hoping that XB may be able to assist.

He should be out Gazelling today with the X-Craft at the Belgian Air Traffic Control Centre.

Comment

• The Haelo Gazelle

Some news, videos and photos courtesy of Avia member Adrian.

HA-LFH, the 'Haelo Gaz' is safely back in the UK and can be seen below arriving at and departing from the Devonshire Arms in Yorkshire.

The Haelo Gaz Arriving at the Devonshire Arms:

The Haelo Gaz Departing the Devonshire Arms:

Haelo Gaz now wearing new branding

The 'Haelo Hummer'

Once again our thanks to Adrian for his contribution.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, and with some more toys on the way, although my lips are sealed for now!

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Sav, I know you are one who maintains confidentiality, so I won't push you on what kind of new toy is on the way, but please let us know if the new toy will make a 'shrieking' sound!

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, yes .. a VERY LOUD shrieking sound!

• More Haelo Gaz

Adrian has kindly sent another couple of stills from the Haelo Gaz visit to the Devonshire Arms.

The 'Haelo Bird' HA-LFH at the Devonshire Arms in Yorkshire

The Haelo Gaz looking pretty on the pad

Many thanks to Avia member Adrian for these shots!

Elsewhere on Avia .. check out today's Alouette News!

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Superb work! Nice scenery as well

• Sorry for the absence lately, now the guess to what our anniversary event will be next year are both wrong, the aircraft in question is fixed wing.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, okay! Well perhaps we could do with another clue. Are we to assume it is a plank with Aussie connections?

Please keep any Gaz shots coming, as we always enjoy these.

• Rotorspot
        Rotorspot commented
        Editing a comment
        The first prototype of the de Havilland Australia DHA-3 Drover took to the air in 1948, 70 years ago next year.

• Lorraine and Ed Tercier in front of their RC model of former C-GDUG

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        I see Mr. Tercier still missing his beloved Gazelle

Just wondering, a gift from België?

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice XB. We send through you our good wishes to the Terciers!

• SA342M 'GBY' accompanied by an Italian Air Force AB212 at this year's Tiger Meet at Landivisiau in June

XX436 in company with ZB627 in March 2017

Comment

• SA341B ZU-RLH (cn WA1600) as seen at Nelspruit Airport in South Africa on 16th June 2017 (Photo: Garth Calitz)

Comment

• A scene from 'Best of The Best II' movie:

Some more pics of N123TY in color can be seen here: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=4476#post4476

Comment

• Gazelles at Weston

SA341C XX436 (WA1402) as seen at Weston-super-Mare on 17th June 2017 (Photo: Bob Sharples)

Stefano has reported that there were five Gazelles at Weston on 17th. This is the second shot we've managed to glean. Anyone who happens upon any images of the remaining three Gazelles in attendance .. please feel free to post them.

The only other bird we've captured so far was G-ZZEL which can be seen on the previous page.

Gaz Bits

Nothing certain about these shots, but .. it is 'possible' that they were taken in the sprawling metropolis of Chew Magna in Somerset in 2013.

Unidentified Gaz Cab perhaps seen in Somerset in the UK

Different angle on the same Cab

​Gaz Cab perhaps seen in Somerset. This 'may' be XW904

​Gaz Cab perhaps seen in Somerset. This 'may' be XW904

​Unidentified Gaz Cab perhaps seen in Somerset in the UK

All photos by Justin Edwards.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Very interesting pics!

The red cabin remains could be G-BZOS (WA341C; s/n 1173) which crashed near Wellesbourne in 2002. Pics probably taken at St Mary Bourne scrapyard.

G-BZOS accident report: https://assets.publishing.service.go...pdf_502076.pdf

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Well done Zis, much appreciated.

Was BZOS ever re-built do you know?

I see she fell victim to the 'Tail Swing Bite'. (Those unfamiliar with the 'Tail Swing Bite' can read about it here > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...abase#post1827).

Regarding the Tail Swing Bite, after a rash of accidents (mainly with low-time owners in the UK) it seems as if someone set about educating new Gaz owners on how to avoid this predicament, as there have (thankfully) been remarkably few recurrences. Does anyone know if there actually was an effort to specifically train new Gaz owners in protecting themselves from this predicament?

• SA342 'GEJ' as seen at ​Base aérienne 279 Châteaudun, France on 27th June 2017 (Photo: Paul Marais-Hayer)

Comment

• An tAerchór

241 and 237 at Baldonnel in 1983.

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to see you back, Joe!

Thanks for nice pics as well

By the way, any luck about those Air Corp's '75th Anniversary' and 'RIAT 2005' badges in hi-res http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...7503#post7503?

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, welcome back Joe!

Nice too to see the 'Irish Girls', especially 237, which from your previous explanations, must have been the bird I encountered on the Inis with the Taoiseach back in 1980.

• I assume the artist had Gazelle on his mind when making the badge

Comment

• zishelix, i am still to scan many of my photos, but please be going on with this for now;

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're the man!! Thanks a lot!

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                Anyone who happens upon any images of the remaining three Gazelles in attendance ..
                Another participant from the latest Weston-super-Mare event:

G-CBSK 'Ginger' (ZB627/A) with the crew.

Just two more to identify!

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Zis, great stuff!

• N48284
                  N48284 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  G-CBSK, G-ZZEL, G-CBSI and G-ZZLE as the display machine along with N901B

• SA341G D-HARI (cn. 1019) as seen at Marignane on 28th August 1972 (Photo: Airbus Archives)

This is the same craft Zis showcased flying offshore in Panama in the 1980's. She eventually went onto the French register to become F-GETS.

Click here for a small sample of Gazelle stories and images on Aviafora.

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not aware s/n 1019 was Aerospatiale's demo machine. It was delivered to the customer (Haribo Company) shortly after rolled out of the production line in 1972.

Long time ago I obtained one b/w photo of D-HARI, but the negative itself was so badly infected with fungus and I could't drag out a better scan

• Rotorspot
                  Rotorspot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not convinced she was ever owned by Haribo (although the registration might suggest that).

According to HeliOnline she was owned by LTD - Luft Transport Dienst F. Stetzler from Feb-1973.
                  She was noticed 18/02/1981 at Hurghada Int'l Airport in Egypt, 03/11/1980 at MV Ben Ocean Typhoon/Offshore-Helipad in Panama, 23/10/1980 at DB-7/Offshore-Helipad in Mexico, 23/10/1980 at MV Maersk Endurer/Offshore-Helipad in Singapore,19/08/1980 at Cairo Int'l Airport in Egypt.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't know but the fact is D-HARI had 'HARIBO Bonn – Bad Godesberg – Speyer – Mainbernheim – Kopenhagen – Breda - Marseille' lettering on the rear part of the fuselage and tail boom. Pity my b/w image is so poor, I believe the lettering is there.

Let's hope some of our friends from Germany would help us to solve this 'mystery'

• SA341G(S) N901B (1410) as seen at Breighton on 11th June 2017 (Photo: Jez)

SA341B XZ301 (WA1528) as seen in Münster Germany in the 70's

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
                  I am not convinced she was ever owned by Haribo (although the registration might suggest that).

According to HeliOnline she was owned by LTD - Luft Transport Dienst F. Stetzler from Feb-1973.
                  She was noticed 18/02/1981 at Hurghada Int'l Airport in Egypt, 03/11/1980 at MV Ben Ocean Typhoon/Offshore-Helipad in Panama, 23/10/1980 at DB-7/Offshore-Helipad in Mexico, 23/10/1980 at MV Maersk Endurer/Offshore-Helipad in Singapore,19/08/1980 at Cairo Int'l Airport in Egypt.
                  That's interesting as I bought two Gazelles from Hurghada and with them came several panels and fairings from a different helicopter which was evidently red and white!

The photo you have of HARI doesn't show the aircraft having a boot, and which normally indicates an ex-military machine, but there has been at least one Gazelle manufactured for the civil market without a boot (1301).

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah Stefano .. you've bought Gazelles from Egypt .. LOL !! .. as I say, you will travel to the ends of the earth to find a Gaz!

I am still trying to discover how many Gazelles were assembled by ABHCO, plus does anyone know how many Gazelles remain in Egypt?

Regarding D-HARI, Hans Riegel co-owner of the German sweets giant Haribo, was a known helicopter enthusiast and flyer. But how did HARI end up in Egypt? And what an interesting career she had, being one of only a handful Gazelles to have been employed in flying to rigs offshore.

• Fene Strong
                    Fene Strong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe there are 66 military Gazelle's in Egypt, but not flying a lot as they averaged 100 flying hrs per frame in 2016.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grazie FS!

Clearly no daily patrols of the Sinai Peninsula or the Libyan and Sudanese borders!

• Haribo Gaz

Zishelix wrote: D-HARI had HARIBO lettering on the rear part of the fuselage and tailboom.
                  If you look at some of Hans Riegel's other helicopters you will see (at least from the 70's and early 80's) that there is some similarity in colour schemes with those of D-HARI from her pre-delivery shot (below).

D-HARI seen pre-delivery at Marignane in 1972

One of Hans' first 109's c. 1979

Agusta 109A D-HABO (cn. 7168) as seen at Battersea heliport in 1980 (Photo: Matthias Jelinek)

Hans Riegel repeatedly used D-HANS, D-HARI, D-HABO (and several other registrations) on his many helicopters over the years.

Weston Fly In

N48284 wrote: G-CBSK, G-ZZEL, G-CBSI and G-ZZLE as the display machine along with N901B.
                  Grazie Andy.

We're getting there, slowly. Herewith G-CBSI. Only looking for a shot of 901 now.

SA341D G-CBSI XZ934 (WA1736) as seen at Weston-super-Mare on 17th June 2017 (Photo: Steve CM)

Comment

• Avia Ads ..........

Comment

• Originally posted by N48284 View Post
                      G-CBSK, G-ZZEL, G-CBSI and G-ZZLE as the display machine along with N901B
                      I think you may have that wrong !!!! It should be ..

N901B ALONG WITH G-CBSK, G-ZZEL, G-CBSI and G-ZZLE as the display machine.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol, nice one Stefano!

As yet we still don't have a shot of 901 from this event, but I am sure one will come along soon.

• History of SA341G D-HARI, c/n 1019

Here follows an extract of what I received from Peter-Michael Gerhardt, renown for his knowledge of German aviation, and reproduced here with his kind permission:
                      • 26-Aug-1972 handed-over to delivery customer at Marignane
                      • Feb-1973 Registered to Haribo Lakritzen Hans Riegel, Bonn-Jakobsberg
                      • Mar-1980 Registered to LTD-Helicopters Lufttransport-Dienst GmbH & Co KG, Baden-Baden
                      • Jul-1983 Registered to Mrs. Ina von König, Bonstetten (operator unknown)
                      • 25-Jan-1985 Cancelled and sold abroad
                      • 06-Feb-1985 Registered as F-GETS to MTS Helicoptères, Annecy

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done Jos! Much appreciate your efforts to gather all this info regarding c/n 1019's service history.

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, fantastic Jos! Thanks also to your friend Peter-Michael.

This does of course throw-up the question as to who Ina von König was?

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sav, I'm sure you're able to tell us some more about Frau König, after all 'royal issues' are your domain

However, I'm more interested to find out for which Gazelle belonged those red-white panels and fairings Steve found at Hurgada. As far as I know, D-HARI was repainted when become F-GETS.

• One additional point. It turns out that this Gazelle was repainted in a black/yellow scheme with MTS logo before going to France, apparently while being owned by Frau van König. I have no idea about the colours of F-GETS, but there may be a relationship.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry, no better photo at the moment.

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                      However, I'm more interested to find out for which Gazelle belonged those red-white panels and fairings Steve found at Hurgada. As far as I know, D-HARI was repainted when become F-GETS.
                      After some checking I recon it was ex D-HAIR. It had a vertical stab with what I think is the German flag on it.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Like this one?

I assume the ID plate is missing on the part so it's hard to confirm the specific vertical stab belonged to s/n 1019. Although I have no info about damages D-HAIR might suffer during early 1980s, it's possible she got new tail fin(s) while operated in Egypt.

• More 901 ..

Still scouting for a shot of 901 at Weston, but in the meantime:

SA341G(S) N901B (cn. 1410) as seen at Breighton Airfield on 1st July 2017 (Photo: David Marshall)

Comment

Working...
                      X