Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More from Bourne Park ..

XX372 (cn WA1240) as seen at Bourne Park on 9th January 2016 (Photo: Howard Curtis)

Crabtree Gazelle G-CIOW (cn WA1436) ex-XX446 and XX450 (cn WA 1449) as seen at Bourne Park on 9th January 2016 (Photo: Howard Curtis)

SA341C G-DFKI (cn WA1216) as seen at Bourne Park on 9th January 2016 (Photo: Howard Curtis)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Bravo for Mr. Curtis, once again he was on the right place in the right time!

Thank you Sav as well

Ahh, Bourne Park... another interesting spot on my list for visit!

• Nigel F
      Nigel F commented
      Editing a comment
      DFKI Appears at 9:35 and also 25:20 In this Life swap Program https://youtu.be/m8hjv-h9GAY with the Previous owner

• N48284
      N48284 commented
      Editing a comment
      Howard was on one of our monthly tours of Bourne Park hosted by myself last Saturday. Details on these and more events at Bourne Park will soon be on our new website at www.gazellesquadron.co.uk

• SA342J HA-LFH (cn 1775) c.2009 (Photo: Chris Procter)

Seen here still wearing her 'long' skids.

Not sure of the location of this shot - but hopefully Steve may remember.

Comment

• Nigel F
      Nigel F commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like Bagby to me.

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie Nigel.

• More '505' ..

I think Zis may already have posted these via Steve, but Arnaud has also kindly sent them to me .. so here's another chance to see 505's unique passenger window as well as her instrument panel:

SA341G N505HA (cn 1301) showing rear passenger window closed

SA341G N505HA (cn 1301) showing rear passenger window open

Although not clear from the above photos (we shall post another shot soon) this modified rear window (adapted for camera work) necessitated a re-worked (and shorter) pilot's door.

505's panel

With many thanks to Arnaud!

Comment

• Slick Handiwork .. (or not, as the case may be)

I'm assuming this 'mess' beneath the filler cap is someone's attempt at adding a thin sheet of aluminium over the fuselage, perhaps necessitated by someone having left the cap off? Either way it looks a little untidy!

Notice the NATO fuel designations which you can read more about here.

GazEn, is this the access panel (opened) that Zis mentioned?

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope, that's the fuel tank access.

• GazEngineer
        GazEngineer commented
        Editing a comment
        It's just PRC sealant. Why they put it around there I don't know, but it soon cleans off.

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        It was to stop the filler cap denting the fuselage when hanging from its lanyard

• YU-HHS

One doesn't hear or see too much about this craft:

SA341G YU-HHS (cn WA1067) as seen at Stapleford on 3rd September 2012

Ex G-BAGL.

Comment

• Nigel F
        Nigel F commented
        Editing a comment
        I did my Gazelle conversion on BAGL, this was in 2001

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Great stuff Nigel!

This craft's pedigree includes having served for a time as a Westland demonstrator alongside G-BCHM.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

SA342J HA-LFH (cn 1775) c.2009 (Photo: Chris Procter)

Seen here still wearing her 'long' skids.

Not sure of the location of this shot - but hopefully Steve may remember.
      Nigel has it correct, it is Bagby, or as the locals call it, 'Bogby'.

Comment

• Grazie Steve!

Old Bags!

Seeing as G-BAGL cropped-up, and given that 'Bagby' has also been mentioned .. perhaps a little review of 'old bags' from pages past:

SA341G Westland Gazelle G-BAGJ (cn WA1039) as seen in 1978

SA341G Westland Gazelle G-BAGK (WA1065) as seen at Carlisle Airport on 4th June 1974 (Photo: Peter Nicholson)

SA341G Westland Gazelle (cn 1067) G-BAGL as seen attending the Badminton Horse Trials in Gloucestershire c. 1980
        (Photo: Stuart Mitchell)

Comment

• ZB627

SA341D ZB627 'A' (cn WA1914) as seen at RAF Odiham on 6th November 1992

627 seen here with a somewhat unique livery. Now with the Gazelle Squadron in RAF training colours.

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
            Gary Gazelle commented
            Editing a comment
            627 & 629 were used by 7 Sqn and were the last RAF Gazelles in service. They later had two AH1's for a short time.

• Road runners XZ930 and a Harrier front section arriving for display at the Battle of the Atlantic celebrations on Liverpool's Pier Head in May 24th, 2013 (Photo by Calflier001)

Comment

• Some interesting footage of the AAC's ZB668 during her UNFICYP mission back in 1991:

You can read more about ZB668 here.

Comment

• I see your Harrier nose Zis, and will match it with one from the Concorde.

SA341F F-MBSC as seen in the static display at the Paris Air Show on 31st May 1975

The Concorde nose belongs to F-WTSA and behind that is an Aérospatiale Corvette F-BUAS.

I'm not entirely sure of the construction number of this Gaz, as two have been proffered in various locations .. cn. 1282 and 1518 but, given the year, I'm inclined to go with the former.

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                It's 1282. The confusion is because s/n 1518 (also with the same reg) was at the Le Bourget '77 exhibition.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie Zis!

• An excellent photo of two Benegaz birds posing in the air!

Photo taken at Ursel Airport by Jarne Ronse in June 27th, 2015.

Comment

• Departing Church Fenton last year:

https://www.facebook.com/CitizenStar...3574637193115/

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lovely stuff!

• F-GIBU

SA342J(S) F-GIBU (cn 1470) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 17th September 2004 (Photo: Gary Morris)

Ex-G-IBME, now N342WF.

And in other news ..

Apache Instructor Loved the Chicken Leg

"I loved the Gazelle because it’s so agile, fun to fly and was my first helicopter" — said Chris Hearn, an instructor with the Army Air Corps.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ap...kpit_1_4384157

Comment

• More Old BAGz ..

G-BAGL as seen in different schemes:

all photos from the Helipixman collection

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah Elipix, welcome back! Lovely to see these photos, bravo!

Would love to know more about Helicopter Services. I wonder if it is the same outfit as currently based at Booker?

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can always count on Elipix for rare pics of UK Gazelles Much appreciated!

• E340 s/n 1883 preserved in the "Fuerzas Especiales No.9" military base, the parachute department of Ecuadorean special forces. Photo taken in November 16th, 2015 by Sir Hofma.

This poor Gazelle has definitely seen better days!

Comment

• Rotorspot
                    Rotorspot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A little misunderstanding here. This is c/n 1883, painted with fake serial 'A.E.E.340' on the vertical fin. Its real serial is unknown. Serial E340, which was c/n 1886, was w/o in an accident on 24-Feb-1996.

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done Jos!

The craft (what's left of it) is a bit of a mess. No engine, blanked-out windows, and it seems as if someone's put some 'hairspray' on her rotors, because they would usually be more 'droopy'.

• I came across this UK Army Gazelle image and wonder about meaning of these three stars on its nose. The photo is from mid 1980s, I think.

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting. I haven't seen much "star decorated" Gazelles

By the way, how the stars were attached on the battery cover (stickers)?

• Fene Strong
                    Fene Strong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Missed this one, the stars were attached by wing nuts and locked with a clip, the stars had a threaded portion. The battery cover had 5 holes in it and was only fitted when using the stars (unused holes taped up).

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FS, much appreciate your kind explanation regarding 'nose stars' on Army Gazelles!

• Helicopter Services Ltd

This company had an address at: 30 Weston Industrial Estate, Winterstoke Road, Weston Super mare BS24 9BP and I believe it was a training subsidiary of Westland Helicopters Ltd - so no connection to the Helicopter Services at Booker (Leon Smith)

Their fleet consisted of:-
                  G-BKLS 11.1.83 to 21.1.88 Sold to J.W. Davy
                  G-BKLT 11.1.83 to 3.12.87 Sold to Blades Helicopters Ltd
                  G-BKLU 1.2.83 to 3.12.87 Sold to Blades Helicopters Ltd
                  G-BKLV 1.2.83 to 21.12.87 Sold to George Milford Haven becoming G-UTZY with Davinci Aviation Ltd
                  G-BKLW 11.1.83 to 14.4.86 Sold to International Trust Corporation Ltd as G-MANN (Roger Mansfield was a director)
                  G-BAGL This was never registered to Helicopter Services so was operated by them.

Of interest another company Bristol Helicopters based at Westland Works had G-BCHM registered to them 28.11.83 to 5.3.92 and operated under the Westland AOC

Have photos of the G-BKL Gazelles and will post them once scanned.

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done Elipix. Now that you mention the industrial estate in Weston I seem to recall this may have cropped-up previously. I know that BAGL and BCHM were used at various times by Westland for sales promotion/public relations duties.

• SA341B XX378/Q (cn WA1258), belonging to 670 Squadron, as seen amidst several other Gazelles at Middle Wallop on 15th June 1996 (Photo: Ian Older)

Comment

• Other BAG's (British Army Gazelles)

Cadets Go Gaz Flying

A British Army Gazelle, flown by Captain David Macklin, of the Army Air Corps, landed at Haileybury and Imperial Service College taking around 20 of the school's CCF cadets for a flight.

Haileybury and Imperial Service College

The school stated that the cadets who flew with the Army Air corps were fifth and sixth formers who had shown great levels of commitment and enthusiasm towards their Combined Cadet Force (CCF) training. "It was a unique opportunity to get a feel for what it is like to be in the Army" said one of the cadet instructors.

The AAC Gazelle which visited Haileybury and Imperial Service College on 20th January 2016

The CCF at Haileybury and Imperial Service College has a history dating back to 1886, and has sections for the Royal Navy, British Army and the Royal Air Force.
                    https://www.haileybury.com/news/ccf-...rps-helicopter

Comment

• SA341B XX456 (cn WA1465) belongng to the AAC's 3 Flight, as seen at RAF Leuchars in September 2008 (Photo: Barry Farquharson)

Indications are that this craft 'seems' to be held in storage by the MoD.

Another take on 456 coming soon!

Zis/Jos: Do you have this production list of mil ships? My personal favourite is cn. 1008 which apparently belongs to the government of 'Jugoslavakia'!

Comment

• Rotorspot
                        Rotorspot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I am aware of that website. That page shows a whole range of 'Jugoslavakia' helicopters (23 in total).

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol yes, great stuff!

• SA341G HB-XIL (cn WA1039) as seen at Buttwil Airport in Switzerland on 6th June 1982 (Photo: Peter Frei via Markus Herzig)

Seen in the above photo while in the care of Air Zermatt.

Sadly, she was written-off two years after this photo after encountering a form of the dreaded 'Tail Swing Bite' while flying as G-SFTA.

This craft was originally Westland's G-BAGJ.

Comment

• Was someone looking a while back for the engineers training book?

Comment

• Mr Atherton arriving at Bourne Park yesterday.

N901B SA341G Gazelle 23/1/2016 by Andrew Morley

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice one Andy! (Except for those watermarks of course! - only kidding - we appreciate these shots).

Steve, the customised nose on '901' .. is there any noticeable difference in terms of visibility compared with a 'normal' Gaz? I don't suppose so given that this modification is immediately in front of the instrument panel, but would be interesting to know.

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well done Andy! A desktop photo, indeed

• Gazelles in France

SA341G F-BVUI (cn 1122) as seen in France c. late 70’s (Photo: Frédéric Rolland)

"My, what droopy rotors you have!"

Gaz Reminders
                          • See RA-1558G on the Gazelles For Sale thread, perhaps you can assist in uncovering her construction number?
                          • Steve is enquiring whether anyone is interested in a Gazelle Engineer's Training Manual?

Comment

• - Special Offer for Aviafora Readers -

Thanks to Savoia for allowing some 'advertising' here.

I am pleased to make a special offer to Aviafora readers for my latest copy of the combined Aérospatiale/Soko production list for both SA341 and SA342 Gazelles (civil and military). This list shows details of the aircraft type, its serial number as well as the complete known history of its registration record.

I can offer this list in either XLS, CSV or plain text format. Please indicate your preference.

If you would like to receive a free copy of this list you may email me at: rotorspot@yahoo.com

And a reminder to those who are interested in other helicopter types: I have over 150,000 civil registration entries, for both current and historical helicopters on my website at http://www.rotorspot.nl or click on the ad below:

Comment

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you Jos, keep up the good work!

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Si, grazie Jos. A great resource for all Gazellers!

• Syrian Gazelles

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Some nice (and rare) footage there Zis!

Does anyone speak Russian?

• XW855 .......

Comment

• Gazelle Engineer Required - Andover, Hampshire

Skilled rotary-wing engineer required with airframe and engine experience on the SA341 Gazelle.

Duties will involve base maintenance / strip downs / full servicing / systems replacement & modifications with all work being carried-out in compliance with UK military standards.

Applicants should have previous experience of deep maintenance procedures.

Ongoing contract involves between 40-50 hours per week.
                            http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/helicopte...anics/28845890

Comment

• S/N: 1728

SA341D N931XZ (former RAF XZ931/R) above Grand Prairie Municipal Airport, Texan on July 10th, 2009. Photo: Zane Adams

Since 2015 flying in South Africa as ZU-HGZ.

Comment

Working...
                              X