No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander to Base: "Section inserted, island secured and perimeter under guard. Request confirmation of coordinates, as initial indications are that this may not be the enemy stronghold!"

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this may have been when l'armée de Terre agreed to participate in la Chasse aux Trésors on Poisson d’Avril!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
    Like this one?

I assume the ID plate is missing on the part so it's hard to confirm the specific vertical stab belonged to s/n 1019. Although I have no info about damages D-HAIR might suffer during early 1980s, it's possible she got new tail fin(s) while operated in Egypt.
    Yes, those colours, but the whole stabiliser had the colours of the flag similar to D-HARI.

Even if the ID plate of the stabiliser was on (which it was) there's no way you could tie that to the airframe, as most airframe parts don't have a serial no. on them and if they did it would be near impossible to tie a serial no. component to a airframe serial no. without the original build paperwork.

On certain airframe panels and fairings it's practice to write the serial no. or reg no. on the rear, but that is only to identify it in in the hangar.

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Excuse my ignorance but isn't airframe S/N data engraved on the plates positioned under instrument panel and tail stabilisers?

• xbdt
      xbdt commented
      Editing a comment
      No, only part number and serial no of part number. You'll need to have the original Aerospatiale white technical log book from the gaz and check the left and right tail fin s/n when it left the factory.

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah so, thanks for explanation.

• SA342J F-GEST (cn: 1113) as seen in Albertville, France, date unknown (Photo: Christophe Gothié)

Go to original post.

Click here for a different selection of Aviafora's Gaz images.

Comment

• Well, it is time to announce a new Gazelle for today!

SA342J s/n 1695

The empty weight is 2332 LBS or 1057 kg and flies like a BOMB!

That's too wild!

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Bravo, bravo and bravo XB, too wild indeed! This is fantastic news, well done amico!

Glad to see you making use of the Guernsey register. The area has a historical association with the Gazelle through neighbouring Brecqhou Island which was home to a Gazelle for about a decade commencing in 1974; but yours is the first Gaz on Guernsey's newly established aircraft register!

Are you able to say whether this aircraft will remain in Belgium or the surrounding area, or whether she is destined elsewhere?

Also can you say something about the handling qualities when flying the 342 when compared with the 341, for example how noticeable is the additional power reserve?

Once again well done, I am sure you have done a stunning job in bringing her back to life!

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, what a news! Well done XB!

• xbdt
        xbdt commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you guys, will post an update in a week or so.

• 2-WILD looks stunning Xavier. Thanks very much for allowing me to pay you a visit on Wednesday.

David

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome aboard, David! Always pleasure to meet a Gaz enthusiast

• Dear David

A warm welcome to Aviafora!

Sav

Comment

• A chance conversation with someone at Wevelgem Aiport on Wednesday resulted in me being given Xavier's contact details. A quick phone call and a 50 minute drive later I got to meet the Gazelle legend and to have a look in his workshops. Machines present were:
        REG MODEL CON NO
        2-WILD Aerospatiale SA.342J Gazelle 1695
        N341AS Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle 1042
        N341DT Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle 1110
        N700SH Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle 1154
        OO-153 Rotorway A600 Talon 8040
        Unreg'd Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle 1076
        2-WILD was still pending registration at the time.

1076 was formally registered in Brazil but according to Xavier hasn't flown for 20+ years.

Xavier also has 3 other Gazelles that he uses as donor airframes.

David

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Great stuff Davide, grazie!

• G-CTFS

SA341C G-CTFS (WA1081) as seen at an undisclsed location on 8th July 2017

Comment

• Memories from Baldonnel

241 at Baldonnel (I can't recall the date)

241 at Baldonnel on 23 May 2006

241 at Baldonnel on 14 February 2006. Someone was trying to be funny and had placed this 'For Scrap' notice on the cab, and which I immediately tore down, thankfully before Steve could see it .. till now!

This is me in 237

It makes me sad just to post this. This was 237 immediately following her accident on 16 August 2002.

regards to all aviaforans

joe

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Bravo Joe! This is a welcome contribution indeed, and we very much appreciate your reminiscences from your Air Corps days. Grazie mille.

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Great stuff Joe, as always! Aviafora become reference website for Gazelle enthusiasts because of you as well Much apreciate your contribution!
            Last edited by Zishelix; 10th July 2017, 12:55.

• Return to Flight of cn. 1695

De Tracy Hélicoptères have announced the return to flight of cn. 1695, an SA342J formerly registered as D-HOPP and operated by Polizei Niedersachsen. The aircraft has now been registered as 2-WILD.

As well as being the most recent Gazelle to be returned to flight, 2-WILD is also the first Gazelle to be registered with the Guernsey Directorate of Civil Aviation.

Aviafora congratulates De Tracy Hélicoptères on the completion of this project and which follows their successful roll-out of the 'stunning' N341GG in February.

Comment

• In celebration of the return to flight of cn. 1695, a little look at D-HOPP during her time with Polizei Niedersachsen:

SA342J D-HOPP (cn 1695) as seen at RAF Gütersloh in March 1982 (Photo: Jeff Bell)

SA342J D-HOPP (cn 1695) NFI

SA342J D-HOPP (cn 1695) NFI

SA342M GAO as seen at Phalsbourg Air Base on 2nd July 2017 (Photo: Graham)

Seen fitted with Aérospatiale's useful fuselage-mounted hoist.

A pair of Gaz Squad Gazelles at Blackbushe Airport on 1-2 July 2017

Comment

• A 'Jaguar' ZU-RLH as seen at Kishugu Lowveld Air Show in May 16th, 2017 (Photo: Petri Viljoen)

Comment

• Re-registered Gazelle

N9334W, SA341F2, c/n 1575, ex N2TW; owner Ross Transportation Inc, Whitefish (Montana).

Also see message at http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=7683#post7683

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Jos!

Btw, will 2-WILD be added to Rotorspot's Channel Islands listing?

• Rotorspot
                  Rotorspot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, she will be added. The next upload of the database to the website is planned for July 31st.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Okay, great stuff!

• Syrian Air Force SA342 as seen at Kuweires Airbase (situated some 30kms east of Aleppo) in July 2017

This is a 'Gaz Snap' shot to match Zis's Jaguar sponsored ZU-RLH above, and to raise him with another camo-painted civvie Gaz!

SA341H's HA-LFO and LFX as seen at Prestige Heliport in Budapest, Hungary, on 29th July 2012 (Photo: Ferenc Hamori)

SA341G N2FW (1363) as seen at Van Nuys Airport in California in 2017

~ ~ ~

Zis, in the photo of D-HOPP (further above) in the shot taken from beneath, did you notice that the loudspeakers appear to be countersunk into the bottom of the fuselage?

Comment

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, these were countersunk loudspeakers. I replaced that panel with a standard one on 1695. I still have this panel with the large holes. If you want I'll take a picture of it.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do, maybe they wanted to 'clean' the skids in flight
                  http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=3570#post3570

XB, thanks in advance for the pic!

• SA341D G-CBSI (WA1736) as seen at Bourne Park on 5th March 2017

SA341D G-VOIP (WA1792) as seen at Booker on 3rd June 2017 (Photo: Brian Nichols)

Comment

• Toho Air Service SA341G JA9098 (cn 1012) in Japan

Go to original post.

Comment

• YU-HEA

SA342L1 YU-HEA (118) as seen in Belgrade on 18th September 2016 (Photo: Srdjan Radosavljevic)

Operated by the Serbian Ministry of Internal Affairs.

Comment

• SA342M Viviane 3911/GAP as seen at Phalsbourg-Bourscheid Air Base in France on 2nd July 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                        Remembering Nigel

Nigel with HA-PPC at Birmingham Airport on 4th September 2012

RIP

It was a year ago today that Aviaforan Nigel suffered an accident in his Alouette II. Tragically, some days later, he was to succumb to his injuries.

Let us not forget that there are still those (although dwindling in number) for whom the aviation community represents a fraternity in which loyalty and camaraderie (which is to say care and concern) transcend all else, for it is with this mindset that we remember Nigel while praying for God's continuing comfort towards his family and friends.

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Calm blue sky, Nigel.

• md600driver
                          md600driver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sadly missed.

On a plus note we raised a lot of money for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance over the weekend.

The accident report is out now full of glaring errors and misinformation after a year of investigation you think they could have got it correct!

• Gazelle Cancelled

N2LN, SA341G, c/n 1310, was cancelled from the US registry on 12-Jul-2017, with last activity date given as 09-Jan-2007.

This helicopter was involved in an accident on 20-Feb-2000 while owned by Ag Copters Sales: collided with a fence while approaching a field, the main rotor blades contacted the ground and helicopter rolled over.

See https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=154540

Months after the mishap, on 07-Sep-2000, she received a (new) certificate with owner MGB LLC.

I would like to learn whether she has ever flown after the accident.

Comment

• md600driver
                          md600driver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That one is quite easy to explain. The FAA registration system requires you to re-register your aircraft after a period of time. It's a paperwork exercise, but if not carried-out and if you let it lapse, it's can be very difficult and expensive to do later.

It is not a airworthiness issue as the airframe does not have to be airworthy to re-register.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There seem to be a number of Gazelles with short registrations commencing 'N2'.

You've just mentioned N2LN and last week you reported that N2TW has recently been bought by Ross Transportation.

I also posted a fairly recent shot of N2FW in California.

All we need now is a N2GZ!

• md600driver wrote: On a plus note we raised a lot of money for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance over the weekend.
                        Bravo Stefano!

md600driver wrote: The accident report is out now full of glaring errors and misinformation after a year of investigation you think they could have got it correct!
                        This is somewhat disappointing to hear. The UK's AAIB used to have a pretty good reputation but, as with almost everything in Europe, standards seem to be slipping and there doesn't seem to be much in place to arrest the descent.

L'armée de terre SA342 'GEA' deprting Aéroport de Dijon

By the sound of it, this bird seems to have some blade tape coming loose.

Comment

There seem to be a number of Gazelles with short registrations commencing 'N2'.

You've just mentioned N2LN and last week you reported that N2TW has recently been bought by Ross Transportation.

I also posted a fairly recent shot of N2FW in California.

All we need now is a N2GZ!
                          I can remember test flying N2TV in the States prior to it coming to the UK, and also later on the G reg, then YU reg, and finally on the HA reg.

Comment

But, you've kept very quiet about this, as we've posted N2TV previously on the thread!
                          It may be quicker for me to tell you the ones I've not been in!

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ha ha, love it!

• SA341C ZU-HBH (WA1418) as seen at Wonderboom Airport in South Africa on 10th June 2017 (Photo: Garth Calitz)

Notice the similar profile between HBH (above) and Montenegro's 12752 in this photo.

Check out Alouettes & Lamas for a shot of an Alouette from the same event fitted with a bike rack.

Comment

• Gazzella Bianca

SA341F 'AFD' (1562) as seen in Compiègne, France on 26th June 1994 (Photo: S. Bullimore)

SA341G(S) G-CDJT (1509) as seen at Stapleford Aerodrome on 29th January 2006 (Photo: RotorImage)

Someone forgot to wash their tail!

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              SA341F 1562 was part of UNPROFOR (United Nations Protection Force) in Croatia and Bosnia during 1993/94.

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie Zis. Perhaps you even saw this craft!

• SA341G(S) F-GBMC (cn WA1065) as seen at Aéroport d'Annecy in 1980 (Photo: Anton Heumann )

One of the few (perhaps only) stretched Westland Gazelle/s and one of the first civilian Gazelles to be painted in 'camo style'.

Go to original post.

Comment

• N1198G

SA341F2 N1198G (1198) as seen at LO Simenstad Municipal Airport, Wisconsin on 10th September 2016 (Photo: Jeremy Dando)

Comment

• Looking to get a range of Gazelle tee shirts made!

Has anyone any artwork they would like to see on a shirt?

Needs to be fully vectored A1 files not normal photos combined into A1 (not that I know what that means).

So let's have a competition with the winner getting a free tee shirt and allowing a print runs of tee shirts with all profits to the air ambulance in NIGEL's memory who sadly Left us on 25 July 2016.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                  Helipixman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Great idea Md600driver

Had to admit though I didnt know what an A1 file was either then I remembered that an Ai file is a vectored file but only usable through Adobe Illustrator. Just wonder how many people have the use of Adobe Illustrator. I personally do everything via Adobe photoshop and can save files as eps which is another version of a vector. Other than that, I tend to draw freehand and then scan.

Helipixman

• Zishelix
                                  Zishelix commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Excellent idea! I'll gladly join the competition with a few T-shirt proposals

• More YU-HEA

SA342L1 YU-HEA (118) NFI

BAG

SA341B XZ313 (WA1582) as seen at AAC Middle Wallop o16th July 2010 (Photo: Mark van der Vliet)

Fene Strong, do you happen to know whether this craft is still in active service?

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I believe 313 is in Durham and going to be overhauled back to flying condition.

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Grazie FS. Btw, does the AAC simply store those craft taken out of service until they are disposed of, or do they use them for spares?

Very interesting news Stefano, and nice to know that this bird will be restored to flight!

• Fene Strong
                                  Fene Strong commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Some aircraft are stored as back up and some others have major components remove and overhauled for spare parts, the airframes are then disposed of, but generally not used as Christmas trees.

• Let us put aside the design format for now and concentrate instead on some concepts in terms of images and words, anyone who is able, please chip in!

I will 'throw' something together, but given that this is for a good cause it would be nice to have some additional contributions, Zis .. Elipix .. others?

Stefano, on one of the occasions when you gift the YAA with a cheque, would you be able to arrange to visit the YAA base with one of the Crabtree Gazelles for the purpose of handing over the cheque, and of course to take a photo of the event.
                                This would be much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X