Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Mark

Read the Shrieking Gazelles tribute to Mark here.

Comment

• G-OGAZ Change of Ownership

G-OGAZ SA341G (1274) is currently subject to a change of ownership.

Will advise when further details become available.

Comment

• Hughes 300C (269C) G-BCDW (cn 1030242) as seen at Denham Aerodrome on 1st January 1978 (Photo: Clive Glaister)

The nose of G-BAGJ visible inside Point to Point's hangar at Denham.

SA341G G-BAGJ (cn WA1039) as seen at Denham Aerodrome on 20th June 1977 (Photo: Clive Glaister)

Though registered to 'United Marine' this craft flew with Point to Point Helicopters from 1974 to 1979 whereupon she was sold to Switzerland where she flew with Air Zermatt as HB-XIL until 1982 when she was bought by SFT to become G-SFTA.

With our great thanks to Clive for contributing these splendid photos to 'Shrieking Gazelles'. Grazie mille Clive!

Comment

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          I was lucky enough to fly in this Gazelle from Battersea Heliport to Leavesden in 1974 with Point to Point. Arranged by the heliport manager who knew we lived not too far from Leavesden. He promptly phoned my parents and although amazed they picked us up from the airfield. Happy memories. May have a photo from that day, will look for it.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, lovely memories Elipix.

Ah Battersea in the 70's .. Johnny Johnson and Dave Ward .. many fond memories also!

• Indeed, thanks a lot Clive for these nice photos!

Before it became Point to Point's flagship, G-BAGJ used to be Westland Helicopters demo machine.

This photo scanned from an old promotional slide.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice Zis.

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
        G-OGAZ has been a potential change of ownership for a while now. It was reported as being roaded south in mid October 2016. Nobody seems to know where to though ? Unless any aviaforan knows different.
        Think you will find she is off to the Caribbean.

Comment

• GazEngineer
          GazEngineer commented
          Editing a comment
          She has been with us for a long time now there is a slight change to her looks I'll keep it as a surprise

• Sav,

I will blame the predictive text on my keypad, but the skid sentence should have read, 'skid down tube, with attached (Slingsby of Kirkbymoorside designed) flare mounting'. Skids being 100% Aerospatiale.

Yes, to my knowledge, the Astazou remains there til this day!.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, okay.

Let's go fishing for Astazou, lol!

• RF-00383

SA341 RF-00383 as seen at Kubinka Airbase on 27th March 2008 (Photo: Sergey Korolkov)

This craft may have become RA-1347G.

Jos, in 'Gazelles For Sale' RA-1739G (which we last saw just before Christmas on the back of a truck in Moscow) is up for sale. In the description there is reference to her being built by Soko, which of course is confusing given that this craft is associated with construction number 1299.

Perhaps Zis can ascertain whether 39G is in fact a Soko bird?

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          39G looks like a Westland to me, also Soko used 3B engines not 3N2.

• Rotorspot
          Rotorspot commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. The Russian aircraft register shows the aircraft type for RA-1739G as 'HT Mark 2', but no c/n being mentioned.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie XB.

Si Jos, it is probably as you have it, as cn. 1299. What a confusion these Russian Gazelles are!

• YU-HES

SA342J YU-HES (cn 1057) as seen over Cumbria on 18th April 2008 (Photo: Shaun Connor)

This craft is ex F-GOSO. Thinking of calling her 'Gertrude' after one of Hermann Hesse's first novels!

The following photos were captured while Gertrude was on wedding duty at Knowlton Court in Kent. No further details unfortunately:

I was just thinking to myself that Gertrude's panel looks quite tidy.

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          apparently they replaced the upper left warning panel with a radalt

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Useful for IFR ops!

So where do you think the warning panel might have moved to?

• More YU- Gazelles in the UK (the first few)

HELIPIXMAN Collection

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely shots as always Elipix!

Interesting to see YU-HEE (cn 014) and which I never knew existed, parked beneath the power lines with G-BCHM in the background. Jos' records show that this craft went on to become RA-00502.

Be interesting to know here HEH (cn 011) was photographed.

And HEI (cn 012) this was Mark's other Gazelle.

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          YU-HEE with G-BCHM and a couple others were parked in the back garden of a private site near Ware, Hertfordshire while YU-HEH was parked in the front garden of the same house.

YU-HEE did become RA-00502 which sadly crashed in Moscow on 2.6.00 killing eye surgeon Svyatoslav Fyodorov.

• Tunisian Air Force

Tunisian Air Force SA342 (Photo: O. Lafuma)

Tunisian Air Force SA342 ​L61 111 as seen taking part in a military exercise with Tunisian Army special forces along the Libyan border, near the Ras Jedir crossing point, on 6th February 2016

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          looks like a ex french mil 341 to me.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie XB. I am sure you are right.

• YU-HOT has been seen at Stapleford Tawney. Currently no idea as to identity. Its apparently all dark green with a gold registration. It has the short stabiliser fins.

Any ideas on Identity ?

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you thinking that it could be your former neighbour G-OGAZ?

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think its G-OGAZ that was a very dark blue not green. My best guess at present is G-WCRD owned by MW Helicopters.
          Last edited by Helipixman; 16th March 2017, 21:47.

• N48284
          N48284 commented
          Editing a comment
          G-WRCD confirmed by MW to a friend of mine.

YU-HOT has been seen at Stapleford Tawney. Currently no idea as to identity. Its apparently all dark green with a gold registration. It has the short stabiliser fins.

Any ideas on Identity ?
        Possibly one of MW's ex-UK stretched Gazelles which has now been put on the YU reg.

Comment

• The most recent Serbian aircraft register is dated 18-Apr-2016, so that is not much help. I will keep you informed of anything that pops up.

Comment

• New Gazelle Registration Confirmed in South Africa

About a month ago I reported the export of N210GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1210, to SOUTH AFRICA.

It is now confirmed that she has become ZU-ROF.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Bravo Jos!

• Seeing as Jos has mentioned South African Gazelles ..

Gaz flying in South Africa, March 2017 NFI (Photo: Wayde Mostert)

Rossiya

Gaz in Russia, March 2017 NFI

Not satisfied with surrounding Gaz serial numbers in a shroud of mystery, our Russian comrades are now obscuring their registrations too .. although this might be WA1802. Not sure.

Comment

• xbdt
              xbdt commented
              Editing a comment
              certainly Westland from MW.

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks very much like WA1802 ex G-CHBR which became RA-05706

• ZU-RJH

SA341F2 ZU-RJH (cn 1374) as seen at Wonderboom Airport in South Africa on 24 February 2017

ALAT

SA342M Viviane at Aérodrome d'Agen, La Garenne in 2015 (Photo: Suire Thierry)

Comment

• YU-HOT confirmed as ex G-WCRD.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Well done Elipix.

• Rotorspot
                Rotorspot commented
                Editing a comment
                Well done. The CAA still lists G-WCRD as being current.

• Heli-Expo

An SA341F2 as seen at Heli-Expo in Dallas on 9th March 2017

Comment

• more Heli Expo

The Gazelle on display was ZU-RRE an SA.341F2 s/n 1172

Photos taken at Heli Expo 2017 by Ian T

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bravo Elipix!

Btw, do you happen to know what is fitted just above the tail nav light?

• Not exactly sure but having looked at some photographs it only seems to appear on French military machines. Red nav light ?

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well done Elipix!

I've just had Chris Bateman (owner of Rotor Leasing, see link below) confirm that it is a position light for NVG formation flying.

Evidently there are two up front, one on top of the engine, and one on the tail. According to Chris they are very effective.

Rotor Leasing > http://www.rotorleasing.com/

• Zishelix posted a photo of the 342M version of NVG ' formation light' array in post 2123 on page 71.

nosco

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well spotted Nosco!

Zis' photo also displays the housing for the missile warning sensors which set-off the chaff dispensers.

Speaking of Zis .. it appears as if he gone on 'spring break', possibly at one of the hotels in Monaco or something! He usually let's me know when he's going 'off forum' for a while, but I suspect he may have been in a hurry to go on vacation!

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha-ha, well noticed Sav. What can I say, 'guilty as charged' No real excuse for my silence, maybe just Spring Fatigue. However, I'll try to overcome.

• Two Serbian pilot officers in a Serbian Gazelle somewhere in Serbia (Photo: Bojan Peric)

Commander: "Now, as I was saying .. simply by looking at the reflection in the camera lens I am able to remove the door pin."

Co-pilot: "Ah yes boss I see it. That is very impressive!"

Co-pilot: "Err boss, forgive me for asking .. but, when exactly will we be required to do this?"

Commander: "Oh Aleksander isn't this obvious? This is what you must do if the door jettison handle becomes stuck - then you must fly the aircraft with your left hand like so."

Co-pilot: "Thank you boss, sorry. And boss, what if there is no camera lens to look into when this happens?"

Commander: "Aleksandar, when I recommended you for pilot training there were those who questioned my judgement in this matter, however .. notwithstanding the doubts of others I firmly believed that you had the potential to become a good pilot. I urge you though not to make me rethink my confidence in you by asking stupid questions!"

Co-pilot: "Sorry boss."

Comment

• Position lights for NVG formation flying.

Helipixman collection

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice one Elipix!

They all seem to be positioned to be viewed from the aft quarters.

It would interesting one day to get some video footage showing how these appear through NVG.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                  Commander: "Now, as I was saying .. simply by looking at the reflection in the camera lens I am able to remove the door pin."
                  Err .. Could have been funny if it was a MD500, but the Gazelle has the release on the inside!

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Drat! Just when one has visions of attending the comedian's ball!

• Another ex French Army Gazelle Registered in the USA

N321VV, SA341F2, c/n 1558, ex ALAT 1558;

Registered 20-Mar-2017 to POTTCO TACTICAL AIR LLC.

Comment

• More Gazelle news

N1433W SA.341F2 c/n 1433 ex ALAT 1433
                    Registered 21 March 2017 to Theodore R Wright Enterprises Inc
                    This gives them 5 Gazelles all of which came through AEROTEC, France

N321VV The owner of this is Mike Vandevoort who also has fixed wing jets. Dornier Alphajet and a SIAI Marchetti S.211 Jet.

N37UP seems this is no longer registered to Max Chachouk ? New registration date of 17.6.16 to Aircraft Guaranty Corp Trustee so could now be anywhere ?

Comment

• Rotorspot
                      Rotorspot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. The FAA registry only shows the registered owner, not the factual owner/operator.

• xbdt
                      xbdt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      N37UP is in Italy now.

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes indeed she is, and you may see a video clip of her departing Aeroporto di Pavullo nel Frignano in Modena here:
                      > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=6912#post6912

• SA342L HA-LFQ (cn 1854) (Photo: Tomco Bartell)

No date or location provided with this shot, but she looks to be at Bourne Park.

This is the Gaz Steve bought from the Irish Air Corps, ex-241, now flying as the 'Razor' in South Africa (ZU-RZR).

Comment

• Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland

Gazelle Electrician Wanted

Aeropeople are looking for a Gazelle Electrician to join a mobile team for 11 months. The contract will initially start in Northern Ireland and then it will move to Canada.

We are looking for someone who has extensive experience on the Gazelle platform who ideally has an independent inspection authorisation. Ideally the candidate will have been working on a hands on role and be confident with critical systems and modifications.

Meals and accommodation will be paid for with a very attractive hourly rate.
                      http://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/a...st-aeropeople/

Comment

• GAZ 50 NEWS!!

We have today received confirmation that the Army de Terre will be sending two Gazelles from 3RHC!!

Also confirmed to attend is G-EZZL, a Gazelle HT.3, and also G-TRDS a Cabri G2.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bravo Andy! Glad to see that ALAT have done the right thing and that Bill Pitcher is also pitching-in!

More Gazelle News

N1433W
                        SA.341F2 c/n 1433 ex ALAT 1433. Registered 21 March 2017 to Theodore R Wright Enterprises Inc.
                        This gives them 5 Gazelles all of which came through AEROTEC, France.

I happen to be working with Aeromecanic (TR Wright enterprises is part owner). We are finishing the restoration of TR Wright's Gazelle SN:1575 and have started restoration on SN: 1558 which is owned by POTTCO (Mike), a warbird enthusiast group in Iowa. It will remain in military colors and will be complimented by an updated military style interior which we are creating.

We will also be restoring SN: 1433 after 1558, and which is going to a customer in South Dakota.

This will bring to 13 the number of Gazelles which we have restored

— Chris Bateman
                        With many thanks to Chris for this update.

You may visit Rotor Leasing here.

Rotor Leasing's Trailer

Comment

Working...
                        X