No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, another picture of SA-342M, this time 4053/BWE from 1990. But, I have this aiframe with "BXK" code from Gulf. What is correct ?
    Thanks !

Comment

• SA341F c/n 1338 preserved at Musรฉe de l'Alat et de l'Hรฉlicoptรจre (ALAT & Helicopter Museum), Dax

Comment

• SA342L c/n 1830 YU-HEC of Serbian Police during exercise held yesterday evening in capital Belgrade (Photo: Igor Salinger)

Comment

• Mean Machines: Part 2

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...1841#post11841

Comment

• Nice digital livery

SA341G D-HMTC (cn 1014) in Dortmund on June 1986 (Photo: Ken Meegan)

Comment

• Well done!

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...it#post5661259

Comment

• N341GG at Isle of Man EGNS in June 7th, 2019 (Photo: IOM Aviation Photography)

Comment

• SA342J YU-HES (cn.1057) as seen at Manston on 31st October 2020 (Photos by David Moth)

SA341F2 ZU-RRW (cn.1369) as seen in South Africa NFI (Photo by Andre Venter)

SA342M 4eRHFS (4e rรฉgiment d'hรฉlicoptรจres des forces spรฉciales/4th Special Forces Helicopter Regiment) engaged in special ops

SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) as seen with heli-dog Baykal in early October 2020 (Photo courtesy of Avia member Kirill)

SA342J(S) F-GGTJ (cn. 1473) as seen at Stapleford in March 2001 (Photo by Alan Meloy)

Zis wrote: Nice digital livery
                  That's because the flag of North Rhine-Westphalia, as with the flag of Hungary, Mexico and a few other places .. employs the colours of Italy!

Zis .. grazie mille for covering for me over the past couple of days .. so much appreciated!

Comment

• Rotorspot
                    Rotorspot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have no opinion about the colours (although I prefer red-white-blue and/or orange). Unfortunately the spelling of the registration on the digital helicopter is not correct.

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well spotted, Jos 'the Hawkeye'!

• Ecuadorean SA342L, photo taken in February 2018

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice one Zis!

Was this being shipped to South Africa?

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Surely thats not great painting the exhaust to match the the scheme on the helicopter ? Is this for display only?

• Gazelles at Stapleford on 23rd November 2020

News from Stapleford is that these two Gazelles will take to the skies within the next 2-3 weeks.

SA342J F-GCCZ (cn.1393) as seen at Stapleford in March 2001 (Photo by Alan Meloy)

SA341B ZB668 (WA1942) as seen at Fleetlands in April 1994 (Photo by Alan Allen)

Check out the latest Gazelle for sale on the GazMart

Comment

• Oh ! How they have changed

Two cockpit shots of instrument panels, first one F-ZWRA (02) and second is F-GDXX (1262)

Is there a Gazelle with a full glass panel ?

Comment

• xbdt
                      xbdt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      First panel, strange it had already the 342 torque indicator, in fact a 342 indicator is the same except for the temp and alt dial preset (and instrument calibration of course).

The second panel is the US version with autopilot from Sperry.

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice one Elipix!

Would like to see F-ZWRA's panel without those side panels attached.

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                    Is there a Gazelle with a full glass panel ?
                    I think this is the closest one.. ZU-RMZ panel

Comment

• Good looking N505HA at Toussus le Noble in October 6th, 2020 (Photo: Bruno Muthelet)

Great result of rebuilding job!

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Almost certainly a new fuselage Zis.

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It seems Gazelles are rapidly becoming 'Trigger's brooms' !

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Aye, tis bound to occur as the fleet ages.

• SA342L 12904 (cn.114) as seen at Niลก Constantine the Great Airport 5th November 2006 (Photo by Pedja Stamenkovic)

SA342J F-GCCZ (cn.1393) as seen at Stapleford in March 2001 (Photo by Alan Meloy)

SA342J I-PTEC (cn.001) as seen in November 2020 (Foto di Mauro Antongiovanni)

More Gaz Panels per Elipix

Comment

• xbdt
                        xbdt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The weights for the tail fin are not lead but even heaver; I was told it was something-ium like osmium that is about twice as heavy as lead.

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Osmium is twice dense than lead (22.6 kg/L - 11.3 kg/L)! Tungsten and gold are almost as dense as osmium (19.3 kg/L), so a gold bar in the tailfin can fix the problem as well
                        Last edited by Zishelix; 25th November 2020, 17:37.

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmm .. 1kg of Osmium costs around USD 12,000.

Anyone got any cheap Gaz tail-sections for sale?

• The One That Got Away!

Today both Zishelix and myself were joined in bidding on a rare 16mm Vintage reel of film (900ft) showcasing Gazelles at Battersea heliport and footage of the Gazelles being manufactured. Sadly we were outbid at the very last second by someone who really seemed to want it and would not let go ! We wondered if that might be an Aviafora member ? However it seems the buyer is a vintage film enthusiast and will buy anything going ? Maybe for an archive ? Sad for us because we bid very well. Alas it was not to be this time.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Gazelles at Battersea plural?

Is there any way to contact the buyer to possibly negotiate a digital copy?

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We have contacted the seller to see if he might pass our details on to the buyer !

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done guys! Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿคž

• SA341F2 N2MF (cn.1448) as seen at North Las Vegas Airport on 25th November 2020 (Photo by Houston Moore)

SA341F2 ZU-RNV (1608) as seen in South Africa NFI

N685ZB Leaves for South Africa

SA341B N685ZB (WA1994) being readied for shipment to South Africa in November 2020

WA1994's container

Military Fleets Culled in 2020

The French armyโ€™s combat helicopter fleet underwent major change, with its Aerospatiale SA341/342 inventory trimmed from 165 examples to 112.
                      https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-...141218.article

Look out for more ex-ALAT Gazelles coming onto the market in 2021.

Comment

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking at the vehicle lifting N685ZB and the container I hope it gets there in one piece ?

• xbdt
                        xbdt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hopefully an open-top container, otherwise it won't fit. Not sure if that is a good idea for the long trip over the salty sea.

• Anyone able to shed some light on present status of WA1692 XZ341?

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As 1692 is one of the 'prized' mil Gazelles (due to her registration) it would be interesting to know where she ends up.

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This Gazelle went to Shawbury 12.4.06 and was stored there for quite a while. It then moved to Gazelle Depth Support Hub (GDSH) by road on 20.6.11 where it remained with them before being re-named Multi Platform Support Unit (MPSU). It was noted back at Shawbury 2014 and is there with AM & SU where it is currently rumoured to be for sale by tender or reduced to produce ! If the latter happens it would be a great shame.

• SA341G G-BBHV WA1096 (Photo by Elipix)

It seems as if Westland were able to find some closely-coloured paper with which to cover the lower portion of the cabin doors!

This photo is similar to a photo of G-BAGK posted in 2014. G-BAGK wore almost identical colours (though she had a white base coat instead of cream) and also had a dirty tail, though not as dirty as this one. Btw, allowing one's tail to get this mucky causes real problems with the paint. Better to clean the craft more regularly if one can.

This Gaz was built in 1973 and after a short period being registered to Westland, was bought by A. Smith (Culcheth) Ltd. of Lancashire who owned her from 1974 to 1978 after which she was sold to France where she became F-GBLK.

Regarding the above photo and in terms of aesthetics, this should be the maximum allowable size for a registration!

Elipix, some years back on the Nostalgia Thread we discussed this company (A. Smith Culcheth), but I don't remember what it was that we discussed, although I seem to remember they bought a number of aircraft. Can you remember anything about them?

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bravo Elipix! ๐Ÿ‘

That would have made this Twyford's second Gazelle.

G-AVTE was the first Bell-built 206 on the UK register and the tenth overall delivered to the UK (in the summer of 1967). She was initially owned by BSR of Staffordshire before going on to A. Smith & co.

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just to complete the history of G-AVTE it went through two more owners after Mr Smith and then went to SFT where it met its tragic end. On 25.9.83 a foreign military pilot was doing solo training when he flew it into a ridge on Mid Standard Hill near Galloway losing his life.

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Another interesting order in 1972 for Gazelles was by Air Gregory. They placed an order for 1 Gazelle and options for 2 more. At the same time Point to Point placed an order for 1 Gazelle (G-BAGJ United Marine). The Air Gregory order must have been cancelled ?

• Gazelle as seen at Stapleford on 27th November 2020

SA341B XZ347 (WA1713) as seen at Boscombe Down in June 1992 (Photo by Stuart Mitchell)

SA341B ZB671 (WA1958) as seen at Middle Wallop on 16th March 2000 (Photo by Stefan Szrama)

SA341G N341DT (cn.1110) departing Lotenhulle in Belgium on 26th November 2020
                      (Video courtesy of Avia member Kurt, Gazelle flown by Avia member XB)

Comment

• BAGS in Kosovo NFI

SA342M (cn.1870) as seen at Middle Wallop on 14th May 1994 (Photo by Ray Barber)

SA341G F-GEST (cn.1113) as seen at Toussus-le-Noble on 11th March 2003 (Photo by Mike Kell)

Note that GEST is wearing something on her feet!

Comment

• Rotorspot
                          Rotorspot commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice. Next to her is SA365N Dauphin 2 VT-MAA (c/n 6080) of Mesco Airlines, which became F-GMTR.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie mille Jos! ๐Ÿ‘

I was wondering about the aircraft in the background, so this is much appreciated.

• Does anyone know which Gazelle this is ? Or has it been seen on here before ? It is from an advert with ACS Aero India from January 2020 !

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                          Does anyone know which Gazelle this is ? Or has it been seen on here before ? It is from an advert with ACS Aero India from January 2020 !

Ex-French military SA341F fitted with a non-standard baggage door.

Comment

• BATUS Gazelles as seen at Rocky Mountain House Airport in October 2017 (Photo by Simon Longworth)

SA341B as seen in Colchester on 13th March 2011

SA342MV F-MCXH as seen refuelling in Afghanistan NFI

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) NFI (Photo by Lance)

Comment

• Jakub Cikhart
                              Jakub Cikhart commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Great pics ! One question - why some British Army Gazelles has that 'pylon' under the upturned exhaust ? I never noticed that before. Thanks !

• Helipixman
                              Helipixman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The BAG looks like the exhaust fitting is on a set of guide rails, maybe for a quick on/off fitment ?

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If I'm not mistaken then I think that one of Stefano's early ex-mil Gazelles had this arrangement fitted.

I did ask (many years ago) about the reason for this set up, and I believe it was Stefano who provided the response, but right now I can't remember what that was, but I'm supposing it was simply an alternative exhaust mounting.

I think this 'exhaust-sitting-on-a-box' design was exclusive to Westland, and of the various exhaust options available, I always felt this was the least attractive.

• It was G-CDXE that had a similar exhaust set up as per photo...

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's the one, grazie Elipix. ๐Ÿ‘

Looks like Nige with Stefano.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                            If I'm not mistaken then I think that one of Stefano's early ex-mil Gazelles had this arrangement fitted.

I did ask (many years ago) about the reason for this set up, and I believe it was Stefano who provided the response, but right now I can't remember what that was, but I'm supposing it was simply an alternative exhaust mounting.

This mounting was fixed to rails on the upper surface of the tailboom. The purpose of this arrangement was to solve problems with cracking which had occurred with the original upturned exhaust as a result of the extra weight of the heat insulation material surrounding the exhaust.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bravo Stefano, grazie mille! ๐Ÿ‘

• Jakub Cikhart
                              Jakub Cikhart commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the explanation !!!

• SA342L1 YU-HEA (cn.118) NFI (Photo by Igor Salinger)

SA341B XW848 (WA1013) as seen at Middle Wallop on 25th August 1993 (Photo by Peter Davis) Assigned to 671 Squadron

SA342 RA-0682G in Russia NFI

Red Bull digital Gazelle

Gaz vs. F-16

Comment

• Good morning.

Three new pics of Gulf Gazelles have emerged. Two of 4173/138/AEH and one of 1296/124/BOT from gentlemen Michel Argouarch and Hugues Corbet.

I asked for permission to use those pics on my site with proper credit, but was turned down from Mr. Hugues Corbet, on FB only. These photos are in the Anciens Combattants Guerre du Golfe.Armรฉe de l'Air.DAGUET group on FB.

Thanks!

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Jakub.

I am sorry they weren't able to assist you with the photos, but perhaps we will find some more for you from another source.

• Helipixman
                                Helipixman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I have never understood why people are so unwilling to allow their photos to be used. Anyone can use mine and I am proud they want to ! I had problems once with a chap in Ireland, I took a photo of a Jetranger at hotel helipad at City West, he swore blind it was his photograph and that I take it down from a website immediately. I refused and it got quite heated until I scanned the negative strip for him to see. He went away with his tail between his legs but no apology. Sadly some people takre the use of their photos and copyright too far !

• Jakub Cikhart
                                Jakub Cikhart commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hi, I have the pics but can not publish them, pity Both Gazelles crashed. No idea why they are not willing to post the pics. I always ask for permission and to put copyright on the picture, but today, no luck. Oh well ...

• SA341B ZB691 (WA2006) as seen at Middle Wallop on 10th March 2010 (Photo by Neil Brant)

SA342MV 4034 NFI

SA341B XX444 (WA1248) as seen at Wattisham Airfield in August 2016 (Photo by David Wells)

SA341G(S) G-EHUP (cn.1407) as seen at Redhill on 3rd October 2006 (Photo by Adrian Share)

Zis/Elipix, G-UZEL is clearly to the right of G-EHUP, but behind G-UZEL is another Gaz in the same or similar colour, do you know which aircraft this could be?

Comment

• Helipixman
                                Helipixman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Agree G-GZLE.

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Zis e Elipix! You are stars! ๐Ÿ‘

'๐™„ ๐™–๐™ข ๐™จ๐™ช๐™ง๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™ž๐™จ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฃ๐™ค ๐™ค๐™›๐™›๐™ž๐™˜๐™ž๐™–๐™ก ๐™ก๐™ž๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ ๐˜ผ๐™ง๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™‚๐™–๐™ฏ๐™š๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™จ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™ง๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฅ๐™–๐™ฉ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™‚๐™ช๐™ก๐™› ๐™’๐™–๐™ง' โ€” This is now your responsibility Jakub!

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment

• Some more photos of XX444 being transported

During its time in the Falklands, it arrived at Port William in June 1982 on Contender Bezant and was intended for use by 3 CBAS but used by 656 Squadron instead due to 3CBAS pulling out ?

Also interesting to note XX444 serial is way out of sequence at c/n 1248 along with a few others.... XX 441 is c/n 1418 and XX445 is c/n 1435. Was this another case of airframes not used at the time of manufacture ?

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Elipix! ๐Ÿ‘

• SA341G G-BAGK (WA1065) as seen at Glasgow Airport on 21st July 1973

Given that G-BAGK was mentioned in the comments of last Friday's 'flashback', it seemed only appropriate to show these Christian Salvesen archive photos.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                Helipixman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Two wonderful shots of the few civilian Gazelles to have flown in Scotland๐Ÿ‘

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                We're counting on you to push for another Gaz to take-up residence in Scottie Elipix!
                            Working...
                            X