X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA342M manoeuvering at Santa Monica Airport in California:

Comment

• Views from Montenegro ..

Montenegro Air Force Soko SA342L-1 Hera 12943 (cn 163) as seen at Podgorica Airport on 9th September 2010 (Photo: Joop de Groot)

Comment

• Ah, 12943 one of the youngest Gazelles!

Gazelle I-PNIC resting at Verona Boscomantico Airport in March 17th, 2015 (Photo: Davide Olivati)

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice one! Although I apologise for the hangar at Boscomantico - it is in need of repainting, perhaps even re-building! Not all hangars in Italy look like this.

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, don't take it so personal. In fact I quite like it, it looks "rustic"

• G-LEDR Becomes G-OJCO

SA341C s/n 1081 was re-registered yesterday, and is now G-OJCO.

She has also received some new paint as can be seen below (courtesy of Steve).

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the update Zis/Steve.

• Elipix's friend Eddie Coventry departing North Weald over the weekend:

SA341C G-DFKI (cn 1216) as seen departing North Weald Aerodrome on 12th April 2015

Comment

• Brit Gaz

Empire Test Pilot's School SA341C XZ939 (cn 1750) as seen at Middle Wallop on 27th March 2015 (Photo: Chris Globe)

Comment

• #
            Serbian Police Gazelle fitted with 20mm gun - photo taken April 2015

Comment

• SA341D G-BXTH (cn 1120) as seen at Cardiff Airport (formerly RAF Rhoose) on 16th April 2015 (Photo: Hugh Trainer)

Comment

• Here's a Crabtree Gazelle seen flying without her engine cowlings. Over the last few pages there have been some examples of this - I suppose this is probably done when the aircraft has been serviced and post-maintenance test flights are taking place?

I wonder about the impact of the cowlings off on the machine's flying characteristics?

Comment

• xbdt
                  xbdt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not even the air intake screen installed, now the engine can ingest anything and be ruined in a split second.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So it's not without danger to fly it "partially stripped"

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, and from what we've learned, the Astazou isn't one of the cheapest turbines to replace! Be interesting to know if there are any Flight Manual speed limitations for flight without cowlings.

• A number of shots of YU-HWF at Denham coming in at the moment.

On the previous page I posted a shot of her with her covers on (below):

SA341G(S) YU-HWF (cn 1407) as seen at Denham Aerodrome on 28th March 2015 (Photo: Joe Evans)

Now there's a shot taken two days prior to the above photo, and where she has even more covers on:

SA341G(S) YU-HWF (cn 1407) as seen at Denham Aerodrome on 26th March 2015 (Photo: Alan Bushell)

Comment

• So which is the 'better' of the two covers shown in the above post?

The one in the bottom picture protects the air intake for the main gearbox and, presumably, prevents birds and other creatures from considering a temporary home there.

However, one thing to watch out for with the bottom cover is when, after having put it on, you get to the car park and the missus says .. "Oh darling, I've left my sunglasses in the back seat, do be a dear and get them for me!"

Comment

• If you look carefully, you should see a Gazelle (SN 022) among these photos.

Comment

• Ah yes, I see what you mean .. if you look carefully its true, you can in fact see a Gaz there!

RAF Gaz ..

RAF SA341D Gazelle ZB625 (cn 1905) as seen at Salisbury Plains Training Area on 9th April 2015 (Photo: Frontline Images)

Comment

• Trying to determine is this craft is a 341 .. or a 342, as there appears to be conflicting information.

Cn: 1294, D-HAIR, as seen in Germany in May 1978 (Photo: Pierrre Gillard)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                          Trying to determine is this craft is a 341 .. or a 342, as there appears to be conflicting information.
                          Look at her tail fin

W/o as such in December 1993

Comment

• Grazie Zis!

L'armée de Terre SA342 Departure

Comment

• Egyptian Air Force SA342's during Operation Nasr 13

Comment

• SA342M GJJ (cn 1855) as seen at Corneilla-la-Riviere in France on 10th April 2015 (Photo: Berthon Guillaume)

Comment

• Australian SA.341G s/n 1527 VH-VAS at Avalon in March 27th, 2007 (Photo: George Trussell)

This Gazelle started its career in 1978 as N9002Z with Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, then went to Australia in 1990 and become VH-GKK/MZH/ONE and finally VH-VAS with unknown owner (well, unknown to me )

Comment

• md600driver
                                    md600driver commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    1527 had an accident in Australia some years ago, after which her airframe was bought by the late Mark Weir. He had it overhauled and it flew again as HA-LFE.

She is still owned by the Weir family, until a decision is made on her disposal.

I have just returned from Australia, having purchased Ex-Navy Shark HT2 XX446. This is one of three which were originally sold to Christchurch. The cab was last registered in new zealand as ZK-HTF.

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Congratulations on your latest acquisition! Glad to know that XX446 will be returning to her homeland.

Thanks for the info regarding 1527... RIP Mark

• Ha ha .. welcome back Steve! And bravo on the latest addition to the Crabtree herd!

As I've said before .. you will surely travel to the ends of the earth to catch a Gaz!

Herewith, the latest Crabtree Gaz

SA341C ZK-HTF (cn WA1436) as seen at Harewood Road Heliport, Christchurch, on 10th November 2001 (Photo: Craig Murray)

Ex-Royal Navy XX446.

Oh .. and some 'registrational' trivia. As you know, several countries re-use their registrations .. so .. HTF now looks like this:

EC120B ZK-HTF (cn 1384) as seen over Auckland on 20th November 2004 (Photo: Ned Dawson)

Comment

• Jos Stevens, owner of Rotorspot, has just confirmed the news brought to us by Steve:

SA341C Westland Gazelle HT2 ZK-HTF cn. 1436 was registered as G-CIOW on 29th April 2015, and is the latest addition to the Crabtree stable.

Our thanks to Jos, and of course to Steve.

Comment

• md600driver
                                      md600driver commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      It's amazing that I only received notification by email from the CAA 15 mins ago .. and yet Jos knew yesterday .. and it's my helicopter !!!

• Savoia
                                      Savoia commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Lol ... oh boy .. that has made me laugh! Well, I think Jos' connections with the various aviation authorities is probably as good as it gets!

• ALOUETTE II CAB

Hi all Does anyone know of the whereabouts (for sale) of an Alouette II cabin or run out (out of time) Alouette II that has been parked-up in a hangar?

Comment

• Savoia
                                      Savoia commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Zis, will you contact Pierre or shall I? He (surely) knows the whereabouts of almost every Alo II cab in the world.

• Zishelix
                                      Zishelix commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Will forward to him, no problem.

• SA341D G-BXTH (cn WA1120) as seen at Kemble Aerodrome on 21st April 2015 (Photo: Paul Charles)

Ex-RAF XW866.

Comment

• Hi again! Anyone know where I can get hold of the most up-to-date Gazelle production list, including details of where specific aircraft are based?

Comment

• Savoia
                                        Savoia commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        I have begun working on a database, see here: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...zelle-database

The 'black hole' (from what I can understand) is Russia, where no one seems to know what's going on, and where no one seems to know how many craft are actually in the country. But, I don't think we are talking about great numbers here.

Anyone who is able to add any details to this database, please drop a note on the "Gazelle Database" thread which can be found via the above link.

• Regarding the database in your link, please be advised:

I-PTEC cannot be 1695, as I have this airframe here with data plate and log books (ex D-HOPP).

F-GJGT is now N624EL.

I suppose you trace only airworthy Gazelles? I have several carcasses and airframes here.

Comment

• Savoia
                                        Savoia commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        I shall investigate further regarding I-PTEC but .. better men than me have associated this construction number with the aircraft http://www.dgualdo.it/regs03/iptec.htm

Regarding the database, I think it is probably just as well to gather as much information as possible so, that being said, I shall create a 'de-registered' or historical section into which all the non-airworthy airframes can be registered.

However, none of this immediately helps Steve in his quest for an up-to-date listing .. Zis, have you any thoughts?

• md600driver
                                        md600driver commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        As Xavier has the aircraft, data plate, and log books .. it can't be 1695! Someone else has made a mistake.

I did a search on Jos's site for Gazelles and got quite a good list. I was trying to find out how many 341F's had been placed on the civil register.

• Savoia
                                        Savoia commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        You must be right Steve. Will try and find out what the score is regarding the construction number for I-PTEC.

Will also try and get what I can on F models.

• Seeing as we were discussing Australian Gazelles ..

National Parks and Wildlife Service SA341G VH-WLS (cn 1361) as seen at Griffith Airport in New South Wales in 1977

Comment

• Steve, this is what Jos has sent regarding 'F' models which have gone onto the civilian register, after having first served with the French military:

SA341F
                                        1037 F-ZARM
                                        1069 F-ZKBG
                                        1070 F-ZKBH
                                        1071 F-ZKBK
                                        (The above four cabs were French military test aircraft)
                                        1105 (Delivered to Tunisian military)

SA341F2
                                        1175 N341FG, ZU-RIH
                                        1197 1125, (9U)
                                        1198 N1198G
                                        1467 N1467G, ZU-RNE
                                        1540 N888GZ
                                        1541 N341MH
                                        1594 N341SH
                                        1597 ZU-HHP
                                        1598 N250KS
                                        1657 N657GZ
                                        1659 N659GZ, ZS-..., N659GZ, ZU-RLD
                                        1672 N918GZ
                                        1678 N678GZ, (ZS-...), N678GZ, ZU-RLE

Comment

• Ah, demobbed ALAT 341F's ... interesting theme.

Sav's list is mostly the same as what I have. It's a pity that AeroTec are not a little more "Gazelle-enthusiast-friendly" regarding the machines they have refurbished, or we might have a lot more information.

By the way, the F-Z... designations weren't "real" civilian Gazelles, but were just applied on specific military aircraft during test flights.

Comment

• Zis, did you happen to notice in the photo of VH-WLS (perhaps one of the first Gazelles in Australia) that she had no skylights (roof windows)?

Comment

• I did. Not surprised the pilot decided his cool head is more important than a roof window ... like these guys in the former Yugoslav Air Force - a little bit of adhesive foil, scissors and voilĂ  - a home-made sun shade!

Actually, I think WLS had a small transparent part on the pilot's side of the roof.

Comment

Working...
                                              X