No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341B Westland Gazelle XZ349-M (cn WA1720) as seen at RNAY Fleetlands on 9th June 1979 (Photo: Robin Walker)

AAC training bird.

Don't forget to 'like' and 'follow' us on FB!

Comment

• Hello to members of Aviafora

My name is Vitaly and I am the owner of the Gazelle RA-05714. I also own a Robsinson R44 and for something different I have also bought a Bell Huey, yes a real American Huey in Russia!

I made an account with this forum early in the year but this is my first post and which I make because somebody leave a message on my YouTube account with a link to this forum showing my video of RA-05714 taking off from snow, so now I decide to write here.

You will please excuse my English, for it is not my best language.

There are two girls in my life, firstly my wife and then there is my Gazelle registration 714 and you can see them together with me in the photo below.

Mine is a Gazelle built by Soko from their Mostar factory in Serbia and I will also put some more photos for you.

I am interested in the Gazelle and to meet other people with this interest and I like also to join your online Gazelle club.

I send regards from Russia.

Vitaly

Comment

• Warty
        Warty commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like the colour and paint finish - the Gazelles I worked with were always so dull! Have a good Christmas. Greetings from Spain :0

• Dear Vitaly

A warm welcome to Aviafora!

We are very glad to have you with us.

It was me who left a comment and link on your You Tube channel! This was a lovely video, bravo!

Your profile info says you are from Valdivostok and I am wondering if you know about this Gazelle which is also supposed to be in your area? This is an ex-Italian Gazelle, I-LDAV, and which seems to have found its way to Eastern Russia.

Also, did you hear about the Gazelle in Moscow which is being towed around on a trailer?

I am sure you will get to know some of our members who are also Gazelle owners and hope that you will find your visits here interesting.

Once again welcome aboard!

Regards

Sav

Comment

• Hello Vitaly!

I'm so glad you decide to join Aviafora. We miss a Gazelle enthusiast from your part of the world.

If I'm right, your machine is serial number 052. So here is a photo from her early days when she served as a military training helicopter back in the early 1980's.

Looking forward to see more pics of your Gazelle here!

Comment

• Second Gazelle Down in Syria

A second Syrian Air Force Gazelle has been destroyed at an Air Base near Palmyra in central Syria yesterday.

The helicopter is reported to have been hit by a ZU-23-2 anti-aircraft autocannon.

Both crew members, Brigadier General Hussein Khader and Lt. Col. Abbas Younis, perished in the attack.

The last attack on a Syrian Gazelle occurred on 2nd September which we reported here.

Brigadier General Hussein Khader who was killed in yesterday's attack

Lt. Col. Abbas Younis who was killed in yesterday's attack

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article...itants-killed/

Comment

• SA341B Westland Gazelle RA-05703 (cn WA1524) as seen 'somewhere' in Russia

Perhaps Vitaly can assist us in identifying this Gaz driver?

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
              Perhaps Vitaly can assist us in identifying this Gaz driver?
              This looks a bit odd to me:

Has the perspex been sprayed? Has an extra bit of red dural been added? Has it been badly Photoshopped?

Comment

• Warty
                Warty commented
                Editing a comment
                PS: small world - I may well have worked on this cab. If it used to be XZ299 then it would have been in Saillagouse in late 1978 and Norway in early 1979. It still has the perspex for the GOA, which makes it a bit of a giveaway that it hasn't always been civilian.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Small world indeed Warty for she is indeed ex-XZ299!

I also wondered about this photo, but mainly because of what seemed to be the 'wobbly' white line separating the grey from the red.

• Originally posted by Warty View Post
              Has it been badly Photoshopped?
              Looks like it's not Photoshopped.

Comment

• Warty
                Warty commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, this one makes it look like it's been sprayed over the perspex.

Small world indeed Warty for she is indeed ex-XZ299!
              Yes it's 299. I bought her as a scrapped shell from a scrap dealer and got her rebuilt and registered as G-CDXE and sold her to Russia where the new owner painted her this way and yes - it's painted over the Perspex.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha, ah well Warty, if you hadn't already noticed you can't tread to far into a Gaz topic before encountering the ubiquitous 'Crabtree Gazelles' and which of course is just wonderful!

Great stuff Steve!

• Savoia thank you for welcome to Aviafora, I am happy to be of your group.

I-LDAV is now RA-2520G and is here in the east of Russia as you say and I know the owner. I put photo below.

I do not know the pilot for RA-05703 but I know it is operate in the Moscow area and owned by the Sochi Air Group. I also put photo.

I thank you to Zishelix for the photo of my helicopter before and will put more photos of my Gazelle.

Now I go with my family on winter vacation to the Taiga so I will not come to your forum so much because the only communication is via satellite.

To let you know in my neighboring town of Arsenyev is where the Kamov Ka-50 "Black Shark" and Ka-52 "Alligator" is produced. I put video below.

I wish members of Aviafora a Merry Christmas but in Russia you know we do not have Christmas until January.

Good wishes

Vitaly

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Vitaly thank you for your good wishes, we also wish you and your family a pleasant and safe trip to the Taiga. We are glad to have you as a member of the forum and look forward to reading more about your Gazelle and flying activities.

Thank you also for these photos and for the information about the Kamov.

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Vitaly, have a good Taiga time!

• ...Let the Snow Gazelles Commence!

4 Regiment Army Air Corp Westland Gazelle XX398 (cn 1318) conducting winter training in the mountain region above Bardufoss in Norway on 3rd March 2006

SA341G HB-ZEU (cn 1111) as seen at Samedan in Switzerland on 9th January 2005 (Photo: Marco Pianca)

The Snow Gazelle Rules:

* So long as there is a Gazelle and some snow, it qualifies
              * Past Snow Gazelles may be re-posted at will

Comment

Let the Snow Gazelles Commence!

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha .. well done Warty!

Zis, Warty posted only the second photo I have ever seen with a Gaz being slung by a Sea King. The first photo I have of a Gaz under a Sea King is with a CBAS Gaz on the hook, and it's XX413 but .. it is wearing the letter 'Z'.

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think she was 'R' coded between 1975 and early '80s, later marked 'Z'.

• Warty
                  Warty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not convinced that this is an actual 3CBAS cab. Maybe it was borrowed or sent out for trials by the boffins that thought it would be able to land in deep snow without any problems. The thing is, the codes P, Q, *R*, S, T, and U were assigned to Brunei Flight - which were all Scouts at the time.

• It's a Snow-Gazelles-time again! Sav's favourite!

So let me submit John Biczok's C-GSHL pic from April this year:

Shirley Helicopters Gazelle in the Ogilvie Mountains, Yukon, Canada in June 1979 (Photo: John Biczok)

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lovely to see this 'Shirley bird' again!

• F-HGUN

SA342J F-HGUN (cn 1058) as seen at Courchevel Altiport on 2nd March 2014 (Photo: Gilles Paccalet) Formerly HB-ZFD

Comment

• Heli Cap SA.341G F-BVUI s/n 1122 in the French Alps, 1978 (Photo: Frédéric Rolland)

Comment

Comment

• As another year draws to its close, so too the opportunity to express thanks to those who support our little community.

That Aviafora has become something of a support system for 'Shrieking Gazelles' has been an unexpected but not altogether unpleasant development - one which has resulted in the accrual of far more Gazelle images than I initially bargained for!

My big thanks to Zishelix for his ongoing support throughout the year, driven (I am sure) by his seemingly unquenchable enthusiasm for the Gaz! To our 'regulars' including XB, Steve, Elipix, Jos and Fene Strong, great thanks are extended together with thanks to our occasional contributors including GazEngineer, Andy and others.

We are glad to have welcomed Warty into the fray in recent months and to have benefited from some of his unique images - Warty many thanks! Significant too is that Warty has kindly offered to help maintain the momentum on 'Shrieking Gazelles' and so, God willing, we shall see more of him in the coming year!

It could be 'something in the air' or perhaps some other reason, but December has seen a small flurry of activity by those joining the forum or, as is mainly the case, those making their first post! Among these are Goose and TR Wright who we hope to hear from again, as well as Vitaly who has kindly and very openly begun sharing with us his passion for helicopters and the Gaz in particular!

At the same time over on Rotary Nostalgia we are glad to welcome Velar and Hoveratsix both of whom join our compliment of Scottish-based members.

I was very pleased to hear of Andy's plans to mark the 50th Anniversary of the first flight of the Gazelle through a special fly-in at Middle Wallop which he is planning for 8th April next year, and wish him and those involved every success. My hope is that there will be a great turn out for this once-in-a-lifetime commemoration!

Last but by no means least, enormous thanks to Aviafora's co-owner and my partner in this venture, Phil Croucher, who kindly continues to host this site. Grazie mille Filippo!

It doesn't require extraordinary insight to be able to observe that the world around us is changing, in a manner and at a pace which, if maintained, is likely to result in some testing times ahead. For what it's worth, my gut instinct tells me that this is a time to prepare, as best as one can, for the unexpected.

Like so much in life, Christmas is what we make it, and this time of the year provides a wonderful opportunity to invest in that most valuable of treasures - our family. To express those things we sometimes fail to say or do, to let bygones be bygones and to appreciate the gift of our loved ones.

To our members and our readers, I extend every good wish for a blessèd Christmas together with happiness for the coming year.

Sav

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done Sav, nice review of the forum activity! Thanks for helping to keep things flowing.

• Another little Christmas tradition is to watch (at least once) the 'Courchevel Citation'

- so if you haven't yet done so, here's the link!

Comment

Comment

• New X-Bird: N341GG

SA341G N341GG (cn 1181) as seen at Kotrijik-Wevelgem Airport on 9th December 2016 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

Previously N341WC.

Zis, note the similarity in colours to 3A-MPR, G-RIFF and D-HAAK.

New boom, new nose perspex new skids?

Considering calling this one 'The Flying Horse!'

Comment

• xbdt
                            xbdt commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This was not N341WC before, N341WC is 1188 where mine is 1181. Yes all new perspex and of course other parts to make it airworthy again. I have sold N341GG and will be painting her black in January.

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ah yes 1181, my mistake (could have been a premonition of her future colour though! ). Thank you for the clarification. Ex C-FEDG, very nice. You are building-up a history with ex-Canadaian Gazelles!

Well done XB, you've done a nice job on her! Shame to hear that she will loose her colours but there we are, whatever makes the owner happy!

Merry Christmas.

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A rare opportunity to see a new Gazelle... and with this (temporary but still) interesting patchwork painting.

Well done XB!

• Beware of the Gazelle!

Probably G-EHUP under the cover.

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            G-EHUP (now YU-HWF) in a shark suit, whatever next!

This of course should have be the standard coverall for the RN Sharks!

• New Snow Gaz

L'armée de Terre SA341F 'ASG' as seen in the Southern French Alps c. 1980's

A new addition to the 'Snow Gazelles' collection. Note the nose-mounted antenna as per the British Army Gazelles.

Does anyone know how many 341's l'armée de Terre used to operate?

Comment

• View from the office!

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nice one Zis!

• ALAT Gazelle Viviane being refuelled at Camp Nijrab, Afghanistan in December 2012

Comment

• Arctic Commando Gazelles

Nice though the snow is . . . .

The first arctic trials for the Gazelle were carried out in January 1977. One thing that the trials brought out straight away was that standard skids were not broad enough to support a Gaz in deep snow.

A few aircraft from 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron on its way from Plymouth to Vaernes, Norway in January 1979. Looks just like a Christmas card. The only two cabs identifiable in this are "M" (XX380, c/n 1268 of Kangaw Flight) and "X" (XX411, c/n 1359 of Montforterbeek Flight).

The take-off and landings can be quite spectacular with the snow blasting around. This shot has a bit of a late JMW Turner look about it.

A month or so later, and I think it was a lot further north, we see what can happen when there is a bit too much snow in your life. Pootling along a fjord relying on rad-alt (because of zero visibility) is a reasonable plan until you you encounter a snow-drift or the shore. This was XX377 (c/n 1257), the "L" is just about visible on the tail. "They had a cold night, but no lives were in danger."

This is her in an upright position - the year before at Coypool, Plymouth.

The replacement for "L" (in Kangaw Flight), after this incident, was XW912 (c/n 1231). XW912 is now retired as a training aid at SEAE Arborfield, Berkshire. Although it looks in pretty poor condition here, XX377 did eventually go back into service - but with 656 Squadron AAC - only to be shot down in a Falklands "friendly fire" incident with a loss of all four on board.

Getting back to the snow theme, XX376 "K" (also from Kangaw Flight) was also spotted at an unknown time and place - probably in Norway, 1978 or later, because of the ski-pads. XX376 (c/n 1254), which made it through the Falklands, crashed and was written off in Germany in September 1983.

Some Gazelles in the snow . . .

With some Lynx as well, but they tended to operate together - Gazelles acting as spotters, finding targets for the TOW-missile-equipped Lynx.

Note: rather than put things like "AFAIK" in front of each and every statement and snippet I have simply written what I understand to be the case. Feel free to add any info or suggest corrections
                              Last edited by Warty; 3rd January 2017, 21:11.

Comment

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Some nice classic images and some very interesting info. Thanks Warty!

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ah yes, Turner's lost 'Gazelles in Winter' - fantastic!

Some great shots there Warty. Lovely to see the Scout alongside the Gaz in two shots.

Nice to see the Union Jack below the rear window on 'R'.

I am wondering just how much depression the Gaz would make (fitted with snow-skis) on loosely packed snow, perhaps half a foot or a foot?

XX377 .. I seem to recall a past discussion (not sure if it was ever resolved) concerning this bird. She ultimately seems to have been the unintended victim of two Sea Dart missiles from HMS Cardiff on 6th June 1982, so this was obviously beforehand, although I haven't yet read any reports about her falling over in the snow.

Her sister-ship XX378 was part of a three cab pile-up involving white-out conditions in Voss, Norway, on 24th February (also in 1982).

• Sav, as this and some other shots show - it would continue sinking until the belly-panel touched the snow. Not too much of a problem if you weren't staying for long!

I do remember the XX377 incident as I discussed it with the driver in the Squadron bar afterwards. I remember him being a bit embarrassed about it, what with being a QHI and all.

Comment

• Warty
                                Warty commented
                                Editing a comment
                                PS: don't think XX378 was a 3CBAS cab.

'I seem to recall a past discussion' . . .
                                I have come across this on another forum about this particular photograph but I think that discussion didn't bear in mind that:
                                - It's about a different aircraft (377 vs 378)
                                - It's about different years (1979 vs 1982)
                                - The incidents are about 1,000 km apart (Bardufoss vs Voss).

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie mille Warty, thanks for clarifying this!

• An idyllic photo and a nice addition to the 'Snow Gazelles' collection courtesy of Steve.

SA.341G(S) HA-PJB s/n 1293 with SA.342J s/n 1663 in the background at Crab Tree Farm in March 2016.

At long last my quest to identify this brown and orange Gazelle (see my initial enquiry here) is over!

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Beautiful! Grazie Steve and Zis!

• Rotorspot
                                Rotorspot commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Of course HA-PJB is c/n 1392 (instead of 1293).

Happy New Year to all Aviaforans.

• XX380

. . . a close relative of the other two recently mentioned cabs (XX377 + 378) from the class of '74 at Westlands. Photo is by Anders Forseth, 26 January 2004 in Bardufoss, Norway. It's a nice low-sun shot but, then again, at that time of year in Bardufoss there is not a lot of daylight.

For Zis, who seems to follow these things, it spent most of its career with an "M" on its tail (Kangaw Flight ?). Sometime in 1994 it changed to "A". Don't know if that's because it changed flights or they changed the lettering system. After a lengthy service it was retired in 2005 and now serves as a gate guard at Wattisham. Strangely, it now has "ARMY" painted on the side even though AFAIK, it never did time with anyone other than 3CBAS/847NAS.
                              Last edited by Warty; 3rd January 2017, 21:13.

Comment

• Warty
                                Warty commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Bardufoss was (is ?) just a base of operations. A good part of exercise Clockwork would be spent out it the snow in vehicles, tents, bivvies, snowholes. Arctic survival training was also a reason for being there. Actually, survival training was a pleasant break because the food was better than in a Norwegian barracks.

In 1979, the Squadron went Plymouth >> Deal >> France >> Belgium >> Netherlands >> Germany >> Denmark >> Norway on the way out. Worst bit was over the sea as we had to wear immersion suits in case of ditching. I think it was due to being single-engined that made people cautious - fair enough. Survival time, in the event of ditching, was probably measured in minutes or less without immersion suits but they were extremely uncomfortable to wear.

On the return trip it was via HMS Hermes direct >> Plymouth. Good food. Played bridge almost non-stop for several days.

Timings might run from early January to late March with pre-exercise mountain flying training carried out in southern France in the previous December.

• Warty
                                Warty commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Sunshine in Bardufoss: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/bardufoss
                                Can only get better than it is at the moment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Grazie Warty! Sounds like a 'fun' place, lol! I read many moons ago about a Lapland bakery which operated for only three months of the year as apparently 60% of the local population had their birthdays between August and October, I think the headline to the piece was 'Something to do with the weather' or variations on that theme!

From what I remember the North Sea life-expectancy without an immersion suit in winter was 3 mins (could be wrong) so yes, they are vital to life in the event of ditching and yes, they are rather uncomfortable!

Great to hear though that you 'overlanded' to Norway, that must otherwise have been an enjoyable trip, not least of all presumably following the Norwegian coast up to Bardufoss.

• Originally posted by Warty View Post
                              XX380 For Zis, who seems to follow these things, it spent most of its career with an "M" on its tail (Kangaw Flight ?). Sometime in 1994 it changed to "A". Don't know if that's because it changed flights or they changed the lettering system. After a lengthy service it was retired in 2005 and now serves as a gate guard at Wattisham. Strangely, it now has "ARMY" painted on the side even though AFAIK, it never did time with anyone other than 3CBAS/847NAS.
                              Correct, also marked '33B' in 1988 and '13A' a year later.

XX380 as gate guard at Wattisham in October 2016 (Photo: Phil Adkin)

Comment

• Serbia has announced today the purchase of nine H145M helicopters with an accompanying logistical support package.

The contract signed between the Government of Serbia and Airbus Helicopters also involves "equipping, training and certification of the Aviation institute ‘Moma Stanojlovic’ as a maintenance center for the Gazelle helicopters!"

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  So .. big 'Moma' is finally to receive Airbus certification! I suppose this will translate into a price hike for all their future Gaz work!
                              Working...
                              X