Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

Btw, do you like the engine cowlings on RLU?

Also, did the AAC ever fly their Gazelles with these removed, as I've seen this on several ALAT birds but can't remember seeing the same on any of the UK mil cabs?
    It’s not a problem doing flight tests without cowlings, but extended normal use without them may cause problems to the wiring, piping and connectors, even possibly extra wear on the engine mounts, all due to extra wind pressure. As it is, there are already issues with the wiring on many helicopters.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie Stefano! Agreed, there doesn't seem to be any fruitful reason for extended ops without the cowling.

French helicopters .. electrical systems .. problems .. really ??

• N150SF

SA341G(S) N150SF (cn.1584) as seen at Cheltenham Racecourse on 14th March 2018 (Photo by Mark)

Word is that the racecourse helipad had access to wifi, and that the gentleman seated in the back was browsing Aviafora!

This Gaz seems to be an annual visitor to Cheltenham.

Comment

• More Rus Gaz ..

SA341G RA-05706 (WA1802) as seen near St. Petersburg in March 2018

This craft (as with N150SF in the post above, and also Stefano's 901) has a painted perspex section above her battery compartment giving the nose something of a 'Colibri' appearance.

Comment

• Since we're on Russian Gazelles... Although we already have few pics of RA-05702 on the thread, it's a nice looking machine and posting one more won't be a problem

Photo taken at Voskresensk Airfield on June 10th, 2014 by Aleksandr Markin.

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's hope we'll enjoy in more Aleksandr's nice RA-regd Gazelles photos here!

• St.Patrick's Day on Shrieking Gazelles

Comment

• N71FR First Takes

Some of our members have been requesting views of 1274, former G-OGAZ now N71FR.

With thanks to Stefano we are now able to bring the first takes of 1FR from her new home in the British Virgin Islands:

SA341G(S) N71FR (cn.1274) in the British Virgin Islands, March 2018

Seen here being prepared for her first flight post-delivery.

N71FR landing for the very first time at her owner's home pad in the BVI, March 2018

(Apologies, but there is no sound to accompany the above video).

Sav's Tips: Coastal helipads are notoriously windy/gusty, and for which reason (and if at all possible) if one can design the helipad so as to take advantage of the prevailing winds (or as close as possible to the prevailing winds) so much the better.

I have experienced the advantages of this, and also seen the consequences of downwind landings during strong gusts, such as are typical around islands and in coastal areas. I would even go as far as to say that depending on circumstances, and if you are really facing a stonker of a breeze, you 'may' (again dependant on circumstances) be safer reversing or 'crabbing' onto your pad while remaining aligned (or as closely as possible aligned) to the wind. The obvious risk is that of reversing into what you cannot see, but taken slowly and with the assistance perhaps of someone looking out the pax door who is familiar with aircraft ops, it can be done. While it may sound crazy to some, it is actually safer than trying to execute an out-of-wind landing in strong winds.

Why not fly away? Yes, ideally, but this isn't always an option — in my case an island in the Pacific ocean possessing the only fuel for 100+nms.

The pad in the above video has plenty of approach access, and with it the all important 'escape routes', so God willing, he should be fine.

Also, for coastal operations .. regular compressor washes are highly recommended — your engine will love you!

Comment

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            Many thanks to Steve for a great addition to the photos .... N71FR

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks all who helped the first of many (I hope) N71FR photos show up on this thread!

• SA341H Soko E7-SHA (cn 046) during a test flight (possibly post-maintenance)

SA341B XW865 (cn WA1118) as seen at Middle Wallop in February 2018 (Photo: Sean McRandle)

This is an ex-BATUS cab apparently 'close to airframe hours' which has now be assigned 'light duties'. Seen here recently repainted in standard camo. Sean says that this craft is scheduled to be returned to BATUS at some point in the future.

That's a neat looking GPU.

Comment

• Fene Strong
            Fene Strong commented
            Editing a comment
            Airframe has a few thousand hours left yet if needed (circa 4.5k), 2.5k behind fleet leader.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie FS!

• "You can be sure gents that this new helicopter will fulfil your expectations and boost your business onto new levels!"

Vought Helicopter Co. salesman persuading potential buyers why to invest in a Gazelle back in 1974.

Comment

• SA341G N341GG (cn.1181) as seen in Belgium in March 2018 (Photo: Dominique Ghekiere)

Comment

• For Elipix ..

Remembering G-OGAZ

SA341G(S) G-OGAZ (cn.1274) as seen at Carnoustie Golf Links on 4th October 2009 (Photo: Mark McEwan)

Comment

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Always great to see shots of ex Scottish based Gazelles... will dig some more out over weekend.

Thanks Sav

• Serbian Air Force SA342L1 12890 (cn.134) as seen at Batajnica Airport, Belgrade, Serbia, 13 October 2016. Also present are a MiG-29 and a Mil-8/17

Comment

• More from Cheltenham ..

N150SF at Cheltenham on 13th March 2018 (Photo: Matt Sudol)

To see the previous shot of N150SF see here.

SA341H HA-LFK (cn.051) as seen (presumably) somewhere over Hungary in January 2018 (Photo: Andrey Korolenko)

An unidentified Gaz performing a photo sortie

Zis, note the similar dent in the rear door as that which appears on RA-1739G.

LLG (Low level Gaz)

While on the matter of videos, something a little 'weird' (but also welcome) in that when I posted the video of former G-OGAZ (now N71FR) there was no sound, I even made mention of this in the video notes and which I have now had to remove .. because suddenly .. the clip now has sound! Not quite sure how this happened or where it came from, but it is most welcome.

So if you would like to see this clip of 1FR making her first landing at her new Caribbean home (with sound) you can check it out here.

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'Zis, note the similar dent in the rear door as that which appears on RA-1739G.'

Just a glare I'd say. Definitely not 1739G (skid cowlings, antenna atop the cabin, seats color,...)

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like N2FW to me (ex C-GONG).
                  http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=7899#post7899

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha, bravo XB! Yes, N2FW, she's the one!

I had forgotten she was recently re-registered.

• SA341H 12617 (cn.009) as seen in the 1982 Yugoslav movie 'Daleko Nebo' (Far Heaven)

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'Daleko je nebo, moj Macura' A sentence from the movie when senior pilot says the cadet 'The sky is far away my fellow Macura' in attempt to discourage him after cadet's mother asked him to do so. She's frightened about son's wish to become a pilot because she already lost her husband (a military pilot, of course) in a jet plane crash. Needles to say she failed and youngster got his wings at the end of movie. Must say it was quite inspiring for an teenager who also had a dream to 'reach the sky' in a Gazelle, marked similarly as this one Ah, fond memories on youth days...

Thanks for reminder Sav, I need to look that movie once again.

• Early April Fools Day!

It's true, a Winged Gazelle fly again! Some say her name is 'Gazessna', some other call her 'Cesselle'. Stay tuned for more news…

This exclusive photo was taken at The Gazelle Squadron homebase in July 10th, 2017 by Miłosz Rusiecki.

Btw, I hope Miłosz won't mind if I 'whisper' Aviaforans about an Gazelle's 50th birthday article he wrote for an Polish aviation magazine and which will be published in this April or May. The article is on Polish but hopefully he would aloud us to translate some parts here
                Last edited by Zishelix; 25th March 2018, 19:16.

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just think how many guns and missiles one could load beneath those wings.

• Of course, we do not promote alcohol nor sexism here. Admin is free to ban this post if consider it inappropriate.

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The only thing not permitted on the site .. is political correctness!

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I expected this might be your response

• Here is another shot ... looks like G-BAZL to me

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol! Only Elipix could have a still from the production!

The girl in the ad (c.1973) is Caroline Munro who would play the helicopter pilot in the 'Spy Who Loved Me' (1977).

BAZL for sure.

Bravo Elipix!

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  G-BAZL indeed! An interesting detail from its service history.

Nice shot Elipix!

• Some more shots of G-OGAZ at various associated golfing venues in Scotland and one at Edinburgh Airport during use by Forth Helicopters.

All shots from Helipixman collection

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Next up G-OGEO shots....

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Splendido Elipix!

'Forth Helicopters'? Another Scottish helico I haven't heard of!

• G-OGEO sadly currently stored by owner at MW Helicopters...

All from Helipixman Collection

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All fantastic shots Elipix!

As mentioned previously, it seems as if the UK has the lion's share of stretched Gazelles.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Helipix, always a pleasure to see your G-regd Gazelle images! Keep'em coming

• More Lamb's Navy ..

Given than both Zis and Elipix have posted shots of this craft engaged in this advert, it seems only appropriate to follow suit:

G-BAZL as seen with Caroline Munro during the making of the Lamb's Navy 'Gazelle advert' c.1973

Comment

• G-VOIP

SA341D G-VOIP (WA1792) as seen at North Weald on 23rd March 2018 (Photo: Przemyslaw Burdzinski)

It seems as if the cover for VOIP's tail-mounted strobe may be missing.

Brigada de Aviación del Ejército

Ecuadorian Army SA342L E-349 (cn.1437) as seen at José Joaquín de Olmedo Airport on 6th October 2017 (Photo: Julio Villalba)

Comment

• N341GL Cancelled from Register

SA341G Gazelle N341GL (c/n 1413) was cancelled from the USA aircraft register on 22-Mar-2018 with no reason provided.

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for info, Jos!

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie Jos.

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Only thing I noticed was Certificate expired !

• 3/3 Squadron Les Félins SA342 aboard a Mistral class amphibious assault ship in March 2018

Comment

• Rus Gaz ..

Unidentified Gazelle under covers at an unknown location in Russia in 2017

Comment

• xbdt
                        xbdt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is a Westland Gaz.

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking at the shape of the exhaust, the silver skids and the equipment mounted on the roof of cab, I think it could be RA-05703 the shape seems to fit.

• Aerospatiale SA342L Gazelle No. 139 (serial no 1770) is currently on temporary display tracing the operations history of the UAE military forces. The display will last until the summer of 2018 at the Etihad Museum, Dubai.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                        Looking at the shape of the exhaust, the silver skids and the equipment mounted on the roof of cab, I think it could be RA-05703 the shape seems to fit.
                        Looks about right. When I sold G-CDXE/5703 to Russia, I also supplied a small set of Diablo wheels which appear in the photo, so that one gets my vote!

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well done Aviaforan Investigation Team
                          http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...for-sale/page2 (see post #37)
                          Last edited by Zishelix; 31st March 2018, 20:20.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well done indeed, and also to you Zis .. that's the bird, the same cover for sure (nice cover btw).

I sometimes (often) lose track of the photos posted as well as the number of Gazelles Stefano has sold and where!

• Helipixman
                          Helipixman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can still remember when Steve sold CDXE he kindly sent me some pictures of her in Russia. Its probably easy to say that with his expertise and respect in the Gazelle world, if he has not been involved in the sale of any particular Gazelle he probably will be in the future.

• Wishing our Members and our Readers a very

Comment

• G-BAGJ

Always enjoyable to see a new photo of a classic bird, provided here by aviation photographer and long-time supporter of the old Nostalgia Thread, Chris England.
                          Grazie mille Chris!

SA341G G-BAGJ (WA1039) as seen at Middle Wallop on 28th July 1973 (Photo: Chris England)

The craft behind G-BAGJ is the JetRanger G-AYBE.

Comment

• Gaz Squad School Visit

The Gazelle Squadron visited Bratton Primary School in Wiltshire over Easter as part of their charitable endeavour.

Headteacher Ian Bolton said: “The helicopter received a round of applause and energised waves goodbye as it roared back over our heads.

“This has been a unique experience for the children and has helped raise a lot of money for the causes supported by the Gazelle Squadron Display Team, such as Julia’s House Children’s Hospice and Blesma, who support wounded veterans.

“Once again a massive thank you to the parent for facilitating this visit and to the Gazelle Squadron Display team who came on the day and made it so memorable for all.”

Gaz Squad members Ray Evans, Craig Davies, Patrick Dodge and Andy Stewart with children from Bratton Primary School

Gaz Ident

Any assistance in tracking down the identity of this silver Gaz with brown accents would be appreciated.

Plus .. any Gazelle enthusiasts looking to express their interest in the Gaz through the type of car they drive, may be interested to take a look at this vehicle.

Gaz Philately

Zis, you probably already have this stamp from 1975, but if not I can send you a slightly larger copy:

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yip! Yip! Hooray! for the Gaz Squad folks!

Silver-red one should be Philippine RP-C787, now N2FW.

Re the stamp, thanks for your kind offer but already have a (framed) original... as well as these
                              http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...?p=393#post393

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie Zis!

Was fairly sure you had it.

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                            Silver-red one should be Philippine RP-C787, now N2FW.
                            First saw this one in the Philippines. We did a deal and it went to Canada with sn 1775 and was then re-crated and sent directly to UK where it was certified as HA-LFH which I flew for 5 years.

Can’t remember the Canadian reg of 787, but it was sold to USA where it became N2FW.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grazie Stefano!

Fulfilling Elipix's portrayal of 'Mr Gazelle' to a tee!

• SA341H HA-LFL (cn 007) in Hungary in January 2018 (Photo: Andrey Korolenko)

Comment

Working...
                            X