No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sav, it's just a case of making a "texture file". Typically this is a .png file (especially if there needs to be some transparent elements) or it could be a .jpg

Here is an example of one that you might use as a template:

which would produce:

You could think of a "texture file" as a kind of wrapping paper.

As for how much time it would take - that would depend a lot on how complicated your design was and how competent you were with the software. If I had to put a figure on the time needed I'd say hours rather than days or minutes

Personally I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator plus AC3D for modelling. Freeware options would include Gimp and Blender. A Gazelle 3D model file is available for free (open source) from FGUK for FlightGear.

Edit: here a photo of the real one (from Brian Spur):

formerly a 341D HT.3 (c/n WA1728) XZ931(G) RAF, then N931XZ then ZU-HGZ
    Last edited by Warty; 7th January 2017, 16:28.

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like, beside computer proficiency, it requires quite artistic skills as well Well done Warty!

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah Warty, you are a man of many talents! Great stuff and many thanks for the explanation.

• - SPECIAL OFFER TO READERS OF AVIAFORA -

Rotorspot is pleased to make available our 2017 Gazelle production list. This list is an aggregated production list for Aérospatiale, Westland and Soko built Gazelles and details the registration and serial number of each Gazelle together with the aircraft's historical registration records.

Distinctions are made between various SA341 and SA342 models, civilian and military, stretched variants, as well as the known status of the aircraft (whether it is operational, withdrawn from use, written-off, etc.).

This list is being offered exclusively to readers of 'Shrieking Gazelles' as part of the ongoing cooperation between Rotorspot and Aviafora and is available in various formats.

Our 2017 Gazelle production list contains numerous updates and revisions from last year's list, also including new historical data that have come to light.

For your free copy send an email to rotorspot@yahoo.com and please remember to state your preference of format (XLS, CSV or plain text).

Rotorspot currently provides more than 154,600 civil helicopter registration entries, for both current and historical helicopters.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      We are very grateful to Jos for making this resource available to our readers. Grazie Jos!

If you are a Gazelle enthusiast or even if you would like to follow a little more closely the conversations on this thread when it comes to the aircraft involved, then I highly recommend getting a copy of this list as it is an excellent resource.

• Jos, thanks for making this resource available, we appreciate it.

The FGUK Development team created an interesting 'texture file' for FS Gazelle.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      This would have been ideal for the 'British Independence Gazelle' post last year!

• More G-MANN

All images from Helipixman collection (Top two by GL and bottom by Helipixman)
    Last edited by Winco Sav; 9th October 2018, 07:05.

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Magnifico Elipix! Buon Anno!!!

Are you able to identify the logo on the rear door of the 'MANN in red'?

I wonder if the bottom shot is at Stapleford? Can't recognise the buildings in the background of the top shot, would otherwise have guessed Battersea.

Off-piste: While over on the Nostalgia Thread, Elipix has performed his 'photo magic' once again!
      See here > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=6780#post6780

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely images! Thanks for sharing, Helipix!

Let's hope some of her N-regd pics will pop-up here someday

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Top shot is Battersea and bottom shot was at Helitech Duxford.

• Gaz Ops. African Style!

Following on from our story in May last year discussing the delivery of Gazelles to Malawi, Aviafora's Southern Africa correspondent visited the Malawi Army Air Wing to discover how their Gazelle operations are progressing.

Herewith is an extract from our interview with Air Marshall Balaclava Lilongwe of Malawi's Army Air Wing:

Aviafora's Southern Africa correspondent (AF): How has the Gazelle been received into the Air Wing by your crews and by those who are involved with this helicopter?
    Air Marshall Lilongwe (AML): First of all, and on behalf of the Malawi Air Wing I would like to thank Aviafora and especially Zishelix for your 'Shrieking Gazelles' thread. I think you were one of the first to report of the delivery of our Gazelles and we always enjoy reading about the Gazelle on your forum. To answer your question, our pilots like the Gazelle because many of them have only flown the AS350/355, and while the Gazelle is a little smaller they enjoy its handling qualities as well as the chance to fly something different. I think our Gazelles may actually fly just a little bit faster (by a handful of knots) than the AS350 and they also like this.

AF: Is there anything about the Gazelle that your crews have highlighted as being something they especially appreciate or prefer?
    AML: Yes, almost all of them have said they like the noise it makes.
    AF: I see. Is this the noise it makes inside or outside?
    AML: I think they are talking about the sound it makes from the outside, the sound after which Zishelix named his thread!
    AF: Oh, okay, that is interesting to know.
    AML: Our mechanics have said the same thing by the way.
    AF: Really? You mean about the sound of the Gazelle?
    AML: Yes exactly.
    AF: Is there anything else your mechanics like about the aircraft?
    AML: I think they like the fact that is isn't so high off the ground. Some of our mechanics don't like standing on long ladders or work stands which are very high, so being closer to the ground helps them.

AF: Okay. What about those who use the Gazelle who are not crew, have they expressed any opinions about how the aircraft performs or serves their requirements?
    AML: Some of the soldiers as well as others who have been transported in the Gazelle have said they like the helicopter, again many of them have commented on the sound it makes, they know it is us coming when they hear the helicopter because they say it has a special sound. In fact our soldiers call it 'Mluzu Nkhuku Mwendo'.
    AF: Mluzu Nkhuku Mwendo?
    AML: Yes, it means whistling chicken leg in Chichewa.
    AF: I see.

AF: We heard that in September last year you were involved in transporting the Jamaican reggae artist Glendale Gordon, better known as 'Busy Signal'?
    AML: Yes, he came to Malawi and we flew him to some of the locations he visited.
    AF: Does the Defence Force make a habit of transporting visiting musicians?
    AML: Not really a habit as such, but we consider ourselves to be the 'people's defence force' and therefore took the decision to assist 'Busy Signal', and also for security reasons.

AF: From the photos we have seen of this event it appears as if you branded one of your helicopters especially for this mission!
    AML: Yes, we decided that if we were going to provide such air support that we should do it properly and professionally.

AF: I see. Speaking of professionalism we were also able to see a video of one of the landings you made while delivering 'Busy Signal' to a venue where (presumably) his fans were waiting.
    AML: Ah yes, that was probably when we dropped him at the Game Complex.
    AF: Looking at the video don't you think there may have been an issue with crowd control?
    AML: [Laughs] Oh no, you have to understand this is Africa! The people will scatter!
    AF: Scatter?
    AML: Yes, you see this again is where the Gazelle's special sound helps us, you could even call it a strategic safety device!
    AF: A strategic safety device?
    AML: Prescisely!
    AF: Would you be able to explain a little more about this?
    AML: Of course. I don't know if you have noticed, but our Gazelles are not fitted with mufflers.
    AF: Yes I have seen this. But I don't quite understand?
    AML: [Laughs loudly] Ah, you have much to learn I can see! Because there are no mufflers on our air intakes it means this special Gazelle sound is even louder! Don't you see?
    AF: I am trying to. I think it must be the heat. Please can you explain further.
    AML: [Shakes head] Well, the louder Gazelle sound drives the people away, this is why you can call it a strategic safety device!
    AF: I see. From the video it didn't appear as if the people were driven back very far?
    AML: Well some people are hard of hearing and some are just not paying attention.
    AF: Okay, what happens then?
    AML: Dust!
    AF: Dust?
    AML: Yes dust. When we land there is a lot of dust created and this will push the people back.
    AF: I see.
    AML: Yes, it works very well.

AF: From what we saw it seemed as if people were approaching the helicopter immediately after you landed. Does this concern you at all?
    AML: [Laughs again] Some of these people are very excited and we cannot control them like a machine, they are people. But I think you know that the blades can bend very low and this also will keep them away.
    AF: I see. Hopefully no one encountered any low-bending blades?
    AML: No no. No one was hurt and we don't want anyone to be hurt, but they must also learn to respect the helicopter and to give it distance. In future I think people will hear the special Gazelle sound and know that they must keep back.
    AF: And if they don't?
    AML: Then we have the dust and the blades!

AF: Air Marshall Lilongwe, we thank you for taking the time to speak with us and wish you and the Army Air Wing every success in your future Gazelle operations.
    AML: [Laughs very loudly] You are most welcome. Come back any time and keep posting information about Gazelles, and try to include more Gazelles from Africa!

Jamaican reggae artist 'Busy Signal' with Malawi Army Air Wing pilots in September 2016

The Air Wing 'insert' Busy Signal into a local shopping complex

The Malawi Army Air Wing in action

Source material for this 'Special Report' provided by Zishelix.

Note: In case it isn't obvious, this post is satirical (or attempts to be!).

Comment

• md600driver
      md600driver commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have been frighten stiff that one of them would get the blades stuck in his head !!!!!!

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, no Safety Standards - no Safety Issues!

• I cannot see the images posted through Google and people need a google account to see these, so it may be better to use an upload service as postimage.org or similar.

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Also having problem to see the parts Warty noted. Sav, please check and re-post images if necessary!

• Helipixman
      Helipixman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi all

I am also having the same problems with my own photos i.e the Gazelle G-MANN and Dauphin photos on the other Nostalgia thread. I think the problem is with Picasa web albums it re-directs to a new site Google photos. I could see the images sometimes and then go back and they were gone ? This does not seem to want to work. Will check out Postimage.org and see what happens. I have now re-loaded images hope all is well. I can now see them hope the rest can ?
      Last edited by Helipixman; 9th January 2017, 20:31.

• Warty
      Warty commented
      Editing a comment
      All the pics now show up for me

From http://picasa.google.com - 'We’ve decided to retire Picasa in order to focus on a single photo service in Google Photos – a new, smarter photo app that works seamlessly across mobile and the web., . . . until it doesn't.

edit: like with Panoramio, the maps API, Google Code etc

• Although we already have some shots of RA-05702, here is one more to add to the collection!

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      According to Jos' list this is 058, a Soko bird, ex-YU-HFI.

• Any help identifying the Gaz in the above video will be appreciated.

Anthony Chan's SA341G N552T (cn 1246) as seen at Chino Airport in California in 2008 (Photo: Paul Rumsey)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      Any help identifying the Gaz in the above video will be appreciated.
      Judging by the seats, I'd say one of demobbed UK Army machines.

Comment

• Warty
        Warty commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd agree with that and (from the instrument panel) more likely ex-Army than ex-RN/RAF

• Peter Podlunsek flying his Zivko Edge 540 V2 raceplane between two Montenegro Air Force's Gazelles.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice one Zis!

• So, a bit early for my Wednesday morning slot but I wanted to make sure it would work, especially as I have other commitments tomorrow morning

I have added/started a new topic called Gazelle Data Sources. The idea is to help readers / contributors find further information about Gazelles. The way that this is intended to work is that the new topic's first post will be updated from any later posts /suggestions / comments. So, ideally, if you are looking for a list of links you should not need to go any further than this original post. But if you want to add a new suggestion just make a reply to that topic and someone will look at it.

Here it is for starters:

AAIB - Aircraft Accident Investigation Branch (UK).

Air Britain - Gazelle Photos.

AviaFora Search the site itself - because it may already be covered here!
      This is just an example: swap 'G-MANN' for whatever it is you are looking for.

Avia Logs - Some old Gazelle flight manuals.

CAA - Accidents, incidents & notifications from the Civil Aviation Authority (UK).

DeMobbed - Former UK Military Gazelles.

Flickr - Gazelle Photos.
      Flickr variation - SA341 Photos.

Flight Magazine - Mentions of Gazelles in older Flight International Magazines.

Flying Marines - from the early 1900s to the modern day.

Helis - Gazelles around the world.

PPRUNE - Gazelles thread on Professional Pilot's Rumour Network.

RotorSpot - Gazelle production list (worldwide). 'Rotorspot' is also a site member and has kindly offered to supply the Gaz list to other members as XLS, CSV or plain text format. See this post.

UK Serials - Gazelles in the UK.

WikiMedia - Some UK Mil Gazelle photos.
      WikiMedia - Some SA341/342 photos.

Comment

• Farewell Rainbow!

YU-HWF waiting to be loaded on the truck and roadrun at unknown location. Photo taken in November 10th, 2016 by Alex Lutz.

Any idea where is she now?

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Another lovely shot there Zis, and reminds me that somewhere I think I have a photo of a rainbow coming down right on top of a Gaz, I shall have to look.

Ex G-EHUP a stretched 341G (cn 1407). Someone should hopefully know what is happening with her.

• Qinetiq to Replace Gazelle

Qinetiq are to engage in a fleet modernisation programme following a “ground-up review”, says Nick Lay, Qinetiq’s head of business development for test aircrew training. The company in December 2016 secured an additional £1 billion ($1.2 billion) to support its long-term partnering agreement with the UK Ministry of Defence, with part of this sum enabling it to advance its aircraft purchase plans.

Qinetiq has recently ordered two Swiss-built PC-21s which will enter service from 2019 and replace BAE Hawk T1s and Dassault Alpha Jets. Qinetiq is also seeking to retire a pair of Shorts Tucano basic trainers and a Gazelle helicopter which are used to support the test pilot and flight-test engineer training activities of ETPS.
      https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...rchase-433054/

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes agreed, regarding the non-replacement of XZ936.

Re: 'A New Lease of Life', this is almost certainly to have been about the news item here linked, as opposed to extending the life of the ETPS Gazelles, but I am sure you already know that!

News item here> http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=5907#post5907

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        Anyone go to the lecture? If so do you have a copy of the presentation or hand out notes?

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        FS: Someone has contacted the RAeS requesting the lecture notes but were informed that details from the lecture would not be made public as there were evidently aspects of the presentation which revealed operating procedures as well as other information which the MoD were apparently okay with sharing in a lecture, but not willing to publish. Perhaps however someone can obtain the essence of the presentation from an alternative source.

• RF-14009 in Rossija (NFI)

Comment

• Ah, one of the unknowns. Does anyone have a construction number for this one?

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Vitaly is on his Christmas holidays but, once he returns I will ask him if he happens to know. One of the interesting things about this bird is her 'RF' prefix which, following on from Zis' question and Vitaly's response, means that presumably she was (or is) a state-operated craft?

• New Export to South Africa

G-CHLU GAZELLE AH.1, c/n 1237, was cancelled 11-Jan-2017 on export to SOUTH AFRICA.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Another Paramount bird. No doubt GazEngineer has worked on this.

• ALAT SA342 on approach to Chambéry, ​Savoie

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          On approach but climbing at 2800 hm/mn and pulling 95% torque :-)

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha .. brilliant! Well spotted.

• SA341G F-WTNA (cn 1001)

F-WTNA, Aérospatiale's first SA341 demonstrator.

Original post.

Comment

• Polizei Niedersachsen SA341G D-HOPL (cn 1095) as seen at Hannover Airport on 1st May 1976 (Photo: Johan Visschedijk)

Comment

• Another video find on the net!

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, you climbed like a homesick angels!

Thanks for video, Steve!

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
          Oh, you climbed like a homesick angels!

Thanks for video, Steve!
          Quite apt is that as the other pilot is now one of them angels , Big Nige sorely missed wingman.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            The loss of Nigel continues to be a painful reminder of the paradox which illustrates how brutal life can be while at the same time exposing just how vulnerable it is. Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out towards his family and friends for their consolation.

• I have now set up a specific thread for this event.

Click here: The Gazelle 50th Commemorative Fly In
          Last edited by N48284; 14th January 2017, 08:11.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Great stuff Andy! Once again well done on this initiative. I am sure this is going to be a wonderful occasion.

We are encouraging as many Aviaforans as possible to support this event!

• N48284
            N48284 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Sav, glad we could finally go public now all hurdles crossed. Public tickets will go on sale through the Army Museum of Flying's website from Wednesday.

• More from Rossija ..

Per Stefano!

A while back Steve mentioned that he quite liked the colour scheme on this bird so, here are a couple more takes:

SA341F RA-1558G as seen landing at Heli-Drive's Heliport in St. Petersburg on 6th April 2013 (Photo: Igor Dvurekov)

SA341F RA-1558G as seen in Pskov, Russia on 25th November 2012 (Photo: Igor Bubin)

Comment

SA341F RA-1558G
            Are we sure this is a 341F, as it does not have any wire cutters and AFAIK all French 341F's had them? I would be surprised if anyone would remove them.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              From what I'm learning .. sure, Russian and Gazelle don't seem to have much synergy but its a good point you make and may help narrow down the origins of this craft.

All I can say is that both photographers have labelled 58G as an SA341F, but I agree - it would be a fiddly and time-consuming job for comparatively little reduction in weight while removing a safety feature so, its doesn't make much sense.

With our growing Russian contacts we hope to be able to uncover the origins of some of the Russian Gazelles although it seems as if in some cases this may be unlikely as the craft are (as we have in Italia) a composite of several airframes (and pieces), ie. 'Heinz Gazelles' but without (in some cases) being attributed to any specific airframe. Experimental Gazelles I suppose?

• Ahead of 29 Flt AAC undertaking essential currency flying in the Canadian Rockies last month, a detachment of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) worked in temperatures as low as minus 26 degrees celsius to prepare the aircraft for flight.

This included replacing the battery, warming the aircraft's avionics bay and essential systems with a generator-heater and removing its winter covers - a climactically testing environment for both the aircrew and the REME.

- Sgt Simon Longworth, 29 Flt AAC
            All photos by Simon Longworth:

..... Click on logos for more info

Comment

• md600driver
              md600driver commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that a blue Gazelle with the orange day glow engine covers ?

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the 'blue' effect is because of flash and poor light conditions (see the first image)

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I think we are looking at a lighting issue plus, I believe there is a blue tarpaulin over part of the tailrotor driveshaft. Strangely the driveshaft couplings seem to be uncovered, you would think they might want to cover everything, but there we are!

From what I'm learning .. sure, Russian and Gazelle don't seem to have much synergy but its a good point you make and may help narrow down the origins of this craft.

All I can say is that both photographers have labelled 58G as an SA341F, but I agree - it would be a fiddly and time-consuming job for comparatively little reduction in weight while removing a safety feature so, its doesn't make much sense.

With our growing Russian contacts we hope to be able to uncover the origins of some of the Russian Gazelles although it seems as if in some cases this may be unlikely as the craft are (as we have in Italia) a composite of several airframes (and pieces), ie. 'Heinz Gazelles' but without (in some cases) being attributed to any specific airframe. Experimental Gazelles I suppose?
            In fact all Gazelles are how you put it .. Heinz! The only part that follows the aircraft is the data plate. On a 8/9000 hours mil Gazelle all the running components will be different from when it was made. If the aircraft had tail damage the tail would be replaced and sent for repair then put back in stock for the next repair needed. If the cabin gets damaged in a heavy landing the cabin could get replaced and so on. The only part not replaced is the data plate.

It's a bit like Triggers broom! We have in the UK a TV programme called Only Fools and Horses and in this programme there is an actor called 'Trigger' who talks about this broom (a sweeping brush) which he has had for many years but which has had lots of replacement handles and brush ends!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah Stefano you are making me laugh! This is a great explanation, bravo!

I think the challenge in some cases is that with some of the rebuilds the owner doesn't want to identify or tie the aircraft to a specific airframe or serial number (ie. data plate), I'm not sure why, but am told that this is one of the reasons there are so many 'unidentified' Gazelles in that part of the world.

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by md600driver View Post
              We have in the UK a TV programme called Only Fools and Horses and in this programme there is an actor called 'Trigger' who talks about this broom (a sweeping brush) which he has had for many years but which has had lots of replacement handles and brush ends!
              Ah, Only Fools and Horses and Delboy's legendary 'This time next year, we'll be Millionaires'
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c51GREQxc30

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Did someone say Del Boy? > https://postimg.cc/image/o4lzy01z7/

Did someone say Del Boy? > https://postimg.org/image/o4lzy01z7/
            ​He's a licensed helicopter pilot. I met him at our local airfield where he was renting an R44 for some flying.

Comment

• 3D-HVW

SA341D 3D-HVW (cn WA1906) as seen at Duxford Aerodrome on 27th September 2001 (Photo: Ray Barber)

Became G-BZDW.

I 'think' Elipix may have a shot of this craft when she was ZB626?

Comment

• md600driver
              md600driver commented
              Editing a comment
              This photo was taken at the Helitech show at Duxford and was the MW Helicopters Gazelle demonstrator. I also flew her on the same day. It was also one of the first civil registered ex UK military Gazelles.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Stefano!

• Shutterstock have labelled the image below as: "A modern helicopter flying over an old style red biplane".

As are aware, the Gaz first flew in '67, whereas the Acroduster wasn't available until 1973!

But it confirms what many already know, and which is that the Gaz has aged well over the years.

SA341G F-GFCI (cn 1206) at Brescia Airfield on 6th September 2009 with Stolp SA700 Acroduster I-DUST

Comment

• Back in September 2011, there was talk of converting a (presumably ageing) Gazelle into a Vertical Take-Off Unmanned Air System (VTUAS). It would combine a QinetiQ Gazelle with a Northrop Grumman MQ-8B Fire Scout system and, for around £10 million, they offered to provide a demo within 12 months.

By July of the following year, the UK MoD had agreed to a 2-year capability concept-demonstrator programme designated by then as an RWUAS (Rotary Wing Unmanned Air System). A contract was scheduled to be placed by January 2013 for up to £4.5 million.

However, the MOD ruled out acquiring the US Navy developed MQ-8 Fire Scout system, saying it “does not meet any endorsed UK capability need.” In 2013 the Royal Navy placed a £2.3 million two year contract with AugustaWestland to research a RWUAS, based on the EASA certified SW-4 light single helicopter.

That September 2011 story in full:

Faced with lean budgets and an increasingly complex and dangerous defence and security environment, the UK urgently needs to be able to continue to produce clever, robust solutions for less money.

One such area where an innovative, affordable solution may one day unseat more expensive technology programmes falls within the Royal Navy’s ability to provide superior persistent Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR).

QinetiQ and Northrop Grumman believe that they have identified a reliable, cost-effective Vertical Take-Off Unmanned Air System (VTUAS) capability that could form the basis for a radical change in the conduct of maritime patrol and war-fighting operations by the Royal Navy.

This is the view of Jeremy Howitt, QinetiQ's Assistant Technical Director with the company's Air Engineering Group, who has announced an intention to integrate the Northrop Grumman Fire Scout Vehicle Management System (VMS) into the Gazelle helicopter to create a UK VTUAS capability at this year's DSEi exhibition.

Mr Howitt says that the conversion of a Gazelle into a VTUAS platform compares to the Northrop Grumman Fire-X conversion of the Bell 407, which has recently been approved by the US Navy with plans to acquire 28 air vehicles for deployment from 2014.

“There are many VTUAS on the market, from model-scale vehicles up to full-scale helicopters and with an equally wide range of capabilities, but currently only the Fire Scout is operating from ships and delivering military effect on a regular basis,” says Mr Howitt.

The Northrop Grumman Fire Scout is the world's first and currently only shipborne VTUAS and is proving to be an extremely valuable persistent ISR platform for the US Navy in the Gulf, Afghanistan and Libya. Indeed, so successful has the Fire Scout been that the Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Gary Roughead, speaking at this year’s AUVSI Unmanned Systems Symposium and Exhibition, said: “With our Fire Scout unmanned helicopter, we deployed that two years ahead of its initial operating capability date. Although that system for the Navy was procured to operate off of our ships, it is operating ashore in Afghanistan and there is an additional demand for more Fire Scouts to support operations there.”

The recommended UK platform for the Fire Scout conversion, the Gazelle, is a highly respected and reliable helicopter which is currently flown by the British Army Air Corps. It is recognised that the Gazelle is a short-term solution, but it provides an extremely cost effective way for the Royal Navy to gain valuable, early operational experience with a VTUAS with a view to re-hosting the system in a more capable airframe as part of the Future Force 2020. The conversion of a Gazelle into a VTUAS platform would take place at MOD Boscombe Down, which is run and managed by QinetiQ, while the flight test work for the demonstrator programme would be conducted at the QinetiQ West Wales UAV Centre.

“The Royal Navy has a number of capability gaps in the ISR arena, which can be significantly improved by an affordable shipborne VTUAS solution that brings together the highly successful Fire Scout capability, while leveraging the proven reliability and low cost of the Gazelle,” says Mr Howitt, who also led QinetiQ's flight trials programme with the T4 Vectored-thrust Aircraft Advanced Control (VAAC) Harrier to provide risk reduction for the F-35B Lightning II STOVL aircraft.

The conversion and subsequent demonstrator programme has the full support of Northrop Grumman. Scott Winship, Vice President, Advanced Concepts Air and Land, Northrop Grumman, said: “Unmanned air systems have demonstrated their increasing operational utility in recent years, particularly when enabled by advances in satellite guidance and communications, computerised flight control systems, and new sensor technologies. The introduction of VTUAS capabilities takes this journey to an exciting new level and as such Northrop Grumman is pleased to support QinetiQ in the development of a Vertical Take-Off UAS for the Royal Navy.”

Comment

Working...
              X