No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some possible inscriptions for the T-shirt...

Comments welcome.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Some nice slogans there Zis!

• Crabtree T-Shirts

A couple of initial ideas:

I still haven't flown the Gaz, so I am having to take it on faith that the Gaz will in fact make you happy when you fly it. But, based on everything I've heard, I don't think I'm too far off track!

Comment

• Here is my first attempt for the Crabtree competition.......

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, this is excellent Elipix!

• Le Musée de L’aviation de Warluis in northern France saw the return of its Gazelle, an SA341F cn. 1117 a while back (I think 2015) after having been refurbished.

This was former armée de terre bird flying as 'BGJ' and was prevously kept outside the museum, see here, but is now housed inside.

Le Musée de L’aviation de Warluis is located approx. 80kms north of Paris.

http://museedelaviation-warluis.com/

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, one more preserved Gazelle airframe. Well done guys in Warluis!

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, they've done a good job. Do you happen to know which markings they have painted her in? Is is L'armée de Terre's desert camo scheme?

• A couple more Crabtree T-Shirt designs ..

Reverse side ..

Comment

• Here's my two cents for the competition.

Of course, it's possible to make variations of the applications in terms of their size, position on the shirt, colour etc.

Comment

• Here's another variation for T shirt

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, lovely Elipix!

• SA341B XZ304 (WA1542)

I have been unable to discover anything about this aircraft, no operating history, no details of where she operated from and no indication of what happened to her.

The photo (also with no details) appears to show a US Army Huey in the background, so I am thinking this could be Germany, probably in the 70's or 80's given 304's dark green/black camo finish.

Note the cargo hook and ground handling wheels bolted onto the rear skid vertical tubes as we have seen previously on some army Gazelles.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            As far as I know, XZ304 was withdrawn from military service (spent most of the service time with 664 Sqdn & 6 Flight (V) during 2009, then sold to MW Helicopters Ltd. in 2012. No info since then, probably dismantled for spare parts.

• Another Design ..

Comment

• The shirts so far:

Stefano, XB, Fene Strong .. we need your assistance as adjudicators to give us some feedback regarding these designs. Any favourites, any ideas, any slogans, any improvements you can suggest?

All ideas welcome!

Comment

• For XB ..

Since we are speaking of Gazelles and Ferraris, could you please say something about the difference in performance between flying the 341 and the 342. Is the availability of additional power slightly noticeable, fairly noticeable or very noticeable?

Grazie!

Comment

• xbdt
              xbdt commented
              Editing a comment
              Advantage of 342 compared to 341 (in my opinion):
              - it has some standard things that can also be integrated onto a 341 of course: upgraded fenestron and better main servos with accumulators, better instrument panel with all warning lights in one location.
              - T4 temp runs lower as the engine is 870 HP and you are torque limited to 600 HP.
              - Faster cruise speed (I think this is due to MRRPM is 387 RPM instead of the 378 RPM on the 341).

At sea level (or up to 2000 ft AMSL) there is no need for a 342 as it burns more fuel for the same result.
              The 342 has been designed for hot, humid and high environments.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie XB much appreciated. Hopefully you will be able to take 2-WILD into the Alps one time and tell us all about it!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
            As far as I know, XZ304 was withdrawn from military service (spent most of the service time with 664 Sqdn & 6 Flight (V) during 2009, then sold to MW Helicopters Ltd. in 2012. No info since then, probably dismantled for spare parts.
            I don't think that this is so. 304 was part of the batch of 30 Gazelles sold by the UK MoD to a South African company, not MW.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Steve for the tip! I shall up-date my records accordingly!

• SA341G N700SH (1154) as seen at Ursel Air Base in Belgium on 23rd June 2017 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

SA342 'GET' (2225) during minigun firing exercise

SA342 'GET' (2225) during minigun firing exercise

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              One of previous attempts to arm Gazelle with Minigun

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, quite a contraption! Interesting to see a landing if the things fails to retract.

This minigun is of course what they should fit to the anti-poaching birds.

• And one of my personal favourites ..

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Cough .. yes well .. partially accepted, although I claim forum owner's prerogative!

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree but you'd must know some of us here are quite sensitive

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              So I see! Btw, did you know that there is a 'connection' between the Agusta 109 and the Gazelle?

• Unidentified Gaz

The photographer states that this was taken at the Brooklands museum. Perhaps just visiting as I don't think there is a Gaz on display there.

Unfortunately her registration is covered-up.

SA341B as seen at Brooklands Museum in 2011 (Photo: Ashley Middleton)

Comment

• A couple more designs

Helipixman

Comment

• Last one for now

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Some excellent ideas for T-shirt decoration Well done, Helipix!

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha, brilliant stuff Elipix, all really creative. I especially like the 'Carlsberg' design!

• Fene Strong
                Fene Strong commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice work, like the evolution one, maybe put an Alouette in place of the 'R' or nothing

• Gama Aviation Signs Parts Supply Contract for British Army Gazelle Fleet

Fairoaks, July 17, 2017. Gama Aviation is pleased to announce the agreement of an avionics parts supply contract for the British Army’s AH-1 Gazelle fleet.

The new contract award, won after a competitive tender process, comes after the successful completion of a previous contract to design and certify significant avionics upgrades for the helicopter.

On installation, the upgrade is designed to enhance safety and improve aircraft capability for the British Army, with the new cockpit being fully NVG compatible. The use of the Garmin GTS800 TAS system within the cockpit was a first for a UK military platform; having been approved after an extensive test program.

Scott Mc Vicar, Managing Director, MD Ground, UK, commented: “We are delighted to announce this new contract win. The win extends our relationship with the Ministry of Defence as well as completing a further phase of this important upgrade project.”
              http://www.gamaaviation.com/parts-supply-gazelle-ah-1/

Comment

• More BAG's ..

SA341B ZA771 (WA1813) as seen at RAF Cosford on 5th October 2012 (Photo: Graham Tiller)

This seems to be a slightly confused Gazelle, in that she is an army bird wearing an RAF sticker!

FS, are all Army helicopter engineers trained at Cosford, or are there other sites also? I read somewhere that staff were going to be trained in Wales?

Comment

• Fene Strong
                  Fene Strong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As far as i know they are trained at Lyneham by Babcock.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie FS!

• Here is another version this time with an Alouette.... good idea Fenestrong

Comment

• N341AS (1042) as seen at the Air Traffic Control Centre in Semmerzake, Belgium on 23rd June 2017 (Photo: Tom Buysse)

Comment

• More BAG's ..

Seeing as Zis recently identified an Army training fuselage and that FS mentioned Lyneham ..

SA341B XW912 (WA1231) TAD019 as seen in the DSEME Hangar at MoD Lyneham in July 2017 (Photo: Phil Adkin)

Prior to becoming a training frame, this bird evidently flew with the Royal Marines as part of 3CBAS.

Seen wearing 'classic' AAC colours.

1984 Miller Ad

Nice Scale Vario in Germany

Classic Mil Gaz

Gaz, Scout and Wes in NI.

Scouts and Gazelles and a RAF Wessex as seen at Bessbrook Mill, South Armagh, Northern Ireland c.1970 (Photo: Ian McClure)

Rus Gaz

SA341 RA0682G seen with 'another' in Rusland

Anja in Italia!
                    Gazelle driver Anja is currently in Italy!

Anja in Lido di Jesolo, Venice

Anja with 12690

Comment

• 1384 Change of Registered Owner

On 26-Jul-2017 N497MM SA341F2, c/n 1384, changed registered ownership from THEODORE R WRIGHT ENTERPRISES INC to MICHAEL W CAMPBELL.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie Jos!

• SA341G(S) N901B (cn. 1410) as seen at Raithwaite Estate, Whitby, North Yorkshire on 23rd July 2017 (Photo: Stefano)

Comment

• Tiger Meet Gazelle Schemes in Recent Years

Tiger Meet 2017

GAX Arrives in Mali

SA342M GAX arriving in Mali on 28th July 2017

Comment

• Can't seem to post pictures keeps saying invalid file, although in correct format?

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Please post the URL link to your image and let me take a look if there is an issue.

• Fene Strong
                            Fene Strong commented
                            Editing a comment
                            At last, had to ask a young un....

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ah yes FS, pretty much standard procedure for anyone over the age of 30.

• SA341B XX390 (WA1298) as seen in 1977 NFI

Comment

• Bessbrooke early 80's, always hoped you ended up on the grass slot below as you had a bit of cover.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bravo FS!

Always great to get some cover. The US Army used to build revetments between their aircraft (in vulnerable locations).

Forkhill Base in South Armagh also seems to have had a pretty good fence around it, although none of these are much use against RPG's.

• Gazelles Being Tabled as Possible Solution for Afghan Air Force

Former Blackwater CEO Erik Prince has submitted a proposal to the Afghan government offering to establish a 'composite air wing' to support Afghanistan's fledgling air force.

Prince's proposal comes as the US considers plans to draw down their involvement in Afghanistan and most likely be replaced with private contractors.

The proposed air wing would make use of types including the A4 Skyhawk, Lasa T-Bird and Aérospatiale Gazelle.
                            https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...ate-air-force/

Comment

• MoD Lyneham

SA341C XW860 (WA1100) TAD021 as seen at DSEME MoD Lyneham in July 2017 (Photo: Phil Adkin)

Comment

Working...
                              X