Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341G ZU-RLU (1097) as seen recently in South Africa NFI

SA342J(S) N624EL (cn 1094) as seen at Issy-les-Moulineaux date unknown (Damien Fournier)

Unknown Gazelle

If anyone can assist in identifying the above Gaz, that would be great!

Comment

• Wondering if anyone knows serials of those two SA342M that crashed recently near Brignoles, Cote d'Azur as well as those one lost in previous month NE of Abidjan, Ivory Coast?

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        I put in a request to EALAT, but have yet to receive a response.

The 2nd February was a bad day for Aérospatiale types, for on the same day an Alouette II perished (thankfully without loss of life) while spraying in the Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire): https://www.connectionivoirienne.net...h-dhelicoptere

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Hopefully you'll get reply from the EALAT.

• The Helicopter Service of the Republic of Srpska involved in training exercises with the Srpska Ministry of Interior on 7th February 2018

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Guys from the Helicopter Service are professionals putting a great deal of passion in their job. I've had privilege to witness that.

• Montenegrin Air Force 'Gazela' Patch

Comment

• Gazelles flying over snowy terrain... it has everything Sav likes to see in a photo!

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Bravo Zis, lovely shot!

• One more nice photo of 3862/GAL from Northolt AB (Photo: John Higgins)

Comment

• SA341F2 ZU-HHP (cn.1597) in South Africa

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent flying skills, beautiful scenery, Gazelle... a recipe for fun

• AAC's ZA737 WA1806 (unknown date and location)

Since 2006 preserved in Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop, Hampshire

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark Woolley, who together with his late father Bob Woolley worked for Airwork, has confirmed that the location of ZA737 is Bournemouth Hurn Airport and suggests that the photo was probably taken in the early 90's.

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Such a suitable image, thanks Sav!

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Prego Zis!

• WA1033 take off from Yeovilton in April 2011 (Photo: Martin Craig)

G-SWWM became G-IBNH in December 2011.

Comment

• Moroccan SA342L s/n 1985 at Marrakesh Airshow 2014 (Photo: Peter Steehouwer)

Comment

• Vintage Go Gazelle Westland Helicopters Ltd clear resin desk paperweight

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              A nice item of Gaz memorabilia!

• I came across these two pics but no further details except 'Helicopter down on Long Beach'

Anyone able to shed more light on this accident?

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              I also came across these some years back and will look to see if I made any notes about them. Failing that, then I can drop a line to Warty and see whether he may know something.

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              If you look closely on the tail there appears to be a large W. Having said that I have details of at least 5+ Gazelles wearing the code W..... Have checked my records and nothing shows for any accident or forced landing for any of them though.

Might help narrow it down.

Helipximan

• Slovenian Gaz

Soko SA341H SL-HAA (cn.028) presumably in Slovenia NFI

Comment

• SA341G N341DT (cn.1110) as seen at Kortrijk-Wevelgem Airport on 16th February 2018 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

'DT' looking clean and tidy there XB!

Comment

• SA341G ZU-RLU (cn.1097) as seen at Port Elizabeth Airport on 18th February 2018 (Photo: Austin Ferreira)

Elsewhere on Shrieking Gazelles

Check out Nosco's comments on G-SFTH here.

Comment

• SA341B ZA771 (WA1813) as seen in Wiltz, Luxembourg in July 1987 (Photo: Paul Schaller)

Comment

• Fene Strong
                    Fene Strong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Down as out of service in 2007, not sure where she is now.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Okay, grazie FS!

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    According to some records I have, ZA771 was still active up until it went into store at RAF Shawbury 27.3.07, then departed by road 7.1.09 to DCAE, Cosford and was last noted on 30.3.16 in Building 143 Avionics Training flight at DSAE (Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering), Cosford so probably still there.

Helipixman

• G-BAGJ over London back in the 1970's

G-BAGJ in colour here and here.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is a lovely shot Zis and a welcome addition to both the BAGJ and 'Gazelles over London' collections.

Aside from Gazelles in snow, 1970's civilian Gazelles are undoubtedly my favourite.

London indeed. The Post Office Tower just for'ard of BAGJ's starboard stabiliser and the spire of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square, just visible in the lower right corner of this shot. This places BAGJ between Hungerford (Charing Cross) Bridge and Westminster Bridge heading towards Battersea. Flew that route so many times in the 70's.

• Great shot Zis

Reminds me of my trip in G-BAGJ from Battersea Heliport out through the heli lanes via Northolt and Northwood to Leavesden in 1974. Operator was Point to Point.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ciao Elipix!

From previous posts I seem to remember that this may have been your first helicopter flight? If so, do you recall your initial impressions about flying in a helicopter? Had you previously flown in a fixed-wing, and if so, was there any significant difference for you or anything which specifically endeared you to helicopters compared with fixed-wing, or do you enjoy them both the same?

I am always interested to hear about people's initial flying experiences, so if anyone else wishes to share their first flying experiences (fixed-wing and/or rotary) please feel free to contribute.

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes this was my first flight in a heli and great it was... got me hooked. Prior to that I flew mainly on holiday flights with family, again great times Comets of Dan Dare and lots of 1-11s etc. My first fixed wing was 1.1.75 a Piper Comanche and again I was hooked and went on to get my fixed wing PPL. At that time it was cheaper and easier at my local airfield Elstree to do fixed wing. When I moved to Scotland I worked as crew for a couple of helicopter companies and the feeling of a vertical take off and acceleration never leaves you its just magic. Just being able to land off airfield is also pure magic.

I owe my passion in aviation to my late father, Arsenal and Wales goalkeeper Jack Kelsey. He flew all over the world and I spent many hours at airports with family dropping him off or picking him up. He loved aviation also and loved flying in something different particularly an airship flight from Radlett over Central London.

• One more for Sav's Gazelle Snow Collection

WA1734 G-CBJZ at Sion Switzerland in January 16th, 2011 (Photo: Markus Herzig)

Another one nice photos of the same bird here and here.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice Zis!

I think this may be the first Gaz I see with bear paws.

• More SAG's ..

RU-RNO 'somewhere' in South Africa on 8th February 2018

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent Sav! I think you find answer on your question about ID of the machine http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=8862#post8862

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done Zis. You are most capable when it comes to identifying these unknown birds, bravo!

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks but frankly I'm far of being such expert

• More Snow Gaz ..

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen in Abkhazia in 2017

Here is another Gaz fitted with bear paws, and probably the only Gaz with a ski basket.

Comment

• Check out the latest on Gazelles for Sale.

G-VOIP manoeuvering at Castellón Airport in the east of Spain

Notice how keen the Gaz is to comply with the left pedal command. Like a bronco waiting to be let loose from its stall at a rodeo!

Go to original post.

Plus ..

A bonus video of G-OLDH at Stapleford in 2011:

Comment

• SA341D G-CBSI (ex-XZ934) (WA1736) as seen at Cromer Northrepps Aerodrome on 17th February 2018 (Photo: Jayson Cork)

Comment

• Seeing as you posted 'Sierra-India', a lovely photo taken over Cornwall's Mounts Bay on July 31st, 2015 (Photo: Peter Mitrovitch)

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, its a nice shot indeed Zis!

• Elipix wrote: Yes this was my first flight in a heli and great it was... got me hooked. Prior to that I flew mainly on holiday flights with family, again great times Comets of Dan Dare and lots of 1-11s etc. My first fixed wing was 1.1.75 a Piper Comanche and again I was hooked and went on to get my fixed wing PPL. At that time it was cheaper and easier at my local airfield Elstree to do fixed wing. When I moved to Scotland I worked as crew for a couple of helicopter companies and the feeling of a vertical take off and acceleration never leaves you its just magic. Just being able to land off airfield is also pure magic.

I owe my passion in aviation to my late father, Arsenal and Wales goalkeeper Jack Kelsey. He flew all over the world and I spent many hours at airports with family dropping him off or picking him up. He loved aviation also and loved flying in something different particularly an airship flight from Radlett over Central London.
                      Grazie Elipix for sharing this, much appreciated! Couldn't agree more concerning the joy of vertical flight and the acceleration experienced during normal take-offs (as opposed to that CAT A stuff they perform these days). The worst is seeing them performing a reversing CAT A (max performance) take-off from an airfield in pristine weather!

My first airline flights were in a Dan Air Comet (still have the photos, including a visit to the flight deck) followed shortly thereafter by flights in both Alitalia and Air France Caravelles. The Comet sure used to make some noise during the take-off run (both inside and out) all exciting stuff though!

The trusty Dan Air Comet

An Alitalia Caravelle

And seeing as your Dad had a hand in fostering your interest in aviation (from which I have benefited many times over the years) a wee tribute to him:

Arsenal goalkeeper Jack Kelsey (Papa Elipix) dives to save a shot during a game with Sheffield United c. 1950's

And on to today's Gaz ..

Here's a shot of G-BAGL, I suspect at the same location as a photo you posted of this craft in the same colours a while back, but seen here from a different angle:

SA341G G-BAGL (W1067) as seen at an unidentified location on 12th May 1984 (Photo: Robert Nichols)

Comment

• Lovely to see another pic of my father, that's when football was actually football. Still have one of his contracts (1950s) £25 a week plus appearance fees and on top of that attendance fees...amounted to a fair sum in those days.

I too visited the flight decks on all my early family flights. I have recently reached a land mark in my aviation passion. One hundred different types, the 100th being a Boeing 787-8. This has included Airliners, Light aircraft, Microlights, Hot air balloons and most importantly Helicopters.

Anyway back to Gazelles a recent elusive Gazelle is one that used to be based in Scotland G-OGAZ which is now N71FR... no sighting or photos so far wonder where it is ?

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great stuff Elipix, and congratulations on having flown in a hundred different types of aircraft!

I haven't yet travelled aboard the 787, but have been told that she's a fine bird to drive (one of my brothers is an airline jock) - although these days its mainly about systems management. Of course in the good ol' days 'real' pilots would sit outside braving the elements while their pax enjoyed the comforts of the cabin: https://alchetron.com/Handley-Page-Type-W

Regarding G-OGAZ, I think Stefano was involved with this craft and that he mentioned she had arrived in the BVI. Hopefully we will receive a photo of her on location.

• Les Félins

3/3 Squadron Les Félins SA342's in snow January 2018

Request to Gaz Owners

Seeing as much of Europe is being blessed with snow, this request goes out to those who are able to wheel-out their Gaz and capture a shot of their craft amidst the snow, for we are keen to top up our much-treasured 'Snow Gazelles' collection. Any contributions will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Legend under this photo: 'G-BBHW, G-BAZL and G-AYCM from left to right, at Glasgow Airport, Scotland in September 26th, 1975'. Photo: Hugh McMillan

Strange because I didn't know G-BAZL was painted overall black in those days.

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A lovely shot from the 70's!

BAZL does indeed seem to have worn a dark scheme in the mid-70's as I have her tail (with registration) captured in a similar photo.

Both BAZL and the JetRanger G-AYCM were registered to the House of Fraser at the time of this shot. The House of Fraser is a retail group which began in Glasgow in 1849 and was sold to the Chinese in 2014.

In 1959 Fraser's bought Harrod's department store, later selling it to the Fayed brothers in 1985.

Some of Fraser's better known retail outlets (for those who remember) included stores such as Army & Navy as well as Dickins & Jones.

• More Snow ..

ALAT SA342M 'BLD' as seen in the French Alps in 2009 (Photo: André Bour)

And More G-BBHW ..

In attempting to compliment Zis' shot of G-BBHW with an orange JetRanger, I offer the following:

SA341G G-BBHW (WA1098) NFI

Unfortunately I don't have any details on the date or location of the above shot. However, the additional aircraft place this at a similar time to Zis' shot in the post above, ie. the mid-70's. Visible are Ferranti's JetRanger G-AWJW and Dollar's G-BAKF. Also present is a Hughes 300 which I am unable to identify.

Comment

Working...
                          X