Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen in Abkhazia in January 2021

SA341G(S) G-WCRD (cn.1390) as seen at Manchester Barton NFI (Photo by Steve Cooper)

SA341C XZ939 (WA1750) NFI (Photo by Rupert Kelley)

Comment

• SA342L1 12943 (cn.163) + 1 over Montenegro NFI

SA341B G-KEMH (WA1284) as seen at Redhill on 2nd February 2021 (Photos by R&R Detailing)

G-KEMH has how finished with her comprehensive paint correction work and has been covered with a protective coating in the form of PX10 from Titan Coatings.

BAG ship departure NFI

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Zis, much appreciated. ๐Ÿ‘

Grazie Elipix! We do have one of KEMD as RA-05705 at Stapleford in August last year, #4500: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...2647#post12647

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes we do but I want to see one with the registration G-KEMD on it ?

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Wilco Elipix! Will keep my eyes peeled for anything on KEMD!

• X-300: The Gazelle Forerunner

Have we mentioned this project on here before - believed to be the forerunner of the Gazelle. It is the X300 a development of the Alouette II and has a distinct Gazelle look. I do not think it got past the drawings stage.

Comment

• Fabrice
        Fabrice commented
        Editing a comment
        The date of the very first notes leading to the X-300 project still has to be discovered... but the X-300 was most probably drawn in 1965, as it was designed to enter in the scope of the anglo-french agreement (signed 17 may 1965), leading eventually to the joint development and series production of the Puma, Lynx and Gazelle.

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        The image above came from an Aviation magazine as Fabrice correctly stated the year was 1965.

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Another artistic view on the subject

• SA342M F-MGEC 4207 (cn.2207) as seen at Base aรฉrienne d'ร‰tain-Rouvres in January 2021

SA342J(S) G-TOPZ (cn.1473) as seen at Wellesbourne Airfield on 8th October 2007 (Photo by Graeme Lovell)

Elipix wrote: Have we mentioned this project on here before - believed to be the forerunner of the Gazelle. It is the X300 a development of the Alouette II and has a distinct Gazelle look. I do not think it got past the drawings stage.
      Fabrice wrote: In fact the so-called X-300 was the true forerunner of what eventually became the Gazelle, and was designed as a replacement for the Alouette II for the French and British armies. From its very inception it incorporated the shrouded tail rotor, it was originally a 4-seats design of 1200kg MTOW belonging to the LOH (Light Observation Helicopter) category. It later on evolved into a somewhat bigger design, 5-seats with a MTOW of 1450, then 1600kg.
      Zis wrote: Another artistic view on the subject.

Bravo la team!

Looking at Zis's artistic impression, instead of X-300, the tail is advertising a number beginning with 'SA'. Is this SA300 or something else?

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        It should be SA340, later evolved to http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...0654#post10654

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        As we have established the project started as X-300 and had a Fenestron, then it becomes the SA340 as per the artistic impression still with a fenestron, so if the prototype SA340 had a standard tail rotor why ? Was the fenestron not developed enough to do it straight from the start ?

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct, the SA340-001 differed from the earlier drawings not only in having smaller back door windows and side panels but in being without the fenestron and rigid rotor. Neither of these innovations were considered sufficiently developed at the stage to allow installation on the machine and so both were replaced by standard Alouette II components.

• SA341F2 (cn.1082) assigned to 4e EHA and as seen in 1984 (Photo by Franรงois Bouvier)

Aรฉrospatiale ad promoting the 'Hot Gaz' saying: 'Destroys tanks up to 4000 metres'

Perhaps Zis can help us with a year for this ad.

Zis wrote: Correct, the SA340-001 differed from the earlier drawings not only in having smaller back door windows and side panels but in being without the fenestron and rigid rotor. Neither of these innovations were considered sufficiently developed at the stage to allow installation on the machine and so both were replaced by standard Alouette II components.
      Nice reply Zis!

N341AS flight from December 2013

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        'Perhaps Zis can help us with a year for this ad'

1975-'76. But it showed up six HOT missiles would be little to heavy even for Astazou XIV.

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Zis! ๐Ÿ‘

I guess it depends how heavy each missile is.

• SA341G(S) YU-HVZ (cn.1295) as seen at Deventer-Teuge Airport in the Netherlands on 11th September 2015 (Photo by Johan Warringa)

SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) as seen at Bourne Park on 27th October 2018 (Photo by David Stevens)

So, you know how XB registered his 'J' model 2-WILD, well .. now we know the reason why!

SA342J 2-WILD (cn.1695) as seen in lower Austria in February 2021

Comment

• C-GOCA in Alaska

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Great images! Thanks for sharing, XB!

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastico XB! Such lovely photos. ๐Ÿ‘Œ

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw these on facebook aswell, have messaged the poster to see if he has any other Gazelle shots ?

• SA341B XZ317 (WA1600) as seen at Middle Wallop on 5th September 1993 (Photo by Roger Richards)

SA341B XZ344 (WA1704) as seen at Teeside Airport in 1983 (Photo by Aidan Williamson)

SA341G G-UZEL (cn.1413) as seen at Popham Airfield on 29th June 2008 (Photo by Ray Barber)

Comment

• SA341C HA-HCD as seen at Budaรถrs Airfield in Hungary on 20th January 2021 (Photo by Keller Tamรกs)

Elipix, you commented recently on the Ukrainian Gazelles; this is formerly UR-ABBA and now on the Hungarian register.

SA341D XZ936 (WA1743) as seen at Middle Wallop on 7th July 1984 (Photo by Paul Thallon)

Cameroon Air Force

SA342L TJ-XBF (cn.1874) NFI (Photo by D. Liron)

Comment

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wonderful to find one of the Ukranian Gazelles now re-registered. I wonder if any of the others will follow.

The Cameroon Gazelle could be having an airing, it is currently at a museum in St. Victoret, France ! or is it moving on ?

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't have a location for 1874 so grazie, I'm sure its just 'airing' as you say.

• Stapleford Tawney Gazelle store

I wonder if anyone knows what is going to happen to the remaining Gazelles stored at Stapleford Tawney ?

The 30 Gazelles sold by Witham at Colsterworth were all transported to Stapleford for initial storage, owned by Kemet Global (Paramount) and looked after by MW Helicopters ?

Of the 30 the following have emerged as follows:-

XW909 to G-HSDL
          XX371 to G-CHLU and now in South Africa
          XX383 to ZU-RMU
          XX386 to G-KEMH
          XX409 to G-CHYV now VH-OIX
          XX439 to G-CHLW and now in South Africa
          XZ291 to Gabon Parcs
          XZ296 to ZU-RMT
          XZ338 to G-CHZF and now VH-OIZ
          ZB688 to G-CHMF and now ZU-RNO

So that leaves:-

XW848, XW913, XX394, XX398, XX416, XX437, XX438, XX445, XX455, XX456, XX462, XZ292, XZ304, XZ314, XZ324,
          XZ344, ZA726, ZA728, ZA776 and ZB673 all thought to be still in storage at Stapleford. I wonder what is going to happen to them all ? I have heard that some may not be capable of being made airworthy. Any ideas ?

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder whether there are some other cabs which have been dispatched abroad and of which we are not aware?

Also useful to know would be how many of these were set aside for parting.

• SA342L KAF 521 NFI (Photo by Remy Bertrand)

SA341B ZA728 (WA1797) as seen at RAF Fairford on 26th July 1998

SA341B XX380 (WA1268) as seen in 1995 NFI

Avia member Jakub is seeking information on Gulf War Gazelles which have crashed, and is currently looking for details on the following aircraft:

SA-342M 4173/138/AEH

SA-341F1 1296/124/BOT

If anyone has any information on these aircraft, Jakub would be most grateful.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            According info I have both 1296 & 4173 were damaged at battlefield in February 1991, w/o and later used as instructional airframes or static demonstrators.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your help Zis! ๐Ÿ‘

• Fabrice
            Fabrice commented
            Editing a comment
            AFAIK, 4173 was indeed withdrawn from use after its accident in the Gulf, but 1296 eventually returned into service (reported active in Le Luc circa 1998).

• Thanks. Also, looking for info for my friend. Any idea when the Kuwaiti Gazelles were painted overall grey ? I know that some were repainted before Gulf war, but when it all ended ? When they lost the sand/brown camouflage ? Thanks !

Comment

• Are the Snow Gazelles over already? If not, OK then.

N341DT SA341G c/n 1110 at Zomergem on February 10th 2021

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Lovely photo, thanks for sharing XB!

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              '๐€๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐’๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐†๐š๐ณ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐š๐ฅ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐๐ฒ?' โ€” The 'Snow Gazelles at Christmas' are over .. but when they finish we go straight into 'Snow Gazelles in Winter' because as everyone knows, there is simply no better surrounding in which to capture Gazelles .. than snow!

รˆ bellissimo XB! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

• SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen in Abkhazia on 9th February 2021

SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) winter flying at Bratsk in Russia (Photos courtesy of Avia member Kirill)

Russian puppy with 709 at Bratsk in February 2021

Featured above is the as yet unnamed puppy of 'Lama', the Mostovoy Airfield mascot who has featured on Shrieking Gazelles in times past. Kirill has promised to let us know once the puppy is named.

To see 'Lama', as well as other heli-dogs including today's addition of heli-dog 'Guinness' in the Rhรดne-Alpes, visit Heli-Dogs.

Comment

• I have the following:-

They were both damaged on 24.2.91 which was the first day of Ground attacks in Kuwait.

1296 F-MBOT was stripped of all useful weapons which were used on another Gazelle, it was then put on a low loader and returned to France presumably by air ! It the went to Phalsbourg for storage and used as an instructional frame marked as "FPN"

4173 as above and became an instructional frame at ESAM, Bourges marked as "CXM"

Photo of F-MBOT with thanks to Martial Dauphin

Comment

• Jakub Cikhart
                Jakub Cikhart commented
                Editing a comment
                BIG thanks !!!!! Time to update my pages Have a great weekend !!

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie Elipix! ๐Ÿ‘

• XW870

This Gazelle has recently moved from the Defence Fire Training and Development Centre at Manston and can now be found at Jet Art Ltd at Thorpe Wood in North Yorkshire. Currently they are not sure what they might do with it, it could become a movie prop or sold - circa ยฃ10k

Comment

• MTS โ€‹hรฉlicoptรจres SA342J F-GFDG (cn.1204) as seen at Aeroport Annecy Meythet on 1st July 1992 (Photo by Paul Denton)

SA341G(S) G-BXJK (cn.1417) as seen at Thruxton in 1999

Comment

• Since we're still in 'Snow Gazelles' mode

F-HGUN at Courchevel in February 10th, 2015

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Always lovely to see this bird, although I think she probably looked better before the addition of the brown paint.

• Rotorspot
                  Rotorspot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree that she looked better before the brown paint was exaggerated. Over the years, more and more brown paint has been added, as if she is 'rusting'. I see three different paint schemes (apart from the above) here at
                  https://www.jetphotos.com/registration/F-HGUN

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  '๐Ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฒ๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ฌ, ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐›๐ซ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง ๐ฉ๐š๐ข๐ง๐ญ ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐š๐๐๐ž๐, ๐š๐ฌ ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ '๐ซ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ '.'

๐Ÿ˜† Ha ha, yes it seems so! Perhaps her owner is a frustrated artist and HGUN became his art project, seeing as XB mentioned that he applied this brown paint himself with a paintbrush!?

• SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) at Mostovoy Airfield in November 2020 (Photo courtesy of Avia member Kirill)

SA341G(S) YU-HOT (cn.1390) as seen over Syrmia in Serbia on 12th February 2021 (Photos by Aleksandar Zubac)

SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) on heli-skiing duties in Abkhazia on 12th February 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post

More pics of the subject and some more UK mil Gazelles: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...ation-gazelle/

899 is a Crabtree Gaz.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bravo Stefano! ๐Ÿ‘

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Which is of course G-CLSA, nice registration for you !

• New Gazelle in North America

N342RP, SA342M, c/n 4123; ex ALAT 4123; registered 09-Feb-2021 to Walton Farms Inc. (was reserved on 08-Jan-2021).

Comment

• Helipixman
                    Helipixman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also assume it was one of the Gazelles you had ?

• xbdt
                    xbdt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, that is also correct :-)

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grazie Jos! ๐Ÿ‘

• SA341G G-GAZA (cn.1187) as seen at Sywell on 31st May 2014 (Photo by David Moth)

SA341B XZ333 (WA1622) as seen at North Weald on 14th May 1988 (Photo by Roger Richards)

SA341B's from 29 BATUS Flight as seen in Canada in February 2016 (Photo by Simon Longworth)

SA342M F-MCWC (3864/1864) as seen at Greenham Common on 23rd July 1983 (Photo by Ray Barber)

Comment

• N341MG changes owner... now registered to Neue Kinetik LLC as of 13.2.21 (Kentucky address)

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie Elipix! ๐Ÿ‘

• SA341G(S) HA-PJB (cn.1392) as seen at Kemble on 30th November 2012 (Photo by Graham Wasey)

SA341B XZ290 (WA1489) NFI

SA341C XZ939 (WA1750) as seen at SPTA on 12th April 2011 (Photo by Neil Brant)

XZ939 is recorded as a 'C' model, however it seems to be missing the dual antenna array beneath the nose which Zis has pointed out in the past was a feature of the UK's Navy Gazelles.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Elipix/Jos: While on the issue of model numbers and registrations, can you confirm (as per past discussions) that ex UR-ABBA now flying in Hungary as HA-HCD is in fact SA341C WA1102 but advertised as an SA341G cn.1098?

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have HA-HCD as being WA.1102 ex UR-ABBA, G-BZFJ, XW861.
                      C/n WA.1098 was G-WDEV

The CAA show both G-BZFJ and G-WDEV as C/n 1098 (Why I do not know)

If you follow the military sequence it shows the following

XW859 - 1091
                      XW860 - 1100
                      XW861 - 1102
                      XW862 - 1104

In the past we have seen a photo of the data plate on UR-ABBA showing 1098 ? Some say stamped wrongly at the factory or was a new data plate added at some stage trying to make it look like it was not an ex military machine ?

Will we ever get to the bottom of this one ?

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grazie Elipix!

'๐™Ž๐™ค๐™ข๐™š ๐™จ๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ข๐™ฅ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™›๐™–๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ฎ.' โ€” Unlikely I think.

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
                    Which is of course G-CLSA, nice registration for you !

You possibly wonโ€™t believe this, but I had not noticed this!

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, not believing that are we Elipix, as we all know this stands for ๐—–rabtree ๐—Ÿicencee ๐—ฆtefano ๐—”thertoni ๐Ÿ˜†

• Helipixman
                      Helipixman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Given the fantastic knowledge the owner has regarding Gazelles it must surely stand for Class Act !

• SA341B XX412 (WA1362) as seen at RAF Fairford in July 1994 (Photo by Phil Rawlings)

The above craft first flew on 16th January 1975 and delivered to the Marines on 12th November 1975. Loaded on board RFA Sir Galahad on 5th April 1982 and was shipped to the Falklands where she served during the campaign. Flew with 847 NAS Royal Marines. Sent to RAF Shawbury on 9th June 2005 for storage, then to DCAE Cosford on 7th January 2009 and to Gosport in December 2018.

SA341B XZ340 (WA1691) as seen at Calgary Airport on 11th June 2016

Commemorative Gaz sticker

Comment

• SA342M F-MGCF (4164) as seen at La Fertรฉ-Alais (Photo by Ismael Jordaฬ)

SA342MV F-MGBB as seen at Phalsbourg-Bourscheid NFI

SA342L as seen at Aรฉroport de Marseille (Marignane) (Photo by Maxence Lombard)

For delivery to the Niger Air Force.

SA341B XZ305 (WA1543) as seen at RNAY Fleetlands in Gosport on 11th April 2012 (Photo by Richard Flagg)

Comment

• Fabrice
                        Fabrice commented
                        Editing a comment
                        SA342MV F-MGBB as seen at Phalsbourg-Bourscheid: definitely not in LFQP! You cannot find palmtrees in Phalsbourg (look in the background)...

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie Fabrizio! ๐Ÿ‘ Will try and track down some further info on this shot.

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Re 'SA342M F-MGCF (4164)' photo: I was hoping the number on the battery (if exist) indicate the machine's serial, but obviously not always the case

• Gaz Down in Lichtenburg South Africa

South African Gazelle SA341F2 ZU-RLD (cn.1659) has crashed this morning while taking-off from Lichtenburg Airport in the North West province of South Africa.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that this accident may have been caused by a handling issue resulting from an inexperienced pilot with limited hours on the Gazelle. The aircraft is thought to have lost control while manoeuvring between hangars ultimately resulting in the mainrotor severing the tailboom.

Another theory being considered is the possibility of widespread fuel contamination as the cause behind a recent spate of accidents across South Africa (see comment by XB below).

Video depicting take-off immediately prior to the crash

CCTV footage taken immediately after take-off

The same aircraft attempting a take-off from the same location on 16th January 2021

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bad news, indeed

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        '๐™ƒ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ข๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™™๐™–๐™ข๐™–๐™œ๐™š ๐™™๐™ค๐™š๐™จ ๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™™๐™ค ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š/๐™œ๐™š๐™–๐™ง๐™—๐™ค๐™ญ ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™˜ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ง๐™จ ๐™จ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ž๐™ก ๐™—๐™ค๐™ค๐™ข? ๐™๐™š๐™—๐™ช๐™ž๐™ก๐™™๐™–๐™—๐™ก๐™š ๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™š๐™ญ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™จ๐™ž๐™ซ๐™š?' โ€” Such an event classifies as a 'sudden stoppage'. In such circumstances manufacturers and national aviation authorities require that all dynamic components be stripped, inspected and overhauled. The fuselage must also be inspected and necessary repairs made. In brief, its expensive.

Regarding whether an aircraft is rebuildable; technically most accidents in which the aircraft has not been destroyed by impact and/or fire can be rebuilt, the question is whether it is economic to do so. Oftentimes it is cheaper, and certainly quicker, to buy another aircraft. When it comes to the airframe, the cost of a rebuild is greatly influenced by whether or not the airframe needs to be repaired with the aid of a jig, which usually indicates that the fuselage's structural integrity has been compromised to such an extent that major repair work is required.

Yes, the craft has been repainted and I believe has a new owner also (to be confirmed).

• xbdt
                        xbdt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There were 28 helicopter and plane accidents in SA last month only. They are now investigating the fuel as possible cause to all these accidents.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                      SA342L as seen at Aรฉroport de Marseille (Marignane) (Photo by Maxence Lombard)

For delivery to the Niger Air Force.
                      I have learned the following about the 3 Niger Gazelles. All three have been/will be overhauled at MRS by Aeromecanics:

5U-MHG (3547) in the past year
                      5U-MHF (3531) seen in recent days
                      5U-MHE (3477) will be ready next month

Comment

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Rotorspot.

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie Jos, this information is much appreciated! ๐Ÿ‘

• Rotorsport commented
                      I have her as having been converted from 341C Gazelle HT2 to 341D Gazelle HT3 standard, which may explain the lack of those antennas.
                      Helipixman commented
                      Hi Rotorspot when did that happen ? As you know this is now G-CLGO with the Gazelle Squadron and the CAA website are showing it as a 341C HT.2

I have the history of Gazelle XZ939 as:
                      • First flight 20-Sep-1978
                      • Delivered 02-Nov-1978
                      • Converted to HT3
                      • Transferred to RAF Dec-1979
                      • Withdrawn Boscombe Down Dec-2018
                      • To Bourne Park
                      • To G-CLGO Jun-2019
                      I am aware that the CAA website is showing her as HT2, so she may have been converted back(?)

Comment

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree with your history, I have notes on this Gazelle stating it was built as an HT.2 but issued to the RAF so did change to HT.3. It was noted as stored at Wroughton in 1979 along with a few other HT.2s which also went to the RAF. I have it as being with Central Flying School coded Z, then to ETPS still as Z then as you quote to Qinetiq and then G-CLGO.
                    Working...
                    X