Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed, your Gazelle will look mean with this kind of "make up"

Obtaining such "toys" shouldn't be a big problem …

but I somehow doubt you would be able to "play" like these guys!

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      It would be nice to have a fully working launchers, but can't see the CAA allowing that. For display it should be ok, but I can't find one anywhere, not even even a empty stores boom!

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      There MUST be someone in Serbia willing to sell a Gaz stores boom and carrier! Zis, any ideas? Some dummy rockets (ie. just the casings) would be a nice touch for static displays, because there are very few Gazelles seen in the UK at shows etc. and which are fitted with armaments. I imagine therefore you might even get some requests for appearances, specifically because the craft is kitted-out with such gear.

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      There's no modification required. The stores boom simply screws on. However, for the civilian model (with the boot) it cannot be fitted. If anyone knows of a stores boom in Serbia please let me know. I can probably get some dummy rockets made up - its the stores boom that's difficult to get.

• I don't think it's possible just to "attach" that kind of launchers on a Gazelle because it require some serious interventions on the fuselage. Beside that, there's a roof sight and specific cabin aiming equipment... if you really want to have the GAMA look.

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      the roof sight isn't a problem I've just donated one to doncaster helicopter museum Aeroventure for them to use with their falklands gazelle

• But I think many of the UK military Gazelles had fittings for a stores pylon or boom, in fact on the ex-MoD craft you can often see the plate covering the area into which the pylon would normally fit.

I think for shows and exhibitions you could still have the pylon and rocket housings which would make an impressive static display even without the gun sight.

Question is .. do you know someone in Serbia willing to sell a pylon!

More Serb Gaz ..

Serbian Air Force SA342 Soko Gazelle 12920

Serbian Air Force SA342 Soko Gazelle 12920

External stores carrier and pylon

All photos by Zarko Skoko.

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem with the sight. I know a few people who have some.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
    Question is .. do you know someone in Serbia willing to sell a pylon!
    I really wouldn't know (I don't deal with armament ), maybe Steve should ask Serbian MoD directly... from time to time they offer some out-of-date military equipment.

Comment

• Where there's a will, there's a way! Let's hope a solution can be found, as it would nice to have an 'armoured' Gaz attending the odd show here and there, because (as mentioned) they are something of a rarity!

North American Gaz ..

SA341D Westland Gazelle N931XZ (cn WA1728) as seen in the US in 2014

Carl Bateman of Rotor Leasing has written saying that this craft was sold to an organisation in Florida, who were planning to export her to China. However, the export/import process seems to have been overwhelming, and so the craft remains in the US. She is an ex-RAF Central Flying School training bird, XZ931, as reflected in her registration.

Comment

• More from North America ..

On page 30 we saw an image of N2TV while she was flying as 'Chopper 2'. In this latest offering she is still wearing the 'eye 2' livery, but with 'Action News' titles:

SA341G(S) N2TV (cn 1392) seen flying over Los Angeles with CBS 2TV Action News, in the 1990's

Comment

• Brathay Apprentices ..

The first QinetiQ Brathay apprentice team photo for 2015:

The 2015 QinetiQ Brathay Apprentice Challenge team with QinetiQ Gazelle as seen on 26th February 2015

https://twitter.com/qinetiqbac2015

Comment

• - BENEGAZ NEWS UPDATE -

Xavier has some more (and encouraging) news regarding the Benegaz Gazelle meet scheduled for July this year.

Please check the 2015 Benegaz Gazelle Meet Thread for updates.

Comment

• 1980's Brit Mil Gaz

We've just seen cn. 1728 in the US (courtesy of Carl Bateman of Rotor Leasing), let's see her now from her days with the RAF:

RAF SA341D Westland Gazelle XZ931 (cn 1728) as seen (at an undisclosed location) in 1981. Craft fitted with an Astazou IIIN2

Plus an AAC Gaz ..

Army Air Corps SA341B Westland Gazelle XW865 (cn 1119) as seen at North Weald aerodrome on 14th May 1988

Another look at XW864, taken four years prior to the above photo, and before she had her training markings:

AAC SA341B Westland Gazelle XW865 (cn 1119) as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th July 1984 (Photo: Mike Hopwood)

Seen here being positioned onto a low loader, having formed part of the REME exhibition at the Middle Wallop International Air Show in 1984.

Comment

• Exercise 'Joan of Arc' Commences

An ALAT SA342 Gazelle participating in Exercise Joan of Arc on 8th March 2015

Crews from the Aviation Légère de l’Armée de Terre (ALAT), the French light army aviation unit, commenced exercise 'Jeanne d’Arc' (Joan of Arc) on 8th March 2015. The exercise will involve night flying operations from French naval vessels in the Mediterranean.

Exercise Joan of Arc will involve a detachment of 40 soldiers, mostly from the 3rd Regiment and combat helicopters (RHC), and is hosting two crew members of the 1st RHC of Phalsbourg. Operations will involve the participation of Gazelle and Puma helicopters.

http://rpdefense.over-blog.com/2015/...u-dixmude.html

Comment

• "The Dragonfly", created by Charlotte Moreton & apprentices from QinetiQ's Engineering Training Centre at MoD Boscombe Down for Salisbury International Arts Festival 2007. Ex ZA804 installed at Amesbury's Solstice Park.

Photo by TZ Aviation, May 12th, 2012
                  Last edited by Zishelix; 10th March 2015, 10:09.

Comment

• md600driver
                    md600driver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Scandalous use of a Gazelle airframe!

• Some call this art, although I tend to view it as vandalism.

If someone has nothing better to do with a Gaz fuselage, then they would rather give it to Steve or Xavier, who could then return it to the air, or use it as spares to keep the world's Gaz fleet flying!

But that's just my slightly biased opinion on the matter.

F-GPFP

On page 22 we showed some photos of 1708 (F-GPFP) from September 2007, when she was wearing Bugatti titles.

Here are some more shots of "FP" from earlier that same year, before she received her Bugatti markings. Sadly, I don't know the airport, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

All photos by Robert Jeantrelle, taken in March 2007.

SA342J F-GPFP (cn 1708):

Comment

• md600driver
                    md600driver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It looks like Marsellile Airport where Aeromecanic had their hangar. I once visited there to look at some ex-German 342's.

• SA341G Gazelle N341AS (cn 1042) as seen at Kortrijk-Wevelgem Airport on 24th February 2015 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

Comment

• Further up the page we looked at former RAF Gazelle XZ931, now flying Stateside as N931XZ. Here is Rotor Leasing's Chris Bateman with the craft before she was resprayed:

Comment

• Braz Gaz

You know the Brasilian Gazelle (PT-HFL) ex-F-WMHG, the one which has been for sale for decades (see details here) - do you suppose her motor still runs?

Comment

• md600driver
                        md600driver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The link for this aircraft on the Gazelles For Sale page has expired. I have tried to contact the seller a number of times.

• SA341 Gazelle F-ZWRK (cn 04) as seen at Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport in 1969 (Photo: David Carter)

The sixth Gazelle ever produced and the fourth and final pre-production aircraft. Seen here being demonstrated to the Royal Australian Air Force.

Note the shape of the stabiliser end-plates, the 'cropped' upper tail section, as well as the tail markings, which still bear the Sud Aviation title.

Comment

• Great photo, Sav!

Comment

• G-VOIP

Not sure if Quintin Milne was the reason behind the registration. It was registered to Timothy James Lewis from 15.11.05 to 23.8.06 before Quintin Milne owned it!

I think Quintin Milne is related to Donald Milne of Apex Tubulars of Aberdeen, a prolific Hughes 500 owner who also kept a 500 abroad in Spain.

Comment

• Brit Gaz

G-UZEL

First imported into the UK ex YU-HBO c/n 1413 becoming G-BRNH with European Helicopters Ltd, Denham along with YU-HBI c/n 1301 which became G-BRNI.

UK History
                            G-BRNH: European Helicopters Ltd, 22.9.89 - 21.11.89

​G-UZEL at Weston Super Mare HeliDays

G-UZEL History
                            • Maxador Ltd, 21.11.89 - 5.7.91
                            • Liam Keating C/o Kepak Ltd, 5.7.91 - 11.8.94
                            • S.E. Hobbs (UK) Ltd, 11.8.94 - 7.1.00 (also owned G-HOBZ 341D)
                            • MCC Ltd, 7.1.00 - 27.3.03 (owner Mike Holt of Michaels Car Centre, IOM so possible thats were previous shot is ?)
                            • William Robert Pitcher, 27.3.03 - 29.12.03 (has also owned/owns G-EZEL, G-PAGS, G-EZZL, YU-MMY and HA-LFC)
                            • Fairalls of Godstone Ltd, 29.12.03 - 9.1.12 (also owned G-PYOB/G-GZLE)
                            • Wagstaff Homes Ltd, 9.1.12 - 1.2.12

G-UZEL in new scheme again at Weston HeliDays

HA-LFT
                            • Wagstaff Homes Ltd, 1.2.12 - 25.7.14
                            N341GL
                            • Amphib Inc, 25.7.14 -

A little research shows that the address for Amphib is Charles "Chuck" Greenhill a prolific warbird collector.
                            Last edited by Helipixman; 12th March 2015, 16:17.

Comment

• md600driver
                              md600driver commented
                              Editing a comment
                              YU-HBI c/n 1301, which became G-BRNI, later to become HA-LFM; has nearly finished her 12 year check in Hungary. I expect her to return to Crabtree [hopefully] in the weeks ahead.

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Great news! Looking forward to see her flying again.

• Steve: Thanks for confirming F-GPFP's location in Marseille. Re: the Braz Gaz, I shall make some enquiries to see whether there are any contacts available for the owner (assuming the craft hasn't already been sold of course).

Elipix: These are lovely and unique photos .. bravo!
                            The lighting in the shot of G-UZEL at Weston has nicely picked-out the red accents of her livery. Btw, if you have any shots of Donald Milne's Hughes 500's, then please feel free to post them on the Nostalgia thread.

And then there were four ..

The Royal Navy 'Sharks' display team

This week we received tragic news from Argentina regarding the collision of two Ecureuils with the resultant loss of all on board both aircraft. In 1977, the Royal Navy Sharks suffered a similar fate when on 13th June, Sharks 4 and 6 (XX415 & XW859), collided during a display off Praa Sands in Cornwall. Both pilots and one passenger (aboard Shark 4) were killed.

I first saw the Sharks perform in 1975, the year of their formation (when they had six aircraft). At that time the Army display team, the Blue Eagles, were flying five Westland Siouxs. My godfather, resisting the temptation (as he would have seen it) to be impressed by the Navy, made the point of telling me that it required greater skill on the part of the Army drivers to deliver their display than for 'that Navy lot' with their glittering new turbine-powered Gazelles! Ah .. how I miss my godfather's retelling of his inter-service antics and escapades!

Comment

• Ah, the famous Sharks!

Some of their memorabilia - patches from different periods:

around 1976 from 1986 to '89 from 1989 to '92

And some stickers:

Although the Sharks were officially disbanded in 1992, their legacy was actually carried on by a two-ship team (although but not under the Sharks name), until the Gazelle helicopter was taken out of Royal Navy service in 1996. In reality, there were actually two separate teams of two, plus two separate/individual solo Gazelles as well. On odd occasions, both of the "pairs" teams would come together to perform as a four-ship display ... but still not as the Sharks.

The black-tailed XW891 CU49 at Greenham Common ain June 24th, 1979

And a nostalgic video:

Comment

• I finally found out the Gazelle crew behind this photo:

Steve in action:

HA-LFQ at Polish Open Helicopter Cup in 2014

Comment

• md600driver
                                  md600driver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Where we were the highest placed UK team! lol

• Nice post on the Sharks Zis!

So who were the crew 'flying the dog'?

How to arm a Soko GAMA:

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                                  So who were the crew 'flying the dog'?
                                  Well, see the "leash" hanging out of HA-LFQ... some think it's for hanging a bucket, but no - it was for pet walking!

Comment

• md600driver
                                    md600driver commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I have the two friendliest Labradors in the world! Whenever they hear a Gazelle (even from miles away), their ears will pick up and they will make their way to the hangar and sit there till I arrive. When landing they run around like demented beasts until I'm on the ground.

When they hear other helicopter types, they stand up to listen more closely, and once having ascertained that it is not a Gazelle, sit back down and usually go to sleep.

They should probably receive some sort of 'shrieking award'.

• As a self-confessed dog 'fanatic' .. I think it would be most fitting to award the 'Crabtree Labs' with a Shrieking Gazelles award. However, we should probably enquire as to their names .. in order that we may properly acknowledge them!

Comment

• md600driver
                                    md600driver commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    They are called Parker [after Lady Penelope's driver from Thunderbirds] and Bailey, taken from the liqueur of Gaelic origin.

• Aviafora is delighted to announce the bestowal of our Golden Gazelle award in a joint presentation

to Parker and Bailey in the category of 'Special Support Crew'

In acknowledgement of their enthusiastic reception of landing Gazelles

and for exhibiting exceptional canine aptitude

in distinguishing shrieking Gazelles from other forms of rotary craft

presented to

Parker & Bailey

'Special Support Crew'

Aviafora is equally pleased to announce that we have ascribed Parker and Bailey as

founding members of our newly formed Dogs Who Love Gazelles club

Comment

• ​'Venom' a Malinois (aka Belgian Shepherd) with SA341C ZU-HBH (cn 1418) as seen at Rustenberg, South Africa in 2014

Comment

• Reports indicate that a team of South Africans are currently in Nigeria training Nigerian Air Force pilots how to operate the Gazelle.

The Gazelle is said to have entered operations with the NAF in February 2015. This is apparently the first time the NAF have operated the type.

The Gazelle is now being operated by Nigeria's Air Force

https://beegeagle.wordpress.com/2015...rld-exclusive/

Comment

• Yesterday in Norfolk:

Peter Unwin's SA341D Westland Gazelle G-CBSI (cn 1736) as seen at Northrepps Aerodrome in Norfolk on 14th March 2015
                                        (Photo: Graham Reeve)

Ex-RAF XZ934, although for most of her career she seems to have worn the red and white colours of the Central Flying School.

Perchance, can anyone offer an indication as to the number of Gazelles which remain in British military service?

Comment

• Comment

• Savoia
                                            Savoia commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Nice one XB! Is this airframe in France?
                                        Working...
                                        X